Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

i hope he goes to Indy.

I hope he goes to NE
I hope he goes to my fantasy roster.

I have the 1.1 so he will be on mine. Now who do I pick with 1.2??? Haha

Is this a done deal? Regardless of how things shake out in the draft? Just curious, as a whole, of just how widely accepted Gurley is going to be the 1.01 in rookie drafts.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10288/todd-gurley

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports the "word on the street" is Georgia RB Todd Gurley will be a top-10 pick.
Specifically, Robinson expects Gurley to be picked in the 6-10 range. The Jets and Falcons at Nos. 6 and 8, respectively, would seem to be the most logical fits in that range, as ESPN's Todd McShay's most-recent mock draft released on Wednesday has the Jets taking Gurley at No. 6. Gurley reportedly received "two thumbs up" at his medical recheck in Indianapolis, adding more fuel to Gurley's already piping-hot draft stock. He's a lock to come off the board on Day 1. Apr 22 - 10:38 AM
That could kill his value. If he goes to the Jets, I could see him dropping to 3rd or worse on most boards if Gordon goes to a team like Baltimore and a guy like Tevin Coleman goes to Dallas.

Yahoo! Sports' Charles Robinson reports the "word on the street" is Georgia RB Todd Gurley will be a top-10 pick.

Specifically, Robinson expects Gurley to be picked in the 6-10 range. The Jets and Falcons at Nos. 6 and 8, respectively, would seem to be the most logical fits in that range, as ESPN's Todd McShay's most-recent mock draft released on Wednesday has the Jets taking Gurley at No. 6. Gurley reportedly received "two thumbs up" at his medical recheck in Indianapolis, adding more fuel to Gurley's already piping-hot draft stock. He's a lock to come off the board on Day 1. Apr 22 - 10:38 AM

That could kill his value. If he goes to the Jets, I could see him dropping to 3rd or worse on most boards if Gordon goes to a team like Baltimore and a guy like Tevin Coleman goes to Dallas.

Moving Gurley, or any prospect, significantly down because of his team is foolish. Especially if he goes top 10. If anything, people should move him up, if they don't have him 1, because a RB being drafted that high should speak volumes about his talent.

So you're saying if Gurley goes to the Jets and Gordon to the Falcons, you now have Gordon up to?

Gurley to the Falcons would create a ton of buzz so let's say same question if Gurley goes to Atlanta and Gordon to Dallas.

Moving Gurley, or any prospect, significantly down because of his team is foolish. Especially if he goes top 10. If anything, people should move him up, if they don't have him 1, because a RB being drafted that high should speak volumes about his talent.

DMAC was drafted top 5...just sayin'.

So was Barry Sanders, which is about as relevant.
  • Like 1

Why? A team with a great defense that likely will be looking to run the ball with average competition for carries. Chan Gailey's offense was very good for CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson.

Obviously we could do this all day and I'm sure I can come up with more bad eggs than you can HOFers but the point is the draft spot isn't the end all, be all to your original statement. Just three years ago, there were SO many people that took Ball based on a similar idea over Lacy and there were many people saying Lacy was the better talent. Just saying these things have many, many variables, not just hinging on the fact that a particular GM with a need gets a boner for a guy.

Obviously we could do this all day and I'm sure I can come up with more bad eggs than you can HOFers but the point is the draft spot isn't the end all, be all to your original statement. Just three years ago, there were SO many people that took Ball based on a similar idea over Lacy and there were many people saying Lacy was the better talent. Just saying these things have many, many variables, not just hinging on the fact that a particular GM with a need gets a boner for a guy.
Right, there are many variables. We are talking about a specific circumstance in which you are moving a player down based on this one variable, though. You have already weighed most every other variable to conclude that Gurley should be ranked X. You are then drastically changing that, and in some form overshadowing previous variables, based on the team that drafts him.

Ball and Lacy went around the same part of the draft. Anyone that took Ball over Lacy did so based on either thinking he was the better talent, like his situation better or were spooked by Lacy's alleged toe issue.

Sure worked for Ingram - and T Rich.

I can't imagine these rumors are true... remember, this is the time for maximum misinformation.

It makes no sense for a team with many holes (aka top 10 pick) to use one on a RB that is marginally more talented than guys that will be available in the 2nd/3rd round.

There's zero chance the Falcons pass on a stud edge defender ala Beasley and pick a RB with the 8th overall.

I also don't see the Jets (or any team) using the 6th overall pick on a guy 8 months removed from a major knee surgery, regardless of position.

I'll bet anyone even-money that Gurley doesn't go in the top 20.

I could see any of the top 9 teams taking Gurley if they believe he is the next coming of AP.

With that said, I move him down if a team like Chicago takes him since I don't see him bypassing Forte. Otherwise, he stays at #1 for me.

Now, if he gets to the late 1st, I think there's more chance he splits touches. He goes to Indy and he's behind Gore or at least splitting carries.

Situation matters for me.

I agree with your first sentence. I said he could drop to 3. What I do think is foolish is moving a player up my board simply because an NFL team drafted him in the top 10.

I could see any of the top 9 teams taking Gurley if they believe he is the next coming of AP.

With that said, I move him down if a team like Chicago takes him since I don't see him bypassing Forte. Otherwise, he stays at #1 for me.

Now, if he gets to the late 1st, I think there's more chance he splits touches. He goes to Indy and he's behind Gore or at least splitting carries.

Let me ask you this. Not that it happens, but what if Gurley goes to Miami and Gordon goes to Dallas. Do you take Gurley splitting time with miller behind one of the worst lines in the NFL over a guy many have ranked right behind Gurley going to a team with the #1 run blocking offensive line in the league. A team that just gave Demarco Murray 460 touches last season along with a rushing title by 500+ yards?

Why? A team with a great defense that likely will be looking to run the ball with average competition for carries. Chan Gailey's offense was very good for CJ Spiller and Fred Jackson.

Actually, you make a great point. That line is more solid than I remembered if Nick Mangold stays healthy and the absence of Rex Ryan is a plus as well. They will still struggle offensively but he would get plenty of opportunity there. Good call. I think I'd be more worried about him going to a few other teams than the Jets.

It's funny how you just get so used to the Jets being terrible. :)

It may have worked for Ingrzm but not even remotely worked for TRich.

How'd it work for Sankey and Hill last year?

Let me ask you this. Not that it happens, but what if Gurley goes to Miami and Gordon goes to Dallas. Do you take Gurley splitting time with miller behind one of the worst lines in the NFL over a guy many have ranked right behind Gurley going to a team with the #1 run blocking offensive line in the league. A team that just gave Demarco Murray 460 touches last season along with a rushing title by 500+ yards?

In your scenario I go Gordon. Situation matters to me!

It may have worked for Ingrzm but not even remotely worked for TRich.

How'd it work for Sankey and Hill last year?

In general, if I am willing to move an established player up or down based on situation, I'm willing to do it for a rookie.

If AJ green gets traded to the Browns, I move him. If he gets traded to the Eagles, I move him a different direction.

If Mark Ingram wakes up as a Charger tomorrow, I move him.

Talent is talent but you can't simply ignore all the other things.

If Gurley goes in the top 10, is he a top 10 pick in dynasty startups?

I think there are far safer options, including two young RBs in Bell and Lacy.

Safer yes but few with his upside. Bell would go ahead of him, I'd say he'd be right there with Lacy though if he were drafted that high.

Safer yes but few with his upside. Bell would go ahead of him, I'd say he'd be right there with Lacy though if he were drafted that high.

I'm not an expert on this but off the top of my head I think top 10 is too high. Luck, Dez, Odell, 3-4 other great young WRS, Gronk, Bell, Lacy. I'm guessing Gurley is a mid-late 2nd kind of guy.

I'm a believer but I just couldn't risk it. I'd take (in no particular order) at least Bell, Lacy, Dez, DThomas, OBJ, Julio Jones, Luck, Brown Evans, Gronk and AJG over him. One could certainly make the case though.

I have to agree. I definitely think Gurley is the better prospect. In fact, I think he's the best RB prospect since AP but there are some situations that will have me go with another player at #1.

It's not just Gurley's landing spot. It's the combination of his landing spot with the landing spot of the other elite talents in the draft such as Gordon, White, and Cooper.

Consider this scenario:

White/Cooper - Atlanta

Gurley - Miami/Chicago

Gordon - Baltimore

Coleman/Yeldon/Ajayi/Abdullah/Johnson/etc - Dallas

I couldn't even think of a trade up scenario that would have both Cooper and White going to solid passing teams so I grouped them together. So if the above happens ... or something close to this, I could definitely see Gurley dropping a couple (if not 3) spots on many boards.

I have to agree. I definitely think Gurley is the better prospect. In fact, I think he's the best RB prospect since AP but there are some situations that will have me go with another player at #1.

It's not just Gurley's landing spot. It's the combination of his landing spot with the landing spot of the other elite talents in the draft such as Gordon, White, and Cooper.

Consider this scenario:

White/Cooper - Atlanta

Gurley - Miami/Chicago

Gordon - Baltimore

Coleman/Yeldon/Ajayi/Abdullah/Johnson/etc - Dallas

I couldn't even think of a trade up scenario that would have both Cooper and White going to solid passing teams so I grouped them together. So if the above happens ... or something close to this, I could definitely see Gurley dropping a couple (if not 3) spots on many boards.

Interesting scenario. I would still take Gurley #1 in that scenario, but can appreciate why others wouldn't.

To me the only realistic scenario where I don't take Gurley #1 involves Gordon ending up in Dallas.

Curious to see how this all plays out. Will any running back ever be worth drafting in the first round of an NFL draft? Apparently not.

Curious to see how this all plays out. Will any running back ever be worth drafting in the first round of an NFL draft? Apparently not.

Two will go in the first in this draft.

Rotoworld:

Georgia RB Todd Gurley "is a top-10 player on my board and one of the most talented players in this draft -- though concerns about his durability and positional value could cause him to slide down the board a little bit," wrote ESPN's Todd McShay.

McShay, it should be noted, is not predicting a slide. In fact, in his most recent mock draft (published Wednesday), McShay has Gurley going No. 6 to the Jets. The analyst ranks Gurley No. 9 overall in the class. "His best quality is as a north-south power runner, so the ideal system fit might be a power O scheme," McShay wrote. "However, he also has very good vision and excellent speed for his size, so he's scheme-versatile. He can be a big-time contributor in the passing game, which makes him a three-down back."
Apr 22 - 8:31 PM

I can see Atlanta taking Gurley and instantly moving to the head of the NFC South. If not them then the Giants are another early candidate. After that, there are several at the bottom of the 1st who are nice fits.

I can see Atlanta taking Gurley and instantly moving to the head of the NFC South. If not them then the Giants are another early candidate. After that, there are several at the bottom of the 1st who are nice fits.

But I thought that was Freeman's job?

that's a good question, but I'm kind of skeptical

I don't run an nfl franchise, or anything like that, but you'd better get peterson, I'd think

there are too many guys that you can get other places who can be productive

like, you could've just signed demarco murray for 9m in 2015 and 21m guaranteed

if I want to sign the top tackle, d-lineman, qb, wr, or corner in fa can I get them that cheap?

you could wait 'til whatever round and draft jeremy hill, or whoever.

I think it's just scarcity ---- there are 2 OT on the field and several d-linemen, but only 1 rb, generally.

rb aren't really restricted by size, other than the general nfl filter --- most guys are rb sized, or you could even be sprolesian, but lineman qualifications restrict you to a much smaller % of the population.

btw, I hope you're in the gurley camp

stay away from gordon

Edited by Kool-Aid Larry

But I thought that was Freeman's job?

there's a whole new crew in there now, who knows how they feel about freeman -- they didn't draft that guy.

not to mention, you need a few bodies at the position.

I think rb is about the least of their concerns, but I'm pretty sure shanny jr will find some guys he likes somewhere in te draft

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Bulldogs

College Football Focus' Elusive Rating ranked Georgia RB Todd Gurley as easily the top back in the class.

The metric, according to CFF, "attempts to measure the success of a running back beyond his blockers by taking missed tackles forced and yards after contact into account against the player’s total touches." Perhaps more newsworthy is that Josh Robinson finished No. 2. Gurley had a stupid 37 forced missed tackles on 117 rushes against Power 5 teams.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Apr 23 - 5:26 PM

I agree that the Falcons could take Gurley but for different reasons. Quinn saw what Lynch did for that team and knows what he did for the Hawks defense.

If he believes that Gurley can be an all pro back then I can see him making the pick. He knows that he can find and build players for his defensive system later in the draft (and shortly after). There's no doubt that DL play contributed to Seattle's success, I just think Quinn has enough confidence in his system to go offense early. Kind of a reverse Chip Kelly.

I agree that the Falcons could take Gurley but for different reasons. Quinn saw what Lynch did for that team and knows what he did for the Hawks defense.

If he believes that Gurley can be an all pro back then I can see him making the pick. He knows that he can find and build players for his defensive system later in the draft (and shortly after). There's no doubt that DL play contributed to Seattle's success, I just think Quinn has enough confidence in his system to go offense early. Kind of a reverse Chip Kelly.

i think you need some decent defensive players for that plan to work.

As much as I like Gurley, I just don't see any of the top 10 teams in the draft taking him. I'm not talking about the 2 QBs (who I'm fairly certain will go in the top 10) but I feel the NFL has gone the way of "gotta build from the trenches". Yes, some WRs will go top 10 but I don't see one of the RBs going in that range.

As much as I like Gurley, I just don't see any of the top 10 teams in the draft taking him. I'm not talking about the 2 QBs (who I'm fairly certain will go in the top 10) but I feel the NFL has gone the way of "gotta build from the trenches". Yes, some WRs will go top 10 but I don't see one of the RBs going in that range.

Maybe, maybe not. The NFL, as a whole, still firmly believes that you build from both sides of the line-out. Although it is much more of a passing league nowadays, I think it might be fair to say that the recent lack of high RB picks indicates more that teams only draft RBs high IF they are truly difference-making RBs. If Peterson came out tomorrow, someone is taking him high.

For that reason, I expect Gurley and Gordon to both go in Round 1. That doesn't mean the rest are not good. It just means there is a lot to be excited about these particular two Rbs in relation to where they are likely to end up (teams like Dallas and Baltimore and Atlanta are very RB friendly). I don't expect Atlanta to pull the trigger that early but would not rule out them trading up into the back end of the 1st and getting a guy if he's there.

Rotoworld:

Georgia RB Todd Gurley "would nicely complement the Cardinals' downfield passing attack," and would be the best fit at No.24 for Arizona, according to CBS Sports' Rob Rang.

"His ability to churn out the tough yards inside, break big gainers and haul in passes out of the backfield would nicely complement the Cardinals' downfield passing attack," Rang wrote. Although Gurley is still recovering from a torn ACL, the Georgia prospect has a good shot to be ready for the season. With a positive medical check on his knee, Gurley may be off the board by the time the Cardinals select. Arizona may have to move up inside the top 15, if they want to land his services.
Source: CBS Sports
Apr 24 - 2:49 PM

Georgia RB Todd Gurley "would nicely complement all 32 teams' downfield passing attack,"

Gurley is incredible. A big guy who was a top notch track and field guy too, a freak of nature. For someone his size to have that kind of athletic ability is so rare.

The more i think about it the more i think he's going in the top 10 of the draft. A clean ACL tear for a 20 year old shouldn't really end up being much of an issue.

it's arguable that he's the #1 dynasty RB right now.

Gurley is incredible. A big guy who was a top notch track and field guy too, a freak of nature. For someone his size to have that kind of athletic ability is so rare.

The more i think about it the more i think he's going in the top 10 of the draft. A clean ACL tear for a 20 year old shouldn't really end up being much of an issue.

it's arguable that he's the #1 dynasty RB right now.

#2 behind Bell actually ha