What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carolina WR Strategy. (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
This past offseason, the Carolina Panthers cleared house and cut ties with veteran receivers Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, and Ted Ginn Jr. These players accounted for 265 targets or in other words, 56% of the Carolina Panthers passing offense.

Below is an in-depth analysis of this situation:

READ MORE

Just draft Cam and Olsen. Leave everyone else alone, as it will vary from week to week I think. Cam will spread it around to everyone.

I have the same feeling as what was stated in the article. If can get the number one WR for a team in the 10th round then why not?

And Cotchery late late in the draft then why not? He had 10 TDs last year and is likely to win the number 2 spot. If miss on my 10th and second last round picks I should be fine. If they hit I'm sitting pretty.

I do expect that their ADP starts to rise by the time the late August drafts start to get going.

I disagree with everyone so far. Benjamin is going to produce int his offense, basically because he is the only option out wide with a good QB. It's not like he sucks, I dont understand the fad of disliking Benjamin for whatever made up reason some people have. Olsen will still get a ton of targets and face it, this running game sucks in Carolina both Williams and Stewart are not doing much if they can even stay healthy.

Steve Smith couldn't crack the top 40 WRs in Carolina last year, and none of the current WRs are as good as even washed up Smith. Carolina's offense is going to go through Greg Olsen and the RBs. I'll pass on the WRs even late -- even if you guess right and get the WR1 there's just no upside.

I disagree with everyone so far. Benjamin is going to produce int his offense, basically because he is the only option out wide with a good QB. It's not like he sucks, I dont understand the fad of disliking Benjamin for whatever made up reason some people have. Olsen will still get a ton of targets and face it, this running game sucks in Carolina both Williams and Stewart are not doing much if they can even stay healthy.
If you believe the Panthers are going to have a bad run game and Benjamin is the only option outside of Olsen then how do you see him putting up good numbers in double or triple coverage?

Steve Smith couldn't crack the top 40 WRs in Carolina last year, and none of the current WRs are as good as even washed up Smith. Carolina's offense is going to go through Greg Olsen and the RBs. I'll pass on the WRs even late -- even if you guess right and get the WR1 there's just no upside.
Good point about Steve Smith. With Benjamin I just don't see how he can get less than 100 targets this year. I just don't see how how you could turn down that much opportunity in the 10th round. Plus, Benjamin has more red zone/jump ball potential than Smith.

Being slow off the line and being unable to beat the jam seem like valid reasons concerns and reasons to be skeptical of him to me. And I like KB.

Carolina was 11th in rushing yardage last year and 9th in 2012. Granted, Cam skews things a bit, but their rushing offense certainly doesn't "suck." And Benjamin might end up being good long term, but he's extremely raw and asking any rookie to serve as a team's WR1 right out of the gate is a pretty tall order.

Good point about Steve Smith. With Benjamin I just don't see how he can get less than 100 targets this year. I just don't see how how you could turn down that much opportunity in the 10th round. Plus, Benjamin has more red zone/jump ball potential than Smith.
Maybe he'll see 100 targets, but IMO probably not. He's physically the best WR on the roster, but I personally don't think he's near polished enough to pass guys that have been in the league a while right out of the gate. Agree that he might have some TD heavy appeal due to his size on the fade, but I think it's more likely that he needs most of the year to learn how to run NFL routes. I think that guys like Amendola, Boldin, and Jennings, who are all going later, actually have both a higher floor and a higher ceiling in 2014.

Being slow off the line and being unable to beat the jam seem like valid reasons concerns and reasons to be skeptical of him to me. And I like KB.
Have you seen him not be able to do these things in an NFL game yet?

The article twice references Cam as a "4,000 yard passer." The reality is that he has only done it once in his career. And it wasn't last year. In 2013, Cam threw for less than 3,400 yards. So there is a good starting point for expectations.

In addition, no Carolina WR in 2013 had more than 750 receving yards. That could mean that Cam likes to spread it around, there was no receiver with the talent to be a No. 1 receiver, or simply that the entire CAR passing game is anemic at best.

It is obvious that by drafting Benjamin in the first round CAR expects/hopes that he will quickly emerge as a true #1 WR. But as comps neither Megatron nor Julio Jones reached 1K receiving yards in their rookie year.

While it is true that Keenan Allen as a rookie emerged as a viable fantasy play it is also true that Philip Rivers threw for over 4,300 yards and 30 TD's. Cam won't come close to that this year.

So while I agree that Benjamin will be a premier red zone target it must be remembered that by far Cam's favorite red zone target is.....himself. He has never thrown for more than 24 TD's in a season and 2014 should be no different.

When put into the context of Cam's historical stats and tendencies, for Benjamin, 800 yards receiving and 8 TD's will be stellar rookie year. But for fantasy purposes that will be replacement level WR3 stats and you can get those off the waiver wire on a weekly basis for pennies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carolina was 11th in rushing yardage last year and 9th in 2012. Granted, Cam skews things a bit, but their rushing offense certainly doesn't "suck." And Benjamin might end up being good long term, but he's extremely raw and asking any rookie to serve as a team's WR1 right out of the gate is a pretty tall order.
Let me clarify, even though you kind of hinted around you know what I mean. Clearly if I mention Stewart and Williams specifically, that means I was talking about them. Of course Cam skew things, did not feel the need to state the obvious.

Asking a rookie to step in and do something, dont they do that every year? Allen stepped in to be the teams #1 and a lot of people had something negative to say about him this time last year as he is going the same spot that Benjamin is in rookie drafts.

Maybe he'll see 100 targets, but IMO probably not. He's physically the best WR on the roster, but I personally don't think he's near polished enough to pass guys that have been in the league a while right out of the gate. Agree that he might have some TD heavy appeal due to his size on the fade, but I think it's more likely that he needs most of the year to learn how to run NFL routes. I think that guys like Amendola, Boldin, and Jennings, who are all going later, actually have both a higher floor and a higher ceiling in 2014.
This route thing is way overblown. When you look at tape he ran more routes than guys drafted much higher. Further he showed more than route running he showed recognition. Several times you can see him take what the defense left open and sit down in an open zone to present a target to the QB.

He is going to get a ton of chances. And they spent time at OTAs and mini-camp practicing throwing him jump balls.

The article twice references Cam as a "4,000 yard passer." The reality is that he has only done it once in his career. And it wasn't last year. In 2013, Cam threw for less than 3,400 yards. So there is a good starting point for expectations. So is he a 4000 yard passer? The answer is yes.

In addition, no Carolina WR in 2013 had more than 750 receving yards. That could mean that Cam likes to spread it around, there was no receiver with the talent to be a No. 1 receiver, or simply that the entire CAR passing game is anemic at best. This is true.

It is obvious that by drafting Benjamin in the first round CAR expects/hopes that he will quickly emerge as a true #1 WR. But as comps neither Megatron nor Julio Jones reached 1K receiving yards in their rookie year. Who was the Lions QB Johnsons rookie year and wasnt there a stud #1 already on Atlanta?

While it is true that Keenan Allen as a rookie emerged as a viable fantasy play it is also true that Philip Rivers threw for over 4,300 yards and 30 TD's. Cam won't come close to that this year. You are an etitled to your opinion, but thats what it is, an opinion. He very well could reach those numbers.

So while I agree that Benjamin will be a premier red zone target it must be remembered that by far Cam's favorite red zone target is.....himself. He has never thrown for more than 24 TD's in a season and 2014 should be no different. Again, Opinion.

When put into the context of Cam's historical stats and tendencies, for Benjamin, 800 yards receiving and 8 TD's will be stellar rookie year. But for fantasy purposes that will be replacement level WR3 stats and you can get those off the waiver wire on a weekly basis for pennies. Is it really that easy to find a WR3 on the waiver wire in 12-14 man bid leagues? Not always as easy as some may think.
My thoughts bolded.

Cut that stupid BS out. How exactly is it going to get any easier for him against bigger, stronger professionals?

Steve Smith has slowed down over the last few years. He didn't lose his fire, but he lost his jets. He would have liked to have moved to the slot, but there was nobody to take his place on the outside while at Carolina.

This route thing is way overblown. When you look at tape he ran more routes than guys drafted much higher. Further he showed more than route running he showed recognition. Several times you can see him take what the defense left open and sit down in an open zone to present a target to the QB.

He is going to get a ton of chances. And they spent time at OTAs and mini-camp practicing throwing him jump balls.
To clarify, I was speaking as much about rookie WRs in general as I was about Benjamin specifically. WRs typically don't step in and provide good FF production as rookies -- it's much more of a learned position than is RB for example. Of course there are exceptions, but for the most part rostering rookie WRs in redraft leagues is a -EV play. I actually think Benjamin is pretty strong value at his current ADP in dynasty, but I doubt he's anything great in 2014.

The article twice references Cam as a "4,000 yard passer." The reality is that he has only done it once in his career. And it wasn't last year. In 2013, Cam threw for less than 3,400 yards. So there is a good starting point for expectations. So is he a 4000 yard passer? The answer is yes.

In addition, no Carolina WR in 2013 had more than 750 receving yards. That could mean that Cam likes to spread it around, there was no receiver with the talent to be a No. 1 receiver, or simply that the entire CAR passing game is anemic at best. This is true.

It is obvious that by drafting Benjamin in the first round CAR expects/hopes that he will quickly emerge as a true #1 WR. But as comps neither Megatron nor Julio Jones reached 1K receiving yards in their rookie year. Who was the Lions QB Johnsons rookie year and wasnt there a stud #1 already on Atlanta?

While it is true that Keenan Allen as a rookie emerged as a viable fantasy play it is also true that Philip Rivers threw for over 4,300 yards and 30 TD's. Cam won't come close to that this year. You are an etitled to your opinion, but thats what it is, an opinion. He very well could reach those numbers.

So while I agree that Benjamin will be a premier red zone target it must be remembered that by far Cam's favorite red zone target is.....himself. He has never thrown for more than 24 TD's in a season and 2014 should be no different. Again, Opinion.

When put into the context of Cam's historical stats and tendencies, for Benjamin, 800 yards receiving and 8 TD's will be stellar rookie year. But for fantasy purposes that will be replacement level WR3 stats and you can get those off the waiver wire on a weekly basis for pennies. Is it really that easy to find a WR3 on the waiver wire in 12-14 man bid leagues? Not always as easy as some may think.
My thoughts bolded.
Labeling a guy a 4,000 yd passer when he has done it once in three years (and that was in 2011) is obviously a stretch.

Of course it is true that Cam "very well could" reach 5,000 yards and 40 TD's. Peyton Manning could throw for 70 TD's this year. If you want to base your FF draft picks on outlying probabilities vs. what is most realistic then that is your prerogative.

Maybe if you did some work and offered projections supported by logic and rationale we could have a real discussion comparing the two.

The whole premise of the article, to me, is mostly built on a rocky foundation. Yes, Benjamin COULD be in line for a decent season . . . but COULD is the operative word. The floor of 62-868-6 is more like wishful thinking. Only 4 Carolina receivers have ever had seasons hitting all 3 of those milestones in a season, with the huge majority of them accomplished by Steve Smith.

Secondly, since 2000 only 5 rookie WRs have posted a season at all those levels. So stating that as a floor seems pretty aggressive.

As far as the Cam = 4,000 yard passer. That one is a bit misleading. Given his current base of receiving options, I don't see Cam coming close to 4,000 yards passing. Here are Cam's passing yardage numbers in 8 game increments across his career: 2393, 1658, 1902, 1967, 1578, 1801. What I see in that is that Cam caught the league by surprise but once there was tape and teams could game plan, his crazy passing numbers passing stopped.

So IMO, the article concluded that Benjamin was going to have a big season and then engineered an article to prove what they wanted as an outcome, rather than do the research and then come to a conclusion.

ETA . . .

CAR WR rankings each year in the Cam era:

2011 6, 57, 81

2012 19, 49, 97

2013 43, 49, 54

Obviously the two noteworthy seasons were by Steve Smith, who at that point was a long established receiver. But the rest of the WR production from the other guys was essentially not that great.

The whole premise of the article, to me, is mostly built on a rocky foundation. Yes, Benjamin COULD be in line for a decent season . . . but COULD is the operative word. The floor of 62-868-6 is more like wishful thinking. Only 4 Carolina receivers have ever had seasons hitting all 3 of those milestones in a season, with the huge majority of them accomplished by Steve Smith.

Secondly, since 2000 only 5 rookie WRs have posted a season at all those levels. So stating that as a floor seems pretty aggressive.

As far as the Cam = 4,000 yard passer. That one is a bit misleading. Given his current base of receiving options, I don't see Cam coming close to 4,000 yards passing. Here are Cam's passing yardage numbers in 8 game increments across his career: 2393, 1658, 1902, 1967, 1578, 1801. What I see in that is that Cam caught the league by surprise but once there was tape and teams could game plan, his crazy passing numbers passing stopped.

So IMO, the article concluded that Benjamin was going to have a big season and then engineered an article to prove what they wanted as an outcome, rather than do the research and then come to a conclusion.
I agree but I have think there is more to the story. Newton had career highs in completion percentage and TDs. He had a career low in yardage. Steve Smith started with 17.6 then 16.1 ypc during Newtons first two years. Last year he had 11.6 ypc. Teams were able to box Cam in because Smith doesn't have the wheels anymore to stretch the field.

Benjamin can run a surprisingly nice deep route for a big man. If the Carolina run game can force defenses to play 8 or 9 in the box it should open up Benjamin for those deep balls. Also, Benjamin should open up a real red zone option too. Newton has had his rushing totals decline every year which may lead to him looking for that big guy in the red zone instead of keeping it.

I don't think Benjamin is going to be consistent or put up high receptions but he could have those big weeks that if he hits during bye weeks or as a short term injury fill in.

Cut that stupid BS out. How exactly is it going to get any easier for him against bigger, stronger professionals?
Coaching and because he is raw and players can get better and certain things. Tell me, in the championship game did he have a tough time getting off the line and breaking a jam to score the TD to win the title for Florida St. against a SEC defense?

That website sucks, I don't know why Joe lets you spam links to your own fantasy site all over the board. Pretty transparent attempt to just solicit some clicks from an established and successful site/forum in FBG's. You don't even quote a few paragraphs as a preview, you actually make someone click the link to see how poorly written and researched it is.

My thoughts bolded.
Labeling a guy a 4,000 yd passer when he has done it once in three years (and that was in 2011) is obviously a stretch.

Of course it is true that Cam "very well could" reach 5,000 yards and 40 TD's. Peyton Manning could throw for 70 TD's this year. If you want to base your FF draft picks on outlying probabilities vs. what is most realistic then that is your prerogative.

Maybe if you did some work and offered projections supported by logic and rationale we could have a real discussion comparing the two.
Your the one who is just sharing an opinion, so I shared mine. Whats it matter what we discuss, even when someone provides facts like the 4000 yard passer statement you like to disagree so will it really matter? Fact is the Panthers drafted him in the 1st to be a franchise WR so he will be given every chance to succeed and he has a darn good QB to throw to him, that's my opinion. But I get my opinion based on the facts if his situation, which is he is going to be the unquestioned #1 WR, he has a guy who has thrown for 4k throwing to him, and being drafted in the first typically means he will be given every chance to succeed.

That website sucks, I don't know why Joe lets you spam links to another fantasy site all over the board. Pretty transparent attempt to just solicit some clicks from an established and successful site/forum in FBG's. You don't even quote a few paragraphs as a preview, you actually make someone click the link to see how poorly written and researched it is.
Where is your website? I think sharing anything football related on a football forum is more then expected and appreciated. People share ESPN links and stories of writers opinions, why cant he share the stories he wants?

Plus it has some good discussion, that is until someone comes in and tries insulting the site because they are having a bad day.

That website sucks, I don't know why Joe lets you spam links to another fantasy site all over the board. Pretty transparent attempt to just solicit some clicks from an established and successful site/forum in FBG's. You don't even quote a few paragraphs as a preview, you actually make someone click the link to see how poorly written and researched it is.
Where is your website? I think sharing anything football related on a football forum is more then expected and appreciated. People share ESPN links and stories of writers opinions, why cant he share the stories he wants?

Plus it has some good discussion, that is until someone comes in and tries insulting the site because they are having a bad day.
I'll say this, probably a thread on the Carolina WR situation is overdue. It's just interesting to follow (for some) even if not much FF value there.

Has nothing to do with the kind of day I'm having. Don't believe me as to his intentions? Here you go:

On 6/24: http://www.football-elite.com/topic/so-how-do-i-get-people-over-here/

So how do I get people over here...Without getting banned over there…?
Today 7/3: http://www.football-elite.com/topic/could-someone-post-a-thread-over-at-fbg-for-me/

I guess they’re getting tired of my **** over there and flagged me for spamming (I wasn’t) and placed my account on a moderator queue for 7 days. I need someone to start at thread with the following details:

Title: Carolina WR Strategy

Body:

“This past offseason, the Carolina Panthers cleared house and cut ties with veteran receivers Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, and Ted Ginn Jr. These players accounted for 265 targets or in other words, 56% of the Carolina Panthers passing offense.

READ MORE”

Thanks fellas, just trying to get some views to my article.
You were saying?

Of more concern to me is the improved Panther defense. The days of Cam piling up 4th-quarter garbage yards are likely gone.

Has nothing to do with the kind of day I'm having. Don't believe me as to his intentions? Here you go:On 6/24: http://www.football-elite.com/topic/so-how-do-i-get-people-over-here/

So how do I get people over here...Without getting banned over there?
Today 7/3: http://www.football-elite.com/topic/could-someone-post-a-thread-over-at-fbg-for-me/
I guess theyre getting tired of my **** over there and flagged me for spamming (I wasnt) and placed my account on a moderator queue for 7 days. I need someone to start at thread with the following details:

Body:

This past offseason, the Carolina Panthers cleared house and cut ties with veteran receivers Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, and Ted Ginn Jr. These players accounted for 265 targets or in other words, 56% of the Carolina Panthers passing offense.

READ MORE

You were saying?
Oh! Called out! :popcorn:

Has nothing to do with the kind of day I'm having. Don't believe me as to his intentions? Here you go:On 6/24: http://www.football-elite.com/topic/so-how-do-i-get-people-over-here/

So how do I get people over here...Without getting banned over there?
I guess theyre getting tired of my **** over there and flagged me for spamming (I wasnt) and placed my account on a moderator queue for 7 days. I need someone to start at thread with the following details:

Body:

READ MORE

You were saying?
Oh! Called out! :popcorn:
Yeah, it does look like he has planned to do this stuff, he also sent me an email to his link. I guess you would only know these things unless you were looking at his site, I only clicked on that story, I didnt go digging.

Pretty much from day one it has been considered spam to advertise another website here that deals with fantasy football. Joe and the gang spent years building this they don't owe him any pageviews. He has been warned once apparently.

Has nothing to do with the kind of day I'm having. Don't believe me as to his intentions? Here you go:

On 6/24: http://www.football-elite.com/topic/so-how-do-i-get-people-over-here/

So how do I get people over here...Without getting banned over there…?

I guess they’re getting tired of my **** over there and flagged me for spamming (I wasn’t) and placed my account on a moderator queue for 7 days. I need someone to start at thread with the following details:

Body:

“This past offseason, the Carolina Panthers cleared house and cut ties with veteran receivers Steve Smith, Brandon LaFell, and Ted Ginn Jr. These players accounted for 265 targets or in other words, 56% of the Carolina Panthers passing offense.

READ MORE”

You were saying?
I don't get what the problem is. This is a business. If you don't want to read my articles, don't read my articles. The fact of the matter is that my threads on this website have been going 1 - 10 pages and I have been giving some very solid fantasy advice.

This is opportunity in Carolina. Especially for that cost, you'd be foolish not to grab yourself a piece of the pie.

The ignorance of some of you is staggering:

1.) There are 259 targets opening up in the Carolina Offense.
2.) Carolina drafted a WR in the 1st Round who is 6 ft 5, 245 lbs.

3.) This player is available in the 10th round.

4.) He's a near lock for 100+ targets sitting on your bench.

5.) Cam Newton is a decent Quarterback.

Mock Roster:

QB1
RB1
RB2
WR1
WR2
WR3
TE1
Your Pick

Your Pick

Kelvin Benjamin

I think you will be hard pressed to find a player with MORE opportunity (especially RZ opportunity) sitting in the 10th round.. Dude is easily going to see 100+ targets, be frequently targeted in the RZ. If you guys don't want him, I'll love having this guy and his potential sitting on my bench to fill bye-weeks and injuries.

I agree that the opportunity should be there, and while they haven't done much in the way of end zone fade stuff with Cam, you'd think they would add something along those lines for Benjamin.

I'm old and it's hard for me to get over my rookie WR bias, so there are a few guys being drafted after Benjamin who I would personally prefer-Jennings, Marvin Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Dobson. All in a similar tier though.

Mock Roster:

QB1

RB1

RB2

WR1

WR2

WR3

TE1

Your Pick

Your Pick

Kelvin Benjamin

I think you will be hard pressed to find a player with MORE opportunity (especially RZ opportunity). Dude is easily going to see 100+ targets, be frequently targeted in the RZ. If you guys don't want him, I'll love having this guy and his potential sitting on my bench to fill bye-weeks and injuries.
I don't think people are finding fault with drafting Benjamin and having him on your bench. I found fault with the article calling his "floor" as 62-868-6. That is well above average for a rookie.

As far as how many targets and receptions there are to be redistributed, the same thing could be said last year in NE. Like 90% of their receiving production was in flux and was not walking back in the door. And no one really had a great season (although Edelman ended up having a good year in PPR leagues).

Between Olsen, Benjamin, Cotchery, Avant, and Underwood I would guess there will be some pedestrian totals across the board. Sure, Benjamin could be the new go to guy. But just because he is big doesn't mean he automatically is destined for double digit touchdowns.

Mock Roster:

QB1

RB1

RB2

WR1

WR2

WR3

TE1

Your Pick

Your Pick

Kelvin Benjamin

I think you will be hard pressed to find a player with MORE opportunity (especially RZ opportunity). Dude is easily going to see 100+ targets, be frequently targeted in the RZ. If you guys don't want him, I'll love having this guy and his potential sitting on my bench to fill bye-weeks and injuries.
I don't think people are finding fault with drafting Benjamin and having him on your bench. I found fault with the article calling his "floor" as 62-868-6. That is well above average for a rookie.

As far as how many targets and receptions there are to be redistributed, the same thing could be said last year in NE. Like 90% of their receiving production was in flux and was not walking back in the door. And no one really had a great season (although Edelman ended up having a good year in PPR leagues).

Between Olsen, Benjamin, Cotchery, Avant, and Underwood I would guess there will be some pedestrian totals across the board. Sure, Benjamin could be the new go to guy. But just because he is big doesn't mean he automatically is destined for double digit touchdowns.
Naturally but I am also very impressed by what I've seen on tape. He's as tough to bring down as a 245 should be and his ability to high-point the ball is very impressive. Assuming they keep it simple for him year-1, he has a very specific skillset that should allow him to succeed early on.

He's obviously only going to continue to improve as he learns the position at a professional level. He's got two things going for him that most Rookies don't:

1.) Size. He's 6ft 5, a short defender playing perfect defense will get beaten by this guy. I'm not too afraid of this 245lb guy taking too many hits over the middle either.

2.) Opportunity. He's penciled in as a starter from Week 1.

EDIT:

The argument could be made that if Amendola stayed healthy (yeah, right...) that he would have been the big yardage guy in New England.

I agree that the opportunity should be there, and while they haven't done much in the way of end zone fade stuff with Cam, you'd think they would add something along those lines for Benjamin.

I'm old and it's hard for me to get over my rookie WR bias, so there are a few guys being drafted after Benjamin who I would personally prefer-Jennings, Marvin Jones, DeAndre Hopkins, Dobson. All in a similar tier though.
Jennings has an unproven QB on an Offense that will look to:

1.) Run with Peterson.

2.) Put the ball in Patterson's hands.

Jones is a bit overrated due to his 4 Touchdown game which I feel is an anomaly. He is on my draft list as a bye-week filler, however (same tier as Benjamin, ranked lower).

Hopkins is on an Offense that will look to:

1.) Run the ball and control on Defense.

2.) Put the ball in Andre Johnson's hands.

Dobson is an interesting one. I could see an argument for him over Benjamin if you believe based on talent: Dobson > Benjamin.

Some good points there. Extending a bit:

All of those guys I like have a higher floor than Benjamin, imo because they have succeeded on some level. Dobson's sample size is small though.

- I have the same level of faith in Bridgewater that you have in Benjamin, and I'm dubious of Patterson's ability to run a variety of routes (caught a lot of short dump off type passes last year), which is part of why I seem to be driving the Jennings is undervalued bus :)

- I think Jones' targets will increase which will offset the TD randomness. I like his skillset quite a bit.

- Hopkins is a play on talent and recency bias aka 2nd year receivers often fall by the wayside if they don't produce immediately. IIRC he did well initially before Houston imploded on itself.

Good discussion, you have me thinking over my options here which can only help on draft day :hifive:

All this talk and no mention of Tavarres King... I've been grabbing him in the last round of all kind of drafts, hoping that he can approximate the Ted Ginn role from last year's panthers. He's the only receiver on that team with the deep threat skill set. I see Avant and Cotchery as filling the same old-WR2-but-more-effective-in-the-slot role, and Benjamin as the WR1 in training. That leaves King with an outside shot at WR2 duty going forward, if he shows something this year in camp/pre-season.

23 years old, 6'1' 191, former 5th round pick of the Broncos, had a pretty nice season in the SEC in 2012 with 42-950-9 (22 YPR!) including 5-142 against Alabama. Certainly a lotto-ticket, but a very cheap one with a clear opportunity.

All this talk and no mention of Tavarres King... I've been grabbing him in the last round of all kind of drafts, hoping that he can approximate the Ted Ginn role from last year's panthers. He's the only receiver on that team with the deep threat skill set.
Tiquan Underwood has that skill set. Unfortunately that's pretty much all he is, other than a guy with ST experience. I'd love for a sleeper to emerge here, but they accumulated so many terrible veterans, I think the opportunity is pretty small.

For 2014 I will place my money on Cotchery to outproduce his ADP by a good margin in PPR and see the most targets between the 20's. He is far from a superstar but whenever a team leans on him he produces. He caught 10 touchdowns last year and was a fantasy WR2 in PPR for 2 or 3 years, opportunity is knocking with this situation. Expecting 100+ targets from a raw rookie is betting against history, I can see it in a TD heavy league and down the road but not this year.

personally I like Olsen to target at TE if you miss out on the top4 ~ish TE

At Wr I would only touch Benjamin this season in TD heavy leagues, I doubt his ppr totals would be that great.

otherwise, avoid.

Mock Roster:

QB1

RB1

RB2

WR1

WR2

WR3

TE1

Your Pick

Your Pick

Kelvin Benjamin

Naturally but I am also very impressed by what I've seen on tape. He's as tough to bring down as a 245 should be and his ability to high-point the ball is very impressive. Assuming they keep it simple for him year-1, he has a very specific skillset that should allow him to succeed early on.

He's obviously only going to continue to improve as he learns the position at a professional level. He's got two things going for him that most Rookies don't:

1.) Size. He's 6ft 5, a short defender playing perfect defense will get beaten by this guy. I'm not too afraid of this 245lb guy taking too many hits over the middle either.

sry was looking for the carolina receivers thread -- must've accidentally clicked the stephen hill thread

Mock Roster:

QB1

RB1

RB2

WR1

WR2

WR3

TE1

Your Pick

Your Pick

Kelvin Benjamin

I don't think people are finding fault with drafting Benjamin and having him on your bench. I found fault with the article calling his "floor" as 62-868-6. That is well above average for a rookie.As far as how many targets and receptions there are to be redistributed, the same thing could be said last year in NE. Like 90% of their receiving production was in flux and was not walking back in the door. And no one really had a great season (although Edelman ended up having a good year in PPR leagues).

sry was looking for the carolina receivers thread -- must've accidentally clicked the stephen hill thread
Just terrible. You're better than this Larry. Benjamin and Hill are completely different players.

All this talk and no mention of Tavarres King... I've been grabbing him in the last round of all kind of drafts, hoping that he can approximate the Ted Ginn role from last year's panthers. He's the only receiver on that team with the deep threat skill set. I see Avant and Cotchery as filling the same old-WR2-but-more-effective-in-the-slot role, and Benjamin as the WR1 in training. That leaves King with an outside shot at WR2 duty going forward, if he shows something this year in camp/pre-season.

23 years old, 6'1' 191, former 5th round pick of the Broncos, had a pretty nice season in the SEC in 2012 with 42-950-9 (22 YPR!) including 5-142 against Alabama. Certainly a lotto-ticket, but a very cheap one with a clear opportunity.
Best post in the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread