What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (13 Viewers)

Mount is a really good all around player but he is not an offensive game breaker.  All of his good qualities seem like they should translate to the right side where as Pulisic, for what ever reason, has been significantly better on the left.

Fwiw, I agree that CPs game has grown and focused in england. He's more direct and decisive in the final third, and looks to go to goal more than he did in germany. Not to say he wasn't pretty great there, but it wasn't always about going at the guy to go at goal. He was more of a pedro style winger than a hazard style acm (even if he's doing it from the wing)

Whether that's lampards direction or CP growing as a player, dunno. 

Eta...but I assume it's lamps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwiw, I agree that CPs game has grown and focused in england. He's more direct and decisive in the final third, and looks to go to goal more than he did in germany. Not to say he wasn't pretty great there, but it wasn't always about going at the guy to go at goal. He was more of a pedro style winger than a hazard style acm (even if he's doing it from the wing)

Whether that's lampards direction or CP growing as a player, dunno. 

Eta...but I assume it's lamps.
I feel like I watched a totally different Pulisic than you guys did, when he was at Dortmund, specifically when he was healthy.  Look at how good he was in the box at Dortmund and driving to goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJNx4aLAcHg

I am not saying he hasn't grown as a player (as most players will grow at this age range), but I am saying his general style is very similar.  You could overlay his Dortmund highlights and his Chelsea highlights and outside of the uniform, and it would look very similar.

All 5 American's played today, with mixed results.

*Dest was said to have had a solid game, going the full 90 in a 5-1 win.  The full 90 again is impressive as Barca made 4 subs and had a red card.

*Horvath bounced back from the not his fault own goal to make some big saves in a 2-1 win

*Adams went 32 minutes and helped keep the 2-0 scoreline intact for the win.

*Gio went the full second half, tons of touches and a nice assist in 3-1 loss

*Pulisic went nearly the full game in a 0-0 draw.  He had some bright moments and drew two yellow cards.

All 5 American's played today, with mixed results.

*Dest was said to have had a solid game, going the full 90 in a 5-1 win.  The full 90 again is impressive as Barca made 4 subs and had a red card.

*Horvath bounced back from the not his fault own goal to make some big saves in a 2-1 win

*Adams went 32 minutes and helped keep the 2-0 scoreline intact for the win.

*Gio went the full second half, tons of touches and a nice assist in 3-1 loss

*Pulisic went nearly the full game in a 0-0 draw.  He had some bright moments and drew two yellow cards.
First time ever that 5 American's played on the same day in Champions League.

And it likely would have been 6 today, if Weston did not test positive for Covid last week.

I feel like I watched a totally different Pulisic than you guys did, when he was at Dortmund, specifically when he was healthy.  Look at how good he was in the box at Dortmund and driving to goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJNx4aLAcHg

I am not saying he hasn't grown as a player (as most players will grow at this age range), but I am saying his general style is very similar.  You could overlay his Dortmund highlights and his Chelsea highlights and outside of the uniform, and it would look very similar.
:shrug:

I feel like when I watched him at dortmund there were a couple of primary differences. He was getting the ball wider and/driving the ball into wider positions to set up the ball back across the box. When he got in the box, he wasn't looking to set himself up for the shot as much as he is now- it was more often frustrating for me to see him be aggressive and take a guy on only to pass it off. 

so yes, he was dynamic and positive with the ball at his feet...definitely no change there. But he's either taken it on or been given the edict to be the guy to take guys on to set himself up for a shot...more like Hazard. And that's not black and white...he's still finding his team mates and still taking the ball wide when needed.

I'm amazed that Dest is an immediate starter at Barca for cup and league. No settling in period- just, BAM.
It was an injury opening but he seems to be doing well enough.   When Alba comes back it will be interesting to see if he is given a chance at RB.  Today the RB was subbed off while he stayed on, and this was before the red card shuffle.

I'm amazed that Dest is an immediate starter at Barca for cup and league. No settling in period- just, BAM.
There’s just a limited amount of class outside backs that have the ability to short pass and the athleticism to absorb offensive pressure.  He may not be great in a more static back 4, but he’s a great fit for the Barca/Bayern en vogue style of play.  

There’s just a limited amount of class outside backs that have the ability to short pass and the athleticism to absorb offensive pressure.  He may not be great in a more static back 4, but he’s a great fit for the Barca/Bayern en vogue style of play.  
it is going to be very interesting to see how he best fits with the US.

Against 95% of Concacaf, this upcoming US team should look BarcaLike in terms of having the majority of the possession and attacking. 

But once the US moves up in competition, I still think they are going to be on the back foot a lot (especially in this cycle as the players are so young), which is going to make Dest have to defend in a more traditional role.

Not sure what Lampard is doing right now.  Pulisic started at RW and Chelsea's attack was pretty stagnant for the most part.  For the first 5-8 minutes of the second half Pulisic switched with Mount to the LW and Chelsea spent the majority of that time in the final third and looked sure to score soon.  Then Frank yelled for Pulisic and Mount to switch and Chelsea's pressure on goal fell off again.  No idea what's going on.

FYI, Pulisic looked absolutely gassed when he got subbed in the 90th.  Kinda hope he gets a sit this weekend as his legs clearly aren't there yet.

• Thanks
Reactions: Ned
It is a good sign that media and fans are arguing/discussing on defensive player of the year in MLS between two Americans, McKenzie and Zimmerman.

While it won't be our strongest position this cycle, I feel pretty good about the center back group.

Brooks, Long, Miazga, Old Man, McKenzie, and Zimmerman along with the hope that Chris Richards finishes his ascension to the Bundesliga, make for a deep enough group to see us through injuries, drop in form etc for this cycle.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
Soto gave an interview today where he said no decision has been made between Chile and US.  He said it is still 50-50.  To make the jump to Chile, I believe he needs to put in a one time switch application with FIFA since he is youth cap tied to US. 

This is likely making his decision a bit harder because once those forms go in, that is it, there is no going back even if Chile never gives him a minute of playing time.

Looks good.
kind of a feel good story too with him breaking down after the game crying and his teammates trying to console him.

Good to see the other US players noticing as well as even Pulisic gave him a shout on twitter after the game.

Doug McIntyre

@ByDougMcIntyre

#USMNT still planning for two friendlies in the U.K. next month, I’m told. Expect Wales TBA soon. USSF scrambling to find another foe after New Zealand and Austrailia fell thorugh. Second match, if it happens, would still be hosted by U.S. at Craven Cottage in London

Jim Curtin on Anthony Fontana:

"He has a knack for goals," Curtin said after that win over the Revs. "Again, don't run with this, everyone, as a headline, but I was just talking to Pat Noonan about this. Obviously Pat knows the player I'm about to mention as well as anyone, but his ability to arrive in the box at the right time and make plays, it reminds you of a guy who used to play here in Clint Dempsey, in that he just had a knack for being in the right place at the right time."

I for one am all for more Dempseys getting involved.  He certainly has Dempsey’s swagger if not his overall game

I hope they can find a second match to play.

==============

U.S. Soccer MNT

@USMNT

𝐖𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊. The #USMNT will return to action with our first match on November 12 in Swansea! :mad:SwansOfficial’s @LibertyStadium

@FS1, @UniMas, @TUDNUSA: 2:45pm ET :

#WALvUSA

Tim Howard on one of MLS's best kept secrets in Cole Basset

============================

Howard: "Most importantly, he's one of their own. He grew up in the academy system. He's from the area. He believes in wearing the shirt and wearing it proudly. 

"He's got the full package. It's not very often you find a young player with all the attributes he has. It takes courage to be a footballer and he has courage to get on the ball, play in tight spaces, he doesn't mind the physicality of what the game asks from him. He's got a brilliant engine, he's selfless, he's willing to give himself to the team and give himself to whatever cause is asked of the team. And he can not only score goals, but to be on the providing end with timely assists."

I am disappointed that the two players I earmarked months ago as this being a big season have seen very little of the field, in Pomykal (hurt again) and Weah (who can't seem to get any useful minutes at Lille).

I am disappointed that the two players I earmarked months ago as this being a big season have seen very little of the field, in Pomykal (hurt again) and Weah (who can't seem to get any useful minutes at Lille).
Was just thinking about Pepi and Jesus...how are they doing?

Seven hours and no jaws dropped by that goal? What is wrong with you people. That's an absolute highlight reel golazo. 

Any more sense of who he'll end up with? Still 50/50?
I assume, simply because he is actively playing a position that we little depth in in our Euro based players, that he is likely to get called up to the Wales friendly.  I assume he will accept that call since it is not a cap tying event.

Users who are viewing this thread