What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (3 Viewers)

God I love this guy. Carried my team through week 1 of 2 straight bad bye weeks for me. He has potential to be a tomlinson/priest/alexander type of per week producer the rest of the way. They know he is coming. They see him coming, but somehow the guy just runs free. My favorite play of this season is still when he basically took a knee when he probably could have scored his first NFL td a few weeks ago.

As soon as he gets more involved in the passing game, look out.

He's facing Seattle in week 16. Anyone care?
I'm sure the Seahawks care. They have to deal with this monster. FFers? Heck no. Always start your studs. Gurley is an absolute stud.

FWIW, he did run all over Arz & GB already. Those are pretty good defenses as well.

Gurley's pace thru the 3 games he's started would have him finish with;

294 carries, 1872 yds, 8 TDs

26 receptions, 151 yds

2023 total yds & 8 TDs

That's in 13 games. Yeah, he's the OROY.

The rushing yardage totals are likely unsustainable, but the TDs should go up as should the receiving numbers. St. L clearly got him more involved yesterday than they had prior, thanks to the bye.

dynasty.

mark ingam and brandon cooks. for gurley.

nope.
Hopefully you laughed that owner out of town.

That's an insulting offer in dynasty. It's not even close in a redraft.

Honestly, I don't think I could trade Gurley in a dynasty league. No one would pay my asking price.

offensive ROY?
If he keeps up anywhere close to this pace, definitely.
Cooper is giving him a run for his money, but Gurley at his current pace Is surely in the driver's seat.
I love Cooper and think he's terrific and will be a very good player in the league for a long time but Gurley is putting up terrific stats AND is largely responsible for 2 wins in 3 of his starts (two vs. undefeated teams). Cooper has torn up Bal, Cle, Chi, and SD (crappy teams) and had 47 yards vs. Cin/Den. Certainly not a slight on Cooper but its not like Cooper is putting the team on his back each week with the complete attention of the defense focused solely on him and carrying his team like Gurley has the last 3 weeks.

Cooper was pacing for like 90 receptions and 1,200 yards before the SD game, than he had his third 100+ yard receiving game in his first six, for the first time since Mike Ditka in 1961, which would make him a strong candidate for Rookie of the Year, in a normal season.

But no such thing as a normal season with Gurley. :)

Fisher has called him the best back he has ever had at this stage of his career (includes Eddie George and Chris Johnson).

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/22828/jeff-fisher-calls-todd-gurley-best-back-hes-coached-at-early-stage-of-career

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams coach Jeff Fisher had some flashbacks to his Tennessee days during Sunday's 24-6 win against the Cleveland Browns.

As Fisher watched rookie running back Todd Gurley carve up the Browns to the tune of 128 yards and two touchdowns on 19 carries, Rams fans at the Edward Jones Dome showered Gurley with chants of "Gur-ley, Gur-ley." It was a familiar sound to Fisher's days coaching Titans running back Eddie George and made him reminisce about a former Rams running back who used to hear similar support.

“A little bit, yeah," Fisher said. "I would’ve liked to have been around to listen to the ‘Eric’ chant as well, the Eric Dickerson chant. It’s good. The fans were great today. They helped today with respect to their false starts and the penalties and things like that. I’m sure they enjoyed watching Todd run."

Fisher might as well have included himself in the Gurley Appreciation Fan Club. After Gurley's latest 100-plus yard outburst in which he brought his three-game total to 433 rushing yards, fourth most of any back in his first three starts since the 1970 merger, Fisher was asked if he's ever coached a running back who is so good, so soon.

“No, and I’ve been around some really good ones," Fisher said. "Chris Johnson was outstanding early. Eddie George was outstanding early. I don’t recall them having the numbers that they had after three full games like Todd has.”

Since we're on the topic, let's take a quick look and throw Dickerson in since Fisher mentioned him as well:
In his first three full games as the starter, Gurley has 433 rushing yards, two touchdowns and averaged 6.4 yards per carry.
While certainly impressive in his own right, Johnson had 327 rushing yards, one touchdown and averaged 5.5 yards per carry in his first three full games in 2008.
George had 267 rushing yards, one touchdown and averaged 4.9 yards per carry in his first three starts in 1996.
Dickerson had 254 rushing yards, four touchdowns and averaged 3.7 yards per carry in his first three games in 1983.

Of course, out of that quartet, only Gurley was coming off a torn left ACL when he did it. And while Gurley is still working his way back to full strength, Sunday's win against Cleveland was his first game without a brace protecting the knee.

After the game, Gurley said he noticed the difference between playing with the brace and without it.

"It definitely felt a lot better," Gurley said. "Usually I'll be on the side just messing with the straps and stuff like that, so it definitely felt a lot better today."

That Gurley, who already has impressed his coach more than such former running back luminaries like George, is only scratching the surface of what he can do is an ominous sign for defensive coordinators around the NFL.

“[He's] just an animal," quarterback Nick Foles said. "The guy’s an extremely talented, hard-worker. His vision, when he runs, like I’ve said before, just watching him run, he’s special. There’s not many people that can run like that, that have ever played this game. So, he’s a young guy that keeps working hard. So, the sky is the limit to what he can do throughout his career.”​

Last edited by a moderator:
Gurley's pace thru the 3 games he's started would have him finish with;

294 carries, 1872 yds, 8 TDs

26 receptions, 151 yds

2023 total yds & 8 TDs

That's in 13 games. Yeah, he's the OROY.

The rushing yardage totals are likely unsustainable, but the TDs should go up as should the receiving numbers. St. L clearly got him more involved yesterday than they had prior, thanks to the bye.
Yeah, rushing yards seemingly unsustainable.

But just for fun, if he could average these past three week numbers X 16 (as you noted, he did it to ARI and GB, not too shabby defenses):

2,309 rushing yards, 267 receiving yards (2,576 combined yards).

* Plus, as has been pointed out, he is just one year removed from a torn ACL, and wore a brace in the first two of three games.

From PFTs Morning After column

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/26/nfl-morning-after-ryan-mallett-shows-he-just-doesnt-get-it/

Todd Gurley is the best running back in the NFL right now. Is it crazy to say that, just four games into Gurley’s NFL career? I don’t think it is. Gurley, the Rams’ sensational rookie, had 128 rushing yards on Sunday and is now averaging an NFL-high 110.5 rushing yards per game. Gurley has an unbelievable blend of strength and speed, and he’s also an extremely smart runner: Watch his 48-yard run against the Browns yesterday, and look at the way he scans the field, reads the defense and makes the decision to cut from the left side of the field all the way to the right sideline. He’s a special player just four games into his career, and he’s only going to get better.

** The league leading 110.5 rushing yards per game average noted in the article includes week 3 when he had 9 yards. In the past three games when he actually started, it has risen to 144.33.

*** On Gurley's two scores Sunday, check out Tavon Austin's blocks (especially the long one). Sometimes, he will only need one downfield block to take it to the house, because he can make 1-2 defenders miss or break a few tackles.

**** 2015 100 yard rushing games for the Rams - 2/16. Gurley is already 3/3 in his starts.

The list of NFL RBS with 125+ rushing yards in 4+ consecutive games (currently a dozen have done it, some good names), if Gurley does it Sunday against SF:

4 - Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, Terrell Davis, Marcus Allen, Otis Armstrong

5 - Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, Barry Sanders, O.J. Simpson

6 - Chris Johnson, Eric Dickerson, Earl Campbell

Forte was leading the NFL in rushing through the first 5 weeks with 438 yards rushing....Gurley in his 3 starts has 433 yards rushing.

I think this is the week that he's already being recognized as the best back in the game and nearly untradeable as you don't know what his potential ceiling even is.....

Forte was leading the NFL in rushing through the first 5 weeks with 438 yards rushing....Gurley in his 3 starts has 433 yards rushing.

I think this is the week that he's already being recognized as the best back in the game and nearly untradeable as you don't know what his potential ceiling even is.....
Agree to agree

I'm starting to think Gurley is one of the best RBs I've ever seen, period, not just in the game today.

He is the total package (what can't he do?*).

If Jim Brown and Eric Dickerson had a baby, and Walter Payton and Barry Sanders had a baby, and THEIR babies had a baby...

* Staying healthy is about it for concerns.

I'm starting to think Gurley is one of the best RBs I've ever seen, period, not just in the game today.

If Jim Brown and Eric Dickerson had a baby, and Walter Payton and Barry Sanders had a baby, and THEIR babies had a baby...

Brian Baldinger said it the other day. Some guys talent are so obvious it's impossible to miss. My mother could scout Todd Gurley.

Not quoting because this isn't exact. Something along these lines, though.

Brian Baldinger said it the other day.Some guys talent are so obvious it's impossible to miss. My mother could scout Todd Gurley.

Not quoting because this isn't exact. Something along these lines, though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9gJmVVu3MQ

I'm not sure it's even possible to contain the excitement over what the rest of the season could bring for Gurley. If the Rams can just manufacture any kind of respectable passing game to balance the offense out a little bit it's gonna be off the chains.

Just offered DT for him in redraft. He's considering...
No offense, but if you offered me DT, I'd let that trade sit there until it expired while I cried about poor Peyton's arm falling off the cliff.
OK but...it didn't stop Peyton from targeting DT 17 times last week and it could get even better coming off their bye. Plus I just lost Foster and his WRs are a trainwreck. But if he turns it down, no worries.

I think it's just great to see an RB come into the league and fulfill the expectations as a bellcow back.

BTW, I saw an offer for him today (to the worst team in the league, worst by a mile, who has Gurley and pretty much nothing else):

Gurley

for

Brandin Cooks, Doug Martin and a 2016 1st round rookie pick

Most yards after contact per rush this season. Min of 70 carries.

Gurley 2.65

CJ2K 2.59

Ivory 2.56

Randle 2.43

Martin 2.36

Imagine if he wasn't recovering from knee surgery.

Spike said:
I think it's just great to see an RB come into the league and fulfill the expectations as a bellcow back.

BTW, I saw an offer for him today (to the worst team in the league, worst by a mile, who has Gurley and pretty much nothing else):

Gurley

for

Brandin Cooks, Doug Martin and a 2016 1st round rookie pick
Awful

Gurley is untouchable at this point for me. There simply is no one else I would want in a dynasty league and I believe that you should always get the best player in any deal.

The greatest feeling as a dynasty owner is having a player of this caliber at the beginning of his career.
I had Portis, Tomlinson, Larry and Chris Johnson during their rookie seasons and at the same time. Neither can compare to how I feel about Gurley today!

I promise this isn't a veiled ac question; just spitballing. Would Jeremy hill plus Julio Jones or another top 5 WR get it done?

I ask because I know, as a Gurley owner, I don't want to sell him, but at some point he would have to be peeled from my hands because someone wants him more.

I promise this isn't a veiled ac question; just spitballing. Would Jeremy hill plus Julio Jones or another top 5 WR get it done?

I ask because I know, as a Gurley owner, I don't want to sell him, but at some point he would have to be peeled from my hands because someone wants him more.
I own Julio in a dynasty and tried to move him straight up for Gurley in the offseason but couldn't get it done. Obviously now Gurley would cost more, so i'd give Julio + a similar RB to Hill all day to get Gurley.

There are just so few elite young RB's (Gurley/Bell really the only ones), whereas there are quite a few elite young WR's.

Not for me, I gave up Antonio Brown for the right to draft Gurley. I gave up a stud WR who could be argued as the #1 WR in the NFL, I then passed up some good players to draft Gurley. The suffering I went through as I watched him get injured while at Georgia, I lost months of sleep over it. All that pain and suffering I went through. I must be paid for ALL of my pain and suffering too!

Tex

Do people really think if both Gurley and Chubb were healthy that Chubb would outperform Gurley at the NFL level?

There was a time (long ago) when Mason owners thought he would still be a big part of the gameplan every week and that the Rams didnt need Gurley. Not until year two they said. He will be eased in they said. Mason is not going to disappear they said. I didnt even bother making the Mason owner a deal in my dynasty league. I knew once the wheels started turning on Gurley, he would see the writing on the wall. Guess who got Mason for free? Not because I want a handcuff. But because I think the Rams move him next year.

There was a time (long ago) when Mason owners thought he would still be a big part of the gameplan every week and that the Rams didnt need Gurley. Not until year two they said. He will be eased in they said. Mason is not going to disappear they said. I didnt even bother making the Mason owner a deal in my dynasty league. I knew once the wheels started turning on Gurley, he would see the writing on the wall. Guess who got Mason for free? Not because I want a handcuff. But because I think the Rams move him next year.
Cool story bro.

yeah i never understood the easing Gurley in part. Either he was healthy enough to play or he wasn't, and once he was healthy he would be be so far superior in talent it would make Mason irrelevant.

yeah i never understood the easing Gurley in part. Either he was healthy enough to play or he wasn't, and once he was healthy he would be be so far superior in talent it would make Mason irrelevant.
I'm actually glad this came up again. I'd like to add Mason because I think he's a talented RB. Weather or not he gets a chance on a another team or doesn't matter a whole lot to me. I see value in him as a Gurley handcuff in that offense. The price up to know however has been absurd for the reasons above.

I'm going to make another run at him. I'd imagine the price has come down a lot.

Do people really think if both Gurley and Chubb were healthy that Chubb would outperform Gurley at the NFL level?
Do we take the bias of NFL play and Chubb's shredded knee out of the conversation in this hypothetical?

We know much more information about Gurley vs Chubb. Gurley in the NFL, more data from college, came back from the knee.

We don't know how Chubb will respond from the knee or play in the NFL.

However, Nick Chubb's freshman season>>>Gurley's freshman season.

Do we take the bias of NFL play and Chubb's shredded knee out of the conversation in this hypothetical?

We know much more information about Gurley vs Chubb. Gurley in the NFL, more data from college, came back from the knee.

We don't know how Chubb will respond from the knee or play in the NFL.

However, Nick Chubb's freshman season>>>Gurley's freshman season.
I just don't see it, if Chubb was really that much better why did it take an injury to Gurley for him to be the bell cow. Chubb is a great player but so is Gurley.

At the NFL level, I'm not sure Chubb could do what Gurley is doing. I just don't see it.

I don't mean to turn this into a Chubb thread I guess at some point this subject deserves it's own thread or not but I respect your opinion on the subject.

Tex

Here's the asking price for Gurley in one of my Dynasty leagues for those seeing what people are doing.

I've been talking to the Gurley owner in my dynasty about another player and as a joke I said I'll give you Jeremy Hill/Gio Bernard/2nd for Gurley. He said no as expected then I got the itch and really wanted him. I proposed all these offers which all were declined. I thought a couple of these was such overpayment that although he hated the idea of dealing Gurley he wouldn't be able to say no but he did which is fine by me.

DeMarco/Demaryius/1st rd pick/TWO 2nd Rd Picks for Gurley/NYG/Crosby

Arian/DeMarco/Demaryius/1st rd pick/TWO 2nd Rd Picks for Gurley/NYG/Crosby

DeMarco/Martavis/1st Rd Pick/2nd Rd Pick for Gurley/NYG

DeMarco/Martavis/Demaryius/2nd Rd Pick for Gurley/NYG/Jordan Reed

All of those are fine offers that I would immediately decline. Nobody would pay the price for this guy, it's like the Herschel Walker deal or something.

I knew he was going to be great. Had that feeling. And yet I am still sitting there saying "wow" when I see him play. This is the most exciting complete big back I've seen since maybe James Lewis came in. The combo of skills he has is crazy. I don't know how he's not the number one dynasty back. Even against bell or anyone else.
You mean Jamal Lewis?

All of those are fine offers that I would immediately decline. Nobody would pay the price for this guy, it's like the Herschel Walker deal or something.
I would have easily rejected those offers as well. Nothing excites me about any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread