Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

Rotoworld:

Rams coach Jef Fisher declined to say if Todd Gurley (knee) will be ready for training camp.

"I can’t predict that," Fisher said. "I know he’s doing well. He’ll rehab with us during the break. We’re just going to see how he progresses. If he’s not PUPed, then I think you could probably assume he’s going to play sooner than you think." Gurley’s camp status remains up in the air. Seven months removed from ACL surgery, Gurley is questionable for Week 1.
Jun 17 - 5:39 PM

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley (ACL surgery) will soon meet with Dr. James Andrews for a recheck of his surgically repaired knee.

The meeting will take place "in the next few weeks." Gurley's recovery is believed to have gone on free of setbacks, but that won't be officially determined until Dr. Andrews sees the knee. It's also possible when they meet that Gurley will be cleared for some activity before training camp, which of course would be excellent news for Gurley's chances of playing in Week 1.
Jun 26 - 1:13 PM

Andy Benoit @Andy_Benoit 2h2 hours ago

ok Twitterverse, get ready to bring your griping to the table. NFL RB rankings 1-30 coming up.

Andy Benoit @Andy_Benoit 2h2 hours ago

Best NFL RB’s entering ’15: 16 Forsett 17 Ingram 18 L. Miller 19 Gurley (TBD...projection) 20 T Mason

Cody Bauer@CBauerNFLDraft 1h1 hour ago

@Andy_Benoit Yet you have a rookie ranked?...

Andy Benoit @Andy_Benoit 1h1 hour ago

Andy Benoit retweeted Cody Bauer

Gurley an exception to the rule....some coaches think he could be a 2,000-yd back if behind a dominant OL

So torn..........

I am a STL fan and have the #1 pick in our dynasty rookie and fa draft.

I want Gurley bad but CJ Anderson was a fa at the end of our waiver wire process last year and I feel I have to go him.

Gurley's injury history scares me but he is dynamite and I cant wait to cheer him on every Sunday!

So torn..........

I want Gurley bad but CJ Anderson was a fa at the end of our waiver wire process last year and I feel I have to go him.

Gurley's injury history scares me but he is dynamite and I cant wait to cheer him on every Sunday!

You're nuts. It's Gurley or Cooper at 1.1. Even with CJ there.

So torn..........

:goodposting:

not even a tough call

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Not to turn this into a CJ vs Gurley or Melvin conversation but why?

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

Offensive coordinator concerns

CJ is young and I have seen him.

Why have so much faith in 2 rookies who we haven't seen and 1 who is coming off a major injury

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

Why have so much faith in 2 rookies who we haven't seen and 1 who is coming off a major injury

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

Gurley is currently ranked as the 19 overall player in dynasty. Cooper is 23. Anderson..... Not even in the top 50 (57).

There are plenty of good reasons for this but there is no need to get into them. If you like Anderson that much. Trade the pick or draft Gurely/Cooper and trade them. Drafting Anderson is the equivalent of throwing money into a fire. It shouldn't even be considered. Sorry, but this harsh reality needs to be said.

Edited by jurb26

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

Gurley is currently ranked as the 19 overall player in dynasty. Cooper is 23. Anderson..... Not even in the top 50 (57).

There are plenty of good reasons for this but there is no need to get into them. If you like Anderson that much. Trade the pick or draft Gurely/Cooper and trade them. Drafting Anderson is the equivalent of throwing money into a fire. It shouldn't even be considered. Sorry, but this harsh reality needs to be said.

Agree. Even if you're right and Anderson IS

All that and a bag of chips, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least trade into the position of getting him and leveraging the value.

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

All that and a bag of chips, you're doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least trade into the position of getting him and leveraging the value.

Until the next guy that's also right takes CJ at 3. Now you're at 6 with your "leveraged value" and drafting a guy you don't like.

All you gotta be is right.

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

Until the next guy that's also right takes CJ at 3. Now you're at 6 with your "leveraged value" and drafting a guy you don't like.

It is about getting it right. If that means you get it right because some else made your preconceived mistake before you get the chance too. That's works as well. Edited by jurb26

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

It is about getting it right. If that means you get it right because some else made your preconceived mistake before you get the chance too. That's works as well.

I cant really pick Gurley and hold him for a Kings ransom.

The guy behind me owns the 2 and 3 pick. He has made it very known

he will pick which 2 I don't pick out of Anderson, Gurley or Gordan.

I just don't agree on Gurley over Anderson as I believe Anderson will give a top 10 rb performance the next 3 years.

After that, its anyways best guess.

Yeldon estimated to go 4th (I think Cooper should) AA, Cooper and Joseph Randle are probably going 5-7.

I have the 7.

Would love to have Anderson and Randle with the 1 and 7, I think both will be top 15 this year

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

It is about getting it right. If that means you get it right because some else made your preconceived mistake before you get the chance too. That's works as well.

I just don't agree on Gurley over Anderson as I believe Anderson will give a top 10 rb performance the next 3 years.

Yeldon estimated to go 4th (I think Cooper should) AA, Cooper and Joseph Randle are probably going 5-7.

I have the 7.

Would love to have Anderson and Randle with the 1 and 7, I think both will be top 15 this year

Are points skewed towards RBs in this league? 6 of the first 7 picks will be RBs?

How is CJ Anderson a free agent, do you close waivers super early in this league?

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

I have the 7.

Are points skewed towards RBs in this league? 6 of the first 7 picks will be RBs?

How is CJ Anderson a free agent, do you close waivers super early in this league?

I'm assuming because CJ was a fa pickup last year that he couldn't be kept by his owner so he goes back into the draft.

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

I have the 7.

We stop fa pick ups at week 12 but its also a salary cap league.

Almost all the owners were out of cash by the time week 12 came along.

We don't do ppr and rookie wrs aren't as valuable due to the max of signing them is a 3 year contract and their development taking

a little longer than rbs.

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

Taking CJ over Gurley is as bad as the folks who loved Willie Parker.... Did u notice he is nowhere in the league now? CJ is in a good situation but once Peyton is gone he will be useless

So torn..........

not even a tough call

Injury concerns

offensive talent concern

You have 3 options here.

1. Draft Gurley

2. Draft Cooper

3. Trade the pick.

Taking CJ over Gurley is as bad as the folks who loved Willie Parker.... Did u notice he is nowhere in the league now? CJ is in a good situation but once Peyton is gone he will be useless
:confused:

Willie Parker rewarded the people who bought his hype with a 1700/16 year. Eventually succumbed to broken leg plus turf toe while leading the NFL in rushing, and had to retire young.

We need to stop pretending dynasty rankings are anything but guesswork and herd mentality. Ranking CJ over Gurley isn't wrong, it's just unpopular. We still have no idea whether Gurley will return from injury, nor whether he'll prove to be the best back on his own team even if he does.

If I had to make the pick, I'd go with Gurley, too. But I've sure as hell been at this long enough to know that hot rookie prospects are some of the biggest gambles out there -- doubly so when they're recovering from catastrophic injuries. ADP worshipers always come off sounding like it's their first rodeo to anyone who's been at this a while.

By the end of 2006, not too many people were high-fiving each other about having nabbed first-round pick Laurence Maroney instead of Fast Willie. :shrug:

It's been a WHOLE lot of first round RB's ago since one of them justified the hype irrational fans thrust upon him.

Edited by Freelove

We don't do ppr and rookie wrs aren't as valuable due to the max of signing them is a 3 year contract and their development taking

If the longest you can hold any player is three years and assuming you can not extend those contracts (which seems to be the case based on what you say about WRs) than taking CJ Anderson over Gurley isn't as bad a move as it would be in a real dynasty league. If Gurley sits out to start the regular season than you'd be basically wasting one year of his contract. In this league his long term value is muted by the fact that you won't be carrying him for the majority of his career, thus a one year impact of Anderson playing with Manning just may be more valuable.

If the longest you can hold any player is three years and assuming you can not extend those contracts (which seems to be the case based on what you say about WRs) than taking CJ Anderson over Gurley isn't as bad a move as it would be in a real dynasty league. If Gurley sits out to start the regular season than you'd be basically wasting one year of his contract. In this league his long term value is muted by the fact that you won't be carrying him for the majority of his career, thus a one year impact of Anderson playing with Manning just may be more valuable.

:goodposting: Also as Black Jacks stated, the three year contract devalues WR too, so this is the odd situation where CJ may be more valuable than both Cooper and Gurley.

:goodposting: Also as Black Jacks stated, the three year contract devalues WR too, so this is the odd situation where CJ may be more valuable than both Cooper and Gurley.

If you could guarantee me 3 years like FWP with my #1 dynasty pick I would take it

Rb's shelf life isn't great.

Give me 3 years of 1600 yards and 8 tds on average and I will sign up.

I know you could get better and I know Gurley could do that and better for longer but I will take the immediate results and hope for longevity.

Rotoworld:

The Rams used a 2016 fifth-round pick to select Clemson T Isaiah Battle in the fifth-round of the 2015 Supplemental Draft.

This means the Rams have used five total draft picks on offensive linemen in the last few months. Those five: Rob Havenstein (second-round), Jamon Brown (third-round), Andrew Donnal (fourth-round), Cody Wichmman (sixth-round) and Isaiah Battle (fifth-round). We understand the approach, as the team will likely base their offense on Todd Gurley and Tre Mason, but we are not fans of the prospects or value overall. Battle has length and size, but he is a waist bender who lacks strength. He enters the rams program late in the process and the team loses their 2016 fifth-round pick with this selection.
Jul 9 - 1:57 PM

If you could guarantee me 3 years like FWP with my #1 dynasty pick I would take it

Rb's shelf life isn't great.

Give me 3 years of 1600 yards and 8 tds on average and I will sign up.

I know you could get better and I know Gurley could do that and better for longer but I will take the immediate results and hope for longevity.

sounds like you made up your mind a long time ago. In dynasty it's not even close, Gurley/Cooper everyday, but in a 3 year contract league I'd treat the draft as if it were a redraft league.

Yeah, didn't know about the 3 year limit. In that case, I treat it as more of a redraft scenario and I can see the argument for CJ.

Does anyone else just hate hearing him talk? Been watching some of the clips of him lately and I don't want to say he sounds stupid but kind of uneducated. Love the talent and everything but sound smarter, or enthused or happy. Melancholy attitude it seems. Still love him though.

Does anyone else just hate hearing him talk? Been watching some of the clips of him lately and I don't want to say he sounds stupid but kind of uneducated. Love the talent and everything but sound smarter, or enthused or happy. Melancholy attitude it seems. Still love him though.

You're not alone.

I'm a huge Gurley fan but for this year, with the injury and Mason, I'm not expecting huge things for 2015. He could be this year's version of Hill or JStew done the stretch, however, and be a force in the second half of the season.

On a scale of Russell Wilson to Pac-Man, where does Gurley fall?

See Charles, Gore, lynch as well.

That'll get fixed once the PR people get their hands on him

I'm a huge Gurley fan but for this year, with the injury and Mason, I'm not expecting huge things for 2015. He could be this year's version of Hill or JStew done the stretch, however, and be a force in the second half of the season.

As of now that's pretty much how I see it but will readjust how I feel if he's actually playing in preseason.

I've done two startup drafts this offseason and taken Gurley in both as well as having took him at 1.1 in a few rookie drafts. So I love his future but from what I've seen of redafts I think he is getting terribly overdrafted. Of course I also still believe he gets put on PUP which means he does make his debut until week 8.

Rotoworld:

Rams RB Todd Gurley (ACL) will likely open training camp on the NFI list, as expected.

This is not a red flag on Gurley's status. The NFI list works just like the Preseason PUP list, meaning he can be taken off and start practicing at any time. Obviously, the sooner Gurley is off the list and practicing, the better for his Week 1 outlook. He tore his left ACL on November 15, 2014 -- roughly eight months ago.
Related: Tre Mason
Jul 21 - 11:12 AM

As of now that's pretty much how I see it but will readjust how I feel if he's actually playing in preseason.

I've done two startup drafts this offseason and taken Gurley in both as well as having took him at 1.1 in a few rookie drafts. So I love his future but from what I've seen of redafts I think he is getting terribly overdrafted. Of course I also still believe he gets put on PUP which means he does make his debut until week 8.

I get the thought on why you say over drafted but it is hard to know where to draw that line because IF he is what a LOT of people seem to think he is and he DOES become a Hill type of presence down the stretch, the pick at where he is averaging is justified because he might be what carries you home during the important part of the season.

I saw redraft leagues last year where OBJ was drafted very late and people ridiculed because of the small rosters. I saw him drafted late and then dropped after a few weeks. I saw him not even drafted initially. But at the end of the day, had someone drafted him 1.06, sure, I would have laughed right along with everyone else, but I wouldn't have laughed last. IF you have a good feeling that a guy can be a significant difference maker at the end of the season, that's what its all about. I carried CJ Anderson on a dynasty roster for a year and a half before ever using him but he paid it all back in spades when I needed him most.

• Like 1

been kinda quiet about the meeting with Dr. Andrews that was supposed to have taken place by now.

still 10 days before camp opens...would make sense to meet as close to start of camp as possible, no?

been kinda quiet about the meeting with Dr. Andrews that was supposed to have taken place by now.

still 10 days before camp opens...would make sense to meet as close to start of camp as possible, no?

probably. there was a report June 26nd that said he was going to meet with Dr. Andrews for an examination in "a couple of weeks". Guess that could mean more than 2-weeks, and it hasn't happened yet.

Edited by ericttspikes

Pretty sure I heard Snead say they were going to try and evaluate as close to camp as possible. All indications are he is ahead of schedule. They haven't said what their expected schedule is, though.

It will be a medical decision. If Andrews and the team medical staff think he is ready to go, ESPN beat reporter Nick Wagoner was under the impression they won't automatically put him on the PUP list for precautionary reasons. Still hard to see Mason not getting the majority of carries, at least in the first half of the season (and even after that juncture, they may approximately split for most if not the rest of the season). Jeremy Hill's rookie second half was mentioned, and anything is possible, but Gurley wasn't returning from a torn ACL. I'm much more excited about his dynasty than redraft prospects, though he could make a meaningful contribution in 2015 (especially in the second half - jusy don't see lightning striking twice in consecutive years, I think Hill was #1 in yardage and Y/C average in the second half of the season?).

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Nick Wagoner expects Todd Gurley (ACL) to be back before the Rams' Week 6 bye.

Wagoner calls predictions of the Rams holding Gurley until Week 7 "too far flung." The No. 10 overall pick is going to open camp with some individual drills and gradually progress toward full-team work. He still has a chance to suit up Week 1, which will be roughly 10 months after his ACL tear at Georgia.
Source: ESPN.com
Jul 27 - 11:20 AM

Rotoworld:

Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Rams GM Les Snead said RB Todd Gurley (ACL) has passed his conditioning test, and should progress to football activities "soon."

This doesn't change the fact that Gurley will open camp on the active/NFI list, but he's progressing as the Rams hoped. Gurley is expected to begin participating in individual drills sooner rather than later. ESPN's Nick Wagoner believes Gurley will avoid the reserve/NFI list, which would cost him the first six games of the season.
Jul 28 - 1:48 PM

Rotoworld:

Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Rams GM Les Snead said RB Todd Gurley (ACL) has passed his conditioning test, and should progress to football activities "soon."

This doesn't change the fact that Gurley will open camp on the active/NFI list, but he's progressing as the Rams hoped. Gurley is expected to begin participating in individual drills sooner rather than later. ESPN's Nick Wagoner believes Gurley will avoid the reserve/NFI list, which would cost him the first six games of the season.
Jul 28 - 1:48 PM

Will start on NFI list? That final? Or is rotoworld making up stuff

Starting on NFI means nothing at this point. You can't put a guy on NFI once he's practiced, so they are starting him there since he can't fully practice yet. They can take him off any time before the start of the season.

Rotoworld:

The Rams' official website believes there's a "possibility" Todd Gurley (knee) starts Week 1.

Gurley's outlook has improved considerably after he avoided the PUP list to begin camp, but writer Myles Simmons still believes it's "more probable" Tre Mason starts Week 1 than Gurley. Simmons points toward coach Jeff Fisher's usual conservatism with rookies as evidence. Regardless of who starts Week 1, it's looking more and more likely that Gurley has a big role by the end of September. His health is farther along than was previously expected.

Related: Tre Mason

Source: stlouisrams.com

Jul 28 - 7:17 PM

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Rams

Todd Gurley (knee) is participating in individual drills early in Rams training camp.

Per ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner, there is "no timetable" for Gurley to begin practicing in 11-on-11s. In the meantime, Tre Mason will operate as St. Louis' first-team back with Benny Cunningham mixing in on passing downs. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch expects Mason to open 2015 as the lead ball carrier.

Source: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Jul 31 - 9:21 PM