What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (17 Viewers)

And #### ESPN . 8 million college basketball games more important than one of the handful of games the US will play this year? 

The roster is lacking star power.
That's how I've always seen these. Every game matters because there are so few- even if it's just youth guys who may never see meaningful minutes. In this case, I think we'll see a lot of these guys. And if this was a Tuesday night in Dayton, maybe...but a gorgeous day in LA with the home team vs a regional nemesis...yes, should be more asses in seats.

That's how I've always seen these. Every game matters because there are so few- even if it's just youth guys who may never see meaningful minutes. In this case, I think we'll see a lot of these guys. And if this was a Tuesday night in Dayton, maybe...but a gorgeous day in LA with the home team vs a regional nemesis...yes, should be more asses in seats.
I am not  big fan of the prices US Soccer has for these games.  I don't know what it was today but in the past they have been way too high for meaningless friendlies.

We also need to acknowledge that the team is the least popular it has been since I would say the very very early 90's.

I am not  big fan of the prices US Soccer has for these games.  I don't know what it was today but in the past they have been way too high for meaningless friendlies.

We also need to acknowledge that the team is the least popular it has been since I would say the very very early 90's.
Didn't know about the prices. That would be beyond idiotic to jack up this kind of game. 

Beyond the players listed so far I thought Cannon had a good game. 
very steady on both sides of the ball.   He made a couple of key defensive plays when the US got countered and he connected well with Nips offensively.

It feels like RB might be our deepest position on the field right now.  The guy starting in the EPL could be easily be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

I hope some German teams are scouting Cannon.  He feels like he is ready to make the jump to a big league.

Beyond the players listed so far I thought Cannon had a good game. 
very steady on both sides of the ball.   He made a couple of key defensive plays when the US got countered and he connected well with Nips offensively.

It feels like RB might be our deepest position on the field right now.  The guy starting in the EPL could be easily be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

I hope some German teams are scouting Cannon.  He feels like he is ready to make the jump to a big league.
He's been a solid steady surprise since first appearing on the team.

That's said, I mentioned his side being exposed three times on the first half on the counter with him pushed offscreen upfield. Felt tactical on both parts- him given the command to push high when the balls on the opposite side and CR knowing to attack that side in that circumstance. Fortunately CR couldn't get the ball across field any of those times, so the US didn't suffer for it. Other than that, totally agree.

Only one player caught my eye as being off the pace and not ready today...servania, but granted in very limited minutes. Everybody else did themselves well and earned more looks as far as I'm concerned. Couldn't ask for more from this type of game.

Andy- you said you thought CR had some regulars out there?

Andy- you said you thought CR had some regulars out there?
Yes, the team was loaded with players who had plenty of caps, Dunseth harped on this a lot during the English broadcast (I know you missed this),  wondering why the CR coach went this path when Olympic qualifying is right around the corner.  They might not be first choice type players but they were all established pros with plenty of national team experience.  

The US had 4 players who started who had 0 caps and then added 2 more as subs who had no caps.

@DelythLloyd1

Paul Cook on Antonee Robinson told me that everyone at @wafc was "gutted" for him that a transfer deadline day move AC Milan fell through. "That move will materialize in the future."

####

========

Joe Prince-Wright

@JPW_NBCSports

Chelsea reveal #USMNT star Christian Pulisic suffered a setback as he tried to return from injury. Frank Lampard: “We tried to get him out there last week, step it up a little bit, but we had to pull out of that"

Did you watch it?
No.  Just was posting the score since no one mentioned it and it doesn't come up on a google search unless you dive into an article.

Really not that much interest until things get real.  I think you mentioned the lack of real games not being a good thing.  Seems like interest int he USMNT is tailing off as our players are gaining a foothold in Europe.  Doesn't help that most of the good players seem to always be hurt.  Very important for us to get an Olympic berth IMO.

No.  Just was posting the score since no one mentioned it and it doesn't come up on a google search unless you dive into an article.

Really not that much interest until things get real.  I think you mentioned the lack of real games not being a good thing.  Seems like interest int he USMNT is tailing off as our players are gaining a foothold in Europe.  Doesn't help that most of the good players seem to always be hurt.  Very important for us to get an Olympic berth IMO.
Agree all around.

Fwiw, I think this was a more an Olympic team than a senior team. Fun to see some real quality out there in Uly and Jesus especially. But yeah...they have to qualify 

Agree all around.

Fwiw, I think this was a more an Olympic team than a senior team. Fun to see some real quality out there in Uly and Jesus especially. But yeah...they have to qualify 
This is a good time to remind everyone that we might have to lower our expectations for Olympic qualifying as the US ended up in pretty much the toughest group imaginable with Mexico and CR while the tournament is in Mexico.

I figure qualification may come down to the single game against CR.  I like the US chances against any one from the other group in the semi finals.  It may be harder to get to the semi finals than it is to get to the finals.

And while we have a loaded U23 group (Pulisic, Dest, Adams, Swag, Weah, Sargent, Uly, Jesus, Richards, Konrad, Gio etc etc etc) we have no idea if any will be released.  We could end up fielding a team of MLS subs instead of these players.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good time to remind everyone that we might have to lower our expectations for Olympic qualifying as the US ended up in pretty much the toughest group imaginable with Mexico and CR while the tournament is in Mexico.

I figure qualification may come down to the single game against CR.  I like the US chances against any one from the other group in the semi finals.  It may be harder to get to the semi finals than it is to get to the finals.

And while we have a loaded U23 group (Pulisic, Dest, Adams, Swag, Weah, Sargent, Uly, Jesus, Richards, Konrad, Gio etc etc etc) we have no idea if any will be released.  We could end up fielding a team of MLS subs instead of these players.
Love the catch-22.  On one hand we really need to qualify for the Olympics from a high level perspective (just win something, you bums), but on the other hand our top U23 players are all so good at Euro clubs that we probably won't be allowed to use them.  :lol:   :kicksrock:

Love the catch-22.  On one hand we really need to qualify for the Olympics from a high level perspective (just win something, you bums), but on the other hand our top U23 players are all so good at Euro clubs that we probably won't be allowed to use them.  :lol:   :kicksrock:
If we get a full team, healthy against everyone else's full team healthy, I put our chances at 90% in terms of qualifying.  No one, even Mexico, has this many good young players.

However, I honestly have no idea what is going to happen if most don't get released (which is what we all should expect).

We play CR first.  Qualifying could, in all reality, be over should the US lose that first game to CR.

By the way, the real doomsday scenario is this.

No one in Europe releases the players and MLS players go on strike (the new CBA is not yet signed), leaving them out of game shape come qualifying.

(the report is in Bulgarian so I won't link it)

========================================

@BrianSciaretta

Per this report in Bulgaria, U.S. U-20 and Aston Villa attacking mid Indiana Vassilev has apparently turned down a call-up from Bulgaria.

@BrianSciaretta

Per this report in Bulgaria, U.S. U-20 and Aston Villa attacking mid Indiana Vassilev has apparently turned down a call-up from Bulgaria.
Hope that's true. Also hope we can see him in a camp and/or game to see if he's up to snuff.

NewlyRetired said:

@BrianSciaretta

He would've needed to file a switch correct?

Holmes with a 1st half goal in FA cup.

Yedlin on the field in FA cup.

Gio and Sarge facing eachother on the benches in pokal 

Holy ####.

And the kid just runs back to his side like he's done it a million times.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Ned

Users who are viewing this thread