What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (5 Viewers)

Now may be a good time to buy in dynasty.  At this point, can you name 5 dynasty RBs you'd rather have?  I struggle after naming 3.  Thinking of offering what projects to be the #4 pick in the 2017 draft for him, doubt that he'll bite.

Where is his value today in dynasty?  Or do you think most guys will just hold?

I can't see trading a top ten receiver for him, But maybe a guy could piece together a couple #2 type players and steal him at the moment.

Nobody is going to do a "steal him" deal in dynasty.  With his talent owners are going down with the ship if they can't get close to market value.  He's still a startable RB2 that will get you double digits or so in .5 PPR leagues and has more upside than anyone anywhere near him in the rankings list.  I wouldn't take a top 4 2017 alone for him, that doesn't even start the conversation. 

Two carries in the second half was a joke but making things even more pathetic was the fact his final carry went for 10 yards to the Panthers 7. Rams down 10-0 so most coaches would think OK my stud RB is feeling it and my team has a chance to get back in the game and it's first-and-goal at the 7 so I'm gonna feed him, right?

Oh, no not Jeff Fisher. He puts the ball right in Case Keenum's hands.

Pass.

Pass.

Pass.

In Keenum's defense the third one was right in Kendrick's hands and dropped for a sure TD but still Gurley had just busted off a 10-yard run and never got another touch inside the 10 again. The coaching on this team is nothing short of incompetent. Rip on Gurley all you want and there is blame on him to be sure but all you have to do is just watch any Rams' game (if you can stomach one of them) and it's plain as day to see that the blame for what's going on with him is all about the coaching and if he just had competent coaching he could be doing so much better than he is. That obviously isn't going to help Gurley owners get back the value they paid for him this season but it does explain what's happening. 

Personally, I haven't lost confidence in his talent. I just won't be drafting him as a RB1 any longer until there are significant changes made to the Rams' coaching staff. 

^^^^ Agreed wholeheartedly.   Also it is disgusting how many times Gurley is sent out into a route and has no one within 10yards of him yet Case doesn't look his way.  The only time this year Gurley has shown flashes of his capabilities is when he's been targeted on a short dump off and put in work.   Why Case would continue to ignore these opportunities is beyond me.   Put the ball in your playmakers hands in space and great things happen.  Instead they seem content to hand him the ball in the backfield and run 1 yard into a brick wall of pushed back O-lineman and defenders in the back field.     

Last edited by a moderator:
Was not expecting consistent low end rb2 production this season... If Goff gets thrown in there it could get much worse for gurley

Gurley is not doing himself any favors but i have to put Fisher down as one of the worst coaches out there today. I think i read that the owner loves Fisher and just signed him to an extension so expect this garbage for a few more years.  How he can not have a winning season with the Rams but still get extended is beyond me.  I feel that Gurley's best years will be wasted with this horrible coaching.  You have to put your playmakers in a position to make plays, like Austin, Gurley needs to get the ball in space.  The game plan is about as predictable as it gets.  And I have to wonder, either Goff is just no where near ready or Fisher is just dumb but i can't see how Case is a better option at this time.  God awful

Would you trade Gurley for J Howard ? (In dynasty)
No, I would not.  Gurley, horrible situation has top 5 potential, Howard is good but that's a very small sample size and Fox has been known to rotate backs so no, I would ask for more than Howard if you're looking to deal Gurley.

Last year Gurley, with just reasonable QB play was amazing.  Keenum is just flat out horrible and there is a reason why teams stack the box, Keenum has proven he can't beat them.

Ok so we've established that it's a multitude of factors leading to why he sucks. But again, I'll go back to the comps to Peterson, etc. Even on such a bad team and constantly facing 8 and 9 man fronts, these elite guys at least a few times a season break that wall and once they get to the second level--they's no one to stop them. He should be taking a few long distance runs to the house this season. But he hasn't done jack. I've only watched th London game but I didn't see anything at all special about him. He's a jag.

And there is no way you play him this week against the Jets. What a waste. I should have listened to my gut. Look at his last 8 games last year: 3.9 per rush and 66 yards a game. The info was right there for us to see. 

Now may be a good time to buy in dynasty.  At this point, can you name 5 dynasty RBs you'd rather have?  I struggle after naming 3.  Thinking of offering what projects to be the #4 pick in the 2017 draft for him, doubt that he'll bite.
judging by my league people agree because i'm getting deluged with crap offers for him

Saying Gurley isn't as good as Peterson or Sanders, arguably two of the 3 or 4 greatest RBs of all time is hardly a knock on Gurley.

Saying Gurley is a JAG is well .. a rather silly thing to say. And I'll just leave it at that. 

The few times when the Rams have called plays to get the ball to Gurley in space have made it abundantly clear how special a talent Gurley is. Calling plays that ask him to slam his way into 8-man fronts time after time and then criticize him for not gaining more than 2 or 3 yards at a clip is pretty ridiculous. Again, I agree there are times Gurley can be doing more even with the rudimentary calls he is being asked to perform. He has missed some holes at times without question. But I can't recall too many times when Peterson or Sanders, for example, were reduced to afterthoughts in close games like Gurley repeatedly has been of late.

Again, I think there are a number of factors that are contributing to the mess that has been Todd Gurley's 2016 fantasy season. I do not think Gurley is without blame here. But to say he stinks or sucks or to place the blame directly on him first tells me the people doing that are not watching him or the Rams' games because if they were they would see Gurley is not the one responsible for the issues he's having. You can see by what he's doing as a receiver lately that there are plays he's making and how productive he can be when he's allowed to actually get the ball in a position to make plays. The problem is he's being held back by a coaching staff that simply refuses to put him in the best position possible to succeed. 

If you wish to blame Gurley for that be my guest. As I said before I haven't lost faith in his talent. I'll continue to target him in every draft I'll be in every year he's available. I'll just assess his value differently as long as Jeff Fisher remains the Rams' head coach. 

Saying Gurley isn't as good as Peterson or Sanders, arguably two of the 3 or 4 greatest RBs of all time is hardly a knock on Gurley.

Saying Gurley is a JAG is well .. a rather silly thing to say. And I'll just leave it at that. 

The few times when the Rams have called plays to get the ball to Gurley in space have made it abundantly clear how special a talent Gurley is. Calling plays that ask him to slam his way into 8-man fronts time after time and then criticize him for not gaining more than 2 or 3 yards at a clip is pretty ridiculous. Again, I agree there are times Gurley can be doing more even with the rudimentary calls he is being asked to perform. He has missed some holes at times without question. But I can't recall too many times when Peterson or Sanders, for example, were reduced to afterthoughts in close games like Gurley repeatedly has been of late.

Again, I think there are a number of factors that are contributing to the mess that has been Todd Gurley's 2016 fantasy season. I do not think Gurley is without blame here. But to say he stinks or sucks or to place the blame directly on him first tells me the people doing that are not watching him or the Rams' games because if they were they would see Gurley is not the one responsible for the issues he's having. You can see by what he's doing as a receiver lately that there are plays he's making and how productive he can be when he's allowed to actually get the ball in a position to make plays. The problem is he's being held back by a coaching staff that simply refuses to put him in the best position possible to succeed. 

If you wish to blame Gurley for that be my guest. As I said before I haven't lost faith in his talent. I'll continue to target him in every draft I'll be in every year he's available. I'll just assess his value differently as long as Jeff Fisher remains the Rams' head coach. 
Couldn't agree more.  Great post!

Every league is different and Gurley's value in PPR has definitely been superior than standard leagues. In PPR he's been much stronger the past several games due to his enhanced role in the passing game. In fact, he hasn't had a sub-double digit scoring game since Week 2. And as far as not helping people win titles I have Gurley in my best league and I'm in first place there despite all his issues. Obviously that team has other players having much better seasons which is helping me but Gurley's receiving uptick has also helped offset his lack of rushing production so I'd say as long as he continues to have a role in the passing game I think he can at least be a viable RB2 most weeks in PPR formats. He does need to start getting back in the end zone, though. Even with the shoddy QB situation last season that's where he was really helping his fantasy owners last season and I think he can still do that this year even if the yardage isn't there. 

Gurley is not doing himself any favors but i have to put Fisher down as one of the worst coaches out there today. I think i read that the owner loves Fisher and just signed him to an extension so expect this garbage for a few more years.  How he can not have a winning season with the Rams but still get extended is beyond me.  I feel that Gurley's best years will be wasted with this horrible coaching.  You have to put your playmakers in a position to make plays, like Austin, Gurley needs to get the ball in space.  The game plan is about as predictable as it gets.  And I have to wonder, either Goff is just no where near ready or Fisher is just dumb but i can't see how Case is a better option at this time.  God awful
From what I gather Goff is waaaaay off. Fisher made a few huge mistakes leading up to, including during the draft. The pressure is on!

Tex

Got an offer for Elliot for Gurley and Benjamin. Feel like that's an overpay, but it shows how down some are on Gurley right now...boy could the Rams use a new coach, QB, and WR core...

Got an offer for Elliot for Gurley and Benjamin. Feel like that's an overpay, but it shows how down some are on Gurley right now...boy could the Rams use a new coach, QB, and WR core...
That's very unclear.  Do you have Elliott and received that offer for him?  And you feel that's an overpay?  Did you accept it?

he decided he didn't want to do it anymore. But long term, I think Gurley will be just fine, he's not exactly Trent Richardson. That Rams offense just blows right now. Have to believe that will be addressed this year

Yep, I have a feeling I'll be VERY glad that owner changed is mind. Benjamin hasn't even played 2 full seasons in the NFL, he's young and has one of the best QBs in the league. Gurley is a stud, this is a great time to buy low. But I don't think he'll reach his ceiling until the Rams get a good QB and passing game. Too easy to stack the line as no one is scared of that passing attack 

This is far from a no brainer trade. Benjamin is no slouch and will have better days. I would expect Gurley to get better in future seasons as well. 
Agree to disagree. If healthy, EE looks is a lock for Top 3 RB for the next 4-5 years. Gurley could rebound giving coaching or team change, but EE is a sure thing. He will single-handedly win you 3-4 games a year.  Kelvin is good, but you can find that a talent elsewhere. EE situation/talent is rare. I'd give anything for him in dynasty.

Been offered either Dez or TY Hilton for him.  Tempting after this season, but I need to hold.  Trade deadline in 2 days kinda stinks.

I'm glad Fisher woke up a bit and continued giving Gurley the ball vs the Jets.   That's a very tough run D and after a miserable first half Gurley had a very good second half and averaged right at 5 yds a carry.  Had Fish not been an idiot in the first half and not allow Gurley a touch when they were on the 1 yard line it would have been a good "rebound" game for Gurley.   

On this team with that line he must be a volume guy and wear defenders down to have any chance of success.   

I'm glad Fisher woke up a bit and continued giving Gurley the ball vs the Jets.   That's a very tough run D and after a miserable first half Gurley had a very good second half and averaged right at 5 yds a carry.  Had Fish not been an idiot in the first half and not allow Gurley a touch when they were on the 1 yard line it would have been a good "rebound" game for Gurley.   

On this team with that line he must be a volume guy and wear defenders down to have any chance of success.   
Yeah he probably doubled his ypc in the 2nd half. Week 9 Gurley had 2 carries in the whole second half so I guess this is improvement. 

Trent Richardson 2.0....and it must be miserable being a rams fan knowing the Jeff Fisher era has no end in sight. Worst coach in football

I keep reading that Goff will be better for Gurley. I find that a bit hard to believe, unless it means more dumpoff passes to him?

Trent Richardson 2.0....and it must be miserable being a rams fan knowing the Jeff Fisher era has no end in sight. Worst coach in football
Its starting to feel this way honestly.  Man I made some crazy trade offers for him before the season started too.

Now that is the truth.
Unless the NFL comes up with a new rule allowing defenses to play more than 11 players at a time I don't see how it can be. Defenses weren't respecting Keenum so it's not like they're suddenly going to start defending the Rams any differently now. It's going to be status quo for Gurley. Most of the problems he's been dealing with have revolved almost entirely around play-calling and usage. Honestly Goff can only help him. If he can perform better than Keenum than it can help but it still boils down to play-calling and usage. Those continue to be the primary issues killing Gurley. They had a first-and-goal inside the 1 against the Jets and Benny Cunningham got the carry (and promptly fumbled). These are the kinds of things Gurley owners have had to suffer through all season long. Completely inexplicable but entirely understandable when you stop and consider it's Jeff Fisher coaching the Rams.   

Users who are viewing this thread