What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (9 Viewers)

He's good because of the o-line nothing more.  When he had a bad o-line he looked bad.  It's not Mcvay's system it's the o-line.  I said this when he was drafted he would only be as good as his line.
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/10/nfl-los-angeles-rams-todd-gurley-sean-mcvay-stats/

It has a lot to do with McVay's system.  11 personnel spreads the field out and Gurley benefits by facing fewer stacked boxes.  Per Next Gen Stats, he concluded week 16 with second lowest % against stacked boxes in 2018 behind Tarik Cohen among qualified RBs

Arizona stacked the box against him by far the highest % this season in week 2 at 52.6% and not surprisingly Gurley had his worst running game of the year averaging only 2.2 ypc.  That's why I asked why people assume he would perform better than Anderson but nobody around here is interested in that stuff anymore.

Take Gurley out of this system and OL and he's really the guy everyone saw in 2016.

It’s straight out of the trolling 101 manual, rule 3, right after the rule about bragging about how much money you have (which he did a few posts later).  It’s all classic stuff.  
Why are you still talking about me?  I guess keeping the Shark Pool 100% football only applies some of the time.

tjnc09 said:
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/10/nfl-los-angeles-rams-todd-gurley-sean-mcvay-stats/

It has a lot to do with McVay's system.  11 personnel spreads the field out and Gurley benefits by facing fewer stacked boxes.  Per Next Gen Stats, he concluded week 16 with second lowest % against stacked boxes in 2018 behind Tarik Cohen among qualified RBs

Arizona stacked the box against him by far the highest % this season in week 2 at 52.6% and not surprisingly Gurley had his worst running game of the year averaging only 2.2 ypc.  That's why I asked why people assume he would perform better than Anderson but nobody around here is interested in that stuff anymore.

Take Gurley out of this system and OL and he's really the guy everyone saw in 2016.
So much for the bolded theory above...

From Rotoworld.....

Todd Gurley (knee) remained sidelined on Thursday.

Speaking Thursday, coach Sean McVay claimed Gurley could play against the 49ers without practicing, but we would consider that extremely unlikely. The Rams could still lose the No. 2 seed with an upset loss, but Gurley's playoff health figures to take precedence over anything else. Interestingly, McVay said Gurley had a similar issue following Week 1. He struggled in Week 2. C.J. Anderson would be a mouthwatering DFS play in Gurley's absence. Dec 27 - 4:22 PM

Despite the pain, Gurley felt in the aftermath of the opener, he said that his knee felt better two days later.

Myles Simmons‏Verified account @MylesASimmons

Follow Follow @MylesASimmons

More

RB Todd Gurley, by the way, was back as a full participant in practice on Thursday.

6:00 PM - 15 Sep 2016

The Rams were so concerned about that injury they allowed him to be a full participant in practice before the game. :mellow:

Are you going to try to debate the other point in that post that Gurley has simply been a system back for multiple years or ignore it because there is nothing to refute?  

Last edited by a moderator:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/todd-gurley-is-in-the-right-system-at-the-right-time/

"As a consequence, Gurley has faced more six-man fronts on his carries than any other running back in football since McVay took over as head coach of the Rams. It has paid serious dividends. So far this season, Gurley is crushing it against those fronts, averaging 5.5 yards per carry. But against a neutral seven-man front, he’s been below league average at just 3.7 yards per attempt."

"Gurley is basically the same back he has always been since he came into the league. If you use broken and missed tackles as a proxy for talent,3 you can see that Gurley makes defenders miss when running against six-man fronts far less than expected."

"So Gurley is the beneficiary, not the proximate cause, of the Rams’ offensive resurgence under McVay."

Below league average.

Less than expected.

Beneficiary of McVay.

He's just another overpaid, replaceable RB.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/todd-gurley-is-in-the-right-system-at-the-right-time/

"As a consequence, Gurley has faced more six-man fronts on his carries than any other running back in football since McVay took over as head coach of the Rams. It has paid serious dividends. So far this season, Gurley is crushing it against those fronts, averaging 5.5 yards per carry. But against a neutral seven-man front, he’s been below league average at just 3.7 yards per attempt."

"Gurley is basically the same back he has always been since he came into the league. If you use broken and missed tackles as a proxy for talent,3 you can see that Gurley makes defenders miss when running against six-man fronts far less than expected."

"So Gurley is the beneficiary, not the proximate cause, of the Rams’ offensive resurgence under McVay."

Below league average.

Less than expected.

Beneficiary of McVay.

He's just another overpaid, replaceable RB.
Interesting. 

As a Gurley owner this year, I was wowed more by his production than how he actually looked.  Don't get me wrong, he looked really good, but not "best RB in the league" good. In other words, he didn't look like a RB that if you put him on the Giants, would produce like Barkley has, for example. 

That article was published on 10/19/18. For a more current picture, from Player Profiler:

• 2018:

Stacked front (8+ defenders in box) carry rate: 14.8% (#44 in league), 3.4 ypc
  • Base front (7 defenders in box) carry rate: 40.2% (#33 in league), 4.3 ypc
  • Light front (6 or fewer defenders in box) carry rate: 44.9% (#20 in league), 5.8 ypc

[*]2017:

• Stacked front (8+ defenders in box) carry rate: 16.5% (#52 in league), 2.8 ypc (#41 in league)
  • Base front (7 defenders in box) carry rate: 38.7% (#23 in league), 4.3 ypc (#23 in league)
  • Light front (6 or fewer defenders in box) carry rate: 44.8% (#14 in league), 5.7 ypc (#8 in league)

He has absolutely benefited from running against light fronts at 5.7-5.8 ypc on about 45% of his carries. No doubt that is a benefit of playing in McVay's offense. But with nearly 40% of his carries against base/neutral fronts, he has consistently averaged 4.3 ypc, much better than the small sample size used in the article.

The truth probably lies in the middle ground between @tjnc09's ultra-negative opinion of Gurley's ability and the opinions of the pro-Gurley posters in this thread. I do think it is fair to assume that if Gurley played in most other offenses, his performance would suffer, although I expect he would still be a top 10 caliber RB.

Stop, just stop.  That is absolutely asinine.  And I suppose AP isn’t one of the best backs of our generation because he had bad years in Arizona and N.O.   

The only thing your numbers prove is exactly how awful Jeff Fisher was and how ineffective he was as a coach that year.  
CJ Anderson, a RB who has basically been unemployed all year, accumulated over 300 yards of offense in only two games.

Except in 2016 when he was one of the worst RBs ever for 300+ touches.  
Your argument is undermined by his rookie season, which you conveniently ignore.

In 12 starts, he had 223/1097/10 rushing (4.9 ypc) and 20/183/0 receiving (9.2 ypr). That scales to 297/1463/13 rushing and 27/244/0 receiving over 16 games. In terms of fantasy performance, he was RB #3 in weeks 4-16, the weeks he started.

And guess what? That wasn't in McVay's offense.

Again, the truth lies in the middle between your ultra-negative take and the takes of the pro-Gurley posters.

So do you view David Johnson the same as Gurley?
Of course.  There were a lot of red flags going into 2018.

2016 PFF projected their OL #9; 2018 PFF projected their OL #27

Projected Vegas win total down from 9.5 in 2016 to 5.5 in 2018.  More wins, more positive game scripts

Massive drop off in QB and defense

Mike McCoy was fired from the Chargers in 2016, fired midseason from the Broncos in 2017, and not surprisingly fired midseason in 2018.  DJ's route charts in 2018 compared to 2016 were pathetic.

Put David Johnson in McVay's offense and everyone would talk about how he is the best RB in the league.

Your argument is undermined by his rookie season, which you conveniently ignore.

In 12 starts, he had 223/1097/10 rushing (4.9 ypc) and 20/183/0 receiving (9.2 ypr). That scales to 297/1463/13 rushing and 27/244/0 receiving over 16 games. In terms of fantasy performance, he was RB #3 in weeks 4-16, the weeks he started.

And guess what? That wasn't in McVay's offense.

Again, the truth lies in the middle between your ultra-negative take and the takes of the pro-Gurley posters.
I'm aware of his rookie season.  The proclaimed "best" RB in the league would never have a season that bad imo. 

Also speculating he would be "top 10" in any other offense seems like a stretch when in two non-McVay season's he was "top 10" and "complete garbage".  His success/failure depends on a number of other things independent of Gurley's personal capabilities.  He's a top 10 guy in Pittsburgh, probably not a top 10 guy in Buffalo.  Any RB in McVay's system is top 10, easy.

Coach Sean McVay said he would be "very, very surprised" if Todd Gurley (knee) isn't able to return for the playoffs.

The Rams earned a first-round bye, giving Gurley even more time to get ready for the Week 19 Divisional Round matchup. C.J. Anderson filled in more than admirably during Gurley's two-game absence, but this is mostly a one-back offense, and Gurley should return to his normal workload.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports 

Dec 31 - 6:20 PM

tjnc09 said:
I'm aware of his rookie season.  The proclaimed "best" RB in the league would never have a season that bad imo. 

Also speculating he would be "top 10" in any other offense seems like a stretch when in two non-McVay season's he was "top 10" and "complete garbage".  His success/failure depends on a number of other things independent of Gurley's personal capabilities.  He's a top 10 guy in Pittsburgh, probably not a top 10 guy in Buffalo.  Any RB in McVay's system is top 10, easy.
This is just a terrible take on Gurley. Awful logic

tjnc09 said:

In the games he started as a rookie, his performance was top 3, quite a bit better than top 10.

There is really no need to continue discussing this with you. You clearly have your mind made up. So I will agree to disagree with you and move on. 

CJ Anderson 66 carries, 422 yds, 6.39 ypc.  <$1m salary

Todd Gurley 272 carries, 1366 yds, 5.02 ypc.  ~$14.5m salary

So they have to bring CJ back next year right? That would have some impact on Gurley’s value I would think?

I think they were playing it safe with their all world RB. I seriously doubt he's suddenly going to enter a time share with CJ. McVay is no dummy. 

I think they were playing it safe with their all world RB. I seriously doubt he's suddenly going to enter a time share with CJ. McVay is no dummy. 
Yeah I dunno...

ETA not suggesting a time share just that Gurley’s production could possibly be impacted some

McVay said it was a cardio thing, he wasn't sure Gurley would be game shape to play his usual load. Betting next round we see a lot more of him. 

Tool said:
So they have to bring CJ back next year right? That would have some impact on Gurley’s value I would think?
Malcolm Brown is a FA so they got a spot open to back up Gurley but CJ might have shown enough to get a better opportunity somewhere else.

Until last season CJ Anderson had never cracked 200 carries in a season, college or pro. 188 max. Finally did it last season and was so unimpressive Denver moved on and interest in him around the league was pretty low. He has without question performed outstanding this yer but I think it's got to do with having fresh legs later in the season for a RB who's been at his best in few game spurts during his career. I believe the best CJ Anderson is one who has been barely been used all season and gets unleashed late in the season. I would not be the least bit worried about Gurley if he should return to the Rams next year.

I'm glad Gurley worked his extension out with the Rams, for sure don't want him playing with anyone else. What does appear obvious is McVay seems pretty adept at putting a running game together and while Gurley is clearly world class this team has the look of one of those teams than can get big time RB production, for at least a few game stretch, from what seems sometimes as just about anybody. I feel like if Malcolm Brown had remained healthy he'd have also been rolling during Gurley's absence.

McVay said it was a cardio thing, he wasn't sure Gurley would be game shape to play his usual load. Betting next round we see a lot more of him. 
Didn't they combine for like 35 carries? No way game plan was to give Gurley the bulk of those carries. 

Will be interesting if CJA gets enough interest to earn a decent check, but my guess is they bring him back on the cheap. 

ffmail4me said:
Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

Following Following @evansilva

More

Evan Silva Retweeted Next Gen Stats

Todd Gurley looked as good as new after 3-week layoff, yet was still outplayed & deservedly out-touched by CJ Anderson. #Rams #MemberWhenGurleyWasMVP

Evan Silva added,

Next Gen StatsVerified account @NextGenStats

Todd Gurley didn't seem bothered by his knee injury today. @TG3II averaged 12.08 MPH at the line of scrimmage on his rushes, his fastest in a game this season. He had 6 carries reaching 15+ MPH, a season high. …

5:51 AM - 13 Jan 2019

Seems like a lot of smart people in the industry think that Gurley is overrated.  Why is that?

Evan Silva‏Verified account @evansilva

Following Following @evansilva

More

Evan Silva Retweeted Next Gen Stats

Todd Gurley looked as good as new after 3-week layoff, yet was still outplayed & deservedly out-touched by CJ Anderson. #Rams #MemberWhenGurleyWasMVP

Evan Silva added,

Next Gen StatsVerified account @NextGenStats

Todd Gurley didn't seem bothered by his knee injury today. @TG3II averaged 12.08 MPH at the line of scrimmage on his rushes, his fastest in a game this season. He had 6 carries reaching 15+ MPH, a season high. …

5:51 AM - 13 Jan 2019

Seems like a lot of smart people in the industry think that Gurley is overrated.  Why is that?
And there’s easily 5 times the number of smart industry people who don’t.   Why is that?

It cracks me up that Todd Gurley could tear his ACL in practice and Vegas wouldn't move the spread for this week's game a single point.  The "best" RB in the league is literally worth ZERO points over his replacement.  Bookmakers are willing to accept millions of dollars in wagers on the notion that Gurley has no added value over a RB that was cut by two terrible teams this year.  The fact that people still defend his value after I pointed that out is simply mind boggling.

Are you admitting you can't actually defend Gurley's value with an intelligent discussion?  It really shouldn't be this difficult considering what you think of him.
Not in the slightest. I’m just regretting replying to you as this is pointless. You believe what you do and won’t be swayed (as you’ve made it clear, you think you’re smarter then everyone) and I’m perfectly confident in mine.  

Not in the slightest. I’m just regretting replying to you as this is pointless. You believe what you do and won’t be swayed (as you’ve made it clear, you think you’re smarter then everyone) and I’m perfectly confident in mine.  
lol you were the only who willingly responded to my post from Silva.  I then ask you to defend something YOU wrote and now all of a sudden it's a waste of time to respond.  

Users who are viewing this thread