What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (5 Viewers)

Just for fun, who do you pick if...

White goes to Chicago

Cooper to Atlanta

Gurley to San Diego

Gordon to Dallas

Parker to Indy
Gurley easy. What's wrong with the San Diego landing spot? Lot's of people seem to be pessimistic about that one I don't get it. Sure their o-line isn't great, but it's not terrible either (or is it?)
Nothing wrong with SD. That's why I picked them. But the other players all got really good landing spots. I don't really want to get too into the others landing spots in Gurley thread.

White goes to Chicago

Cooper to Atlanta

Gurley to San Diego

Gordon to Dallas

Parker to Indy
I trade for each of the first 5 picks.
Gurley, Gordon, Cooper, White, Parker... In that order.
Agreed. The only difference the listed landing spots make to me are that they cement Gordon as #2, whereas a poor situation would have dropped him under Cooper for me.

Borden said:
Zyphros said:
Borden said:

White goes to Chicago

Cooper to Atlanta

Gurley to San Diego

Gordon to Dallas

Parker to Indy
Gurley easy. What's wrong with the San Diego landing spot? Lot's of people seem to be pessimistic about that one I don't get it. Sure their o-line isn't great, but it's not terrible either (or is it?)
Nothing wrong with SD. That's why I picked them. But the other players all got really good landing spots. I don't really want to get too into the others landing spots in Gurley thread.
I copied the question into the 1.01 thread, which is a better spot for it.

Madden Curse said:
slackjawedyokel said:
FreeBaGeL said:
Borden said:

White goes to Chicago

Cooper to Atlanta

Gurley to San Diego

Gordon to Dallas

Parker to Indy
I trade for each of the first 5 picks.
Gurley, Gordon, Cooper, White, Parker... In that order.
Agreed. The only difference the listed landing spots make to me are that they cement Gordon as #2, whereas a poor situation would have dropped him under Cooper for me.
That was my thinking as well. Without landing spot, I'd go Gurley, Cooper, White, Gordon, Parker.

Borden said:

White goes to Chicago

Cooper to Atlanta

Gurley to San Diego

Gordon to Dallas

Parker to Indy
Gurley/GordonCooper/Parker

White

I'd put cooper and parker quite a bit above white. Chicago is the worst QB situation, and I view cooper and parker as more complete wrs that are ready to start day 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

A comparison of Georgia RB Todd Gurley to Adrian Peterson is "fair because of their frames, downhill running styles, ability to run away from pursuit when they get a seam and ability to contribute on third down," noted ESPN's Steve Muench.
The analyst additionally compares Gurley to Marshawn Lynch. "Though he's a little smaller than Gurley, Lynch makes sense for the same reasons and because of the eerily similar way both players brush off would-be tacklers in space," Muench wrote. "Bell is interesting because of his size and ability to affect the passing game, but Gurley doesn't move quite as well laterally and has much better top-end speed." ESPN Stats & Information Group's Sharon Katz likens Gurley to Peterson, Carlos Hyde and Le'Veon Bell based on measurables: "The popular comparison to Gurley is Peterson because of their physical, downhill styles of running. The computers agree that Gurley and Peterson are a match in terms of size (within one inch and five pounds) and also identified Hyde and Bell as similar-sized backs (each 230 pounds at combine) with comparable arm and hand sizes."

Source: ESPN Insider
Apr 5 - 9:52 PM

Rotoworld:

A comparison of Georgia RB Todd Gurley to Adrian Peterson is "fair because of their frames, downhill running styles, ability to run away from pursuit when they get a seam and ability to contribute on third down," noted ESPN's Steve Muench.
The analyst additionally compares Gurley to Marshawn Lynch. "Though he's a little smaller than Gurley, Lynch makes sense for the same reasons and because of the eerily similar way both players brush off would-be tacklers in space," Muench wrote. "Bell is interesting because of his size and ability to affect the passing game, but Gurley doesn't move quite as well laterally and has much better top-end speed." ESPN Stats & Information Group's Sharon Katz likens Gurley to Peterson, Carlos Hyde and Le'Veon Bell based on measurables: "The popular comparison to Gurley is Peterson because of their physical, downhill styles of running. The computers agree that Gurley and Peterson are a match in terms of size (within one inch and five pounds) and also identified Hyde and Bell as similar-sized backs (each 230 pounds at combine) with comparable arm and hand sizes."

Obviously the analysts compare these guys to successful backs (or with Hyde one who looks like he should be), but what busts does Gurley compare to?

Rotoworld:

Obviously the analysts compare these guys to successful backs (or with Hyde one who looks like he should be), but what busts does Gurley compare to?
Gotta be Richardson most recently, right?

When I think of prospects that had a combination of elite size and elite speed I think of Peterson, Richardson, Stewart, and Ronnie Brown. Far from sure-things, but I think of the four only Richardson just didn't have what it takes. Maybe Lynch would be in there too but I feel like he added his size once he was in the league.

What would drop Gurley from the 1.01 spot?

Is there landing spots that would drop him? If so, where?

Is there a landing spot for another player that could drop him? If so, who and where?

I realize there's lots of possibilities but let's say just slight variances from the current projections.
That's what I've been asking myself lately. I have the 1.01 in a large league where I'm okay at RB but weaker at receiver without much depth. I don't draft for need but I'm really liking cooper. This becomes a bit easier if cooper lands in new York but right now they're really close imo.

I think either wr landing in a sweet spot (say the Saints trade up for one) and Gurley landing in a bad spot or falls far would be enough to take the receiver.

Or of course your league could value receiver a lot more than rb.
I'm not sure if, in a non-ppr, Gurley would drop in this scenario.

And I'm sure there will be many differing opinions on this.

Thought-provoking questions, though!

Borden said:

White goes to Chicago

Cooper to Atlanta

Gurley to San Diego

Gordon to Dallas

Parker to Indy
Non-ppr?

1. Gurley
  2. Cooper
  3. Gordon
  4. White
  5. Parker
PPR?

1. Gurley
  2. Cooper
  3. White
  4. Parker
  5. Gordon

Rotoworld:

Ben Goessling, ESPN's Vikings reporter, believes that if Minnesota trades Adrian Peterson for a second-round pick, they could attempt to trade up to acquire either Georgia RB Todd Gurley or Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon.
The Vikings pick No. 11, a bit too high for these backs, so Goessling sees pick swapping as the best chance Minnesota has to pop one of the draft's two backs. "Gurley's health is a concern, of course, but he might be the more complete running back of the two," Goessling wrote. "He only fumbled three times in college -- worth noting in light of Gordon's problems hanging on to the ball -- and broke 114 runs of 10 or more yards since 2012, according to ESPN Stats & Information. In the event there's a Peterson trade, this is worth keeping in mind."

Source: ESPN.com
Apr 6 - 5:35 PM

Any chance that the Panthers take Gurley? The 25th pick in the draft might be the position where his overall value may exceed a more needed position. I believe them when they say that they want to limit Stewart's carries. Do they really trust him to stay healthy? I will admit the odds would be higher if Marty Hurney was still the GM.

I am not sure how many people were predicting Carlos Hyde going to San Francisco with Gore still there. Hyde was often getting mocked as a pick in the bottom of the first.

Any chance that the Panthers take Gurley? The 25th pick in the draft might be the position where his overall value may exceed a more needed position. I believe them when they say that they want to limit Stewart's carries. Do they really trust him to stay healthy? I will admit the odds would be higher if Marty Hurney was still the GM.

I am not sure how many people were predicting Carlos Hyde going to San Francisco with Gore still there. Hyde was often getting mocked as a pick in the bottom of the first.
Very likely IMO assuming the OT's Flowers, Peat, and Collins are gone.

For me it's going to depend not so much on who takes him, but where he is taken. If he goes Top 10, he's the #1 overall. The earliest any back has been taken since Trent was so badly overdrafted at 1.03 in 2012 is, well Doug Martin and David Wilson, who were taken at 1.31 and 1.32 respectively in that same year.

In 2013 the top back was Gio Bernard at 2.05 (37th), followed by Leveon Bell in the mid 2nd at 2.16 (48), and Monte Ball at 2.26 (58), Eddie Lacy at 2.29 (61), Christine Michael 2.30 (62)

In 2014 the top back was Sankey 2.22 (54), Jeremy Hill 2.23 (55), Carlos Hyde 2.25 (57)

Basically, since that debacle of a year, which appears to have turned GMs gunshy about taking RBs before the mid second at the very least, we have seen

37th

48th

54th

55th

57th

58th

61st

62nd

Conclusion:

If Gurley or Gordon go any higher than early second, I think you have to conclude that GMs feel more strongly about them than they did Leveon Bell and Eddie Lacy (the top two backs in dynasty right now). Trent Richardson was a superbust. He's fresh in the minds of the NFL, as is David Wilson (bust/injured) and Doug Martin (stud then bust).

The past two seasons have seen some excellent running backs come out...obvisouly Bell, Lacy, and Hill were and have been studs right out of the gates. And every GM in the NFL passed on them in the first round. Every one of them could have had Leveon Bell, and they chose not to make the pick. That to me speaks volumes about the way even top talents at RB are devalued.

I basically like to draft higher draft picks onto my fantasy teams. It saves a lot of time watching "tape" to just let the guys who do it for a living handle that ####. I like reading guys like Xue and EBF but to be honest I think it's mostly the fantasy football equivalent of playing Minecraft or Words with Friends. A lot of thought spent for not much real gain. I don't have time to watch "tape" on players for UCF or even Alabama. I'll let the pros decide where a player is valued. That said, for fantasy purposes if I'm slotting players, I knock 20 picks off for running backs and add 20 picks to QBs. So looking at last year's class, I would roughly rank them.

Sammy Watkins

Mike Evans

Odell Beckham

Brandin Cooks

Blake Bortles

Kelvin Benjamin

Bishop Sankey

Jeremey Hill

Carlos Hyde

Marquise Lee

Johnny Manziel

Jordan Matthews

Paul Richardson

Teddy Bridgewater

Davante Adams

Cody Latimer

Allen Robinson

Jarvis Landry

Jimmy Garropollo.

That's a pretty good set of rankings IMO (bolded players notwithstanding). Let's just see where the guys actually get picked. Now if Gurley goes 13, he's the top guy, no doubt. If he goes 32 and Cooper goes 5, well then I lean Cooper. Follow the money. It's the best practice IMHO.

I think Gurley goes in the top 15. Way too many teams are interested in the kid in that middle to late first round. Someone will jump up and pounce on him. As "devalued" as the position is, this kid is special. I'll take a swing on special rather than the 7th pass rusher off the board any day.

I think Gurley goes in the top 15. Way too many teams are interested in the kid in that middle to late first round. Someone will jump up and pounce on him. As "devalued" as the position is, this kid is special. I'll take a swing on special rather than the 7th pass rusher off the board any day.
Maybe he does and maybe he doesn't go in the top 36. We won't really know highly he is valued as a prospect until somebody lays their chip down on him. If you are a right and he's picked that high, he's automatically the number 1 dynasty pick in my book.

I'll be stunned if he goes higher than 17 to San Diego. I'm expecting him to be a 2nd round pick. Any earlier is a clear indication that he's got a really good chance to be a work horse as soon as he gets healthy.

if I'm slotting players, I knock 20 picks off for running backs and add 20 picks to QBs.
Explain to me where the number 20 came from and I'm listening.
I started at a full round, but that just skewed it too much for me. I kind of worked on the number a little bit until it made sense. Nothing scientific really. It just seems that WRs are the gold standard so I worked everything around them. Please note that I am in Superflex and 2QB leagues. I don't participate in any 1QB dynasty leagues (I'm only in two). So obviously my numbers are a bit skewed towards QBs.

But rookie QBs are a crap shoot. Manziel is a great example of that. So instead of going super crazy on QBs I prefer to trade for a veteran. So while I value them more, I try not to go ga-ga over rookie QBs.

And I'm not sold on that number. I can be persuaded. But I am absolutely sold on the fact that the NFL has an army of scouts, all more qualified than anyone on this board, out watching years of film. So I like to take advantage of that. I'll see where they fall and slot accordingly. Kind of a Tim Ferriss type of methodology. Let somebody better do the work for you.

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Player
NFL Combine medical rechecks will take place this weekend in Indianapolis.
Georgia RB Todd Gurley is the obvious headliner after he wouldn't allow doctors to poke and prod his surgically repaired knee at the actual Combine back in February. A recent report via Yahoo's Charles Robinson indicated multiple teams have Melvin Gordon ranked as the No. 1 running back in the draft due to concerns with Gurley's medical. Gurley could change that this weekend.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports
Apr 13 - 2:23 PM

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Dane Brugler believes Georgia RB Todd Gurley could be the Dolphins selection at No.14, "if the trainers and doctors give the front office two thumbs up" on his health.
"The Dolphins could go in several directions with this pick, including the top talent on the board, which will likely be Gurley. If the trainers and doctors give the front office two thumbs up, this becomes a much easier selection to project," Brugler wrote. Before tearing his ACL, Gurley was a top-10 talent in the draft; it's possible that teams see Gurley as a prospect they want to build their offense around. The 6-foot-1, 236-pound Gurley is the perfect blend of power, size, and speed, which is the reason why his stock has remained so strong.

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 13 - 3:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs

NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney sees Georgia RB Todd Gurley as "a big back with a fearless, in-your-face style that is similar to Seattle Seahawk Marshawn Lynch's Beast Mode."

That said, Cooney is less optimistic about Gurley than many other analysts. "Gurley is a gamble," he wrote. "Odds are he will be physically good to go by the end of the year and probably should not play until 2016. That said, nothing is for sure. Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson each overcame one or more horrific knee injuries and went on to a productive, if not sensational, career. However, there is also Marcus Lattimore, a remarkable runner who had surgery on both knees at South Carolina, was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the fourth round in 2013, but never played a game in the NFL and retired last November." Cooney is also concerned about Gurley's NCAA violation last season. Of that discretion, Gurley said: "I made a dumb mistake and I suffered the consequences. I had to move on from that, but just show them that I'm a great person at the end of the day."

Apr 13 - 6:58 PM

Rotoworld:

NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney sees Georgia RB Todd Gurley as "a big back with a fearless, in-your-face style that is similar to Seattle Seahawk Marshawn Lynch's Beast Mode."

That said, Cooney is less optimistic about Gurley than many other analysts. "Gurley is a gamble," he wrote. "Odds are he will be physically good to go by the end of the year and probably should not play until 2016. That said, nothing is for sure. Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson each overcame one or more horrific knee injuries and went on to a productive, if not sensational, career. However, there is also Marcus Lattimore, a remarkable runner who had surgery on both knees at South Carolina, was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the fourth round in 2013, but never played a game in the NFL and retired last November." Cooney is also concerned about Gurley's NCAA violation last season. Of that discretion, Gurley said: "I made a dumb mistake and I suffered the consequences. I had to move on from that, but just show them that I'm a great person at the end of the day."

In this vein ... I can't imagine dropping a first-round pick on a guy coming off a serious knee injury, no matter the talent. First-round picks are gold and need to be as "sure-thing" as you can project.

ESPECIALLY with the dramatic glut of RBs this year. The top 8 could all be decent contributors. Take a big guy (lineman) in the first and draft any of the remaining RBs in the 3rd.... profit.

Rotoworld:

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Caplan reports that Georgia RB Todd Gurley with have an official visit with the Cleveland Browns this week.
Interestingly enough, ESPN Draft analyst, Mel Kiper, recently mocked Gurley to the Browns in his latest mock draft at No.19. Gurley has the ideal size, speed, and vision the Browns could use in their zone blocking scheme. However, the Browns currently have Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell holding down the position. Neither back has the potential to be a super star, but both are serviceable backs. If Browns are looking for a power running game to be the foundation of their offense, Gurley could definitely be that guy.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter
Apr 14 - 3:03 PM

Rotoworld:

NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney sees Georgia RB Todd Gurley as "a big back with a fearless, in-your-face style that is similar to Seattle Seahawk Marshawn Lynch's Beast Mode."That said, Cooney is less optimistic about Gurley than many other analysts. "Gurley is a gamble," he wrote. "Odds are he will be physically good to go by the end of the year and probably should not play until 2016. That said, nothing is for sure. Willis McGahee, Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson each overcame one or more horrific knee injuries and went on to a productive, if not sensational, career. However, there is also Marcus Lattimore, a remarkable runner who had surgery on both knees at South Carolina, was drafted by the San Francisco 49ers in the fourth round in 2013, but never played a game in the NFL and retired last November." Cooney is also concerned about Gurley's NCAA violation last season. Of that discretion, Gurley said: "I made a dumb mistake and I suffered the consequences. I had to move on from that, but just show them that I'm a great person at the end of the day."

This is why I see Gurley going to Atlanta. Dan Quinn has been a Lynch observer, and he must know that there is nobody like that on the Falcons right now.

Rotoworld:

On average, Georgia RB Todd Gurley broke a tackle once every 3.3 carries, according to Pro Football Focus.
"His 3.9 average yards after contact ranked second in the draft class," Matt Claassen writes. Gurley is the paramount talent in this draft class. A running back has not been selected in the first round in the last two years. That will change with this year with Gurley.

Source: Pro Football Focus
Apr 15 - 10:50 AM

Rotoworld:

The Dolphins have been doing "a lot of research" on Georgia RB Todd Gurley, reports the Miami Herald.

The Fins are "unquestionably intrigued" by Gurley, writes beat reporter Barry Jackson. This is where things get interesting. The Dolphins own the No. 14 overall pick and there's roughly a 50-50 shot that Gurley will be available when they get on the clock. If he is, will Miami eschew bigger needs elsewhere to tab a big name and a force of a running back talent? Or will they hold off until Day 2 or 3 to grab one of this class' many talented backs available at a discounted price?

Source: Barry Jackson on Twitter

Apr 16 - 10:07 PM

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Player

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Georgia RB Todd Gurley's medically-repaired knee "checked out fine" at the NFL Combine medical rechecks.

Gurley declined to have his knee examined at the Combine, but he passed through the recheck process with no issues. There have been reports Gurley will begin the season on the PUP list, but Rapoport added the "hope" is Gurley will be ready for training camp. He will only be eight months removed from the injury when camps begin, so it may be nothing more than "hope" he will be ready by then. Either way, Gurley looks to be on the right track in his recovery and is a great bet to come off the board on Day 1.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 18 - 10:29 AM

Users who are viewing this thread