Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley (ACL) has remained limited to individual-drill and walkthrough reps, and coach Jeff Fisher made it clear Tuesday that Rams are taking a "long-term" approach to Gurley's recovery.

"This is going to be a process," Fisher emphasized. "It’s not going to be a day to day thing. We are looking at this long term process right now. By that when I say long term, I’m talking about let’s just go week to week and go through the preseason and we’ll see where we are when the season starts." Fisher was noncommittal on whether Gurley will play in the preseason. Fisher described Gurley as "a ways away" in terms of full availability.
Aug 4 - 8:48 PM

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley (ACL) has remained limited to individual-drill and walkthrough reps, and coach Jeff Fisher made it clear Tuesday that Rams are taking a "long-term" approach to Gurley's recovery.

"This is going to be a process," Fisher emphasized. "It’s not going to be a day to day thing. We are looking at this long term process right now. By that when I say long term, I’m talking about let’s just go week to week and go through the preseason and we’ll see where we are when the season starts." Fisher was noncommittal on whether Gurley will play in the preseason. Fisher described Gurley as "a ways away" in terms of full availability.
Aug 4 - 8:48 PM

As a future Gurley owner, I love to hear this. I don't give a #### about the first month of his rookie season, and I would rather he not endure a big workload this first year after the ACL injury.

• Like 1

Rotoworld:

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Friday that first-round pick Todd Gurley (ACL) is "unlikely" to play in preseason games.

Even when Gurley is 100 percent, Fisher promised he'll rotate with Tre Mason, whom the Rams envision as "special," in Fisher's words. By all indications, the Rams intend to incorporate Gurley in as slowly and cautiously as possible, which makes some sense after investing a top-ten draft pick into him. Gurley should still emerge as St. Louis' feature back by midseason, but it's going to take some time. Mason will have a significant role, quite possibly for the majority of 2015.

Related: Tre Mason

Source: Chris Wesseling on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Friday that first-round pick Todd Gurley (ACL) is "unlikely" to play in preseason games.

Even when Gurley is 100 percent, Fisher promised he'll rotate with Tre Mason, whom the Rams envision as "special," in Fisher's words. By all indications, the Rams intend to incorporate Gurley in as slowly and cautiously as possible, which makes some sense after investing a top-ten draft pick into him. Gurley should still emerge as St. Louis' feature back by midseason, but it's going to take some time. Mason will have a significant role, quite possibly for the majority of 2015.

Not 'special' enough for them to pass on Gurley though. Tre probably isn't too happy with that 'compliment'.

Rotoworld:

smart move, don't let anyone tackle him til it matters

Keep the good news coming.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000508226/article/itc-live-whispers-gurleys-progress-encouraging

"» NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport is on location at the St. Louis Rams' facility with an update on RB Todd Gurley: "He's going through individual drills, he's running. he's jogging, and because he's so athletically gifted he looks normal ... the issue now is strengthening the quad muscles and all of the muscles and everything around the torn (anterior cruciate ligament). At this point it's not 100 percent clear if he's going to start the season on the field ... The Rams love where Gurley is physically, but they've got to make sure he's 100 percent healthy.""

No reason to start him before week 5. Let him use another month to get ready. Mason is really good and Gurley won't need to be rushed back.

• Like 1

I guess I'm in the minority. I want to see him healthy ASAP.

Why would you think that puts you in the minority?

That has nothing to do with the thought process of not wanting them to rush him back

Is everyone still seeing him going #1 in rookie drafts? Is Cooper or Parker or White or Gordon going #1 in any of yours?

(2 QB League | 12 Teams!)

Winston

Gordon

Mariota

Abdullah

Yeldon

Gurley

Cooper

Coleman

Parker

I took Parker w/ White still available (oops)

p.s. fwiw: We did have some vets like Alfred Blue available too (only Rookies noted..)

Is everyone still seeing him going #1 in rookie drafts? Is Cooper or Parker or White or Gordon going #1 in any of yours?

I got him at #4 about a month ago in a 16 tm league. I debated taking Yeldon over him there.

That has nothing to do with the thought process of not wanting them to rush him back

Not my best choice of wording. Should have said I'm in the minority that gets nervous the longer he takes to get back. Overtime there is something that says he may be further out than once thought everyone chimes in "Good. No need to rush him" while I cringe a little and think "####. Just get healthy already". Probably because I've been burned by a bunch of injured dynasty picks in the past: Michael Bush, David Wilson, Lattimore all took space on my roster without ever giving anything back. That seems to give me more pause than most of you.

I think it's comments like this that make it seem, I'm sure that's not the intent, that maybe he is in the minority. Nothing St. L has done or said about Gurley should lead anyone to believe they are rushing anything with him. So, saying there is no reason to start him until week 5 is kind of strange. There is a reason. St. L feels he's ready to go. They will play him when they are comfortable he's absolutely ready IMO. If its week 1 or week 10, we'll just have to see.

No reason to start him before week 5. Let him use another month to get ready. Mason is really good and Gurley won't need to be rushed back.

Not my best choice of wording. Should have said I'm in the minority that gets nervous the longer he takes to get back. Overtime there is something that says he may be further out than once thought everyone chimes in "Good. No need to rush him" while I cringe a little and think "####. Just get healthy already". Probably because I've been burned by a bunch of injured dynasty picks in the past: Michael Bush, David Wilson, Lattimore all took space on my roster without ever giving anything back. That seems to give me more pause than most of you.

In this case, though, Gurley's ACL was late enough last season that even an AP-style recovery wouldn't have him at full strength yet. I think that removes some of the impression of risk from his not getting 100% reps...we're still ahead of his projected timetable just by not having him on PUP.

If he isn't active and productive by the time players start coming off the pup (week 8-10?) then we can worry about a hitch in his recovery, imo.

Todd Gurley (knee) took part in team drills on Tuesday.

Per ESPN's Nick Wagoner, Gurley "worked on occasion with the first unit." Gurley is appearing more and more likely to be ready for Week 1, but he'll be on a snap count if he's indeed ready for the opener. Gurley will not suit up for the Rams' final two preseason games. Aug 25 - 7:56 PM

Winston

Gordon

Mariota

Abdullah

Yeldon

Gurley

Cooper

Coleman

Parker

p.s. fwiw: We did have some vets like Alfred Blue available too (only Rookies noted..)

W........O.................W

Winston

Gordon

Mariota

Abdullah

Yeldon

Gurley

Cooper

Coleman

Parker

yeah, the Abdullah/Yeldon drafters are going to feel like idiots in the long run. I like both those guys but not in the same league as Gurley.

Winston

Gordon

Mariota

Abdullah

Yeldon

Gurley

Cooper

Coleman

Parker

The guy who took Gordon is going to regret that choice at 1.02. Kind of like those that regret taking Sankey last year.

Crazy to think we had actual debates about Gurley playing at all this year, in this very thread.

Crazy to think we had actual debates about Gurley playing at all this year, in this very thread.

Looks like he could return sooner than anyone though. If the rams D is as good as expected, they are going to want to pound the rock and mason isn't that type of back. I have a feeling they are going to get Gurley involved sporatically early but as the season goes on, he should get the majority of the carries (as long as he doesnt suck). The rams aren't necessarily a team built for the future, they are good now. If they get some W's early, I could see Gurley getting eased into that starter role sooner than expected..

Many extreme possibilities are attached to Gurley. The threat of re-injury, not being quite the same, operating in an offense that doesn't look like it will block very well, stuck in a division with nasty defenses in it, there's a lot of dire worst case scenarios. But if he's as good as AP and stays healthy you have a once-per-decade RB that will give you a huge edge every year for 10 years in dynasty.

Since every sign has been good so far I think Gurley has to be the 1.1 pick in any rookie draft, regardless of scoring. As good as Cooper could be Gurley's upside is way higher and more valuable. Considering Abdullah or Gordon in front of Gurley is lunacy.

Rotoworld:

Rams first-round pick Todd Gurley is not participating in blitz-pickup drills at training camp.

Gurley is participating in some team work, but pass-protection drills involve a lot of contact and Gurley is still only nine months removed from ACL surgery. Not even being able to practice blitz pickups is a concern for Gurley's usage, on top of the limitations the Rams have already installed for him. Gurley will be a rotational player only until he shows he can protect Nick Foles.

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 26 - 10:00 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Nick Wagoner reports "the belief" is that Todd Gurley (knee) "might start getting carries at some point before the Week 6 bye," and then take on a bigger role afterwards.

Wagoner emphasizes the Rams don't have a "specific date" in mind for Gurley's return. To date, he's only been ruled out for Week 1, but it sounds like he could miss the entire month of September. The Rams have done their best to project an air of progress for their first-round pick, but he's yet to even be cleared for contact. It could be a while before Gurley is more than a bench stash in re-draft leagues.

Sep 5 - 6:50 PM

Actually what our difference in opinion was about was that you claimed a 8 to 9 month recovery from ACL was the norm. While based off what I have read the time frame is typically about a year.

If Gurley starts playing in October that would be at around 11 months from the injury. I don't recall anyone claiming that Gurley would not be able to play in 2015 back in March. If he had fallen in the NFL draft, which was a possibility I was considering at the time, that may have been related to concern about the injury causing teams to pass on him in the draft. No way to know but look at what happened to Jay Ajayi in the draft. It certainly seemed possible to me Gurley might fall out of the 1st round of the draft, and if he did I would think it was a long term injury related concern teams had about him causing the fall.

Obviously that didn't happen and Gurley was drafted 10th overall by the Rams. So that removes most of the concern about long term health risk for me.

I did talk about some RB recovery from ACL taking longer than a year before those players returned to their previous level of performance as a possible outcome. Not that he wouldn't play, but that maybe he wouldn't play as well as before, or that it might take longer than a year for him to recover back to that level of performance. I also talked about players losing a step and never returning back to the level they played at before the injury.

We don't have the answers to that yet. But there are positive signs that he is having a good recovery without setbacks.

The point about the difference between 9 months and a year is that if it is closer to a year, that means Gurley would not be playing significant snaps until October or November. If it were only 9 months then Gurley would have been ready to play in August. To me that seemed to be your position, and that players doing so in that time frame is normal. I hope you don't think Gurley is a slow healer for falling short of that (in my opinion unrealistic) expectation.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Nick Wagoner reports "the belief" is that Todd Gurley (knee) "might start getting carries at some point before the Week 6 bye," and then take on a bigger role afterwards.

Wagoner emphasizes the Rams don't have a "specific date" in mind for Gurley's return. To date, he's only been ruled out for Week 1, but it sounds like he could miss the entire month of September. The Rams have done their best to project an air of progress for their first-round pick, but he's yet to even be cleared for contact. It could be a while before Gurley is more than a bench stash in re-draft leagues.

Sep 5 - 6:50 PM

Geez.....drafted him last night thinking he would be eased in right away. Oops.

Rotoworld:

Todd Gurley - RB - Rams

Todd Gurley (knee) has shed his yellow no-contact jersey at practice.

Gurley said there's "nothing I can't do" in terms of on-field activity at this stage of his ACL recovery. Gurley has been ruled out for Week 1, and it's unclear how much he'll play before the Rams' Week 6 bye. The Rams are playing Gurley's return as cautiously as possible. Fantasy owners who drafted him can't be counting on Gurley to become an RB2 before October at soonest.

Sep 6 - 6:25 PM

Rams' Todd Gurley not expected to play until Week 4

Don't expect to see Todd Gurley make his much-anticipated NFL debut until Week 4.

The St. Louis Rams rookie running back, who is nearing the end of his 10-month rehabilitation from a torn ACL, isn't expected to play the first three weeks of the season, two sources informed of his recovery told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport on Tuesday. The team wants to play it safe with its first-round pick out of Georgia by making sure he's fully healthy.
Gurley has been cleared for contact drills by the team, and Rams coach Jeff Fisher said he could see an increased workload in practice in the days ahead.
"We're just going to build his reps on the practice field and we'll just see," Fisher said Tuesday. "We're going to probably pad up tomorrow, so he'll get a lot of reps tomorrow and then we'll back down Thursday and then go out there and have a fast Friday and he'll get a lot of reps. That's what we're looking for for him and we'll see how he is at the end of the week."
On Saturday, Fisher ruled out Gurley for the team's season opener against the Seattle Seahawks.
"I definitely would want to be playing, but I know it's going to be a long journey," Gurley said Monday. "You have to be patient and when the time comes it comes. I'll be ready for it."

Anyone know where he's been going in dynasty start ups as of late? I have one tonight and I have the 1st pick and was wondering if he would be available at the 4/5 turn.

Anyone know where he's been going in dynasty start ups as of late? I have one tonight and I have the 1st pick and was wondering if he would be available at the 4/5 turn.

It was a few months ago, but he went 23rd in the last dyno startup I did.

No way he makes it to the 4/5 turn. You'll be lucky if he makes it to the 2/3 turn.

No way he makes it to the 4/5 turn. You'll be lucky if he makes it to the 2/3 turn.

Yeah wishful thinking on my part I suppose. Thanks for sharing though

I picked 1 and I was so hoping he'd fall to 24th. He went right in front of me and I died inside.

I picked 1 and I was so hoping he'd fall to 24th. He went right in front of me and I died inside.

Who'd you take 1 if you don't mind me asking? I'm going Bell over Gronk ( no special TE scoring ). What ended up being available to you at 24/25? I was hoping to go Bell/WR/WR then Gurley but like you said he's climbed in the recent weeks and who knows if he'll even be there at my first turn.

Who'd you take 1 if you don't mind me asking? I'm going Bell over Gronk ( no special TE scoring ). What ended up being available to you at 24/25? I was hoping to go Bell/WR/WR then Gurley but like you said he's climbed in the recent weeks and who knows if he'll even be there at my first turn.

I took Beckham. I thought long and hard about Gronk, but he's been a bit injury prone and it concerned me. And I tend to think OBJ is special, once in a generation kinda guy (which Gronk also is).

This league is a bit different though, graduated PPR (.5 for RBs, 1 for WRs, 1.5 for TEs) and you aren't locked into starting anything in particular. Its basically QB, 5 Flex, K, D.

2/3 I took Amari and Kelvin (pre-injury obviously).