What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (3 Viewers)

tdmills

Footballguy
[SIZE=14pt]Todd Gurley[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Birthday - August 3, 1994. He will just turn 21 for the 2015 NFL season[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Rivals 4 star recruit[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]2012: 222 attempts for 1,385 yards 6.2 17 TD, 16 rec for 117 yards 0 TD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]2013: 165 attempts for 989 yards 6.0 10 TD, 37 rec for 441 yards 6 TD[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Size - 6’1 195 out of HS, 6’1 218 in 2012, 6’1 232 in 2013. Gurley has a strong upper body, which allows him to throw defenders away, but what makes him elite is his huge lower body. It generates all of his power and makes it tough for would be tacklers to wrap him up all the way around his lower half.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Speed - Gurley has good speed for a player his size. I suspect his speed is 4.5 flat with a chance to be in the high 4.4's. He was a faster football player in 2012 vs 2013, but he put up significant weight during his time at Georgia and it’s slowing him down, especially his long speed. In 2011, he ran a 10.70 100 meter dash. His acceleration is good and I would say better than his speed.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Power – Uses his stiff arm well to not only distance himself from defenders or push them away, but also shoving defenders to the ground. Gurley is a very powerful runner than will punish a defender and makes defensive backs weary to come up in run support. Wears down defenses and gashes them late in games. His size and power is so great that defenders literally bounce off of him.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Elusiveness – Does a really good job of setting up defenders by using the “dead leg” to make decisive cuts. For such a big RB, he is good at getting skinny to sneak by defenders. Has a good jump cut near the LOS that gets him past defenders and quickly into cutback lanes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Vision – This is his biggest weakness so far,albeit a small one. He needs to become a more patient runner and wait for his blocks. At times, he is missing huge cutback lanes because he’s in too big of a hurry and doesn't allow for things to develop. Normally this happens when he is tired or he bounces outside too quickly. Overall, his vision is above average and he reads his blocks well most of the time. He has a nose for the end zone and finds a way to get in. Gurley does a good job of changing his running angle at the second level to move away from defenders to gain extra yardage.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Finishing runs – He isn’t afraid to sacrifice his body near the goal line and is determined to get into the end zone. He lowers his shoulder near the end of runs to blast into defenders to gain yardage. Gurley can make subtle cuts while taking on impact from defenders that allows him to gain yardage other running backs cannot. This is tough to do but speaks to his ability to keep his balance. However, I see many runs when he gets to the second level and goes down easier than he should due to his athletic ability. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Hands – Very smooth snagging the ball out of the air and should be a common occurrence at the next level.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Blocking – Gurley has the size and power to be a good pass protector. However, right now he doesn’t attack defenders as much as he should. Assignment wise, he’s been correct, but he just needs to improve his aggressiveness here.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Injuries – Gurley missed 3 games due to an ankle injury he suffered vs LSU and wasn’t 100% for the last 6 games he played in 2013. If you watched the 2nd half vs Florida(his 1st game back from the injury), Gurley was completely gas and looked like a shadow of his former self.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Overall- Todd Gurley is the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. He has a freakish size/speed combination but also has a great feel for the position. He is a determined runner with a nose for the end zone, but also has soft hands. If Gurley had 4.4 flat speed and no injury history he would be an almost perfect prospect. My only worry with Gurley is he gets too big, loses his explosiveness and the injuries pile up.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Round projection- 1st round NFL pick[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]Comparison- Ricky Williams and Larry Johnson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=14pt]FF – Todd Gurley is my current RB2 in dynasty leagues behind Lesean McCoy. Gurley is an unbelievable prospect that does everything good and is elite in areas as well. Do whatever you can to acquire him and enjoy the ride.[/SIZE]

Like the line in Airplane: "I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue".......

My line is: "I picked the wrong year to get the 1.1 rookie pick!" since I have the 1.1 this year.

I would love to have the 1.1 next year to get Gurley.......

Last edited by a moderator:
No hijacking intended just more of a realist on prospects. Some "cant miss" guys just miss... with that said I think Gurley will be very good-to-great

No hijacking intended just more of a realist on prospects. Some "cant miss" guys just miss... with that said I think Gurley will be very good-to-great
If you want to get technical, no player is can't miss.

Calvin had question marks

Ap had injury question marks

Etc

I hadn't given much thought to Gurley looking less explosive last year because of weight gain. It's possible but I attributed it more to him playing injured for most of the season. Without going back and watching all of his games again I'd say off the top of my head that he was extremely explosive in the Clemson game. I'd forecast him to run in the high 4.4 range. This kid has some wheels. At his size, that's insane.

Last edited by a moderator:
He reminds me of Andre Williams, with hands. A good player, but the hype is a bit much. Right now, I think I like Gordon, Yeldon and Williams more.

I foresee I a very short career. Best running back prospect I have seen since Adrian Peterson. But holy cow does he have a violent style. He is just a ridiculous prospect

Balco said:
I foresee I a very short career. Best running back prospect I have seen since Adrian Peterson. But holy cow does he have a violent style. He is just a ridiculous prospect
Maybe, many RBs are short lived anyway. However, we could have said the same thing about Peterson himself.

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs

Georgia junior RB Todd Gurley talked about rushing for 2,000 yards Thursday at the Southeastern Conference media days.

"If I could get 2,000 yards, that would be awesome," Gurley said. "If the Lord would bless me with that, oh my gosh. Thats going to be pretty hard to do in the SEC." At first blush, this idea sounds outlandish. After all, only 15 collegiate players have rushed for over 2,000 yards in a single season. However, the college football playoff means Gurley would play in 15 games if the Bulldogs make the championship game. Gurley led Georgia in rushing with 989 yards and 10 touchdowns despite missing three games last year. Keep in mind he must share carries with Keith Marshall.

Source: The Telegraph

Jul 18 - 12:27 AM

Balco said:
Maybe, many RBs are short lived anyway. However, we could have said the same thing about Peterson himself.
Many did.

I'm sure there is a thread about him, but Fournette is already garnering serious praise. He may give Gurley a run for his money as the top SEC back.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24624020/freshman-leonard-fournette-draws-lofty-comparisons-at-lsu?v=1&vc=3
Overrated. What happened to the last RB compared to Adrian Peterson: TJ Yeldon.

The RB to give Gurley a run for the top SEC back is already in college: Derrick Henry. Fournette isn't any better than Nick Chubb.

Balco said:
True.

tdmills said:
I'm sure there is a thread about him, but Fournette is already garnering serious praise. He may give Gurley a run for his money as the top SEC back.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/writer/dennis-dodd/24624020/freshman-leonard-fournette-draws-lofty-comparisons-at-lsu?v=1&vc=3
Fournette turns 20 this January. Meaning he was 18.75 years old his senior year.
Interesting. I didn't realize that. He was also tearing up HS football while in 8th grade which based on his age would be more equivalent to 9th grade.

Unfortunately I don't think he will be on mine. I'm not really looking to be in a position to draft him unless something crazy happens in my leagues. I've got contending teams that it doesn't make sense to sell the farm to get a top pick. The teams who land the top pick are going to be expecting a LOT in return for him.

I've said it in many of the other dynasty threads, but I suppose not this one. Gurley is a stud. Absolute stud with few weaknesses. I've seen this kid in person and his size is truly intimidating. Then, when you see him move on the field at that size and it's utterly frightening. His speed, explosiveness, smooth feet and short area quickness are unreal for a player his size. On top of it he runs with great vision, picking and choosing the places/times to use his burst and extra gear like a chess player. He initiates contact with on coming defenders (when he has too) about well as anyone I've seen in recent years. He runs with exceptional pad level and high knees to run thru contact and it's a major reason why he often needs to be gang tackled or carries defenders for extra yds. For a big man, he has an uncanny ability to get "small" thru creases and pick up tough yds in traffic. Perhaps best of all, he's a true 3 down back with excellent receiving ability. There is no reason this guy should come off the field unless his simply tired. People, say he could be a more creative runner and I suppose that's true. I think he's an efficient runner though and there is a difference between the 2.

I can't wait to see this guy in the NFL even though I'm probably not going to land him.

Unfortunately I don't think he will be on mine. I'm not really looking to be in a position to draft him unless something crazy happens in my leagues. I've got contending teams that it doesn't make sense to sell the farm to get a top pick. The teams who land the top pick are going to be expecting a LOT in return for him.
I'll be finished a rebuild in 1 league after 2015 so that's one reason I'll be sure to make sure I land him. My other league I'm a contender but I have a lot of depth to give up to keep my team young so I hope that it doesn't become a problem for me.

Jesus. 15 carries for about 200 yards, and 3 TD's. Oh, and a 100 yard KR TD.

Just another week in the life of Todd Gurley.

What a monster.

I think there's some preemptive push-back on Gurley as the next great RB prospect because Trent Richardson has been such a massive, overrated failure.

But honestly, did Trent ever put games like this together? Serious question.

I think there's some preemptive push-back on Gurley as the next great RB prospect because Trent Richardson has been such a massive, overrated failure.

He did (208/2 vs Florida, 213/4 vs Mississippi, 208/1 vs Auburn) but I don't think Gurley has anywhere near the line play that Richardson did.

He did (208/2 vs Florida, 213/4 vs Mississippi, 208/1 vs Auburn) but I don't think Gurley has anywhere near the line play that Richardson did.
Maybe he doesn't every game but some of those holes he was running through tonight were absolutely massive.

Richardson did well because his line was possibly the greatest line in the history of college football and even Stephen Hawking could run for at least 4.5 behind it.

Gurley is a future HOF running back. Get him at any cost. Any. Cost.

My rookie fever is off the charts and it's just August. I've collected three 1st for '15 already; I am going to draft this guy.

I can't get another 1st to save my life. My teams probably to good to be drafting #1 overall but i guess you never know. This would be the year to run bad and get the first pick with a good team though.

I love Gurley. But, does it concern anyone else that his strides look very long in the backfield? It doesn't change my opinion on him but it seems like it could cause some trouble.

I've said it in many of the other dynasty threads, but I suppose not this one. Gurley is a stud. Absolute stud with few weaknesses. I've seen this kid in person and his size is truly intimidating. Then, when you see him move on the field at that size and it's utterly frightening. His speed, explosiveness, smooth feet and short area quickness are unreal for a player his size. On top of it he runs with great vision, picking and choosing the places/times to use his burst and extra gear like a chess player. He initiates contact with on coming defenders (when he has too) about well as anyone I've seen in recent years. He runs with exceptional pad level and high knees to run thru contact and it's a major reason why he often needs to be gang tackled or carries defenders for extra yds. For a big man, he has an uncanny ability to get "small" thru creases and pick up tough yds in traffic. Perhaps best of all, he's a true 3 down back with excellent receiving ability. There is no reason this guy should come off the field unless his simply tired. People, say he could be a more creative runner and I suppose that's true. I think he's an efficient runner though and there is a difference between the 2.

I can't wait to see this guy in the NFL even though I'm probably not going to land him.
agreed J you have to have Stinker team and get 1.1 to get this guy. Not gonna lie he is amazing and looks to be every part of the NEXT AP maybe one of the greatest ever when all said and done. Out of my 9 dynasty teams all of them made the playoffs easily so 1.1 picks for me aren't in the books. I don't think I would even want to tank to get the 1.1 because of ethical reasons but also because to much to lose. 1.1, 1.2 picks are jackpots. I guess you could scour your leagues and offer up the team you think will get the 1.1 a super low offer now and hope he bites...

Richardson did well because his line was possibly the greatest line in the history of college football and even Stephen Hawking could run for at least 4.5 behind it.

Gurley is a future HOF running back. Get him at any cost. Any. Cost.
I have to say I agree with you.... I would be trying to trade for future firsts to upgrade your chances.. The farther along this process goes his price will get steeper and steeper. Get him on your team at any cost.

Users who are viewing this thread