Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

16 minutes ago, zoobird said:

Ummm...why did Reyna get a yellow card there?

simulation.

Reyna just put it on a plate for Reus to tie the game and Reus hit it poorly.

Edited by NewlyRetired

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

simulation.

Reyan just put it on a plate for Reus to tie the game and he hit it poorly.

He had a couple of other nice passes sandwiching the goal too.  By far the best game he's had for them.

• Like 1

Announcer just said that Reyna is the youngest goal scorer in the German Cup history but that can't be.  Maybe he meant in Dortmund history

What a fabulous game :)

By the way, as good as Gio has been, it has to be said that Sargent continues to regress.  He looks so blah this year.

Still shaking my head. What a goal.

I really think Reyna is Pulisic-level special.   Just stick him at the #10 for the next 12 years right now as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Well, that was delightful. I liked some of those one-timers out of midfield almost as much as the goal.

And he was involved a ton considering he played less than a half hour.  Lots to like there.

I'm at the point with him that I think the US should just plug him in and let him go.  Front six of Pulisic, Sargent/Jozy, Weah?, Reyna, Adams and McKennie and let's see how it evolves.

12 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

And he was involved a ton considering he played less than a half hour.  Lots to like there.

I'm at the point with him that I think the US should just plug him in and let him go.  Front six of Pulisic, Sargent/Jozy, Weah?, Reyna, Adams and McKennie and let's see how it evolves.

I'm sure Gio will have a role in this cycle.  For me, I'd be happy for him to stay in Dortmund training or playing through the end of the season (no March camp and no Olympic qualifying call-up).  Then I'd call him into the Olympic team if we qualify and start giving him senior camps, bringing him along as a sub at first.  I think Uly and Gio should start their senion NT career just worrying about being guys who bring a spark off the bench.  It gives them less to think about and allows guys like Lletget and Arriola, who have had a lot of time to absorb what GGG is trying to do and who are better suited to putting in some dirty work, the chance to start until the young guys have had a bit more time to gel.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I'm sure Gio will have a role in this cycle.  For me, I'd be happy for him to stay in Dortmund training or playing through the end of the season (no March camp and no Olympic qualifying call-up).  Then I'd call him into the Olympic team if we qualify and start giving him senior camps, bringing him along as a sub at first.  I think Uly and Gio should start their senion NT career just worrying about being guys who bring a spark off the bench.  It gives them less to think about and allows guys like Lletget and Arriola, who have had a lot of time to absorb what GGG is trying to do and who are better suited to putting in some dirty work, the chance to start until the young guys have had a bit more time to gel.  

That sounds sensible, responsible and boring (and probably right).  And I forgot about Uly.

So let's FF five years and assume none of the 15 year olds we've never really heard of pan out.

What's your dream lineup look like?  How do you get Pulisic, Reyna, Uly, Adams and McKennie on the field at the same time?  Who's the sixth to go with them?

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

@FutureUsmnt

Not a bad week for American teenagers:

Sergino Dest: Masterclass and Man of the Match vs. PSV

Uly Llanez: Scores on USMNT debut

Konrad: Scores first goal for Barca B and trains with Barca 1st team

Gio Reyna: Becomes youngest goalscorer in DFB Pokal history

All 19 or under

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2

btw... reading through the ASN 100 just now I realized I have what seems to be an unreasonable crush on Lima.  Is he not as good as I think he is?  Love what I've seen of his game, but it's admittedly not a lot.

1 minute ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

btw... reading through the ASN 100 just now I realized I have what seems to be an unreasonable crush on Lima.  Is he not as good as I think he is?  Love what I've seen of his game, but it's admittedly not a lot.

We are over loaded at RB (relatively speaking).

Dest, Yedlin, Cannon and Lima are all decent players.  I think Dest has a chance to be special, at least on the offensive side of the game.  Cannon is probably the best two way RB we have and Yedlin some how is still holding down an EPL job, which is far from easy for an American these days.

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

We are over loaded at RB (relatively speaking).

Dest, Yedlin, Cannon and Lima are all decent players.  I think Dest has a chance to be special, at least on the offensive side of the game.  Cannon is probably the best two way RB we have and Yedlin some how is still holding down an EPL job, which is far from easy for an American these days.

Left back?

7 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

That sounds sensible, responsible and boring (and probably right).  And I forgot about Uly.

So let's FF five years and assume none of the 15 year olds we've never really heard of pan out.

What's your dream lineup look like?  How do you get Pulisic, Reyna, Uly, Adams and McKennie on the field at the same time?  Who's the sixth to go with them?

the 6th has to be a pure striker.  Who that is going to be I have no idea.   Watching Sargent stall in his progress leaves little else to look at.  I still think with our abundance of wing talent, that maybe we can try Weah at the 9.

Just now, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Left back?

we have no one at left back who has stood out.  Every one is either a converted right back or a youngin like Vines.

Same as always in a way.

5 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

we have no one at left back who has stood out.  Every one is either a converted right back or a youngin like Vines.

Same as always in a way.

I mean Lima.  Hasn't he played there?

12 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

I mean Lima.  Hasn't he played there?

yes a bit at club level.  He is decent but he clearly looks like a RB who is trying to play on the left (just like so many others we have tried).

I am giving my Pomykal love 9 more months.  If he can't stay healthy for a decent period of time I am going to have to move on to a new crush.   I think his ceiling may be higher than McKennie's (Weston's foot skills are always going to limit his upside), but if Pomykal can't stay healthy, it is meaningless.

McBride, Jozy, and maybe even Ching in his prime would all be fine as a number 9 with the wing talent we have.

Hell, even a 25 year old Wondo would look pretty damn good right now in this group.

We need some one to emerge.

1 hour ago, TLEF316 said:

I really think Reyna is Pulisic-level special.   Just stick him at the #10 for the next 12 years right now as far as I'm concerned.

the best part of this statement is that he will only be 29 years old and still in his prime at the end of that 12 year period :)

Either Reyna or Pulisic is going to have to move inside eventually, especially if Uly develops like many think he will.  I have no idea who will be better in that roll.

This is a stat that should temper what little hope  any of us had for Konrad, now that he is in the Barca system for another 3 years:

=======================

Since Bartomeu became president of FC Barcelona, 46 players were signed for Barça B. Not a single one proved good enough for the first team

Edited by NewlyRetired

46 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

the 6th has to be a pure striker.  Who that is going to be I have no idea

US invades and conquers Norway over a Greenland negotiation gone bad.  By the time people realize that it’s the wrong Scandinavian country, we call “no backsies” and it’s too late to reverse, making Haaland eligible to play for us.  Problem solved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 2

42 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

the best part of this statement is that he will only be 29 years old and still in his prime at the end of that 12 year period :)

Either Reyna or Pulisic is going to have to move inside eventually, especially if Uly develops like many think he will.  I have no idea who will be better in that roll.

I think it'll be Pulisic at first.  He's already played the #10 role for the US and did well with it(although it resembled a false 9 more than a 10).  However, I think Reyna is going to play that spot ultimately.  I think his skill set is better suited for it than Pulisic's is(as in he would/could be a true #10).  I actually expect he'll morph into that role as he grows into the team at Dortmund too.  Reus is another guy I think is better as a wing or a 9, but gets played as a 10 because Dortmund doesn't have a guy that really fits there(given Gotze's falloff).

• Like 2

I think Gregg will stick more to dual hybrid 8/10s.  It’s really tough to find a 10 really excelling in the world game right now. Almost everyone is playing 4-3-3 and guys like Ozil and Isco just aren’t given the luxury of camping between the lines anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

I think Gregg will stick more to dual hybrid 8/10s.  It’s really tough to find a 10 really excelling in the world game right now. Almost everyone is playing 4-3-3 and guys like Ozil and Isco just aren’t given the luxury of camping between the lines anymore. 

Greggggggg in a media conference today was very quick (almost to the point of annoyance) to make sure the reporter understood that when he said he wanted Adams in the midfield, that he doesn't see him as a 6.   If that is true, it feels like he is thinking of a Yuiell, Adams, McKennie midfield, where Yuiell plays deeper and Adams and Weston function as dual 8's in front of him. 

I personally don't like this as I don't think it plays to what Weston and Adams do best.  Neither are offensive first players but in a dual 8 role, one of them has to be.   And since I mentioned my crush Pomykal earlier, he would be perfect in this type of role because he has solid two way skills.

I continue to think that a 4-3-3 does not get our best players on the field where as a 4-2-3-1 would with Adams and McKennie as the 2, and some mix of Pulisic/Gio/Uly/Morris/Nips/Weah as the 3.

Speaking of Morris, is there any chance he could move into the 9 role?  While his improvement the last two years has been wonderful, I still think Gio and Uly have a bigger upside on the wings.

Edited by NewlyRetired

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Speaking of Morris, is there any chance he could move into the 9 role?  While his improvement the last two years has been wonderful, I still think Gio and Uly have a bigger upside on the wings.

Yes.  He could.  I believe he was a pure striker up until the last couple years or so when he transitioned to RW.  However, he's been much more impressive as a winger than he ever was as a striker(the improvement you've mentioned).  His best attribute is his speed and playing the wing allows him to take the most advantage of that.  

I'm thinking he'll continue to be used as is and will be the presumed starter at RW until one of Uly, Gio, or Weah take it from him.

• Like 2

I was thinking, what US players in history could have scored a goal like Gio scored today? 

Dempsey is one for sure.   Maybe Mathis..... maybe Preki?   That's not a goal that either Donovan or Pulisic (to this point) have shown they can score.

Edited by NewlyRetired

9 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I was thinking, what US players in history could have scored a goal like Gio scored today? 

Dempsey is one for sure.   Maybe Mathis..... maybe Preki?   That's not a goal that either Donovan or Pulisic (to this point) have shown they can score.

Germany Jones in the World Cup (without the dribbles)?

42 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Buh,buh,buh,buh...benny

• Laughing 1

52 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Germany Jones in the World Cup (without the dribbles)?

The Jones goal was an absolute blast.  Perfectly struct, full power shot (shooting and landing on the same leg), using instep.  But those have been done from time to time.  

Reyna's was all finesse using the inside of his foot to softly curl that right in the bread basket with very little room to create any power.

5 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Watching Sargent stall in his progress leaves little else to look at.  

Not a look at me, but I've been pretty vocal on his limitations.

It's better we recognize it now versus 12 months from now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Worm said:

Holy ####.

And the kid just runs back to his side like he's done it a million times.

Our GM noticed that too :)

@BMcBride20

What an amazing first goal for Gio! But for me the reaction he has to get everyone back to kickoff, is even more impressive. It speaks to who he is and what drives him

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

That appears to have been taken down. I never got to see it.

Imagine an Ivory Billed Woodpecker riding a Unicorn and drinking water from the Fountain of Youth out of the Holy Grail.

It was like that.

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

That appears to have been taken down. I never got to see it.

:(

Video unavailable

This video contains content from Athletia DFB, who has blocked it on copyright grounds.

10 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

The Jones goal was an absolute blast.  Perfectly struct, full power shot (shooting and landing on the same leg), using instep.  But those have been done from time to time.  

Reyna's was all finesse using the inside of his foot to softly curl that right in the bread basket with very little room to create any power.

I mean, in terms of pure Thunderbastards, Jones’ pales in comparison to Harkesies’ at Wembley. 

• Like 1

The most impressive part of Gio’s goal IMO was his ability to hit it with virtually no wind up. Just a quick six inch flick of his foot and he places it where I keep the good whiskey. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

The most impressive part of Gio’s goal IMO was his ability to hit it with virtually no wind up. Just a quick six inch flick of his foot and he places it where I keep the good whiskey. 

Was just thinking the same thing after watching it for the 11 thousandth time and imagining myself hitting the same shot a teenager ("imagining"). Hitting it so quickly and without the windup...upper elite Uber status. 

Aside from the amazing goal and unbelievably perfect passing, there was something else that Gio did that was different than Pulisic.  Maybe because Pulisic is so thin, when defenders make contact with him, he's going down 95% of the time.  Gio repeatedly bounced off defenders before continuing to dribble, passing or taking the shot on goal.

I really hope another all-touch video becomes available.

13 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

McBride, Jozy, and maybe even Ching in his prime would all be fine as a number 9 with the wing talent we have.

Hell, even a 25 year old Wondo would look pretty damn good right now in this group.

We need some one to emerge.

Ricardo Pepi is who I'm placing my money on to emerge at Striker from the kids. 

• Like 2

Those bells you hear ringing are the sound of minutes opening up for Gio at exactly the right time

=======================

Borussia Dortmund

@BlackYellow

During yesterday’s match, Marco Reus sustained a muscle injury that looks to keep him sidelined for up to four weeks.

• Thinking 1

1 hour ago, blend said:

Ricardo Pepi is who I'm placing my money on to emerge at Striker from the kids. 

Forgot about Pepi.