Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

I feel bad for Gurley owners. I am lucky in the one league I'm starting him in the finals I have DJ to start in his place if he doesn't go. But I also am going against him in 2 finals so at least I can focus on that if he sits. But yeah, all these injuries, questionable and game time decisions on a finals weekend really stinks.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Rams "would like" to sit Todd Gurley (game-time decision) if there are "any concerns" about his knee.

As has seemed to be the case all week, Schefter reports Gurley wants to play while the Rams want to play it safe. More than just a normal pre-game check, it sounds like Gurley will have to prove he is near 100 percent in warmups to get the green light. C.J. Anderson will reportedly lead the backfield if Gurley sits, but John Kelly should also be involved.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Dec 22 - 11:56 PM

Wanted to use Samuels at TE but I just can't with all of this. Need a high floor so benching Gurley....never thought I would type that 

Man this is tough. All of my other options play at 12:00 well before his 3:00 game. I need some Nostradamus type vision to take place.

Tex

Opponent picked up CJ, but did leave Damien Williams out there for me. Was tempted by Marlon Mack or Jamaal Williams but looks like i’ll leave Gurley in and have to check in if he’s active to swap in Damien.

Probably doesn’t matter after Rivers crapped the bed for me last night.

3 minutes ago, Buckna said:

Opponent picked up CJ, but did leave Damien Williams out there for me. Was tempted by Marlon Mack or Jamaal Williams but looks like i’ll leave Gurley in and have to check in if he’s active to swap in Damien.

Probably doesn’t matter after Rivers crapped the bed for me last night.

Putting Mack in over him. No brainer. 

Mack is a top 15 play with a great matchup. I just don't see how Gurley is more of a flex play today considering he has an injury, the Rams have expressed a desire to rest him, they now have two capable backups to carry the load, and they should take care of AZ handily. 

36 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Putting Mack in over him. No brainer. 

Mack is a top 15 play with a great matchup. I just don't see how Gurley is more of a flex play today considering he has an injury, the Rams have expressed a desire to rest him, they now have two capable backups to carry the load, and they should take care of AZ handily. 

2 capable backups? A rookie 6th rounder who was 4th string 3 weeks ago and a guy who hasn’t played in months and didn’t get signed after trying out for a couple teams? They have 2 other RBs on the roster, yes.

20 minutes ago, Ray Barboni said:

Starting Damien Williams over Gurley. It feels gross, but I just can’t risk a the chance of a 2-3 carry early exit

Same. Gotta do what we gotta do. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cobbler1 said:

2 capable backups? A rookie 6th rounder who was 4th string 3 weeks ago and a guy who hasn’t played in months and didn’t get signed after trying out for a couple teams? They have 2 other RBs on the roster, yes.

Against the AZ run D? Yes.

LenDale White could probably come in and rush for 100 yards on this defense... in 2018.  At least that's the perception.  So I get the logic behind CJ.  "Anyone can run on the Cards but Kelly has lapses in pass pro so let's bring in someone that did the job capably for Manning and maybe Goff can get his game right for the first time in a month."

We'll see whether that logic pans out in a few hours.

Riding him with confidence. You know if he was even remotely on the line of not playing they would play it safe so it sounds like he’s healthy to the point you shouldn’t be concerned for any aggravation during the game. 

Live or die with the man who got me here!

Edited by Elevencents

11 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Per Schefter it sounds like he’s playing “barring a setback in warmups”

Oh crap. I don't want to start him because if it turns out during warm-ups that he can't play it is too late to find a replacement, but now I got to roll the dice and go with him. :(

####. I don’t have terrible options to

replace him with, but no one with his upside.

Samuels or Lindsay would have to be pulled for him...

Wish they would just decide to bench him...if it's close enough that you still physically need to see him warmup without setbacks at 3:30, why risk it?

If I bench him now, my best option is Robert Foster against a Pats D that knows he's their only weapon. Not appealing.

If I stick with him and have to bench him at 4pm, I'm stuck with Darrel Williams or...Trent Sherfield? Even less appealing. 

Then again if he plays, would any of us be surprised if he scores 20+ just from TD's and a few easy catches?

Edited by ConnSKINS26

26 minutes ago, squistion said:

Oh crap. I don't want to start him because if it turns out during warm-ups that he can't play it is too late to find a replacement, but now I got to roll the dice and go with him. :(

Big decision for me.  I could play Fournette or take a chance Gurley plays, and if he doesn't, then it's either C J Anderson or James Washington :yucky:

7 minutes ago, elitzer said:

i just think why risk it.arz is a cake walk.

NFL teams don’t look at it like that.  No game is a sure thing and the Rams need to win.  

There have been a bunch of big upsets this season.  There are no “easy” games.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

Big decision for me.  I could play Fournette or take a chance Gurley plays, and if he doesn't, then it's either C J Anderson or James Washington :yucky:

At least you got options. It is either start Adams hours before the Gurley warmups and get a few meager points or go with Gurley and get maybe zip (waivers are closed in this league).

1 minute ago, ILUVBEER99 said:

NFL teams don’t look at it like that.  No game is a sure thing and the Rams need to win.  

There have been a bunch of big upsets this season.  There are no “easy” games.

As the old saying goes, "Any Given Sunday".

Just now, squistion said:

At least you got options. It is either start Adams hours before the Gurley warmups and get a few meager points or go with Gurley and get maybe zip (waivers are closed in this league).

Go big. Risk reward easily justifies it for you. 

• Like 1

Just now, elitzer said:

well vegas agrees with me seeing it is a 14 point spread

When I used to gamble I'd just autobet any double digits divisional underdog. Worked out well throughout the course of the season. 

5 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

When I used to gamble I'd just autobet any double digits divisional underdog. Worked out well throughout the course of the season. 

Maybe that's why you used to gamble.

17 minutes ago, squistion said:

I’m in the same position.  My only bench option play early.  #### I hate this.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dickey moe said:

Can't believe I'm considering subbing in Elijah McGuire for Gurley at the last minute.

I wouldn't do that.  What are you options if you go with Gurley and he sits?

17 minutes ago, elitzer said:

well vegas agrees with me seeing it is a 14 point spread

Eagles were a 13 pt dog last week....   just sayin. 

20 minutes ago, squistion said:

Also if I go with Gurley and he sits I forfeit the game (illegal lineup per our rules)...

53 minutes ago, squistion said:

He’ll be fine. Rams need to get back on track before the playoffs start. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Maybe that's why you used to gamble.

Haha. No getting more upset at losing than I was happy from winning was why I stopped. Needless stress. 

My buddy and I did it for a few seasons though and were 60% usually; one season a little under 50%. 

Just something about the teams knowing each other well no matter how crappy the crappy team is that they would play them closer than an unfamiliar "good team."

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

Also if I go with Gurley and he sits I forfeit the game (illegal lineup per our rules)...

Bad rules in that league.  I can see having a rule where you can't start players on a bye, but that is ridiculous.  You don't know sometimes if a player is going to be out.  I've seen players labeled as out and it's not reported until the game starts. 

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

Horrible rule, so if there is a late scratch (like what happened with me with Engram a few backs) and you miss it you forfeit the game?

I would think getting no points would be punishment enough.

6 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

No offense, but unless those rules are chiseled on a stone monument somewhere, you change them in the off-season.

What a misguided anti-tanking rule that is. There are much better rules to put in place if you are worried about that. Late scratches happen, and late game situations like this Gurley thing happen. 

3 minutes ago, jeaton6 said:

I can go Chubb ilo Gurley guess that’s my best move

I benched Gurley for Kenny Golladay. If Nick Chubb was an option, I'd feel even better with that. I agree that's your best move--good luck.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Blonde said:

No offense, but unless those rules are chiseled on a stone monument somewhere, you change them in the off-season.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Bad rules in that league.  I can see having a rule where you can't start players on a bye, but that is ridiculous.  You don't know sometimes if a player is going to be out.  I've seen players labeled as out and it's not reported until the game starts. 

8 minutes ago, squistion said:

Horrible rule, so if there is a late scratch (like what happened with me with Engram a few backs) and you miss it you forfeit the game?

I would think getting no points would be punishment enough.

4 minutes ago, Mr.Blonde said:

Agreed all. Am the commish too. Leagues been running since 99.  Rule was put in due to some lineup issues a few years ago.  It’s on the top of this list to address this off-season.  But none the less its in place for this year. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

that really sucks.  I think Gurley plays but that puts you in an awful position.  You can't pick up a free agent RB?

Just now, Don't Noonan said:

that really sucks.  I think Gurley plays but that puts you in an awful position.  You can't pick up a free agent RB?

No.  I used my last WW money last week.  Have Riddick on my bench but he plays in the early game (had Brown too in case of Gurley injury but that fell to #### too). 

9 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Agreed all. Am the commish too. Leagues been running since 99.  Rule was put in due to some lineup issues a few years ago.  It’s on the top of this list to address this off-season.  But none the less its in place for this year. 

You may be OK in starting him, at least not having to forfeit the game.

Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet 9m9 minutes ago

From @NFLGameDay: The #Rams want to see RB Todd Gurley work out, but they are optimistic he'll be healthy enough to go today, along with some insight into what the focus is for QB Jared Goff.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I wouldn't do that.  What are you options if you go with Gurley and he sits?

Other options would be CJ Anderson or Alfred Blue