Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

55 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

I don't see any way that the son of a former USMNT captain and USWNT player won't also join the USMNT.

I hear ya, and this obviously isn't an apples to apples comparison....but the son of the greatest African player ever and president of the freaking country chose the US over Liberia. So never say never.

58 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

I hear ya, and this obviously isn't an apples to apples comparison....but the son of the greatest African player ever and president of the freaking country chose the US over Liberia. So never say never.

Weah was raised by his mother in the USA. He was in the US youth program from the beginning.

The Reynas were out of England before Gio turned 5. 

FWIW, I also share the general perception that Gio isn’t eligible for England. 

On 2/22/2020 at 11:34 AM, NewlyRetired said:

Wrong thread and all, but seeing that he will be linked with Reyna for a few years I am ok talking about him in here.

Do you guys remember in the MCU movie Captain America where they take the smart and clever but physically lacking solider and put him in the machine that turns him in a genetic freak of a super soldier?

I was using that analogy in my brain today while watching Haaland.   It feels like some one took Chicharito and put him in one of those machines and out popped Haaland.

Or Wondo. They showed a clip where Sancho got on a cleared corner and had a break. And Haaland flat out tore ### to get ahead of him and make a run (which Sancho ignored). And it highlighted for me that Haaland is just that goal-hungry. He’ll murder an old lady for a bit of free space at the six-yard box. 

For all the physical gifts, his clear best attribute is the ability to sniff out chances. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Weah was raised by his mother in the USA. He was in the US youth program from the beginning.

The Reynas were out of England before Gio turned 5. 

FWIW, I also share the general perception that Gio isn’t eligible for England. 

Oh for sure. I really can't imagine we're actually in danger of losing him. Just playing devil's advocate

Edited by TLEF316

6 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Or Wondo. They showed a clip where Sancho got on a cleared corner and had a break. And Haaland flat out tore ### to get ahead of him and make a run (which Sancho ignored). And it highlighted for me that Haaland is just that goal-hungry. He’ll murder an old lady for a bit of free space at the six-yard box. 

For all the physical gifts, his clear best attribute is the ability to sniff out chances. 

I used to play FIFA franchise mode pretty extensively. Not sure if it's the same now, but back like 5 years ago, when a player retired, the game "cloned him" as a teenage prospect (to keep up the number of elite star players) The new player would have a different name but play the same position and be from the same country as the retired player.  They'd have the same rating as the retired player did when they left (which had obviously dropped due to age) and potential but all the other attributes were random. 

One time I found 16 year old cloned retired zlatan. He was zlatan size with  95 speed and could hit absolute rockets with either foot. I scored like 45 goals with him in the EPL/UCL when he was like 17.  

That's what haalaand reminds me of

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TLEF316 said:

I used to play FIFA franchise mode pretty extensively. Not sure if it's the same now, but back like 5 years ago, when a player retired, the game "cloned him" as a teenage prospect (to keep up the number of elite star players) The new player would have a different name but play the same position and be from the same country as the retired player.  They'd have the same rating as the retired player did when they left (which had obviously dropped due to age) and potential but all the other attributes were random. 

One time I found 16 year old cloned retired zlatan. He was zlatan size with  95 speed and could hit absolute rockets with either foot. I scored like 45 goals with him in the EPL/UCL when he was like 17.  

That's what haalaand reminds me of

Zlatan is probably a good comp.  A faster Giroud is what I think when I see him play.

1 hour ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

They showed a clip where Sancho got on a cleared corner and had a break. And Haaland flat out tore ### to get ahead of him and make a run (which Sancho ignored).

The 60 meter world record is held by Christian Coleman at 6.34 seconds in perfect track conditions.  Haaland covered the same distance on grass in 6.64 seconds.

It was beyond outrageous :)

And also created this wonderful meme that I hope every one clicks on in case you haven't seen it.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1230115708333383680

• Laughing 1

3 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

He told them that Michael is applying for Canadian citizenship and that he expects that his children will represent Canada if good enough.

If they represent Canada that means they won't be good enough for the US.

6 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

If they represent Canada that means they won't be good enough for the US.

You haven't seen Alphonso Davies or Johnathan David play, have you? :)

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

You haven't seen Alphonso Davies or Johnathan David play, have you? :)

Do either have a US Passport?

Just now, The Z Machine said:

Do either have a US Passport?

David is a US citizen

It's not like we need a top young striker or anything...

:wall:

Edited by NewlyRetired

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

David is a US citizen

It's not like we need a top young striker or anything...

:wall:

Can he still switch?  Let's get going on the full Mexican federation treatment here.

1 minute ago, The Z Machine said:

Can he still switch?  Let's get going on the full Mexican federation treatment here.

No, he is cap tied for Canada.

He already has 11 goals in his first 12 games for Canada.

Just now, NewlyRetired said:

No, he is cap tied for Canada.

He already has 11 goals in his first 12 games for Canada.

Why didn't he want to play in the 2022 or 2030 World Cups?

Just now, The Z Machine said:

Why didn't he want to play in the 2022 or 2030 World Cups?

He moved to Canada very young and has been part of their set up for a long time.  I don't know if he was called by the US.

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

The Toronto FC president was speaking in front of a few hundred people.

He told them that Michael is applying for Canadian citizenship and that he expects that his children will represent Canada if good enough.

So of course the paranoia was translated to Gio thinking that if Bradley's kids could make the switch away from the US with his families deep ties, any one could.

Is it true he was actually filing for Mexican citizenship but he passed the papers behind him?

Christian Pulisic is out again tomorrow.  This is really very depressing.  The guy was absolutely on fire before he got hurt.  

1 minute ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Christian Pulisic is out again tomorrow.  This is really very depressing.  The guy was absolutely on fire before he got hurt.  

At least Adams is...oh. well, weah's looking...oh.

:Sadtrombone:

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Ok so it's the tiniest of silver linings but had you told me 5 months ago he was going to miss this many consecutive games, I would have bet a ton of money he would have lost his position to some one else. 

But it feels like no one has stepped up at all in his void.  If he can get healthy soon, I think he is going to be an important part of the team almost immediately.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

At least Adams is...oh. well, weah's looking...oh.

:Sadtrombone:

George Bello back in first team training with Atlanta! Of course, Frank de Boer appears to like syphilis more than George Bello.

• Laughing 1
  • Thinking 1

1 minute ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

George Bello back in first team training with Atlanta! Of course, Frank de Boer appears to like syphilis more than George Bello.

So you're saying we may get to see syphillis starting for the US soon?

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

So you're saying we may get to see syphillis starting for the US soon?

Can he play striker?  

• Thanks 1

McBride is heading to Europe.  He will be meeting with the following players and their coaching staffs and watch games, in this order.

Pulisic, Ream, Dest, Weston, Steffen, Morales, Scott, Sargent, Adams

He will not be meeting with Reyna but did leave this message that I am going to read as that he is going to be called up possibly next month.

“Gio has been a great representative of our youth national teams. His father was one of the best players to have ever played for the national team. Those are factors,” McBride said. “We think extremely highly of him, and I think you’ll see that soon.”

• Like 1

McBride's comments on the Olympic team for qualifying lead me to believe we are going to be sending a very weak team to Mexico.

======

“I’ve been working with Jason, Gregg and Earnie to communicate to the clubs the importance of qualifying for the Olympics in this country and the experience you get from playing at the Olympics,” said McBride, who participated in the 2008 Games as one of three overage players. “We’re grateful to the clubs that have been somewhat receptive. Jason and Gregg have worked tirelessly to put the pool together and right now it looks pretty positive. Certainly some clubs have said, ‘We’re going to hold on to our players,’ and we’ve got to understand things like that.”

Gattuso giving Chucky the Soto treatment.  Mexican players almost across the board are having a miserable European season and not because of injuries

==============

Gattuso: "Lozano has to work harder and improve himself if he wants to start. I expect certain qualities from my wingers and he doesn't have those at the moment. That's why I don't have room for him in the team."

4 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Gattuso giving Chucky the Soto treatment.  Mexican players almost across the board are having a miserable European season and not because of injuries

==============

Gattuso: "Lozano has to work harder and improve himself if he wants to start. I expect certain qualities from my wingers and he doesn't have those at the moment. That's why I don't have room for him in the team."

I'm thinking of that scene with Peewee and the pet store on fire...feel like the only options here are two awful snakes.

Brooks Lennon is starting at RB and Emmy is starting at the 10 tonight for Atlanta in the CCL.  First leg ended 1-1 in Honduras.

This is here only as it relates to Pulisic.

Willian was interviewed after the game today and said he has been offered a 2 year deal from Chelsea but he wants a 3 year deal.  The reporter asked he felt Chelsea would change their mind and he said it was unlikely.

On 2/24/2020 at 1:10 PM, NewlyRetired said:

The Toronto FC president was speaking in front of a few hundred people.

So of course the paranoia was translated to Gio thinking that if Bradley's kids could make the switch away from the US with his families deep ties, any one could.

F Michael Bradley.  

On 2/24/2020 at 1:10 PM, NewlyRetired said:

If they're only good enough to play for Canada, they can have them.  If they're good enough to play for the USA in 2035 they won't want anything to do with Canada.

24 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

If they're only good enough to play for Canada, they can have them.  If they're good enough to play for the USA in 2035 they won't want anything to do with Canada.

I would kill to have players like Alphonso Davies and Jonathan David for the US right now.

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Brooks Lennon is starting at RB and Emmy is starting at the 10 tonight for Atlanta in the CCL.  First leg ended 1-1 in Honduras.

Emmy had a decent, if understated game.  He is a quiet, non aggressive player so he does not pop much.

I did not see anything from him tonight that makes me think he would be better than Lletget in the middle/advanced role.  And I would put Lletget already 3rd behind Pulisic and Reyna.

• Like 1

AC Milan is now looking at another back from the Americans. AJAX 19yrs old Sergino Dest the RB is being eyed by Ricky Massara. WIth David Calabria and Conte both leaving this summer most likely Dest could be brought in and a chance to start from the get go. 

Milan eye AJAX Dest as a RB replacement this summer

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

==============

If I'm Lozano I'm doing whatever Rino tells me to do. You do not want to be in his doghouse 

8 hours ago, DJackson10 said:

AC Milan is now looking at another back from the Americans. AJAX 19yrs old Sergino Dest the RB is being eyed by Ricky Massara. WIth David Calabria and Conte both leaving this summer most likely Dest could be brought in and a chance to start from the get go. 

Milan eye AJAX Dest as a RB replacement this summer

Huh. Seems like a step down or sideways at best tbh- and that's not an inter/Milan jab. 

30 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Huh. Seems like a step down or sideways at best tbh- and that's not an inter/Milan jab. 

While team to team, the quality is not much of a difference, league to league it is a nice jump.  Dest will be forced to have to improve his defensive game in Serie A.

In Holland Ajax is so much better than the majority of the league, he can focus on offense mostly.   If he goes to Bayern, it would be a very lateral move in this specific area since Bayern's fullbacks are also offensive first types due to their dominance.

• Like 3

I won't bother posting it, but JK absolutely eviscerated the Hertha organization today in an article published by Kicker.

That made me think why he has not done the same to US soccer.   Could his contract have had some sort of gag order in it where if he bad mouthed the organization after leaving he could have defaulted on the remaining part of his contract?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

I won't bother posting it, but JK absolutely eviscerated the Hertha organization today in an article published by Kicker.

That made me think why he has not done the same to US soccer.   Could his contract have had some sort of gag order in it where if he bad mouthed the organization after leaving he could have defaulted on the remaining part of his contract?

I always thought he didn't want to burn a bridge and destroy his son's chances at playing for the national team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:
2 hours ago, El Floppo said:

While team to team, the quality is not much of a difference, league to league it is a nice jump.  Dest will be forced to have to improve his defensive game in Serie A.

In Holland Ajax is so much better than the majority of the league, he can focus on offense mostly.   If he goes to Bayern, it would be a very lateral move in this specific area since Bayern's fullbacks are also offensive first types due to their dominance.

All very good points- I stand corrected and owe DJ an apology.

Maybe it was serieB Milan focused.

I had meant to post it, but am swamped... Germany Jones interview was interesting 

ETA...appears he's retired as well. Didn't even know he had kept playing for some indoor team, with the proviso that he didn't have to train- just show up to games and play. Coach ultimately wanted some practice, so Germany denounced the coach as "no TSO" and bailed.

Edited by El Floppo

11 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I had meant to post it, but am swamped... Germany Jones interview was interesting 

ETA...appears he's retired as well. Didn't even know he had kept playing for some indoor team, with the proviso that he didn't have to train- just show up to games and play. Coach ultimately wanted some practice, so Germany denounced the coach as "no TSO" and bailed.

Jones is one of those guys on the surface when you hear bits and pieces and you think he has some good ideas but then when you hear the entire interview you start to wonder if he is almost off the wall nuts.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, blend said:

I always thought he didn't want to burn a bridge and destroy his son's chances at playing for the national team.

on that note, he has burned a lot of bridges in Germany if he had any hopes to get his son back to the Bundesliga, which seems to be one of the reasons he took the job to begin with.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

No Adams, Pulisic, Sargent, Dest or Swag.   Who else is missing from this list?

No Weah or Antonee Robinson (both of which may be injury related)

The most interesting name on the list is of course Gio.  Reading now that GGG is calling him for the next set of friendlies, I bet that lessons his chance of being released for the Olympics too from Dortmund.

Dortmund may be waiting on the health of Reus before deciding.

Edited by NewlyRetired