What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric cars - now worth considering (1 Viewer)

cosjobs

Footballguy
The technology seems to finally be here and affordable enough for me to jump in. They are somewhat quick, quite comfortable and can go 75-100 miles before needing a charge (as little as 2 hours, more likely 6-8 or even 15 if you only use 110v.). There are no more oil & gas costs and most states allow you to drive them solo in the HOV lanes.

Decided on the NIssan Leaf.

New ones list for $37K (for the top end with leather), but the get 7500 tax credit and 3500 rebate, so they're really 26K

However, I'd have to wait a while to get the tax credit and didn't want to finance that amount, even with the 0% for 72 months they offered.

However, on a lease, they roll in the 7500 tax credit immediately, so a 24 mo lease was about 280/mo with nothing down (again for the top of the line SL, the base is more like 200).

I hates leases and I was skeptical of the leather since it only comes in black and since the a/c also runs off the battery, I thought that might really cut into my range with the Texas heat I live in. So I started shopping used and found a while 2012 SL with tan interior that I was able to acquire for well under 20K with only 4000 miles on it. The only thing it does not have is leather seats and the "all around" camera that shows all around your car while driving, so there are no blind spots. It does have a backup camera, navigation, upgraded Bose stereo and about everything else I want in a car expect power seats (none of the Leafs offer power seats- too battery draining I suppose).

I found this one in Mississippi and it will be delivered in 6-9 days. I would ahve driven back myself, but stopping every 80 miles for a charge makes this unsuitable for road trips. But most of my driving is done in less than 75 miles in a day, so I expect his to be our daily driver for the most part and keep our other car for road trips.

We got 3% financing, so we pay about 300/mo, but should save close to that in gasoline costs every month. Most report that the electric bill only goes up about 30/mo.

Seems like a pretty mart decision at this point. It comes with a 3/36 bumper to bumper with 20 months and 32K miles remaining and the batter is guaranteed for 7 years, unlimited miles.

the tax credits in GA are some of the best in the country for all electric vehicles -- there's a LOT of Leafs (Leaves?) around here. I drove one and I've ridden in 3 or 4 others.

They're nicer than I expected. I'd get one.

Good for you cos! I'll probably go electric the next time I buy.

Are you really going to save $300 a month in gas? You fill up your tank 5-6 times a month? It's a no- brainer if so.

I drive 15-20 miles per day, so the numbers currently don't pencil out. Once they do, I will follow your lead.

Good for you cos! I'll probably go electric the next time I buy.

Are you really going to save $300 a month in gas? You fill up your tank 5-6 times a month? It's a no- brainer if so.

I drive 15-20 miles per day, so the numbers currently don't pencil out. Once they do, I will follow your lead.
I've been putting 15000 miles a year on my flex and we expect to drop that to 5000, plus the 5000 from my wife's car that we'll sell, so 15000 miles a year is 750 gallons x 4 dollars is 3000 or 250 a month? And that's probably ambitious, 200-225 a month?

the tax credits in GA are some of the best in the country for all electric vehicles -- there's a LOT of Leafs (Leaves?) around here. I drove one and I've ridden in 3 or 4 others.

They're nicer than I expected. I'd get one.
I was gobsmacked by the room and ride. Kind of removed like older luxury cars, but nice. I first drove it thinking "no way.," but 20 miles later I was trying to finda way to own one. Texas does not have additional rebates and incentives like many other states, so others can probably find better deals than I did.

Two things: it really cannot be your only car and you need a garage to set up the charging station.

Last edited by a moderator:
These things are complicated.

My 2012 has an onboard 3.3kw charger that will fully charge the battery in 8 hours on 240v

THe 2013 SV & SLs come with an onboard 6.6kw charger that will fully charge the battery in 4 hours on 240v

My 2012 SL also has quick charge capabilities (plugin) that allow it to use the CAdeMO 440v charger to get 80% charge in 30 minutes. I had confused that with the onboard 6.6kw.

The CAdeMO is about $15K, so I need them to take off and become popular to take advantage. So far there is only one in Austin at the Nissan North dealership, but there are scores in Dallas in Houston, at places like Cracker Barrel restaurants and Walgreens drug stores. My hope it that a city like Austin will incentivize the placement of the CAdeMOs all over the place.

THere are scores of the 240v stations here in Austin now, but I get about 10 miles range for every hour I am plugged in... really only practical to get me home if I'm not too far away.

Since I can ge3t a full charge overnight in 8 hours at home, its not that huge of a deal for me since I intend to drive less than 80 miles a day for the most part, but a prevalance of the CAdeMOs would make ownership FAR more practical across the board.

Nissan Leaf may soon go 250+ miles on a charge.

In an interview with Carlos Ghosn, the Tokyo Business Channel got the Nissan CEO to admit that the automaker is working on a 250+ mile electric car battery. Just when this battery will be ready, Ghosn isn’t saying, but it’s readily apparent that Tesla is starting to influence design decisions at major automakers.

Why do I say this? Because Nissan, like a lot of other automakers, launched a short-range electric car (the LEAF) because they wrongly believed nobody would pay a premium price for a longer range EV. Nissan has been asking customers how much extra they would pay for more driving range in their EVs, and while there are rumors Nissan might be getting out of the battery business, that’s appearing less likely to be the case.

Indeed as recently as last year, Nissan was caught testing a 48 kWh battery pack on a LEAF, which is double the size of the current production LEAF. With a new model pegged to debut next year, more range is almost certainly in the cards…the question is, how much? 150 miles seems to be the most reasonable guess, but could Nissan roll out a 200+ mile option for the next-gen LEAF?

A few days ago I would have said no. But now? Maybe Ghosn wants to beat the Tesla Model III to market with an affordable, 200+ mile EV. Maybe he’s talking about the far future. Or maybe, just maybe, Nissan has learned a few lessons from Tesla’s success and is ready to take Elon Musk up on the challenge of building great electric cars.

The more you guys buy these things the less the requirement for gas. This is a win win,you guys get to feel better and less gas is required.

These things are complicated.

My 2012 has an onboard 3.3kw charger that will fully charge the battery in 8 hours on 240v

THe 2013 SV & SLs come with an onboard 6.6kw charger that will fully charge the battery in 4 hours on 240v

My 2012 SL also has quick charge capabilities (plugin) that allow it to use the CAdeMO 440v charger to get 80% charge in 30 minutes. I had confused that with the onboard 6.6kw.

The CAdeMO is about $15K, so I need them to take off and become popular to take advantage. So far there is only one in Austin at the Nissan North dealership, but there are scores in Dallas in Houston, at places like Cracker Barrel restaurants and Walgreens drug stores. My hope it that a city like Austin will incentivize the placement of the CAdeMOs all over the place.

THere are scores of the 240v stations here in Austin now, but I get about 10 miles range for every hour I am plugged in... really only practical to get me home if I'm not too far away.

Since I can ge3t a full charge overnight in 8 hours at home, its not that huge of a deal for me since I intend to drive less than 80 miles a day for the most part, but a prevalance of the CAdeMOs would make ownership FAR more practical across the board.
Did you install a level 2(240v) charger at your house? I'm confused as to how you could be getting a full charge in 8 hours at home when you say your 3.3kw charger is only getting you 10m range/charging hour from a public station. That's the same as getting 80 miles of range in 8 hours.

I got a 2015 Leaf last month. I figured I'd use it for commuting and keep my G37s as my "fun car". After a month of driving the Leaf, I'm now pretty sure I'm going to sell my Infiniti.

Low gas prices have to be killing the hybrid/electric market.
I bet they're hurting the hybrid market. I'd guess the pure EV market is less effected.

even with the "cheap" gas at today's prices, EVs per mile are still insanely cheaper. Gas would have to drop to 32¢/gallon for my cost/mile to swing to electricity being a losing deal.

Just wondering, at what point do you consider replacement battery into your equation?

I know the batteries hace improved a great deal but what is their current life expectancy now?

I drive 125 miles a day and have never seen a charging station for an electric car.

I'd love to contribute to ending our reliance on foreign oil, though. Can someone PM me when an electric car is feasible for me? TIA.

Just wondering, at what point do you consider replacement battery into your equation?

I know the batteries hace improved a great deal but what is their current life expectancy now?
currently Nissan is promising (via warranty) that you will still have at least 75% capacity after 5y/60k miles or they'll replace they battery free of charge.

they announced this year that a full replacement not under warranty will be $5500 if you let nissan do the replacement. If that's the high water mark, and With Elon Musk pushing things on the battery front, I'm hopeful and moderately confident that battery costs are going to drop pretty significantly in the next 3-5 years by the time I'll need to replace. the 2017 Leafs are going to get a significant range bump (from 84 miles currently to current estimates of from "above 200" to 250 miles on a full charge), it's a pretty safe bet that I won't be replacing my battery with a new battery of the same range on my own dime.

Will the new battery packs retrofit to current? what will a 5 year old Leaf with ~80% battery capacity remaining fetch on the used market? stay tuned.

I drive 125 miles a day and have never seen a charging station for an electric car.

I'd love to contribute to ending our reliance on foreign oil, though. Can someone PM me when an electric car is feasible for me? TIA.
you mean an electric car other than a tesla?

I got a 2015 Leaf last month.
Just filed my taxes. THANKS TAXPAYERS FOR FILLING SCROOGE MCAHRN'S SWIMMING POOL FULL OF MONEY
How is it? Small? I'm not looking at new cars for another two or so years but would consider electric/hybrid but many have been small.

I'm 6'3" so I have to consider some room.
It is astonishingly huge on the inside. I also am 6'3". I have more headroom in the Leaf than I do in most full size sedans. because of the way the battery pack is situated the rear seats sit a little higher so the headroom is not as generous in the back seat.

front seats:

41.2 inch headroom

42.1 inch legroom

for comparison, here's a list of other cars touted as "Top 10 Sedans With the Most Front-Passenger Room for 2012"

you mean an electric car other than a tesla?
Don't those cost six figures? I try not to sink more than 25-30k I to a car since I tend to burn through them in 5-7 years max. I'd spend more if the savings in gas paid a good portion of the difference just because I want to help get us the F out of the middle east for good, but not to the tune of 100k+

http://www.plugshare.com/
There are a couple at a mall a few miles from my office, but that doesn't do me much good. The only way this is viable for me is if they can get the range up to 200+ miles on a charge and I can do so in my garage. Even then, I have the occasional trip to Lauderdale/Sarasota/Miami/J'Ville to consider.
Look at the 2017 Leaf when more details come into focus. They've put a bullseye on ~$35k and 200+ miles per charge.

I'm in the market for a car and electric sounds perfect for me. 15 mile round trip commute, most of my routine trips are less than 20 miles, and the family has 2 other cars for longer trips.

The 2016 Volt sounds extremely intriguing and I really like the new design. Anyone have thoughts or solid info on this car?

Damn girl you're a Prius because you are giving me no indications or sounds that you are turned on right now.

http://www.plugshare.com/
There are a couple at a mall a few miles from my office, but that doesn't do me much good. The only way this is viable for me is if they can get the range up to 200+ miles on a charge and I can do so in my garage. Even then, I have the occasional trip to Lauderdale/Sarasota/Miami/J'Ville to consider.
Look at the 2017 Leaf when more details come into focus. They've put a bullseye on ~$35k and 200+ miles per charge.
Still holding out hope for this. I want the US to end its reliance on foreign oil SO badly and would love to contribute to the effort to do so.

Sorry, still too pricey. They need to drop it down to 16-20K range before I even think about it.

If these things are ever going to be adopted on a large scale then they need to make it so the Average American Family[SIZE=11.6667px]tm[/SIZE] can afford these things.

Sorry, still too pricey. They need to drop it down to 16-20K range before I even think about it.

If these things are ever going to be adopted on a large scale then they need to make it so the Average American Family[SIZE=11.6667px]tm[/SIZE] can afford these things.
Fuel savings make up for it in California, but I can understand the reluctance in places where gas is $2 a gallon.

I paid $27 to fill my empty 15 gallon tank with 89 octane at a Wawa in Chesapeake, VA a couple days ago. Not that I think it has anything to do with electric cars yet, but fuel prices are going to come down as electric ramps up. They are not going to go quietly. And frankly, I'm surprised there haven't been any attempts on Musk's life between big oil, big rocket, and big auto.

Fuel savings make up for it in California, but I can understand the reluctance in places where gas is $2 a gallon.
True. The cheap fuel makes it harder, but even saying that, what you save in fuel you get socked for in battery replacement in 5 years.

And isn't the environmental footprint in making/disposing of those batteries terrible anyways?

True. The cheap fuel makes it harder, but even saying that, what you save in fuel you get socked for in battery replacement in 5 years.

And isn't the environmental footprint in making/disposing of those batteries terrible anyways?
Which is more than made up for by the savings in maintenance costs like oil changes, transmission flush, etc.

If these things are ever going to be adopted on a large scale then they need to make it so the Average American Familytm can afford these things.

Yes it is, but in the entire life cycle they're probably better all tolled. You should also remember that maintance on an electric car is significantly easier. No oil changes, less moving parts, and greater efficiency.

In the wake of more-rapid-than-expected battery capacity losses in Leafs in hot weather, Nissan now guarantees that the Leaf battery will retain at least 70 percent capacity after five years and/or 60,000 miles.
That's a good move but you still have to consider putting aside at least $500 a year to pay for a new battery at some point (the Leaf battery currently costs $5,500).

The issues with batteries is the reason I'm in favor of hydrogen fuel cell vehicles along with electric ones. Fuel cells have a much higher energy density, which makes them better suited for larger vehicles. Batteries for a large SUV would be extremely heavy and expensive, that's why we aren't seeing large electric vehicles. Companies are now targeting a 500 mile range for fuel cell vehicles. Electric is great for small vehicles but hydrogen provides a great alternative for people who want bigger vehicles without the need to recharge batteries for long trips.

Hydrogen still requires a significant investment in infrastructure. Electric is already everywhere. We just need to finally make some breakthroughs in battery tech. That would be huge for multiple industries.

Pure electrics may not be taking over but plug in hybrids are starting to make a huge push. Bmw, vw, Mercedes, Chrysler all have multiple versions of cars with a small 80-100hp engine and electric out soon. (Volvo may already have one?) The engine serves only to charge the battery.

Pure electrics may not be taking over but plug in hybrids are starting to make a huge push. Bmw, vw, Mercedes, Chrysler all have multiple versions of cars with a small 80-100hp engine and electric out soon. (Volvo may already have one?) The engine serves only to charge the battery.
So when does the gas engine kick in? I wouldn't want it running all the time b/c then you're essentially just running on gas. What kind of pure battery range and what mpg of the gas engine?

So when does the gas engine kick in? I wouldn't want it running all the time b/c then you're essentially just running on gas. What kind of pure battery range and what mpg of the gas engine?
You plug it in at night/at work. Different models will be different. And you can set the mode for range if you anticipate a long trip as well as leave the motor running if in a spot where you can't charge it. Effective mpg on a full tank is still in the 100-160mpg range.

Users who are viewing this thread