Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

I think it’s entirely possible gurley is healthy enough to play, and Anderson just outplayed him in practice the last couple weeks. Nobody other than maybe 1 guy is suggesting Anderson is a better player, but it’s fair to wonder if Mcvay just trusted him more right now.

15 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Prorate?  LOL.  Have a nice day.

yep, no Gurley supporter really wants a rational discussion and I get reported for trying.  

Edited by tjnc09

2 minutes ago, need2know said:

Well this thread turned into a real turd

I guess this is the great stuff Joe wants in the Shark Pool.

2 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

I think McVay felt Anderson had just as much value there as Gurley. 

I refuse to believe that you believe this.

4 minutes ago, travdogg said:

I think it’s entirely possible gurley is healthy enough to play, and Anderson just outplayed him in practice the last couple weeks. Nobody other than maybe 1 guy is suggesting Anderson is a better player, but it’s fair to wonder if Mcvay just trusted him more right now.

I don't think there is much difference between 99% of the RBs, tbh.  I just think it's ridiculous how easily people dismiss a Gurley-Anderson comparison when A) Anderson outperformed him in the same Rams system, B) outperformed him before McVay and C) Gurley was essentially benched for him in the two most important games of the season.  

My whole point is put RB X with the Rams with that volume, system, OL, goal line opportunities and RB X is considered the best RB in the league.  

3 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

I refuse to believe that you believe this.

:shrug:

What's your reasoning for why McVay played them the way he did?

1 minute ago, tjnc09 said:

My whole point is put RB X with the Rams with that volume, system, OL, goal line opportunities and RB X is considered the best RB in the league.  

That's a fair point. That's what teams like the Steelers are considering when they look at James Conner. And it's the question most teams who might be considering drafting a top RB or acquiring one in Free Agency are asking themselves. I tend to agree. 

1 minute ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I can't believe this is still being discussed. 

Dude. There's no football in what feels like forever. This is what we're doing here... ;)

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

3 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

I don't think there is much difference between 99% of the RBs, tbh.  I just think it's ridiculous how easily people dismiss a Gurley-Anderson comparison when A) Anderson outperformed him in the same Rams system, B) outperformed him before McVay and C) Gurley was essentially benched for him in the two most important games of the season.  

To an extent I agree. I highly doubt Anderson would have been at, or even near, gurley’s level over the course of the season, but with fresh legs late, I can see him as a better option for a game or 2.

Just now, Joe Bryant said:

That's a fair point. That's what teams like the Steelers are considering when they look at James Conner. And it's the question most teams who might be considering drafting a top RB or acquiring one in Free Agency are asking themselves. I tend to agree. 

I appreciate that and I had the same frustrating conversations in the Bell thread too.  The Rams were literally graded as one of the best run blocking lines ever in NFL history.  McVay's personnel allow for Rams RBs to face fewer stacked boxes than the rest of the league.  No team should ever spend $14m on a RB.  Take that money, build a dominant OL, and hire a "bum" RB off the street.  It doesn't matter how talented a RB is if there are no holes to run through.

3 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

This was my argument below, and a similar argument I've made for keeping Nick Foles for $15mm less a year than Wentz along with 3 extra first rounders. 

But his argument is that CJA is at least equal to or possibly even more talented than Gurley, which is really crazy. If they cost the same thing, anyone taking CJA over Gurley is arguing to argue. It's hard to take an argument like that seriously, which is why I left, and was shocked it was still happening. 

If he wants to argue that Gurley is overrated, fine, but if he wants to argue CJA > Gurley, that's ridiculous. 

And if Gurley really was 100%, I'd think the GM who just paid him 4/$60mm is going to want some answers as to why a guy who averaged 5 a carry became a 2nd fiddle to a guy who was signed off the street.

3 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

If you want to make an argument that CJA at $1mm per year > Todd Gurley at $15mm year for the Rams, maybe it has some merit, maybe it doesn't, but it can be debated.

An argument that CJA is outright better than or = to Gurley is crazy talk.

2 minutes ago, travdogg said:

To an extent I agree. I highly doubt Anderson would have been at, or even near, gurley’s level over the course of the season, but with fresh legs late, I can see him as a better option for a game or 2.

Maybe Gurley should have never been at "Gurley's level" if he couldn't produce late in the playoffs.  Rams should resign Anderson and make it a RBBC next season.

1 minute ago, tjnc09 said:

Maybe Gurley should have never been at "Gurley's level" if he couldn't produce late in the playoffs.  Rams should resign Anderson and make it a RBBC next season.

If the Rams are gonna do that, they’d be better off trading Gurley

I appreciate that and I had the same frustrating conversations in the Bell thread too.  The Rams were literally graded as one of the best run blocking lines ever in NFL history.  McVay's personnel allow for Rams RBs to face fewer stacked boxes than the rest of the league.  No team should ever spend $14m on a RB.  Take that money, build a dominant OL, and hire a "bum" RB off the street.  It doesn't matter how talented a RB is if there are no holes to run through.

I agree with this. I even noted you could debate CJA at $1mm > Gurley at $15mm. 

An argument that CJA is outright more talented just does not hold weight. You want more proof besides my eyes? How about an NFL GM paid him 4/60 and CJA was cut and signed for under $1mm - apparently 64 eyes that make millions to see this, see it the exact same as I do by a gigantic margin. 

2 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Don't they still have Malcolm Brown?  He was looking good as a COP back before he got hurt.  If he comes back 100% I wouldn't be surprised if he's back as the #2....again.

1 minute ago, fantasycurse42 said:

But his argument is that CJA is at least equal to or possibly even more talented than Gurley, which is really crazy. If they cost the same thing, anyone taking CJA over Gurley is arguing to argue. It's hard to take an argument like that seriously, which is why I left, and was shocked it was still happening. 

If he wants to argue that Gurley is overrated, fine, but if he wants to argue CJA > Gurley, that's ridiculous. 

Again, how is this ridiculous?

Anderson had a higher ypc than Gurley outside of McVay's system

Anderson had a higher ypc than Gurley inside of McVay's system

Give me some kind of quantifiable factors that proves Gurley is clearly better than Anderson.  I am fully aware of Gurley's volume with the Rams and that he scores a lot of TDs (which are random and a product of the offense).

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

Don't they still have Malcolm Brown?  He was looking good as a COP back before he got hurt.  If he comes back 100% I wouldn't be surprised if he's back as the #2....again.

Brown is a free agent.  Assumptions are he’ll get an offer larger then the Rams will be willing to pay for a backup.  

If I am understanding your logic, does it even need to be Anderson? Couldn’t another guy do this, if it’s mcvay’s offense that is the key?

7 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Give me some kind of quantifiable factors that proves Gurley is clearly better than Anderson.  I am fully aware of Gurley's volume with the Rams and that he scores a lot of TDs (which are random and a product of the offense).

I already did - He had 1800+ yds and 21 TDs to your boy's 400+ and 3.  When is Gurley's bad numbers the system's fault, since you like to say it's the system?

Edited by JohnnyU

2 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I agree with this. I even noted you could debate CJA at $1mm > Gurley at $15mm. 

An argument that CJA is outright more talented just does not hold weight. You want more proof besides my eyes? How about an NFL GM paid him 4/60 and CJA was cut and signed for under $1mm - apparently 64 eyes that make millions to see this, see it the exact same as I do by a gigantic margin. 

Do you think Gurley signs that contract if Fisher was still the head coach and he continued to perform like he did in 2016?  I think Gurley got really lucky playing for an offensive genius.

Do you think LeVeon Bell was worth $14m after seeing the success Conner had this year?  GMs make a lot of stupid decisions and overpaying a RB is one of them.  The Patriots have been incredibly successful for nearly two decades - when have they ever paid nearly that much for a RB?

Do you think Gurley signs that contract if Fisher was still the head coach and he continued to perform like he did in 2016?  I think Gurley got really lucky playing for an offensive genius.

He looked lost last night.

1 minute ago, travdogg said:

If I am understanding your logic, does it even need to be Anderson? Couldn’t another guy do this, if it’s mcvay’s offense that is the key?

Correct.  Brown averaged 4.9ypc this season and he was mainly running when the defense KNEW he was running (large leads late in the 4th).  

I asked this question before and was completely ignored:

If David Johnson played under McVay in 2017-18 and Gurley on the Cardinals, who is easily considered the best RB in the game?  It would be Johnson and it's not even close.

6 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Brown is a free agent.  Assumptions are he’ll get an offer larger then the Rams will be willing to pay for a backup.  

I'm not so sure about that, especially post injury.

1 minute ago, JohnnyU said:

He looked lost last night.

well, Belichick's genius >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other type of genius.  It doesn't matter who is playing for the Patriots or who are the Patriots are playing, he is on an unprecedented level of football IQ.

Gurley is faking injury and performing under par to drive down the value of the 3 down RB so he can remain the highest paid RB in NFL history!!!!!!!!!!!! He doesn't want Bell and Gordon to earn more than he does.

11 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Gurley is faking injury and performing under par to drive down the value of the 3 down RB so he can remain the highest paid RB in NFL history!!!!!!!!!!!! He doesn't want Bell and Gordon to earn more than he does.

You don't really believe that.

Did this guy see a ghost or something? Take some bad drugs?

Why does C.J. Anderson need to mentor him and keep him focused?

He looks scared on the field. Wonder what happened.

18 hours ago, lod001 said:

CJ Anderson with a little slip o the lip in an interview just now when asked about dividing up the carries. '....Todd would go as much as he could'. oops.

NFL Network commenting on this exact line by CJ Anderson. They figured it out after a day. Probably reading my posts in this thread.

28 minutes ago, lod001 said:

No. I'm trying to one up tnjnc09. How'd I do?

Was he hurt against the Bears?  Why can't you answer a simple question that proves Gurley is capable of being trash while healthy?

Edited by tjnc09

5 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

Was he hurt against the Bears?  Why can't you answer a simple question that proves Gurley is capable of being trash while healthy?

I’ve seen Brady, P Manning, John Elway, and Barry Sanders look like trash, so what’s your point?  Seems narrow minded to me.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I’ve seen Brady, P Manning, John Elway, and Barry Sanders look like trash, so what’s your point?  Seems narrow minded to me.

Did their biased fans constantly lie about a make believe injury as an excuse?  

5 hours ago, Joe Bryant said:

I personally don't think anything more will come out. They've been clear about the (non) injury status. Clearly it wasn't a disciplinary issue as he saw significant playing time.

I think it's one of those things where real NFL and Fantasy sometimes don't connect. To the one guy that matters, Sean McVay, he seemed to put an equal value on Anderson and Gurley. That seems crazy to us as Gurley is the superstar. But coaches don't care about status. They look for players who can help them win. And I think McVay felt Anderson had just as much value there as Gurley. 

Where I think this will be interesting is if McVay puts the same logic to Jared Goff and brings in significant competition. 

I think Gurley has tendinitis. Since he was able to practice and play through it the Rams felt that they could avoid disclosing it. Now they will have a further incentive to keep quiet to avoid any risk of being fined over the injury report.

In matters like this, the most trusted authority is typically betting odds-makers who, unlike the rest of us, must back their opinions with large sums of money. The odds-makers are very good at getting information and evaluating situations like this because they have to be.  If you look at the Gurley performance props they were all set low as if Gurley was dealing with an injury.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Kwai Chang Caine said:

It may turn out more epic than the Foles thread was a few weeks back LOL!

Yea, but I don’t think the argument there was Foles > Wentz, except for one dude who I have on ignore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tjnc09 said:

so a bad game vs a good defense and he's trash? 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, electric Ape said:

In matters like this, the most trusted authority is typically betting odds-makers who, unlike the rest of us, must back their opinions with large sums of money. The odds-makers are very good at getting information and evaluating situations like this because they have to be.  If you look at the Gurley performance props they were all set low as if Gurley was dealing with an injury.

What are you talking about?  Anderson was expected to share carries and yards with Gurley.  

Edited by tjnc09

Rams are expected to have X rushing yards per game

Rams will now use two RBs instead of one

But the real reason Gurley's expected yards are lower is because of an undisclosed, mysterious injury he doesn't actually have.  Simple math can't possibly be the reason.

Edited by tjnc09

8 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

People who don't think Gurley is injured:

Rams organization

Sean McVay

Todd Gurley

Medical Doctor

People who think Gurley is injured:

same 5-6 random football fans on an online forum

And I'm the problem lol

4 straight posts all asking why people think he’s injured. And I repeat - WE GET IT. Your stance has been shoved down our throats. Whether I believe he is or not doesn’t matter at this point. It’s you saying the same thing over and over and over and over that makes my soul hurt. I don’t know why you’re so obsessed with this topic but ffs enough. Keep checking in for actual news and I just keep getting open hand slapped repeatedly. 

14 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

What are you talking about?  Anderson was expected to share carries and yards with Gurley.  

I understand that you live in a world where Gurley is a JAG “system player” and an equivalent talent to CJ Anderson. The rest of us live in the world of reality. In the world of reality, Gurley and Anderson don’t split carries relatively evenly unless Gurley is banged up

1 minute ago, Elevencents said:

4 straight posts all asking why people think he’s injured. And I repeat - WE GET IT. Your stance has been shoved down our throats. Whether I believe he is or not doesn’t matter at this point. It’s you saying the same thing over and over and over and over that makes my soul hurt. I don’t know why you’re so obsessed with this topic but ffs enough. Keep checking in for actual news and I just keep getting open hand slapped repeatedly. 

This isn't adding anything valuable to the conversation.

1 minute ago, electric Ape said:

I understand that you live in a world where Gurley is a JAG “system player” and an equivalent talent to CJ Anderson. The rest of us live in the world of reality. In the world of reality, Gurley and Anderson don’t split carries relatively evenly unless Gurley is banged up

World of reality - where the Rams, McVay, Gurley all SPECIFICALLY deny he is hurt.

If that's reality, what world is your unsubstantiated speculation from?

4 hours ago, tjnc09 said:

I guess this is the great stuff Joe wants in the Shark Pool.

It sure as hell isn't your trolling in this thread Bazinga.

I gotta be honest. I think he's hurt. That's a layman's take on it. Gurley isn't JAG. He's legit.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tjnc09 said:

I wonder if we can get more than 50 different posters in here speculating that Gurley is injured.  

How many posters do you think we can get saying Gurley is a system back?

:crazy: 

- Barkley

- CMC

- Gurley

- Kamara 

- Elliot

That’s my 1-5. I understand an argument for Johnson and I think Dalvin Cook might breakout next season. 

I doubt anyone who watches football will have 5 guys over Gurley in terms of pure talent. I left Bell out as he didn’t play in 2018 and IDK what he’s gonna do next season.