What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG 2014 "How did I do" Thread (1 Viewer)

ffrookie

Footballguy
Now that the 2014 drafts have started, it makes sense to get this thread rolling for 2014.

This thread is to post your teams and to receive feedback if desired.

Enjoy and good luck!

Thought I would do a real early one to see where values might be. Drafted from the 7 whole.

QB: Romo (10), Palmer (14)

RB: Doug Martin (3), T Rich (5), Pierce (7), Miller (8), Sims (13), McKinnon (16)

WR: Dez (1), Antonio Brown (2), Emmanuel Sanders (6), Jennings (11), Hawkins (12), Landry (17)

TE: Olsen (4), Walker (9), Garrett Graham (15), Ausberry (20)

K: Dawson (18)

D: CHI (19)

Took a bunch of changes considering the draft was well before training camp and hoping for the best.

Thought I would do a real early one to see where values might be. Drafted from the 7 whole.

RB: Doug Martin (3), T Rich (5), Pierce (7), Miller (8), Sims (13), McKinnon (16)

WR: Dez (1), Antonio Brown (2), Emmanuel Sanders (6), Jennings (11), Hawkins (12), Landry (17)

Took a bunch of changes considering the draft was well before training camp and hoping for the best.
T Rich could make or break your RB's. If Romo stays healthy your good at QB. WR's are the strength for sure,very nice depth.

Graham could be a nice catch,your TE's look solid.

Overall nice team in this format,Romo's health and T Rich's production will be key for you,IMOP

Martin is also a huge risk as a 3rd round pick. Am suprised a better RB wasn't available there. Counting on both Martin and T Rich to perform to a good level is asking a lot.

I agree that my RBs are the riskiest part of the team. I think Miller actually wins the job in MIA which should help but obviously I have a few risks. In the 3rd, I felt pretty confident in grabbing Martin

I like your team and you are probably a bit more balanced then my team. Hopefully Eifert takes the next step to help you out at TE but I am very high on Olsen (I wouldn't be shocked if he is only behind Graham at TE in this format). I agree maybe a bit much with the RBs but at least youll get to see if a player like Wilson is cleared and if so he might have some good value.

I draft from the 6 spot tomorrow so I would be interested in seeing a few of these posted.Figure I will end up with Calvin or Graham with the 1st.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the draft I was in it went McCoy- Charles- Forte- Graham- Calvin- AP. Saw another one which went McCoy- Graham- Charles- Calvin- Foster - Forte. So you may have a choice of Graham or Calvin but seems unlikely either would fall to you.

Aunt Jemima said:
Am assuming it was Bell that fell to you in the 3rd. Nice value. (Even better value if it was Nelson.) Pretty good team. No obvious weaknesses with a lot of upside possibilities.

To be quite honest, not a fan of this team. I think you'll struggle at RB for sure, your QB's are decent, nothing special and the TE's are weak. Why are u drafting Olsen in rd 4? That screams of a panic reach. Should have passed on a TE there if he was the best available. Even with the 1.5 scoring, he's no better then a 6th/7th rd pick in my eyes. His ceiling just isn't that high. Even Walker in the 9th seems high to me, the guy caught 60 passes for 6 scores. Your WR depth after the top 2 is also questionable. Sanders to me is still on the WR3/WR4 radar. With Julius Thomas/Welker/Demaryius and even Latimer, I can foresee a whole lot of 3 for 29 yd type games. He'll have his moments as will every Denver WR, but again, this is a reach IMO.

You'll need both Dougie Fresh and T-Rich to be the forces they were a couple yrs ago to have any chance.

C-

Aunt Jemima said:
Now this is a potent squad. Assuming Allen/Fitz fell to rd 5? That's nuts. Really strong everywhere outside of the TE's. They are OK. I think of Eifert/Cook, 1 should be at least serviceable. Don't love Olsen as stated above, but he's not a terrible option. Although if he was my #1 TE, I would have liked to pair him up with a better #2 TE. RB's are silly good. That Jeremy Hill pick could be gold. WR's look deeeeeep. Also like Kapernick over Cam this yr.

Overall, I'm a fan, well done.

B+

yes had 1st pick, Allen/Fitz were 4.12 and 5.1. I actually took Kaepernick in 8 as my starter and backed up with Newton in 10 since he was still there. TE's went early, hoping at least one is serviceable

I hate drafting 1 or 12 in these since there is so much potential to get screwed by a big run

yes had 1st pick, Allen/Fitz were 4.12 and 5.1. I actually took Kaepernick in 8 as my starter and backed up with Newton in 10 since he was still there. TE's went early, hoping at least one is serviceable

I hate drafting 1 or 12 in these since there is so much potential to get screwed by a big run
You probably couldn't script a better first 5 picks though. You should be happy you got the 1st pick in this draft at least. Allen/Fitz at 4.12/5.1 in a PPR? That's mind boggling. Even Bell/Nelson at the 2/3 elbow is awesome value. Just hope for no injuries in the next 2 months and you're good. This is easily a playoff team.

drafted from the 9 spot.. My Thoughts: not much to say about Bryant and Lynch they should be solid all year..

Gerhart was very early at 3.09 but if you flipped him with Floyd I doubt anyone would think twice about that.. I like the volume Gerhart will get, plus wanted a solid rb 2, ended up with a few options with Sankey and the rbs i got in the teens if one of them pops.

Love floyd at 5.09, wanted Wright at 6.04 but ended up with Jackson.. wright went 6.03

Ryan was the 8th qb taken. I wanted to wait on TE but was afraid if I waited any longer I'd be stuck with alot of bad weeks there... added rivera and gates and hope one of them can also be solid.. Also Boldin and Hopkins and woods really like when i got them

Overall I think my team is pretty good, and if any of those rbs hit later on I think it can be really good..

Your thoughts?

1.09 Dez Bryant WR

2.04 Marshawn Lynch RB

3.09 Toby Gerhart RB

4.04 Bishop Sankey RB

5.09 Michael Floyd WR

6.04 Desean Jackson WR

7.09 Matt Ryan QB BYE WEEK 9

8.04 Charles Clay TE (Early but 11 TE off the board)

9.09 Terrance West RB

10.04 Anquan Boldin WR

11.09 Antonio Gates TE

12.04 DeAndre Hopkins WR

13.09 CJ Anderson RB

14.04 David Wilson RB

15.09 Latavius Murray RB

16.04 Chris Polk RB

17.09 Mychal Rivera TE

18.04 Robert Woods WR

19.09 Steelers Defense

Like your running backs a lot but don't like your wide receivers (too boom/bust for me after your WR1). Other positions you are decent. Id say as long as Sankey or West hit you have a decent shot at a playoff spot.

Aunt Jemima said:
Players sliding like crazy, off top of your head who were some of the shocking picks in round 1-2 /3-4

Gronkowski and Spiller in rd 2, jordan cameron 4.2, cord patterson 4.4, e sanders 4.5, DJax 4.6, Rashad Jennings 4.7

nothing terrible just more than I like them

Well I probably would have been better off just throwing my money in the street,but I love abuse so oh well.

from the 6 spot.

Drew Brees

P.Rivers

Lynch

Morris

Woodhead

Blount

Starks

Tolbert

Decker

Cooper

Boldin

Nicks

Woods

D.Moore

J. Graham

Witten

Clay

Gost

Hauschka

Steelers

My only saving grace is there are quite a few teams that look as bad as mine so maybe with a lot of luck....

rustycolts said:
Well I probably would have been better off just throwing my money in the street,but I love abuse so oh well.

from the 6 spot.

Drew Brees

P.Rivers

Lynch

Morris

Woodhead

Blount

Starks

Tolbert

Decker

Cooper

Boldin

Nicks

Woods

D.Moore

J. Graham

Witten

Clay

Gost

Hauschka

Steelers

My only saving grace is there are quite a few teams that look as bad as mine so maybe with a lot of luck....
It's not as bad as you think. Is it a great team? No. But I can see this at least being average to slightly above depending on your waiver additions.

You're solid everywhere outside of WR. RB's are decent, I'd be scared after those top 3 though. TE's are as good as you can hope for. Top 3 QB, nothing to see there. But boy that WR crew is horrific. You will likely be using Woodhead/Witten as your flexes. So when you don't even have a 3rd WR as your flex, its probably not a good thing. The plus is, you can find WR help on the wire and you will need to be doing that asap.

But as a Graham owner last year, he makes up for a lot of deficiencies. Lynch/Witten are your X-Factors, if they're great this year, this team is very capable of a playoff run. If not, this squad is in for a long season.

Did a couple drafts this weekend.

From the 2 hole:

Rodgers(3)

Charles(1)/Gerhart(5)/Ingram(12)/Bradshaw(13)/Starks(14)/Greene(15)/Hillman(16)

Fitzgerald(4)/Hilton(6)/Wright(7)/Hopkins(10)/Hartline(11)/Gordon(17)

Gronk(2)/Bennett(8)/Clay(9)/M. Lewis(18)

Pit(19)

Gould(20)

I wasn't planning on going Rodgers at 3, but thought my best alternative was Andre Johnson and went Rodgers at the last minute. If I knew exactly how late some of the QBs were going to go, I probably would have gone a different direction but like only having to use 1 roster spot other than bye/injury.

Would like to have the Hartline pick back, probably worth it in terms of end-of-year scoring but not a lot of upside. Other than that relatively happy with this one.

From the 1 hole:

Brady(9)/Kaepernick(11)

Charles(1)/Lamar Miller(6)/MJD(8)/C.Sims(14)/Starks(15)/McKinnon(16)/Taliaferro(17)

Nelson(2)/Wright(7)/Shorts(10)/Boldin(12)/Stills(13)/Gordon(18)

Gronk(3)/Witten(4)/Olsen(5)

Pit(19)

Bryant(20)

I have had pretty good results with the 3 early TE strategy in prior years, and I thought Witten and Olsen were the highest scoring non-qbs left. The upshot is that since I and another guy took 3 early TEs (Cameron(3)/Reed(5)/Davis(6)), there ended up being 14 TEs off the board by 7.9 and 17 TEs off the board by 8.10. That pushed some nice value down that otherwise wouldn't have been there.

Assuming I am rolling 3 TEs every non-bye week so think I can do do well at RB2 and WR2 with a committee approach.

From the 2 hole:

Rodgers(3)

Pit(19)

Gould(20)

I wasn't planning on going Rodgers at 3, but thought my best alternative was Andre Johnson and went Rodgers at the last minute. If I knew exactly how late some of the QBs were going to go, I probably would have gone a different direction but like only having to use 1 roster spot other than bye/injury.

Would like to have the Hartline pick back, probably worth it in terms of end-of-year scoring but not a lot of upside. Other than that relatively happy with this one.

From the 1 hole:

Brady(9)/Kaepernick(11)

Charles(1)/Lamar Miller(6)/MJD(8)/C.Sims(14)/Starks(15)/McKinnon(16)/Taliaferro(17)

Pit(19)

Bryant(20)

I have had pretty good results with the 3 early TE strategy in prior years, and I thought Witten and Olsen were the highest scoring non-qbs left. The upshot is that since I and another guy took 3 early TEs (Cameron(3)/Reed(5)/Davis(6)), there ended up being 14 TEs off the board by 7.9 and 17 TEs off the board by 8.10. That pushed some nice value down that otherwise wouldn't have been there.

Assuming I am rolling 3 TEs every non-bye week so think I can do do well at RB2 and WR2 with a committee approach.
Kendall in 7th twice?? I don't care how Locker is, no way he should fall that far

From the 2 hole:

Rodgers(3)

Pit(19)

Gould(20)

From the 1 hole:

Brady(9)/Kaepernick(11)

Pit(19)

Bryant(20)

Both teams have a similar feel to me. I'm not overly optimistic about either but they seem at the very least to be competitive teams.

Team 1 - Don't love the Rodgers pick. Sure he's a top-3 QB but 4 pt passing td's, just don't love taking my QB this early. Of course I'm talking a typical Rodgers yr here, not a 2013 Peyton Manning. Andre J was the best WR available at 3.2? Any rb's there to pair with Charles? Looks like u made out with Gerhart lasting till 5.1, that's great value. After him though, your rb depth is very questionable. Your WR core also is less then desirable. But picking at the top, your chances at 1 of those elite WR's in the 2nd are slim. I don't know I'd still prefer to have a Cobb/Jeffery/Nelson type then have Fitz as my #2 and Wright my #3, take the QB later.. TE's are solid, Gronk obviously your X factor here. Looks like you're putting a lot of eggs in the Gronk basket...Im surprised he's even going in the 2nd in drafts at the moment..

Team 2 - Obviously banking on that TE production. I like this team better though. More balanced, the RB depth is the obvious concern. Any better backs available over that Olsen pick?? Miller/MJD both risky/sub-par options. And Kapernick in rd 11 is silly value. Not bad but I hink you'll be looking for rb's all year with this squad..

Team 1 - C+

Team 2 - B- (I had a similar rb-depleted team last year and it was frustrating to say the least - could be a Charles injury away from disaster)

From the 2 hole:

Rodgers(3)

Pit(19)

Gould(20)

From the 1 hole:

Brady(9)/Kaepernick(11)

Pit(19)

Bryant(20)

Both teams have a similar feel to me. I'm not overly optimistic about either but they seem at the very least to be competitive teams.

Team 1 - Don't love the Rodgers pick. Sure he's a top-3 QB but 4 pt passing td's, just don't love taking my QB this early. Of course I'm talking a typical Rodgers yr here, not a 2013 Peyton Manning. Andre J was the best WR available at 3.2? Any rb's there to pair with Charles? Looks like u made out with Gerhart lasting till 5.1, that's great value. After him though, your rb depth is very questionable. Your WR core also is less then desirable. But picking at the top, your chances at 1 of those elite WR's in the 2nd are slim. I don't know I'd still prefer to have a Cobb/Jeffery/Nelson type then have Fitz as my #2 and Wright my #3, take the QB later.. TE's are solid, Gronk obviously your X factor here. Looks like you're putting a lot of eggs in the Gronk basket...Im surprised he's even going in the 2nd in drafts at the moment..

Team 2 - Obviously banking on that TE production. I like this team better though. More balanced, the RB depth is the obvious concern. Any better backs available over that Olsen pick?? Miller/MJD both risky/sub-par options. And Kapernick in rd 11 is silly value. Not bad but I hink you'll be looking for rb's all year with this squad..

Team 1 - C+

Team 2 - B- (I had a similar rb-depleted team last year and it was frustrating to say the least - could be a Charles injury away from disaster)
Thanks for the feedback, I think we have some differences in preferred team construction but the input is helpful.

Nelson and Alshon were definitely off the board before Gronk in the 1st draft, I think Cobb/Lynch was the 24/25 turn. I would just prefer Rodgers over the likes of Andre Ellington and similar RBs. That said, probably should have gone AJ.

In the second draft, there probably were "better" backs available at least when compared to Lamar Miller/MJD, I think Matthews was available for example. And while Matthews is likely a solid option, I just don't see significant upside with him and think Olsen will outscore him in this format. My preferred team construction is to slough off my RB2 spot given the price you need to pay for a guy that has a high bust chance, definitely understand that it gives significant downside though.

Yeah, a lot in on Charles and Gronk. Gronk is easily a top 10 play week in and week out if healthy, so willing to take the gamble at the end of the 2nd once the "elite" WRs come off the board. Given I drafted him in both leagues, I should probably check to see where he is going in other leagues that I am not in :) .

Yea myself, I would have taken a chance on a rb/wr with higher upside over Olsen in the 5th. You say Matthews doesn't have that upside, which i agree with, but neither does Olsen. His last 2 yrs are virtually identical, averaging 71 rec / 830 yds and 5-6 td's. On a team where he was the 1st/2nd passing option? I know the 1.5 PPR makes those #'s look a lot better but still, paying a 5th rd price tag for that production who is essentially locked into your 2nd flex, not an ideal pick for me . I would have slept on TE after Gronk/Witten, grabbed a TE3 later on with some upside.

That 1st draft, I would have taken Ellington easily over Rodgers. He caught 39 passes in a limited role last year. His floor is probably low-end RB2. Heck, he was that last year even. His ceiling though is massive. Sub in Ellington and add any of those QB's taken in rd's 8+, that would have made your squad more formidable IMO.

I couldn't disagree more with Gildz on Olsen but that's what makes fantasy football fun. I would rate Olsen third behind Graham and Julius Thomas. I'm expecting 80-85 receptions with 8 touchdowns this year based on the pecking order in Carolina and his rapport with Cam. Gronk is far too rich for me in the second round but hey if you want a guy for four games or whatever he ends up playing, all the best. I also love Sanders after round 5. Thomas will take all of the attention in Denver and Welker is on his last legs IMO. Of course, we will see what happens as I tend to take risks which sometimes pay off (grabbing Antonio Brown everywhere last year) and sometimes don't (Shorts was a bad pick last year).

I couldn't disagree more with Gildz on Olsen but that's what makes fantasy football fun. I would rate Olsen third behind Graham and Julius Thomas. I'm expecting 80-85 receptions with 8 touchdowns this year based on the pecking order in Carolina and his rapport with Cam. Gronk is far too rich for me in the second round but hey if you want a guy for four games or whatever he ends up playing, all the best. I also love Sanders after round 5. Thomas will take all of the attention in Denver and Welker is on his last legs IMO. Of course, we will see what happens as I tend to take risks which sometimes pay off (grabbing Antonio Brown everywhere last year) and sometimes don't (Shorts was a bad pick last year).
He was this guy the last 2 yrs. Led the team in rec's and was Cam's 'go-to' guy if you will. Yet his #'s were nothing special. Newton will limit the upside of anyone he's throwing too. He's far to inconsistent, barely sniffing 60% comp percentage. We've been waiting for Olsen's 'breakout' season for 7 years now. He isn't a star TE. He's serviceable, but really, he's nothing special. Maybe in a different situation with a prime passer, he could be something more. But you have him rated 3rd? wow. He barely cracks my top 8. Graham/Gronk/Thomas/Witten/Davis/Reed/Cameron all are guys I'd for sure take over him.

Olsen isn't a risk in the 5th, its just a poor pick IMO. There has to be better upside picks in that spot then a 70 catch/5-6 td guy who is locked into your 2nd flex

Da Gildz said:
Yea myself, I would have taken a chance on a rb/wr with higher upside over Olsen in the 5th. You say Matthews doesn't have that upside, which i agree with, but neither does Olsen. His last 2 yrs are virtually identical, averaging 71 rec / 830 yds and 5-6 td's. On a team where he was the 1st/2nd passing option? I know the 1.5 PPR makes those #'s look a lot better but still, paying a 5th rd price tag for that production who is essentially locked into your 2nd flex, not an ideal pick for me . I would have slept on TE after Gronk/Witten, grabbed a TE3 later on with some upside.

That 1st draft, I would have taken Ellington easily over Rodgers. He caught 39 passes in a limited role last year. His floor is probably low-end RB2. Heck, he was that last year even. His ceiling though is massive. Sub in Ellington and add any of those QB's taken in rd's 8+, that would have made your squad more formidable IMO.
Let's say he hits those exact averages this year, that # of fantasy points would have been good for WR19 or RB14 last year. Additionally, last year Olsen outscored Matthews despite his 285 carries and prior to signing Donald Brown. I guess we are looking at that same set of facts and coming to very different conclusions.

ETA: 285 carries was the 4th highest last year, and Matthews still couldn't outproduce Olsen

Well I agreed that Matthews is a very low-ceiling/low upside guy. I wouldn't have taken him over Olsen though, I would have found another player. I owned Matthews last yr. He was a pretty underwhelming option and barely found his way into my lineup. Also, im just not a fan of drafting a 3rd TE knowing full well he's locked into my flex. With no trading allowed, that plays a role here. You could very easily be sitting Olsen some weeks in favor of another WR for example. So to me, drafting a guy in the 5th rd who at best is your 2nd flex option just limits your flexibility. Just different philosophies I suppose. There had to be a high upside RB/WR in rd 5 to take there. Thats where I would have gone. Guys like Patterson/Floyd/Rashad Jennings, doubtful he was there/Sankey/Vereen. I'm assuming Cameron was off the board also right?

Looking to do 1 of my 3 drafts possibly, im curious where Patterson went? Now would be a good time to get some value on him, I think at least...

Well I agreed that Matthews is a very low-ceiling/low upside guy. I wouldn't have taken him over Olsen though, I would have found another player. I owned Matthews last yr. He was a pretty underwhelming option and barely found his way into my lineup. Also, im just not a fan of drafting a 3rd TE knowing full well he's locked into my flex. With no trading allowed, that plays a role here. You could very easily be sitting Olsen some weeks in favor of another WR for example. So to me, drafting a guy in the 5th rd who at best is your 2nd flex option just limits your flexibility. Just different philosophies I suppose. There had to be a high upside RB/WR in rd 5 to take there. Thats where I would have gone. Guys like Patterson/Floyd/Rashad Jennings, doubtful he was there/Sankey/Vereen. I'm assuming Cameron was off the board also right?

Looking to do 1 of my 3 drafts possibly, im curious where Patterson went? Now would be a good time to get some value on him, I think at least...
Of the guys you mentioned, Jennings, Sankey and Floyd were still on the board. I considered Floyd, but utimately decided WR was deep enough and didn't see that much of a drop off.

Patterson has gone 6.5 and 4.10 in the two I have been in.

I have done a few drafts so far in my quest for back to back. Figured I would post the very first draft and see what you guys think.

Foles/E Manning

Peterson/Vereen/Rice/T Richardson/L Miller/L. Dunbar/S. Taylor

Cobb/Cruz/Colston/Dobson/Benjamin/Mathews

Clay/Graham/Finley

Let me know what you guys think..

I have done a few drafts so far in my quest for back to back. Figured I would post the very first draft and see what you guys think.

Foles/E Manning

Peterson/Vereen/Rice/T Richardson/L Miller/L. Dunbar/S. Taylor

Cobb/Cruz/Colston/Dobson/Benjamin/Mathews

Clay/Graham/Finley

Let me know what you guys think..
First off, Congrats! How far back were you entering the Championship rds? Weren't you like 300th+ ? That's insane

This squad looks pretty nice, I love your rb depth. Of Rice/TRich/Miller, one of those 3 will be a solid option at the least. WR core while not spectacular, its a serviceable unit.

TE's are on the weaker side. I'm guessing the TE position wasn't a concern in this draft ? Or u missed the boat on most of them?

Overall, seems like a solid team.

How many teams u putting in this thing after the big win last yr ?

Thanks man...

I think I was around 350 to 400 but that was only 17 points from the leader I think.. That really isn't a very big difference to make up. Some of that was self induced as well though. That team scored over 190 for 7 at the end besides week 11 and 16. Week 11 I threw completely and that hurt my average but I wanted the matchup I got the first week of the playoffs. The 1 seed had his 2 best players on bye that week and I saw it as a much easier matchup in a week that had money on the line. So I started players on bye to ensure I scored low enough to drop in seeding.

TE's went very early and often and it wasn't a concern for me with the talent and team construction I got elsewhere. TE's have been going way too early for me this year so I think I will be weaker at TE in alot of these this year.. Just too much talent falling to not capitalize, I cannot draft a subpar TE early just to have one... Shoot Clay outscored most of the TEs going before him anyway, I think he will be serviceable again this year.

Overall I will have probably 18 again this year. I think that is a good number to manage with all my other league too. I had 12 of 18 in the big money bracket last year and will hope for about the same this year. Out of those 6 four of them were leagues that I drafted Gronk in the 3rd and he just killed me.

Thanks man...

I think I was around 350 to 400 but that was only 17 points from the leader I think.. That really isn't a very big difference to make up. Some of that was self induced as well though. That team scored over 190 for 7 at the end besides week 11 and 16. Week 11 I threw completely and that hurt my average but I wanted the matchup I got the first week of the playoffs. The 1 seed had his 2 best players on bye that week and I saw it as a much easier matchup in a week that had money on the line. So I started players on bye to ensure I scored low enough to drop in seeding.

TE's went very early and often and it wasn't a concern for me with the talent and team construction I got elsewhere. TE's have been going way too early for me this year so I think I will be weaker at TE in alot of these this year.. Just too much talent falling to not capitalize, I cannot draft a subpar TE early just to have one... Shoot Clay outscored most of the TEs going before him anyway, I think he will be serviceable again this year.

Overall I will have probably 18 again this year. I think that is a good number to manage with all my other league too. I had 12 of 18 in the big money bracket last year and will hope for about the same this year. Out of those 6 four of them were leagues that I drafted Gronk in the 3rd and he just killed me.
Wow. So you dropped to the 4 seed to face him? Did you give up your automatic bid (2 seed) to the Champ rds by doing this?? Obviously, it didn't matter since u won that league but am I wrong in thinking that? If so that move was ballsy/genius. Did u own this team on your own also or do u work with a partner(s)?

Agree on that TE philosophy, owners tend to over-inflate their value with this 1.5 PPR. Having said that, I'd still take Graham in the 1st in every draft im not a top 3 pick in , but after that, I'd wait for some value on them. Seems to be a real deep class also this year.

What are your thoughts on drafting so early? The potential of injuries in the preseason doesn't deter you at all? I do think u can get great value on guys right now, so its a catch 22.

Yeah I think I only scored 80 points that week. It was really close between me and anohter guy for the 2 spot. I think going into that final week he was leading me by 18 points. We were the two highest scoring teams by about 50 going into week 11 but the top seed was undefeated and had secured the 1 seed. After weighing my options I decided to go the ballsy route and take a chance by dropping to the 4 seed.

I like to draft about 6 to 9 early becuase I truely believe that you can find some really good value. The only issue with drafting really early is its almost all sharks in these leagues. Anyone drafting this early usually has their crap together compared to some late in the year drafts where rookies get in. Injuries can happen at any time so I don't worry too much about that, its just part of the game I suppose.

I do partner up on some leagues. I actually was partnered up on 3 FBG Leagues with my best friend that I grew up with. We do 2 Dynasty Leagues together, a couple ME's, and usually about 3 FBG Leagues together. We are both military and have been for almost 18 years now and stationed at different ends of the country or out of the country for the better part of our careers. So we meet up in Vegas every year for a week long vacation, its actually really cool and we have been doing that for about 8 years together now. However I play alot more than he does hence the extra 15 FBG Leagues and the one that won the contest was just mine soley. We did win a league title together and cashed overall plus had a great Dynasty year so he won some good money too.

By the way I was reading the boards here last year you asked the question a number of times about me starting NE Defense that last week. Boy did that turn into a huge decision. I had Arizona in to start the day and both were 4 O'clock games. I had one other decision that was a 4 O'clock wait and see as well. I had to choose between D. Jackson and Jennings along with the Defense. All day I was telling my wife that I had a real gut feeling about NE Defense playing against Flacco who was hurt and has really limited mobility to start with. Plus we are from the North East and watch alot of the Pats. So when 4 O'Clock came and I was deciding what button to push I told the wife I really want to change to the Pats, my gut is telling me to. She looked at me and said go with your gut babe its very rarely wrong so I made the switch and watched in joy 3 hours later..

Awesome stuff there. How insane would it have been if u lost round 1 and then saw what your team 'would' have done in the champ rds, thankfully for you, u didn't have to experience that. I definitely respect that move though. To give up the automatic bid for a team that was scoring huge like that really takes some heart. I'm curious with all the other success u had last year, did that 1500 really matter all that much? Myself, I'm going for the automatic bid with a powerhouse team like u had. I just couldn't fathom losing in the 1st rd if I had that team and that chance...But hey, it worked out for you that's for sure.

And yes I was stunned and in disbelief when I saw u started NE defense. Over Zona to boot who was solid all yr. I just couldn't wrap my head around it haha. But u have to follow your gut over your head sometimes. Was that the difference also? I forget how much u won by in the end.

Glad to see u joined the forums here, look fwd to seeing some of your contributions.

Good luck this year, hopefully im not in 1 of those 18 leagues of yours.

Yes I WOULD OF LOST BY 1 POINT if I didn't make the Defense Switch. How horrible would it of been to watch Tony G score all those points in the last 2 minutes to lose out on 220K by 1 point..

You know out of my 12 teams I had this team ranked in the middle of them going into the playoffs. I had some really good teams that were stacked all the way through the lineup that I really thought had a legitimate chance of taking the tourney down. This team however was really awesome at the skilled positions but lacked a QB. I really didn't think I had a shot at the overall becuase of the points I would give up at QB, I think that really played into my decision to drop down to the 4 seed. I put up over 200 each week in the playoffs 12 and 13 I think though and outscored everyone both weeks so it was a mute point at the end. The funny thing is I started 3 different QBs during the shootout and averaged together I probably had a top 5 score out of them. McCown had that ridiculous Monday night game where he scored like 44 points, then abruptly went to the bench for Cutler. So I throw in Manuel who I picked up week 12 just for week 15s matchup (Jacksonville) and he puts up over 26 which was by far his best week of the year. Unfortunately he gets hurt and I am down to only E. Manning. He got me almost 16 and it was enough to take me home.. So over the 3 week period I was close to a 29 average for my QB Scoring per game. You have to get a little lucky to win a contest this size and I guess I did...

Thanks for the words and I will be active here this year on the boards.. I usually am at the FFPC boards..

I forgot to tell you that 2 years ago I was a 3 seed going into my playoffs and barely lost. I went on to score unbeliveable in the shootout and would of finished top 5. So I kinda know how it feels to just miss out and then see your team go off.

I also had finished 4th overall and 2nd overall in National Contests before and just missed out on that big money the last week. So it was very pleasing to finally finish off week 16 and finish on top..

Best of luck to you and look forward to chatting with you all this year.

Excellent stuff there Coots.

My first time putting a team in this event. Drafted from the 2 spot:

qb - m stafford(7), t bridgewater(15)

rb - l bell(2), a ellington(3), t gerhart(5), j hill(11), t mason(13), k carey(18)

wr - c patterson(4), m wallace(6), m evans(9), d hopkins(10), j hunter(12), h douglas(17), r woods(19), marlon brown(20)

te - j graham(1), l toilolo(14)

def - sea(8)

k - gostkowski(16)

Went a little early on sea def and was hoping for more depth at TE behind graham, but i just didnt feel the value was there everytime i picked. i think this team has an excellent amount of upside. I did'nt really realize how young of a roster it was until now haha

rb - l bell(2), a ellington(3), t gerhart(5), j hill(11), t mason(13), k carey(18)

wr - c patterson(4), m wallace(6), m evans(9), d hopkins(10), j hunter(12), h douglas(17), r woods(19), marlon brown(20)

def - sea(8)

k - gostkowski(16)

Went a little early on sea def and was hoping for more depth at TE behind graham, but i just didnt feel the value was there everytime i picked. i think this team has an excellent amount of upside. I did'nt really realize how young of a roster it was until now haha
Welcome to the FFPC. You"ll enjoy it. As for this squad, you have some holes here.

First off I love Graham but over Charles/McCoy? Not a fan. A pick later, I wouldn't mind it but I think those 2 backs are the elite of the elite. Bell is nice value at 2.11 and I also like Ellington but I would have passed on him at 3.2. What WR"s were there at that point? I really don't like waiting until end of rd 4 for my WR1 especially in this format. You're left with Patterson as your #1. He could be solid but he's really a WR3 on a good fantasy team. Your rb depth is great and that shouldn't be an issue at all. If there was trading allowed I'd like this team more.

Also nothing behind Graham was a mistake. As great as he is you need some insurance. At the very least, I'm drafting 3 TE's and maybe a 4th if the value is there. Drafting Seattle in the 8th is the major mistake here. There had to be a few 2nd tier TE's sitting there ripe for the taking.

Overall I think this squad could struggle. Need some surprises in that WR core and add the 1st decent TE that comes up on the wire. ASAP.

def - sea(8)

k - gostkowski(16)

Welcome to the FFPC. You"ll enjoy it. As for this squad, you have some holes here.

First off I love Graham but over Charles/McCoy? Not a fan. A pick later, I wouldn't mind it but I think those 2 backs are the elite of the elite. Bell is nice value at 2.11 and I also like Ellington but I would have passed on him at 3.2. What WR"s were there at that point? I really don't like waiting until end of rd 4 for my WR1 especially in this format. You're left with Patterson as your #1. He could be solid but he's really a WR3 on a good fantasy team. Your rb depth is great and that shouldn't be an issue at all. If there was trading allowed I'd like this team more.

Also nothing behind Graham was a mistake. As great as he is you need some insurance. At the very least, I'm drafting 3 TE's and maybe a 4th if the value is there. Drafting Seattle in the 8th is the major mistake here. There had to be a few 2nd tier TE's sitting there ripe for the taking.

Overall I think this squad could struggle. Need some surprises in that WR core and add the 1st decent TE that comes up on the wire. ASAP.
I agree with most of your points. The team certainly has a chance to struggle, but if ellington and patterson hit this year this team could be very good. As good as mccoy and charles are, rb turnover at the top from year to year is staggeringly high. No rb is a lock to have a great year.

My strategy was to look for as much upside as possible while still staying within reason. I feel you need to do that or you are destined for mediocrity in a large tourny like this. Save the safe picks for your standard 12 team leagues.

I agree i went early on sea def. I knew it when i made the pick. However, seattle is far and away ranked as the best def this year so i won't have to worry about streaming defenses and wasting $$ and time on that.

Just finished my 1st draft, would love to hear some thoughts:

QB: Cutler (11), Wilson (12)

RB: Bush (3), Sankey (4), Tate (7), Freeman (10), Sims (14) , Stepfan Taylor (17)

WR: Demaryius (1), Crabtree (5), D-Jax (6), Decker (8), Benjamin (15)

TE: Gronk (2), Ebron (9), Allen (13), Austin S-Jenkins (18)

D - NYG (16)

K - Crosby (19), Gould (20)

Overall pretty happy. The 1 pick I'd like back is Ebron. I was staring at Zach Ertz the rd before and thought he'd be there for me on the way back. Took Decker and Ertz sure enough goes the very next pick. Green also snatched up so i reached for Ebron. Allen in rd 13 could be the better TE even...Think this is a pretty strong all around, proven talent with some upside flyers mixed in.

Thoughts?

RB: Bush (3), Sankey (4), Tate (7), Freeman (10), Sims (14) , Stepfan Taylor (17)

D - NYG (16)

Overall pretty happy. The 1 pick I'd like back is Ebron. I was staring at Zach Ertz the rd before and thought he'd be there for me on the way back. Took Decker and Ertz sure enough goes the very next pick. Green also snatched up so i reached for Ebron. Allen in rd 13 could be the better TE even...Think this is a pretty strong all around, proven talent with some upside flyers mixed in.

Thoughts?
What draft slot?

Also..... You took gronk in the 2nd but gave someone else a hard time about it just a few days ago. Why the change of heart?

What Rbs were left when you took Thomas in the first?

Sorry, drafted out of the 7 hole. It was a weird spot. First 6 picks went chalk. Was hoping a Grahaml/Calvin would fall to me. I passed on Lacy. No other back was worthy of picking 7 I thought. Maybe a Ball but it was clearly D-Thomas for me.

You're correct, I had no intention of taking Gronk in the 2nd. Nor did I think it was good value. But the owner @ 2.1 took Julius Thomas and I feared this league would go silly after TE's once Gronk was drafted. I wanted at least 1 of Gronk/Witten/Julius if I didn't get Graham. Julio was picked right before me in the 2nd, I was praying he'd pass on him but knew he wouldn't. After Gronk, the league went on a RB run and I was sweating. So I was wrong about that TE run. 7 rb's went in between my 2/3 picks, barely was able to sniff Bush there. The rb's taken directly after that Bush pick were Pierre/T-Rich, that should give you a good indication how fast they were flying. Things just fell into place for me here. I love the Freeman pick in rd 10, think he's the main back in ATL at some point this season..

Whatcha think? You have a good eye for these drafts...

rmack27 said:

def - sea(8)

k - gostkowski(16)

Mack I agree that you are super young.. That usually doesn't turn out too well. Other than QB/TE you have risk everywhere, sometimes you need to throw in those steady veterans just to solidify things up a bit.

Now saying all that above your team is very hard to judge on how it will do. You have a Boom or Bust team here. If the stars align you could easily win your league but you could also finish dead last at the same time. This is a good type of team to have in an overall contest like this if you want to swing for the fences and try to win the whole thing.

Best of Luck to you and thank you for your kind words.

D - NYG (16)

Thoughts?
I think it is a really solid team. You will be in the top 4 for sure and then just have to take off from there. You need Gronk to be right to be an elite team though. I agree on Freeman but at about the time he may take over West might be doing the same for Tate. I still think the 7th round is good value for Tate.

These drafts are all so different. In that draft I posted above I got Trent Richardson at 7.7 and he goes in the 3rd in yours. I forgot to say my team was also from the 7 hole..

Sorry, drafted out of the 7 hole. It was a weird spot. First 6 picks went chalk. Was hoping a Grahaml/Calvin would fall to me. I passed on Lacy. No other back was worthy of picking 7 I thought. Maybe a Ball but it was clearly D-Thomas for me.

You're correct, I had no intention of taking Gronk in the 2nd. Nor did I think it was good value. But the owner @ 2.1 took Julius Thomas and I feared this league would go silly after TE's once Gronk was drafted. I wanted at least 1 of Gronk/Witten/Julius if I didn't get Graham. Julio was picked right before me in the 2nd, I was praying he'd pass on him but knew he wouldn't. After Gronk, the league went on a RB run and I was sweating. So I was wrong about that TE run. 7 rb's went in between my 2/3 picks, barely was able to sniff Bush there. The rb's taken directly after that Bush pick were Pierre/T-Rich, that should give you a good indication how fast they were flying. Things just fell into place for me here. I love the Freeman pick in rd 10, think he's the main back in ATL at some point this season..

Whatcha think? You have a good eye for these drafts...

D - NYG (16)

Thoughts?
The team is solid. I have the 7 pick in a draft next month so I know what you mean about it being a weird spot. Despite the crazy run on RBs you pulled good value. If Im waiting on a QB combo that is the combo I like. Im not a fan of the rookie TE's, but I don't know what was left at that point so they may have truly been the best option. If Gronk returns to Gronk you will be in the playoffs and anything can happen from there, if he plays 8 games then you may be in trouble.

D - NYG (16)

Thoughts?*--
I think it is a really solid team. You will be in the top 4 for sure and then just have to take off from there. You need Gronk to be right to be an elite team though. I agree on Freeman but at about the time he may take over West might be doing the same for Tate. I still think the 7th round is good value for Tate.

These drafts are all so different. In that draft I posted above I got Trent Richardson at 7.7 and he goes in the 3rd in yours. I forgot to say my team was also from the 7 hole..
Thanks agree with everything u said here. Tate was a ho-hum pick there, I was looking at the Sjax's, Gores, MJD's at that spot but figure Tate at least has some youth on his side. With Pettine at the helm, they are going to run the ball a ton. Especially if/when Johnny Football takes over. I think Tate/West will be a rbbc , both having decent value, or at least flex appeal. I had my sights set on Freeman, so I probably should have nabbed SJax over Tate to insure that ATL rb spot. Maybe that's faulty thinking though. Gronk like u said needs to be Gronk for this squad to be special.

Users who are viewing this thread