Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Premier

US Men's National Team

This would be a good move.  Not only would it keep him in front of GGG's eyes but it is likely a small step up in competition as well

==============

USMNT Only

@usmntonly

Sources tell me that Aron Jóhannsson is 'very interested' in a move to MLS - and there are a few clubs interested as well. Jóhannsson has 13 goals and 1 assist in 22 games for Hammarby this season in the Swedish top flight

7 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Bacon scored again today.  His 13th in 22 games for Hammerby.

His goal

• Like 1

Steffen, Horvath, Reyna, Pulisic, Dest, and Weston all in Champions League this week

Horvath: I believe will start as Mingolet I think is not yet back from Covid.  If he is back, Horvath is unlikely to play

Dest/Reyna: Excellent chance to start (if Reyna does not start he will likely be first sub in)

Pulisic: Good chance to start but I would not be shocked if Lampard makes some changes with the team not scoring a goal in their last two games. At worst he gets a sub appearance

Weston: no idea here.  It could range from not seeing a minute to starting.  

===================================

The story with in the story is clearly Barca vs Juventus.  Should this game result in one team losing, that coach is going to be under extreme pressure as both teams are off to very poor starts given their pedigree.

In terms of how this effects Americans, I think if we had to choose, I think we would rather Koeman keep his job rather than Pirlo as Koeman appears to have an early commitment to Dest.  We don't have enough information on the Pirlo/Weston relationship yet.  Tough choice either way.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

JuventusFC

@juventusfcen

@Pirlo_official: @WMckennie is recovering but I don't think he will play in defense tomorrow. I hope that we will soon have the whole squad available to find the right set-up."

16 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Steffen, Horvath, Reyna, Pulisic, Dest, and Weston all in Champions League this week

Horvath: I believe will start as Mingolet I think is not yet back from Covid.  If he is back, Horvath is unlikely to play

Dest/Reyna: Excellent chance to start (if Reyna does not start he will likely be first sub in)

Pulisic: Good chance to start but I would not be shocked if Lampard makes some changes with the team not scoring a goal in their last two games. At worst he gets a sub appearance

The story with in the story is clearly Barca vs Juventus.  Should this game result in one team losing, that coach is going to be under extreme pressure as both teams are off to very poor starts given their pedigree.

In terms of how this effects Americans, I think if we had to choose, I think we would rather Koeman keep his job rather than Pirlo as Koeman appears to have an early commitment to Dest.  We don't have enough information on the Pirlo/Weston relationship yet.  Tough choice either way.

I did not mention Tyler Adams as I thought he was hurt but he did travel with the club to Manchester for the game against United on Wednesday.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I did not mention Tyler Adams as I thought he was hurt but he did travel with the club to Manchester for the game against United on Wednesday.

Roger Gonzalez

@RGonzalezCBS

RB Leipzig are hoping Tyler Adams will play against Manchester United. He's made the trip to England but will have a fitness test to see if he's good to go. On the positive side, as I reported earlier, it's not a concerning injury.

• Like 2

Pulisic plays at 2:00pm

Horvath, Weston, Dest, Gio, and Adams all play at 4:00pm

How am I suppose to choose who to watch at 4?  I am not expecting Weston to play but if he does I will probably watch Barca vs Juventus since I get a 2 for 1

File this under problems I never expected to have

:) 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

:popcorn:

======================

BVB Buzz

@BVBBuzz

SportBILD claim that Borussia Dortmund are unlikely to extend Lucien Favre's contract, and Marco Rose, Julian Nagelsmann and Jesse Marsch are three names being considered to take over next season

• Love 1
  • Thinking 1

55 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

:popcorn:

======================

BVB Buzz

@BVBBuzz

SportBILD claim that Borussia Dortmund are unlikely to extend Lucien Favre's contract, and Marco Rose, Julian Nagelsmann and Jesse Marsch are three names being considered to take over next season

Marsch deserves that chance.  God I'd love to see what he could do with a lineup like Dortmund's...  I think he could really push Bayern there.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

13 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Marsch deserves that chance.  God I'd love to see what he could do with a lineup like Dortmund's...  I think he could really push Bayern there.

the good news is that I think he has a 2/3rd chance to make a jump to the Bundesliga (assuming this rumor is accurate).

Either he gets the Dortmund job, or if Nagelsmann gets it, you would have to think that March would be the perfect fit at RBL to replace Nagelsmann, keeping it all in the family.  He was an assistant coach at RBL before taking over at RBS, which was also after he was coaching at NY RB. 

I have to think the Red Bull family thinks highly of him at this point.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 2

On 10/26/2020 at 4:08 PM, NewlyRetired said:

I'm sure its been noted previously, but maybe you can again...  With several US Internationals playing in the CL this week, do we have a full USMNT lineup we can field from European based players only?  If not what would we be missing?

Christian Pulisic is in the reserves today for Chelsea FC, playing at FK Krasnodar in the Champions League.

Mount and Pulisic are both on the bench, but Hudson-Odoi is starting, indicating perhaps Lampard has gone back to hating Americans, but that his love for the English is incomplete, limited in a way. 

12 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Mount and Pulisic are both on the bench, but Hudson-Odoi is starting, indicating perhaps Lampard has gone back to hating Americans, but that his love for the English is incomplete, limited in a way. 

Honestly surprised that Chelsea isn't sitting more of their preferred starters.  Pulisic was a certainty given he's coming off an injury, but I thought they'd rest Werner and Havertz too considering the minutes those two are putting in.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Honestly surprised that Chelsea isn't sitting more of their preferred starters.  Pulisic was a certainty given he's coming off an injury, but I thought they'd rest Werner and Havertz too considering the minutes those two are putting in.

Agreed - very conservative from Lampard, although CHO, Rudigger and Kova haven't played much at all this season so there are a few fresh faces.  I think they have 5 subs in the CL this season, so maybe he'll get some of the tired legs off early if the early game goes well for CFC.

Just now, CletiusMaximus said:

Agreed - very conservative from Lampard, although CHO, Rudigger and Kova haven't played much at all this season so there are a few fresh faces.  I think they have 5 subs in the CL this season, so maybe he'll get some of the tired legs off early if the early game goes well for CFC.

Surprised by the Kova thing.  I think he's one of the best in the world at connecting the backline to the attack, yet despite Chelsea struggling to do this so far this year, he's been absent.  Strange.  He was easily their POTY last year too IMO.

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Hudson-Odoi goal

WRONG THREAD

1 hour ago, encaitar said:

Surprised by the Kova thing.  I think he's one of the best in the world at connecting the backline to the attack, yet despite Chelsea struggling to do this so far this year, he's been absent.  Strange.  He was easily their POTY last year too IMO.

yeah, I don't really know what's going on with him.  He was suspended for the first game, and I expected him to start as soon as he became available.  Jorghino/Kante doesn't seem to be very effective.

meanwhile - Pulisic in the game, and just drew a penalty.  Not by being fouled, but it was his shot that caused the handball and indirectly created Chelsea's second goal.

Kind of embarrassing for #10 there - whiffed on a bicycle.  Got the hockey assist for goal #3 though.

Hmm, do I give credit for Pulisic drawing the PK or should I reserve that to when a player draws a foul in the area?

5 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Gio getting the start for Dortmund, Horvath back to the bench for Bruges

Adams on bench for RBL.

9 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Pulisic gets his first goal of the season.  Nutmegged the keeper.

While he was not ultra sharp, it is hard to complain about a sub appearance where you are involved in all 3 goals.   Great to see.

I still have no idea whether I should give him credit for the pk or not when I track the goals/assist/pk thing for him, Sargent and Reyna....I think I will.  Everyone on twitter is calling it a drawn PK

Edited by NewlyRetired

On 10/20/2020 at 4:54 PM, NewlyRetired said:

Fifth Update:

Combined G/A/Pk's drawn:

Sargent: 2

Reyna: 7

Pulisic: 0

Sixth Update:

Combined G/A/Pk's drawn:

Sargent: 2

Reyna: 7

Pulisic: 2

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

While he was not ultra sharp, it is hard to complain about a sub appearance where you are involved in all 3 goals.   Great to see.

I still have no idea whether I should give him credit for the pk or not when I track the goals/assist/pk thing for him, Sargent and Reyna....I think I will.  Everyone on twitter is calling it a drawn PK

I would.  They don't score that goal without his drawing the penalty.  

While he wasn't super sharp, Chelsea certainly turned the tables when he came on.  Kras was looking tough for a good 20 minutes of the second half and then the subs came on and it was game over.  Now, Mount and Kante added their part to that, but Pulisic is still the forward driving force for that team.  He is so direct it immediately puts the defense on their back foot.

FYI, it's really not fair when you can bring on Pulisic, Mount, and Kante as your subs.  That Chelsea team is stacked.

• Like 2

Gio on the left today with Haaland in middle and Sancho on right.

$325+ million in future transfer fees :)

• Laughing 1

Gio just missed a left footed banger by a couple of inches.  Hit the ball near perfectly.

Reyna and Sancho have switched sides

Edited by NewlyRetired

Difficult half for Dortmund.  Zenit are parking the bus.  Dortmund played the entire half in Zenit's end but no break through.  Lots of pressure on Dortmund here to win so I expect there will be subs.  Gio has not played badly at all but he could get subbed if a goal is not found in the first 15 minutes of the second half.

Reyna beat Pulisic's record by 12 days and is now the youngest American ever to start a Champions League game.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, B Maverick said:

I'm sure its been noted previously, but maybe you can again...  With several US Internationals playing in the CL this week, do we have a full USMNT lineup we can field from European based players only?  If not what would we be missing?

Yes, I believe so.  An 11 like this would perform very well even given the young age of the players

....................................Steffen

Dest...............Miazga.............Brooks..............Robinson

.............................Adams............Weston

Weah...............................Reyna................................Pulisic

................................Sargent

Subs:

CCV, Morales, Green, Horvath, Uly, Bacon, Ream, EPB, Cannon, Yedlin etc

we will get a look soon at an all Euro based lineup (except maybe Johnny) at the friendly next month against Wales as I don't think they intend call any MLS players for the trip.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

16 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Yes, I believe so.  An 11 like this would perform very well even given the young age of the players

....................................Steffen

Dest...............Miazga.............Brooks..............Robinson

.............................Adams............Weston

Weah...............................Reyna................................Pulisic

................................Sargent

Subs:

CCV, Morales, Green, Horvath, Uly, Bacon, Ream, EPB, Cannon, Yedlin etc

we will get a look soon at an all Euro based lineup (except maybe Johnny) at the friendly next month against Wales as I don't think they intend call any MLS players for the trip.

:goodposting:

I want to click the heart, like and thanks buttons for this. 

I admit I am a bit of a euro-snob/anti-MLS for my national team player selections, so I will say this should be the starting point for the USMNT.  That is as long as these players are getting meaningful minutes for their teams.  And yes, of course there are a couple MLS players that deserve to play over some of these guys, I am not against that at all.  So I am very much looking forward to the next round of friendlies to see how the Euro based players look individually and together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

I want to click the heart, like and thanks buttons for this. 

I admit I am a bit of a euro-snob/anti-MLS for my national team player selections, so I will say this should be the starting point for the USMNT.  That is as long as these players are getting meaningful minutes for their teams.  And yes, of course there are a couple MLS players that deserve to play over some of these guys, I am not against that at all.  So I am very much looking forward to the next round of friendlies to see how the Euro based players look individually and together.

It is not being a Euro snob to want our players to be playing at the highest level possible IMO.  I think players moving on from MLS to bigger leagues is exactly what we want to see continue to happen.  Maybe in our lifetime MLS would grow into a top  league itself but seeing that is coming no time soon, following the development path to Europe's big league seems to make the most sense.

In terms of starters, probably Morris and Long from MLS are the two players that would have a chance to start.   But MLS players will be important to the roster due to depth issues and the unyielding fact that many of our Euro players have ongoing health issues.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

It is not being a Euro snob to want our players to be playing at the highest level possible IMO.  I think players moving on from MLS to bigger leagues is exactly what we want to see continue to happen.  Maybe in our lifetime MLS would grow into a top  league itself but seeing that is coming no time soon, following the development path to Europe's big league seems to make the most sense.

In terms of starters, probably Morris and Long from MLS are the two players that would have a chance to start.   But MLS players will be important to the roster due to depth issues and the unyielding fact that many of our Euro players have ongoing health issues.

I agree with this.  I may have posted it before, but I think the MLS should embrace and market itself as a stepping stone to Europe.  As players with brighter futures start coming into MLS as a means to get overseas, the level of the MLS rises.  Plus not everyone will go. Some talents will stay and that is good for the league too.  In the end it will make MLS better.

Just now, B Maverick said:

I agree with this.  I may have posted it before, but I think the MLS should embrace and market itself as a stepping stone to Europe.  As players with brighter futures start coming into MLS as a means to get overseas, the level of the MLS rises.  Plus not everyone will go. Some talents will stay and that is good for the league too.  In the end it will make MLS better.

it has been a slow march but I think we are finally there.  Once every owner saw what Vancouver got for Alphonso Davies, I think it made even the most hard core of owners change their mind.

Look at these recent (two days ago) comments from the Philly owner, this is exactly what so many have hoped for in attitude:

=================================

FTW: Congratulations on this sale of Aaronson. And I should say the fact that I’m even saying congratulations, and this is something that is being celebrated — not just internally, but externally with the marketing around it — is something that feels new. I’m not sure 10 years ago in MLS people would be making a big deal of a young player being sold to a bigger club. Do you think that’s changed?

Richie Graham: Yeah, no, I think it’s a fair point. However, if you look at the evolution of MLS over the last 25 years, the first 10 years there was a lot of focus and energy on issues like building stadiums and putting first teams in place.

As the league has evolved, they’ve grown and began to deploy capital, focus, resources and energy into other places. Ten years ago, there were a few MLS academies, but not not nearly the level of focus and energy today. Today, MLS is probably investing over 50, 60 million annually, into their academy programs. They just also taken on, as you know, MLS Next, which is a massive undertaking focused on the grassroots. And so that’s kind of part of the natural evolution.

With that investment into academies, you’re now beginning to see some incredible results, not just for Philadelphia Union, but across the league. And I think that bodes very, very well for the league.

North America is a massive, massive talent pool, which is a bit underserved, if you will, in terms of the global market. So there’s big opportunities for young players here and for MLS to sort of be able to identify this player at a young age and put them in a good environment, put them into MLS, showcase them, and then ultimately transact on to them if they head overseas. That’s a great business model for for MLS.

FTW: We are now seeing major European clubs take chances on young American and Canadian players in a way that we haven’t really seen before. Do you think that this is a result of changing perceptions in Europe? Or is it a result of the quality of play from our young players is just much higher right now? 

RG: I think it’s both.

Regarding MLS, I think that it’s producing young players and the number of Americans that are doing well over in Europe right now, in the Champions League, that certainly helps.

I would say that with the early pioneers, you think about guys like Claudio Reyna, that had to really go carve out their own path over there. They were probably walking into locker rooms where there wasn’t a lot of belief, and they had to fight for their position. Guys like Clint Dempsey, they had to fight for everything they ever got.

And so that generation started it, and this group that’s coming through now is kind of riding on that a little bit. I think that the perception of the American player is going up, but also the standard of the average player in our country is going up at every level. Whether you go down to the grassroots, U-12 all the way up to MLS, it’s improving.

I like to think about like we’re investing in player development, and we’re doing it with the wind at your back, or you’re swimming with the tide. The level is getting better and better. So I do think it’s both.

• Thanks 1

It really is very exciting. 

Obviously other guys have blazed various parts of the trail.  But it seems like Christian really is the guy who is pushing the rock off the edge of the cliff.

He's 22 years old and he's playing for (and honestly....starring for, when he's healthy) a team that could buy basically anyone. (outside of MAYBE 10 players)    If there was an American glass ceiling, its truly broken now. .

The kids that are in their early teens now have domestic opportunities and resources (through the academies) that he didn't have. Obviously he's a unique talent (with a father that knew how to develop it, which was HUGE) and was able to get over to Europe early. But the next generation has a leg up in terms of their early growth. And we're starting to see the fruits of that. Who knows where we'll be 5 years from now.

Edited by TLEF316
  • Like 3

Just now, TLEF316 said:

The kids that are in their early teens now have domestic opportunities and resources (through the academies) that he didn't have. Obviously he's a unique talent (with a father that knew how to develop it) and was able to get over to Europe early. But the next generation has a leg up in terms of their early growth. And we're stating to see the fruits of that. Who knows where we'll be 5 years from now.

lots of :popcorn:to be eaten while waiting :)

• Like 1

This is really well done.  Highly recommend if you have some time to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBTV5zjhDs4

if this does not excite fans, I don't know what else could possibly.  I know many will remain skeptical and won't come back until they see some real results but for those of us who never left, damn this is fun to watch.

Edited by NewlyRetired
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

if this does not excite fans, I don't know what else could possibly.  I know many will remain skeptical and won't come back until they see some real results but for those of us who never left, damn this is fun to watch.

I recommend you watch quickly as this is the type of video that is likely to be taken down due to copywrite type issues.

Edited by NewlyRetired

55 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

interesting (albeit probably a bit wishful thinking) that Alvarez was in there.

1 hour ago, TLEF316 said:

interesting (albeit probably a bit wishful thinking) that Alvarez was in there.

Yeah, I would not have added him myself but I guess technically he is still eligible.

3 hours ago, TLEF316 said:

It really is very exciting. 

Obviously other guys have blazed various parts of the trail.  But it seems like Christian really is the guy who is pushing the rock off the edge of the cliff.

He's 22 years old and he's playing for (and honestly....starring for, when he's healthy) a team that could buy basically anyone. (outside of MAYBE 10 players)    If there was an American glass ceiling, its truly broken now. .

The kids that are in their early teens now have domestic opportunities and resources (through the academies) that he didn't have. Obviously he's a unique talent (with a father that knew how to develop it, which was HUGE) and was able to get over to Europe early. But the next generation has a leg up in terms of their early growth. And we're starting to see the fruits of that. Who knows where we'll be 5 years from now.

I'll keep beating MLS academy drum, but this is going to further accelerate as the academies continue to grow.  McKennie, Adams, Aaronson are going to be more common stories in the future.

• Like 1