What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (12 Viewers)

Speaking of Gio, I think his coach wants to adopt him more than even Tyler's coach loves Adams.

===============

#Favre : "We observed @Gioreyna10 for a long time. If you don't see his quality, you're blind. He is very clever and has big plans at the age of 17. "

Morris follows it up with a goal putting Seattle up 2-0 against the run of play.
Ended up 2-2.  Morris had a great chance to put Seattle up by three but was too unselfish and passed when he should have just buried it.

Like the rest of Seattle (and pretty much every MLS team this week) Morris lost his legs.

16 year old Danny Leyva got his CCL debut tonight for Seattle and looked solid in a hard spot subbing in the second half.  He looks to have had a growth spurt as he appears 2-3 inches taller than he was in the U17 world cup.

@cboehm

FC Dallas prez Dan Hunt tells me that signing rising #USMNT fullback Reggie Cannon to a "big deal" of a new contract is a priority for the club; talks in process. Cannon has drawn ample interest overseas but FCD want him to have "security" in the meantime

Frank Lampard: "Christian Pulisic is still not fit. I can’t give you an exact date. It’s a difficult injury and we’re working on that."

Frank Lampard: "Christian Pulisic is still not fit. I can’t give you an exact date. It’s a difficult injury and we’re working on that."
Adductor injuries are the hardest to predict.  You really can't play until you feel good enough to run and that can be different for every person when dealing with the hip/groin region.  Hope it's soon though.

Adductor injuries are the hardest to predict.  You really can't play until you feel good enough to run and that can be different for every person when dealing with the hip/groin region.  Hope it's soon though.
I went running last night with a sore groin region area.

Suck it up Pulisic.  :boxing:

Steven Goff

@SoccerInsider

No definitive timetable yet on Paul Arriola's ACL recovery but looking increasingly as though he will be out long term (6-9 months). Should know more today or tomorrow.

Given our lack of strikers, I would love to see baby Crouch get another look.  His team is second in Serie B so maybe might see him in Serie A next season....

===================================================

Future USMNT

@FutureUsmnt

Andrija Novakovich vs. Cosenza:

90 Minutes Played

74% Passing Accuracy

45 Touches

7 Duels Won

4 Key Passes

4 Shots

2 Dribbles Completed

1 Foul Drawn

1 Goal

1 Assist

Excellent performance from the Wisconsin native, still only 23

Anyone have a handle on whether there's a generation behind the 17-21 year olds?  Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Dest, Reyna, Uly seem unlikely to be a fluke, but I'm curious who's out there in the 14-16 year old world.  Is it a known thing that we have a great pipeline in those age groups today?

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Anyone have a handle on whether there's a generation behind the 17-21 year olds?  Pulisic, Adams, McKennie, Dest, Reyna, Uly seem unlikely to be a fluke, but I'm curious who's out there in the 14-16 year old world.  Is it a known thing that we have a great pipeline in those age groups today?
I.would think the success rate at identifying great talents at that age isn't very good. I think you still need a big population of players to find the Dests and Ulys out there.  The better the academies and youth training is, the more likely that success rate goes up.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
I know of a few but that age group (14-16) is really hard to judge.   I like what I have seen from some though.  The kid in DC's academy Moses Neyman (who is actually with the first team right now in preseason) has jumped off the screen for me in the highlights I have seen.

I know of a few but that age group (14-16) is really hard to judge.   I like what I have seen from some though.  The kid in DC's academy Moses Neyman (who is actually with the first team right now in preseason) has jumped off the screen for me in the highlights I have seen.
There was an article in The Post yesterday on him and two others in the United academy that are skipping the last year of HS to become pros.  16-16-17 year olds IIRC.  They'll be getting minutes for Loudoun and Olsen says he'll play all three of them if they earn it.

Reyna with another very solid sub performance for Dortmund today.  He was the first sub off bench (even ahead of Brandt) and he looked extremely confident again, touches, his dribbles etc.  He beat three players in one move that drew the phrase "magical" from the announcer.

On the other side of the field, I don't blame Bremen's coach for not playing Sargent much lately as he has been not been effective but the entire Bremen offense with or with out Sargent is awful.  They have all the look of being relegated this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the current crop of great young players turns out to be the top wedge of the pyramid, with an expanding pool of similar players in each subsequent generation, we're going to have a very good team in 6-8 years.

Wrong thread and all, but seeing that he will be linked with Reyna for a few years I am ok talking about him in here.

Do you guys remember in the MCU movie Captain America where they take the smart and clever but physically lacking solider and put him in the machine that turns him in a genetic freak of a super soldier?

I was using that analogy in my brain today while watching Haaland.   It feels like some one took Chicharito and put him in one of those machines and out popped Haaland.

• Laughing
Reactions: Ned
I’m no scout or anything, but I think we need one more cycle before things really start to gain traction with the MLS academies. The depth of talent I’ve seen in the north east academies in the 2006-08 age groups is fn awesome.

Just from the Union side, their 2008 group is ridiculously deep.  NYRB is equally as good.  We will get to see DC and NYCFC this spring.

2026 could be good times.

I’m no scout or anything, but I think we need one more cycle before things really start to gain traction with the MLS academies. The depth of talent I’ve seen in the north east academies in the 2006-08 age groups is fn awesome..
This is fantastic.  The north east has typically lagged well behind Texas and California in producing talent.  

If we can get the North East corridor (Boston to DC) to start producing players and for Florida to finally wake the sleeping giant of talent that has to be in that state, we should have a lot more chances to find good players.

• Smile
I’m no scout or anything, but I think we need one more cycle before things really start to gain traction with the MLS academies. The depth of talent I’ve seen in the north east academies in the 2006-08 age groups is fn awesome.

Just from the Union side, their 2008 group is ridiculously deep.  NYRB is equally as good.  We will get to see DC and NYCFC this spring.

2026 could be good times.
Would love to hear your thoughts on this age bracket as you see them.

The Sunderland legend continues to grow :)

https://streamable.com/c3g8w
Really liked his recognition that his teammate made the same initial run as him, so peeled off and then exploded the next couple steps to gain the space needed to get on goal. Plus, the pass wrong footed him, or morrised him, and was still able to alter his stride and pop it in. Another nice goal for the Californian Messi.

This is fantastic.  The north east has typically lagged well behind Texas and California in producing talent.  

If we can get the North East corridor (Boston to DC) to start producing players and for Florida to finally wake the sleeping giant of talent that has to be in that state, we should have a lot more chances to find good players.
I recall NyRB having a pretty solid pipeline almost from the giddy-up. No?

I recall NyRB having a pretty solid pipeline almost from the giddy-up. No?
Yes they have been solid, but the NY/NJ area is enormous in both population and diverse demographics.  We need both NY teams to produce at the quantity of Dallas.

For me this is all about quantity.  So few of these prospects (in all countries) make it all the way to international level so I want to see an ever increasing base of quality players to hopefully chose from.

SIXTEEN!!
I think we could have a chance to qualify with just those 16 players (this is not a bad line up at all IMO)

.......................................Steffen

Lichaj..............Miazga..............M. Robinson.........A. Robinson

.......................Adams.................Pomykal

Holmes.......................Pulisic........................Nips

.............................Weah

Subs: Bradley/Servania (DM), Green (any of the 3 midfielders), Ebobisse (striker), Taitigue (offensive midfielder)

Bradley would serve as a emergency CB and Nips would have to serve as an emergency fullback.

There was an article in The Post yesterday on him and two others in the United academy that are skipping the last year of HS to become pros.  16-16-17 year olds IIRC.  They'll be getting minutes for Loudoun and Olsen says he'll play all three of them if they earn it.
Was Paredes one of the kids?

=====

Steven Goff

Paredes for Gressel in 60th, Sorga coming on soon for Kamara

Man, Paredes is something special: 16 and highly skilled.

Yes they have been solid, but the NY/NJ area is enormous in both population and diverse demographics.  We need both NY teams to produce at the quantity of Dallas.

For me this is all about quantity.  So few of these prospects (in all countries) make it all the way to international level so I want to see an ever increasing base of quality players to hopefully chose from.
I mean 2 of 3 academies that got out of both U15 and U17 GA qualifying are NYRB and NYCFC.  Plus they each produced guys that are arguably the 2nd and 3rd most valuable in the transfer market today (Adams and Reyna).  

• Smile
I mean 2 of 3 academies that got out of both U15 and U17 GA qualifying are NYRB and NYCFC.  Plus they each produced guys that are arguably the 2nd and 3rd most valuable in the transfer market today (Adams and Reyna).  
@Dinsy Ejotuz I’m apprehensive to say too much since I’m far from an eye for the game vs the likes of some of you in here.  I’m out of my depth. With that caveat out of the way...

Quoting Sammy’s post because NYRB really stood out to me when my son played them this fall.  There’s a clear structure in place. They all play the same high press from the Sr team down to the youngest groups. Each kid dominated with just a clean no nonsense style that was a joy to watch (even if my son was on the receiving end).  Predicting success from this age is so volatile it’s foolish to try to guess, but it’s clear the right setup is there to produce some fine players.

We know Union well - they’re arguably one of the best at the 2008 age group from what our coaches say (their also Union scouts). That clip of them in Brazil is not an outlier.  The one kid at the beginning of that clip is actually a 2009.  Side note: not sure I’m OK with them traveling like that at that age.  They went to Portugal last year and won the whole thing.

Our academy is a step below Union. Their tentacles are firmly wrapped around our club and the surrounding area - all the top kids get siphoned off.  I’m excited about a 2005 of ours that’s with Union’s academy.  Kid has ‘it’ in my humble opinion. 

Lots of convoluted information coming out regarding the story today that England is now tracking Gio Reyna.   This stuff will continue until we cap tie him for good (which I put in the 99.999% chance category of happening this summer if he is healthy) but here is what we know:

1) Gio was born in Sunderland but he is not an English Citizen nor is he currently eligible for England at this moment

2) Gio's grandparent was from Portugal.  Gio has a Portuguese passport and is eligible for Portugal using the one time switch rule (see #4)

3) Gio's grandparent was from Argentina.  It is said his is not eligible for Argentina right now but that could change quickly according to the Argentine rules

4) Gio is youth cap tied to the US (and this is where the confusion comes in)

Since Gio is youth cap tied, the rule from FIFA (which is not the most well written rule) seems to indicate that if you are a dual/multi national when cap tied by one country, you can then decide to issue a One Time Switch to change to a different country that you were eligible for when youth cap tied.

The confusion seems to be that since Gio was not eligible for either Argentina or England when he was youth cap tied, he would not be able to switch to them should he choose.  He could only switch to Portugal.

Most seem to agree that this is the correct interpretation of the rule but it flies in the face of the reports that England and Argentina are watching him.

I missed that.  What happened?
The Toronto FC president was speaking in front of a few hundred people.

He told them that Michael is applying for Canadian citizenship and that he expects that his children will represent Canada if good enough.

So of course the paranoia was translated to Gio thinking that if Bradley's kids could make the switch away from the US with his families deep ties, any one could.

FIFA themselves with a shout out to one of the best US stories ever

=====================================

FIFA.com

Jay DeMerit was, as a 23-year-old, earning £40 per week for playing in the English 9th tier & working as a bartender. He went on to play in the @premierleague & mark @WayneRooney in the @FIFAWorldCup

#BartenderDay

I don't see any way that the son of a former USMNT captain and USWNT player won't also join the USMNT.
I hear ya, and this obviously isn't an apples to apples comparison....but the son of the greatest African player ever and president of the freaking country chose the US over Liberia. So never say never.

I hear ya, and this obviously isn't an apples to apples comparison....but the son of the greatest African player ever and president of the freaking country chose the US over Liberia. So never say never.
Weah was raised by his mother in the USA. He was in the US youth program from the beginning.

The Reynas were out of England before Gio turned 5. 

FWIW, I also share the general perception that Gio isn’t eligible for England. 

Users who are viewing this thread