What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Strain -- New Show on FX Sunday nights (1 Viewer)

It was okay. Probably the only reason I will continue watching is because Under the Dome became beyond unwatchable and I have nothing else to watch over the summer.

Watched it tonight. I enjoyed it, even if it was cheesy at times but I enjoy the hell out of the Walking Dead so I'm probably dead on demo here. That said, time to start up the non-book reader thread.
I'm not going to spoil anything, and I've already unburdened my complaints about the changes to it.

I do recommend the book though.

you guys are more generous or patient than I was this morning. I had trouble getting through this episode. Felt like a bad CSI episode with cheesy soap opera acting. F/X usually puts out a better product than this.

I thought it was entertaining. I like that they appear to be explaining the origin of vampires and giving it a more realistic vibe. Agree though that the grim reaper character is a but dumb.
The whole press conference with the families/press was beyond bad. However, other than that it was certainly interesting enough to keep watching.

Finally watched it last night with the wife. Turrible.

But I'm going to give it another episode or two. :mellow:

thought tonight's episode was pretty good, definitely better than the first one. The jailhouse conversation between the old pawn shop guy and Waxy was well done.

thought tonight's episode was pretty good, definitely better than the first one. The jailhouse conversation between the old pawn shop guy and Waxy was well done.
Agreed, it was a solid episode, although I liked the first one as well. That conversation was really good. Definitely a good part of the story line.

So a shadowy conglomerate plans to unleash an unimaginably frightening vampire/Grim Reaper monster on Manhattan, only the entire plan hinges on some tattooed ne'er-do-well agreeing to drive and not screwing it up? This doesn't seem like the kind of thing you just outsource at the last minute.

What is with the health inspector guy with the rat in the restaurant?
Wasn't in the book. He's a main character though, and he doesn't show up for a while, so I guess they wanted to give him something to do in the episode. At least he can act decent.

Eph did a better job this episode I think.

So a shadowy conglomerate plans to unleash an unimaginably frightening vampire/Grim Reaper monster on Manhattan, only the entire plan hinges on some tattooed ne'er-do-well agreeing to drive and not screwing it up? This doesn't seem like the kind of thing you just outsource at the last minute.
I really doubt the show will cover it, so I'll just say it. In the book, and apparently in the show, vampires cannot cross moving bodies of water unless assisted by a human. So, they had to outsource it to someone

I really doubt the show will cover it, so I'll just say it. In the book, and apparently in the show, vampires cannot cross moving bodies of water unless assisted by a human. So, they had to outsource it to someone
They don't have someone in-house that can do it?

Ep 2 is abysmal. I gave it a shot. Maybe i'll check out the book.

They don't have someone in-house that can do it?

Ep 2 is abysmal. I gave it a shot. Maybe i'll check out the book.
Just read like the first 200 pages or so of the first book and then give it up.

I know only like 8 people are watching it, but Halt and Catch Fire's a really good show. No vampires or old dudes giving each other the "You think you can defeat me!?!?/I will destroy you" business ad nauseum, but good nonetheless.

I am half way through the first book and have been really enjoying it. I decided to give the pilot a watch thinking that I would not be spoiled. BIG MISTAKE. :kicksrock:

through EP2 as of this AM. not bad so far, but not great either. i'll give it a couple more weeks.

the Custody Battle arc is really, really, weak. i could live without it.

#nonbookreader

I know only like 8 people are watching it, but Halt and Catch Fire's a really good show. No vampires or old dudes giving each other the "You think you can defeat me!?!?/I will destroy you" business ad nauseum, but good nonetheless.
It's not saying much but HaCF is my favorite of the new summer shows so far.

I really want to like this much more than I do. I'm sure that #### is about the hit the fan soon, so I'll stick around a little longer.

It's not saying much but HaCF is my favorite of the new summer shows so far.
Really strong. Thankfully the budget is likely low and they might be able to eke out a second season, because the ratings are pretty low. Not enough vampires, obv.

So many little holes (and some not so little) and some ####ty acting (Goodweather needs to catch a virus) but the story has a chance so I'll stick with it.

9 foot long, 4 foot wide coffin. Couple three guys lay it down like it's nothing. Then they somehow stuff it in a 7 foot long van. Samwise is on the take and lets the guy leave the airport even after what he's seen. Bunch of people dead but we'll let the few survivors go because some whiny lawyer makes a phone call (which connects 1 second after she hit send) and a goth rocker has a gig to get to (but winds up at a club drinking).

So many little holes (and some not so little) and some ####ty acting (Goodweather needs to catch a virus) but the story has a chance so I'll stick with it.

9 foot long, 4 foot wide coffin. Couple three guys lay it down like it's nothing. Then they somehow stuff it in a 7 foot long van. Samwise is on the take and lets the guy leave the airport even after what he's seen. Bunch of people dead but we'll let the few survivors go because some whiny lawyer makes a phone call (which connects 1 second after she hit send) and a goth rocker has a gig to get to (but winds up at a club drinking).
Well, it seems this show about vampires isn't all that realistic.

Well, it seems this show about vampires isn't all that realistic.
They're still real to me dammit!

9 foot long, 4 foot wide coffin. Couple three guys lay it down like it's nothing. Then they somehow stuff it in a 7 foot long van.
Also, that same coffin filled with soil only weighs 500 pounds.

An airport employee gets his head crushed in the same area that a huge coffin was in and it doesnt appear to be a big deal to anyone. Doesnt even stop the four survivors from getting released.

Finally got through both episodes last night and it's a whole hell of a lot better than Under the Dome or even Dominion.... so I'll keep goin' with it.

Dickies said:
2nd episode was much better than the 1st. The prison discussion was top notch.
That old dude, as far as old dudes go, is pretty badass. And he's yet to even use that snake sword yet. :o

I'm liking it although I fast forward through any AA meetings/custody hearing or anything to do with the main guys family.

So, this is pile of ####, no?
Yes, but way better than Falling Skies or Under the Dome.
:goodposting:

More than good enough to keep me watching.

Also, while I understand Samwise looks like an idiot, you've got to think about this in terms of how you would think about this today in real life if a vampire invasion was happening. I sure as heck wouldn't think it was vampires because I don't believe they exist. If you think about it like that, then the decisions they are making make more sense.

I like it so far and even though I want to kick these guys in the head and tell them they are missing the boat completely, I understand that they aren't going to think vampires until, well, the ending scene last night. I think we are at the point where we have the "believers" now and they are going to keep fighting it and have lots of naysayers telling them they are crazy.

He handled the plop a lot better than I would have. He just shrugs and flushes. I think I might be freaking out a little.

stbugs said:
BustedKnuckles said:
Ummmm....wtf just happened in that bathroom....instant sex change?????
Yep. When I heard the plop, I new exactly what happened. We didn't really need to see the Ken doll.
Yeah I knew what it was too. Really could have skipped the whole Ken Doll thing. But the episode was named Gone Smooth. Interesting that they havent shown anything of the 4th survivor, the Lawyer that called the Secretary of HHS.

stbugs said:
BustedKnuckles said:
Ummmm....wtf just happened in that bathroom....instant sex change?????
Yep. When I heard the plop, I new exactly what happened. We didn't really need to see the Ken doll.
Yeah I knew what it was too. Really could have skipped the whole Ken Doll thing. But the episode was named Gone Smooth. Interesting that they havent shown anything of the 4th survivor, the Lawyer that called the Secretary of HHS.
Honestly, I don't know if they will explain it, but why keep the 4 alive? The others appear to be the same thing since the pilot appeared to be the same as the little girl. I guess I can see that maybe they wanted the four alive to assist with the Secretary of HHS, stop the CDC from holding them (lawyer), etc. and also alive to make sure that someone made it. It is possible that they might have decided to cremate the other bodies in a panic about a virus, but they don't seem to be different.

Also, the pilot and the other people who cam back seem to be mindless vampires compared to the old guy vamp running the show. I'm interested to know if there is anything actually different about them.

Users who are viewing this thread