What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

The list is so big, it is impossible to keep track of any more

=======

Football Wonderkids

@fbwonderkids

America ‘Teens’ in @UEFA

Sargent, Dest, Reyna, Weah, Richards, Ledezma, Konrad, Soto, Llanez, Méndez, Vassilev, Gloster, Edwards, Bryant, Hategan, dos Santos, Hoppe, Ritchie, Odunze, Gomez, Harper, Kelman, Sepúlveda, Imperato, Las, Butler, Sousa, Otasowie, Nigro, Yohannes, Stroud, Judge, Pynadath, Booth, J.Anderson, L.Lewis, Gioacchini, Sanogo, P.Leal, Ritaccio, Tomkinson, van Hees, N.Jones, P.Soares, Wady, Dietz, Tanton, Oliva, Hernandez Foster
As a guy who is looking to finally get into the mls, what does the above mean for the mls?  I think it’s great for the USMNT, but the above has to be very annoying for owners.  I’m of the opinion they the best chance for success for the league can be exemplified in Miguel Almiron and Atlanta, and in Alphonso Davies.  Sign young players, let them star, then sell them off.

Losing so many young Americans so young has to be a gut punch 

Last edited by a moderator:
As a guy who is looking to finally get into the mls, what does the above mean for the mls?  I think it’s great for the USMNT, but the above has to be very annoying for owners.  I’m of the opinion they the best chance for success for the league can be exemplified in Miguel Almiron and Atlanta, and in Alphonso Davies.  Sign young players, let them star, then sell them off.

It is a difficult situation.  MLS has not yet come up with a real solution for how keep the kids in their academies.  For now it just makes too much financial sense for kids to not sign a pro deal and leave on a free for Europe, where they are being welcomed with open arms because they are so cheap.

Luckily I think the pool is deepening every year so the best case scenario is that we seed kids all over Europe and then still have plenty of talent coming up through the academies to MLS teams.

MLS teams do not have a good track record of selling young players though IMO.  I believe MLS teams are over valuing the young players instead of moving them along for $2-$4m.  Alphonso Davies can't be looked at as the norm that teams think they can make any where close to that money.   He was a once in a generation player who drew a once in a generation transfer fee for a kid developed in an MLS academy.

As a long time the Liverpool fan, it's obviously an unusual situation to get for you since the Liverpool is typically on the other end of losing players.

But hopefully, as MLS continues to grow and develop players in their academies- don't forget, the academies are only a recent thing- and young players go over and start making a name for themselves, and the ones who stay get first team chances and grow as players, the league as a whole will develop a reputation for decent young players. MLS will continue to lose the top youngsters to teams like the Liverpool the way every country does, but there are enough kids here in the academies to keep MLS flush with decent talent imo.

Sigh

===========

@SoccerInsider

Paul Arriola suffered a right knee injury during D.C. United's preseason match vs. Orlando. In a brace, will undergo MRI exam, team says

Looks like Gio's path to the first team just got closer with the Nips news. 

And with the plethora of wingers we have in the pipeline, it is not farfetched to say we may never see Nips in a US kit again if this is as serious as it sounds...

=======

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Suspected ACL tear. Scan in the morning

Looks like Gio's path to the first team just got closer with the Nips news. 

And with the plethora of wingers we have in the pipeline, it is not farfetched to say we may never see Nips in a US kit again if this is as serious as it sounds...

=======

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

Suspected ACL tear. Scan in the morning
I know I'm his only fan in here- final touch/pass warts and all... But he's a solid pro and a decent and consistent player for the US, even if nowhere near a game changer. I think he'll be missed more than you're implying...but I hope not.

Nips is a good soldier. Always shows up and gives his all. Clearly loves playing with the nats and clearly cares.  He's like the anti Timmy Chandler, who has significantly more talent but wilts under anything less than perfect conditions and doesn't seem to give a #### whether they win or lose (basically, he's the embodiment of the argument against the US pursuing "not quite good enough for their real home country" dual Nationals)

I don't think anyone dislikes nips directly. It's more what he represents when forced to be an every game starter that they actually rely on to create offense. At that point, he basically becomes representative of our failings as a soccer nation. On most nights, he just makes me think "is this REALLY the best we can produce?"

17 year old Kobe Foster Hernandez has left LA Galaxy and signed with Wolfsburg in Germany.  He will join them when turns 18 this summer.  This team likes young yanks.  I think that makes 4 Americans in their youth programs.  Hopefully Uly breaks through soon.
Does he have an EU passport?

I know I'm his only fan in here- final touch/pass warts and all... But he's a solid pro and a decent and consistent player for the US, even if nowhere near a game changer. I think he'll be missed more than you're implying...but I hope not.
I like Nips.  Can never fault the guys efforts, but his upside was limited imo.  I think he has peaked as a player but he was also some one I thought would have been very reasonable to have on the roster, just not as an automatic starter as he has been.

I think this injury would have sucked if it came this fall, but GGG should have the time now to figure out if either Uly or Gio is ready to be a starter instead of having to do it in a qualifier.  We have a handful of friendlies and the Nations League games to hopefully do some testing.

Yeah, Gio will definitely get a run in the next few games. I'd like to see how he fits in with CP, Adams, and McKennie.
Lets hope a miracle happens and the trio actually plays together.  I am not sure it has ever happened yet where all 3 were healthy at the same time for a senior Nats game.

I like Nips.  Can never fault the guys efforts, but his upside was limited imo.  I think he has peaked as a player but he was also some one I thought would have been very reasonable to have on the roster, jjst not as an automatic starter as he has been.

I think this injury would have sucked if it came this fall, but GGG should have the time now to figure out if either Uly or Gio is ready to be a starter instead of having to do it in a qualifier.  We have a handful of friendlies and the Nation League games to hopefully do some testing.
Agree all around.

There are definitely quality young guys in the wings with way more upside. But it's their baseline LCD that hasnt been tested yet...and it's inconsistencies that arise from that punish teams at this level. 

Agree all around.

There are definitely quality young guys in the wings with way more upside. But it's their baseline LCD that hasnt been tested yet...and it's inconsistencies that arise from that punish teams at this level. 
Your second sentence is very true. 

And as @TLEF316 alluded to, sending a player like Nips to away Concacaf games is something we could be confident that his form  and effort would stay consistent.  The variables in those games are so over the top, that it is sometimes a coin flip on whether any particular player will be able to handle it.

Our young kids have plenty of experience playing against the central american teams in their youth nats game but we know it is a night and day difference playing in Florida vs going to the away game itself.

Your second sentence is very true. 

And as @TLEF316 alluded to, sending a player like Nips to away Concacaf games is something we could be confident that his form  and effort would stay consistent.  The variables in those games are so over the top, that it is sometimes a coin flip on whether any particular player will be able to handle it.

Our young kids have plenty of experience playing against the central american teams in their youth nats game but we know it is a night and day difference playing in Florida vs going to the away game itself.
Indeed.  The ability to get some result out of trips to Central America, and then absolutely closing those teams out at home was a hallmark of the good performing USMNT teams of the early-mid 2000s.    

Is Yedlin hurt or suspended? I noticed he did not dress today for Newcastle...
Just commented in the game day thread on Arsenal's second goal that he got absolutely torched...then realized it wasn't him thankfully.

But great. Another us player trending the wrong way.

Is Yedlin hurt or suspended? I noticed he did not dress today for Newcastle...
Just found this...more opinion than news, but ..

With Valentino Lazaro on the bench, DeAndre Yedlin was under pressure to perform against Norwich.

Unfortunately for the American, he struggled to cement his place in Steve Bruce’s starting XI.

The defender got down the right flank time and time again, but was unable to deliver quality into the box. The one time he did, Newcastle nearly scored, missing their best chance of the game.

Yedlin’s lack of quality out wide hindered Newcastle’s attack, which ultimately cost them against the Canaries.

The £5million man was replaced early in the second half by Lazaro, and we immediately looked a lot more composed.

While Yedlin is somewhat limited in possession, his replacement looked comfortable.

Every time Lazaro got the ball, he found a teammate. He moved it nicely, looking to start attacks from deep and create chances.

Against Arsenal, Lazaro must start.

We’re yet to see what the Austrian is like defensively, but Yedlin is hardly Paolo Maldini himself.

Bruce must take the gamble and hand his January signing his first start in a Newcastle shirt.

Our big problem this season has been keeping the ball and creating chances. This is an area where Lazaro can help us.

As time goes by, Bruce needs to improve Newcastle’s style of play. One big step will be starting the relatively untested Lazaro over the experienced Magpie Yedlin.

Just found this...more opinion than news, but ..

========

The defender got down the right flank time and time again, but was unable to deliver quality into the box. The one time he did, Newcastle nearly scored, missing their best chance of the game.
So many years as a pro now and he still never improved this skill.  What a shame too because you would think this is something that could be practiced in perpetuity until you got it right.  

Yedlin's skillset was always pretty limited.  That was obvious a long time ago. He's got incredible speed and quickness over short distances, but can't cross and gets beat far too often.

I think he could be a good player for the USMNT if they want to generate attacks on the right flank against an opponent that is keyed on stopping CP and the other mids.  I hope there's better options at RB for the USMNT than Yedlin in the future.

So many years as a pro now and he still never improved this skill.  What a shame too because you would think this is something that could be practiced in perpetuity until you got it right.  
I dunno.  Maybe you get craftier or learn your teammates better... but if you can't do something by, say, 18-20 years old after practicing it virtually every day for a decade it seems unlikely to me that technical skill is somehow going to arrive in your 20s.

Yedlin's skillset was always pretty limited.  That was obvious a long time ago. He's got incredible speed and quickness over short distances, but can't cross and gets beat far too often.

I think he could be a good player for the USMNT if they want to generate attacks on the right flank against an opponent that is keyed on stopping CP and the other mids.  I hope there's better options at RB for the USMNT than Yedlin in the future.
What happened with Lima?  He seemed to make the most of the very brief chance he got with the USMNT and we appear to have moved on from him already.  He doesn't have Yedlin's flat out speed but he definitely looked to be more the complete package.

What happened with Lima?  He seemed to make the most of the very brief chance he got with the USMNT and we appear to have moved on from him already.  He doesn't have Yedlin's flat out speed but he definitely looked to be more the complete package.
I think, at least in GGG's eyes, Cannon's continued improvement outweighed Lima's solid but likely finished product.  Cannon I think still has some room to improve and he already may be our best 2 way RB even saying that.

Dest is by far and away the best offensive RB we have.  He may have the best feet in the entire team outside of Pulisic.

I dunno.  Maybe you get craftier or learn your teammates better... but if you can't do something by, say, 18-20 years old after practicing it virtually every day for a decade it seems unlikely to me that technical skill is somehow going to arrive in your 20s.
it is probably player to player dependent. 

We have an excellent example of a player who developed basic skills significantly after 20 years old in Jordan Morris.

he probably has more assists from crosses in that package than Yedlin has in his entire career, and those highlights are just from this season.
Lol...probably true. Just a lot of misses too. Undoubtedly a whole other level than yedlin in terms of skill and tactical awareness...especially on the offensive side of things- he's seeing and making passes most MFs for the US don't/can't.

Lol...probably true. Just a lot of misses too. Undoubtedly a whole other level than yedlin in terms of skill and tactical awareness...especially on the offensive side of things- he's seeing and making passes most MFs for the US don't/can't.
his dribbling is wonderful in tight spaces.  Yedlin can only dribble by trying to push past and out run.

Has anybody taken a stab at our ideal starting lineup for Qatar assuming the miracle that all of our players are available?  (also assuming we qualify which is far from a foregone conclusion)

Has anybody taken a stab at our ideal starting lineup for Qatar assuming the miracle that all of our players are available?  (also assuming we qualify which is far from a foregone conclusion)
This would be mine as of today with a little projection for a couple of players (this will likely not be the qualification lineup this fall).

.............................Steffen

Dest...........Long.........Brooks............ItNeverEnds

.........................Adams.............Swag

Uly.............................Pulisic................Reyna

.............................Weah

Weah is a long shot at striker but we need some one to emerge if the Ginger does not.  The strength is going to clearly come from the 5 midfielders.  And as always we need to find a LB that won't be embarrassing.  At the very worst, Dest can play over there and Cannon can start at RB.

Haven't given it a ton of thought, but 4-2-3-1...Steffen, Dest, Brooks, Long, Cannon, Adams, Swag, Pulisic, Reyna, Morris, Altidore?

This would be mine as of today with a little projection for a couple of players (this will likely not be the qualification lineup this fall).

Weah is a long shot at striker but we need some one to emerge if the Ginger does not.  The strength is going to clearly come from the 5 midfielders.  And as always we need to find a LB that won't be embarrassing.  At the very worst, Dest can play over there and Cannon can start at RB.
I really like that squad...percentage chance they are healthy and Berhalter optimizes the talent is very low, but keeping fingers crossed.

Pretty close to mine.  I think Altidore is still pretty clearly our best striker.  I almost put Llanez over Morris...just felt like I shouldn't base that on watching only one game from Llanez.  I think Dest has to go at left back until someone else emerges...basically comes down to a choice between Dest+Cannon or Vines/Ream+Dest.

Pretty close to mine.  I think Altidore is still pretty clearly our best striker.  I almost put Llanez over Morris...just felt like I shouldn't base that on watching only one game from Llanez.  I think Dest has to go at left back until someone else emerges...basically comes down to a choice between Dest+Cannon or Vines/Ream+Dest.
Also worth noting...as much as I dislike Ream at LB, I think it's very likely we're going to want him at LCB when Brooks is inevitably hurt.

I agree, Altidore is our best striker (by a long ways) but I just have kind of given up hope that he is ever going to be healthy.  If he can some how stay healthy, he should absolutely be the starter in qualification this fall. Jozy is not that young any more either.  He is going to be 33 by Qatar so we may need some one to emerge even if he is healthy come end of 2022.

I think Morris will likely start in qualification.  My roster showing Uly starting was projecting out to the winter of 2022 (which is what TripItUp asked for).

Some that have been left out...

Hoping Zegolem finds his way with NYC. 

Lletget has been arguably one of the best players the last year or so. 

Woods could end up somewhere and find his way again. Not great, but has a knack for the the quick turn and shoot when fit and firing.

Green I though had been doing decently well? 

Antonioni Robinhood [/djackson] was having a good season at LB and linked to big teams...still young and could grow into something solid at LB for the US. I'll say LB one more just because LB.

Users who are viewing this thread