Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

Speaking Thursday, Todd Gurley (knee) said he has yet to run this week but is still optimistic he will be ready for Sunday's game against the Cardinals.

"I think I’ll be fine, man," Gurley said. "Just taking it day by day recovering, resting, trying to feel better." Gurley did admit that if the game was Thursday he was unsure if he would be able to play. It ultimately sounds like Gurley will probably suit up but may not handle his usual amount of touches. If that's the case, he will be a mid-range RB1 with some risk for the fantasy finals. There is still a real chance Gurley does not play.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Dec 20 - 9:40 PM

im surprised this thread isnt filled with worried gurley owners.... despite what the coach said wednesday, everything is trending towards him sitting out the game.

13 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

im surprised this thread isnt filled with worried gurley owners.... despite what the coach said wednesday, everything is trending towards him sitting out the game.

Really?  Gurley was quoted saying he thinks he will be fine.  I think he plays as usual Sunday.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

If it’s inflammation he’s battling then it makes all the sense in the world for him to sit out practice all week so it cools down as much as possible. I don’t think that’s a negative trend moreso than what should have been expected all along after the diagnosis came out. It’s not like he’s coming back from a sprain or a soft tissue injury.

I'd bet if he plays, he gets a limited work load.....the cards are one of the worst teams in the NFL and the Rams are cruising into the playoffs.....you make sure you win, but you don't risk losing your best player.

Edited by Manster

15 minutes ago, Manster said:

I'd bet if he plays, he gets a limited work load.....the cards are one of the worst teams in the NFL and the Rams are cruising into the playoffs.....you make sure you win, but you don't risk losing your best player.

Considering they have lost their last two in ugly fashion, I would not say the Rams are cruising into the playoffs. 

They need to win these last two to not lose the bye (if they lose one and the Bears win out, the Rams are the 3 seed).  But you cannot risk the health of your best player, which Gurley still is.  The Rams should be smart and shut him down this week to get him healthy.  If they can't beat the Cardinals without Gurley, they are probably done anyway. 

44 minutes ago, iamkoza said:

I'm plenty worried but have not found that posting in the Todd Gurley thread helps that any.

I'll just add I don't share the positivity as some do that he is going to play in at least a limited fashion. Right now I"m more inclined to think he will be out.

As a Gurley owner in the championship; as much as I want him to help me win this week, I'd almost rather they just sit him if he's not close to a full go. I don't want to get stuck starting him only to see him get minimal touches/ possibly not even play for 2-3 quarters. 

Now, if he's healthy enough to start AND get even close to a full workload, he will 100 be in my lineup. 

As a life long Rams fan and Championship game Gurley owner I’m conflicted here.  But based off everything I’ve read and seen I say he goes.  The best indication of this is the fact he came back in and played a fair amount in the last game.  Every quote coming out of the team I’ve read gives me the impression the team understands the need to win big this week and get their mo-jo back, even Gurleys full quote.  If they rest him it’s week 17 which likely (assuming a win this week and they hold the bye) gives him 2 full weeks of rest. 

30 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Considering they have lost their last two in ugly fashion, I would not say the Rams are cruising into the playoffs. 

They need to win these last two to not lose the bye (if they lose one and the Bears win out, the Rams are the 3 seed).  But you cannot risk the health of your best player, which Gurley still is.  The Rams should be smart and shut him down this week to get him healthy.  If they can't beat the Cardinals without Gurley, they are probably done anyway. 

Yea, I get that they've lost momentum, and that's kind of what I was getting at....they've been cruising (not necessarily a good thing) because they've been so dominant up till now....I'd bet with a bye on the line they are a bit more motivated these last two weeks.

Edited by Manster

10 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

As a life long Rams fan and Championship game Gurley owner I’m conflicted here.  But based off everything I’ve read and seen I say he goes.  The best indication of this is the fact he came back in and played a fair amount in the last game.  Every quote coming out of the team I’ve read gives me the impression the team understands the need to win big this week and get their mo-jo back, even Gurleys full quote.  If they rest him it’s week 17 which likely (assuming a win this week and they hold the bye) gives him 2 full weeks of rest. 

I could see that scenario....Cards on the road then 9ers at home....in reality, they should be able to win both easily without Gurley....but if they struggle on offense....

Goff needs some confidence back. He needs Gurley to do that. That's how the Rams get back on track. Gurley is a full-go here. No half measures. 

Todd Gurley (knee) remained sidelined on Friday.

Gurley said Thursday that he didn't plan on practicing this week, and that's been true thus far. Even coach Sean McVay has been confident about Gurley's availability against the Cardinals, noting he "expects" the All-Pro back to be ready. It still ultimately sounds like he won't be able to handle his usual amount of touches, as McVay additionally said backup C.J. Anderson could potentially play a role "as early as this week." There's enough speculation to warrant Gurley a low-end RB1 with risk involved on fantasy championship weekend.

Source: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter 

Dec 21 - 2:19 PM

22 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

:mellow: 

Yeah, tell me about it. I have Gurley in a league in which waivers closed in Week 13, and my choice looks to be a either gimpy Gurley or Josh Adams. :(

9 minutes ago, squistion said:

Yeah, tell me about it. I have Gurley in a league in which waivers closed in Week 13, and my choice looks to be a either gimpy Gurley or Josh Adams. :(

Yeah I’m in a dynasty league and prob gonna lose to a guy that picked up Damien Williams and Ballage.

Week one I had was starting the likes of Conner, Gurley,  and Allen.

2 minutes ago, Bucky86 said:

Yeah I’m in a dynasty league and prob gonna lose to a guy that picked up Damien Williams and Ballage.

Week one I had was starting the likes of Conner, Gurley,  and Allen.

I have been playing dynasty since 2003 and this was worse year ever, although I am in two championship games this week.

I various leagues I own Bell who didn't make it back, Cook who did but was banged up until the playoffs were over, Hunt, Gordon, Conner who weren't there when I really needed them, plus Miller and Allen both knocking me out last week due to their unfortunate injures.

Officially nervous.  Still believe he plays but the late game thing puts me in a bad spot.  Had to move Chris Thompson into Gurley's spot and Gurley into my flex (have no RB's on my bench that play late).  This basically commits me to playing Thompson unless we get word way ahead and that's looking unlikely as McVay just said they are going to use pre-game warmups as the determining factor in him playing or not.   ####. 

10 minutes ago, oddsbodkins said:

I don't like this at all. I'm in a good position that I can swap in DJ or D. Williams. If he's active though, you've got to play him, no?

For me, if he’s active he’s in my lineup. 

46 minutes ago, oddsbodkins said:

I don't like this at all. I'm in a good position that I can swap in DJ or D. Williams. If he's active though, you've got to play him, no?

I think you have to start him if he is active. I can go with Carson at 8 on Sunday if Gurley isn't active, I just hope I'm not drinking too much at 330 so I don't miss the actives/inactives 

More people talking about their fantasy team then Gurley.

What does Ingram have to do with this thread?

Any new info on Gurley? I am also a nervous owner.
I see this thread get bumped and its no new info on Gurley, just another panicked owner crying about their options.
There are 15 other threads for that.

I am not liking this situation

Todd Gurley (knee) to be a game-time decision

Rams coach Sean McVay said Todd Gurley (questionable, knee) will be a game-time decision for Week 16 against the Cardinals.

Gurley didn't practice all week while battling knee inflammation. He'll go through pre-game warmups to determine his status for Sunday's game in Arizona. With Justin Davis' status also in question, newcomer C.J. Anderson could see a major workload in his Rams debut. Gurley's absence would obviously be a gigantic blow for owners competing in the fantasy championship this week.

Source: Rich Hammond on Twitter

Dec 21 - 3:37 PM

Anderson expected to start if Gurley sits

ESPN's Lindsey Thiry reports C.J. Anderson will start if Todd Gurley (knee) doesn't play this week.

This confirms earlier reports that Anderson is ahead of John Kelly. Anderson just signed this week, but he'll be on the streaming radar as the touch-favorite in the Rams offense. Justin Davis (questionable, shoulder) isn't expected to play Sunday.

Source: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Dec 21 - 4:25 PM

57 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Yep.  I will play Ingram if he is inactive.

Same. With the twist that my other RB will be Kamara. 

19 minutes ago, Waingro said:

I am not liking this situation

I dunno maybe I’m just an optimist but I like their approach. Rest it all week then warm up to play and if it’s good then play on it. If it’s bad then don’t. Makes me feel better that he can see enough Pt to make an impact. They won’t green light him to go if it’s not very close to 100%.

2 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

I see this thread get bumped and its no new info on Gurley, just another panicked owner crying about their options.

If you are looking for the latest info on any player take a look at Rotoworld http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football?ls=roto:nfl:gnav where Faust and others get a lot of what they post here. 

If you are on Twitter,  Adam Schefter https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter and Ian Rapoport https://twitter.com/RapSheet are worth following as they will have breaking news and the status of the best known players.

Edited by squistion
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

There's no new news. Ease up, hall monitor. Move along 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

The Mark Ingram discussion along with any other backup plans are very revelant to this thread. Espicially considering Cardinals vs Rams kickoff at 1pm (westcoast is bestcoast) so options will be limited for most owners.

• Like 1

Then if there isnt any news on Todd Gurley, you shouldnt be posting in this thread about things other than news on Todd Gurley, hence the rules of the board.

How does Mark Ingram matter to a Todd Gurley thread? I have no purpose for Ingram as a Gurley owner coming to this thread as many wont. So this isnt a thread about most owners and their lineup decision, it is a thread about Todd Gurley. Your lineup decision do not matter to anyone.

There is no replacement for Gurley and you wont find one, the guy you put in wont be Gurley.

The rules state clearly lineup decisions about your team are not to be discussed here. They have a spot for that on this forum.

Edited by tackle for loss
  • Sad 2

35 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Then if there isnt any news on Todd Gurley, you shouldnt be posting in this thread about things other than news on Todd Gurley, hence the rules of the board.

How does Mark Ingram matter to a Todd Gurley thread? I have no purpose for Ingram as a Gurley owner coming to this thread as many wont. So this isnt a thread about most owners and their lineup decision, it is a thread about Todd Gurley. Your lineup decision do not matter to anyone.

There is no replacement for Gurley and you wont find one, the guy you put in wont be Gurley.

The rules state clearly lineup decisions about your team are not to be discussed here. They have a spot for that on this forum.

It shows other Gurley owners what other tier guys people are looking at and what strategies they have as contingency plans since its a 1:05 start time. If he played first game on Saturday or Monday night these said plans would be completely different. 

What exatly have your 2 last posts in this thread brought to the table for Gurley owners? 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Alright first thing first I can't get over this part of your post. No matter how many times I read this I have no idea what you are trying to say. I guess you are refering to my mention of a "back up plan." You are correct that if Gurley is inactive then of course the person you put in instead "wont be Gurley." But this is the fantasy championship for most owners so I do hope they can find a player to put into that RB slot and "replace" Gurley instead of leaving it blank.

43 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

The rules clearly state "Threads that are asking for advice on how you should draft or manage your team belong in The Assistant Coach forum."

So if a poster was to ask if Gurley doesn't play should I start Mark Ingram, CJ Anderson, or John Kelly? That would be frowned upon. But a poster simply stating if Gurley doesn't play then I have to start Ingram is certainly within the rules.

Edited by SkippaDaFlippa
missed a r in first. :-(
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

oh boy, here we go

guys been here 3 months and he's the hall monitor

eta: just for future reference, what was said above is fine. and during championship week we tend to be a little more relaxed on the rules. if you want news and only news I suggest you follow the links you were pointed to above

lighten up, Francis 

Edited by Dr. Dan
  • Like 2

Really need Gurley to play seeing as I have no other healthy RB on my team. My own damn fault, and have no FAAB money left. Nice thing is don’t have to make a decision! He’s in my lineup even if it’s a 0. 

I’m surprised they’re even talking about playing him. If he is anything but 100%, you picked up CJ Anderson just for this. Are there seeding ramifications at stake if they win/lose this game? 

Edited by Elevencents

1 minute ago, Elevencents said:

Really need Gurley to play seeing as I have no other healthy RB on my team. My own damn fault, and have no FAAB money left. Nice thing is don’t have to make a decision! He’s in my lineup even if it’s a 0. 

I’m surprised they’re even talking about playing him. If he is anything but 100%, you picked up CJ Anderson just for this. Are there seeding ramifications at stake if they win/lose this game? 

They can still lose a 1st round bye to the bears, but unlikely.

I highly doubt they lose this game without Gurley

Hoping he sits so it makes my decision of Goff or Allen easier

If Gurley were to sit, I'd start CJA with confidence.  Great matchup, veteran who's been "the guy" before, in shape, and is good in the pass/pass pro game.  

4 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

If Gurley were to sit, I'd start CJA with confidence.  Great matchup, veteran who's been "the guy" before, in shape, and is good in the pass/pass pro game.  

CJA? even though he was just signed? I guess I find it hard to figure out who is the start with confidence guy if he sits. Odd it wouldnt be kelly

eta: huh... I guess it is CJA. 

Edited by Dr. Dan

3 hours ago, SkippaDaFlippa said:

Alright first thing first I can't get over this part of your post. No matter how many times I read this I have no idea what you are trying to say. I guess you are refering to my mention of a "back up plan." You are correct that if Gurley is inactive then of course the person you put in instead "wont be Gurley." But this is the fantasy championship for most owners so I do hope they can find a player to put into that RB slot and "replace" Gurley instead of leaving it blank.

The rules clearly state "Threads that are asking for advice on how you should draft or manage your team belong in The Assistant Coach forum."

So if a poster was to ask if Gurley doesn't play should I start Mark Ingram, CJ Anderson, or John Kelly? That would be frowned upon. But a poster simply stating if Gurley doesn't play then I have to start Ingram is certainly within the rules.

Completely fine. This whole thing is unnecessary. Bring on the discussion 

50 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

CJA? even though he was just signed? I guess I find it hard to figure out who is the start with confidence guy if he sits. Odd it wouldnt be kelly

eta: huh... I guess it is CJA. 

I don't care what the reporters say. Starting Kelly over a rb cut multiple times this year who just signed. 

FWIW, the Steelers-Saints game has a 4:25 (east coast is best coast) start time vs the 4:05 Gurley game. So if you have later game options and he does sit, then you'll have a few minutes time to mull things over.

Tough play for a fantasy championship. The Rams have zero interest in helping us win our leagues and maximum interest in befuddling the Cards DC's game planning. Week 2's win vs Arizona was a Long time ago.  IMO there's no way they're thinking they have this in the bag even with Gurley given last week's uninspiring performance against a not scarin' nobody Eagles defense and the Bear's clunker the week before (different caliber teams, I know).They plain and simple have to win out, since having to win on the road in the playoffs against the Bears and Saints would be less than ideal scenario for them regardless than if Gurley's closer to 100% because he sat out the Cards game. 

I think he plays, CJA is the one that gets rammed (no pun intended) into the teeth of the Defense and Gurley gets more screens and dump offs like last week (13 tgts). The WRs may see more option plays and end arounds too to try and keep down the wear and tear on Gurley and Kelly will get worked in more too. If it does turn into a beatdown like week 2, then they'll rest him. Otherwise he's out there for what hopefully will be enough for Fantasy owners. 

If Gurley doesn't play, I don't know how this doesn't become a hot hand platoon. How bad can Kelly's pass protection be after a whole season of practice?  I would think CJA would be the bigger liability being new to the team. 

Have we ever had a fantasy MVP with this big of a question mark going into the championship game?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tackle for loss said:

Please show me the news about Gurley in this post.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Yenrub said:

I think you have to start him if he is active. I can go with Carson at 8 on Sunday if Gurley isn't active, I just hope I'm not drinking too much at 330 so I don't miss the actives/inactives 

I don't have to make this decision but starting Carson doesn't sound too bad to me.  I think Carson is going to have a huge game, might be just what you want to do here anyway.

Lucky me I have Odell Beckham, Julio Jones, and Todd Gurley.  One is out and a strong possibility all 3 sit.  :pointstoshirt:

12 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Lucky me I have Odell Beckham, Julio Jones, and Todd Gurley.  One is out and a strong possibility all 3 sit.  :pointstoshirt:

That makes for a rough championship week.  

If he doesn’t play, and it absolutely looking like it, think I’m rolling with CJA (confidence is about a 2 out of 10).

47 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Sub Odell for JuJu and I'm in  exactly same boat as you on what was my most dominant dynasty team this year and additionally I have two other Gurley/Julio combo dynasty teams.

And as bad as that is for some of those dynasty teams, I got it worse in redraft because I'm in leagues that don't let you do waivers after week 13 and injuries have hit so much I'll have two teams at least with literally no one to replace these players.

As much as I love football, I find myself wishing the season ended last week.

(Dynasty) I grabbed CJ off the wire. No way I trust him enough to start, but if he shows well the rest of the way I may have a legit Gurley handcuff for free. I never wanted Brown or Kelly. I don't do handcuffs unless I respect thier talent. I think CJ is better than Brown and Kelly longterm. So if he's out there in your league I say grab him if you have space.