What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (7 Viewers)

I have nothing against him personally. I see he’s very argumentative in most topics (specifically here and the NBA thread and throws around that laughing emoji very often at other people’s opinions - which to me says he’s trying to show he’s so much smarter than the person he’s engaging with.

the shame is he is a smart guy and does make valid points but has no humility at all. That turns me off, but I’m also a “live and let live” type so generally don’t care.

here he’s now being purposely obtuse by highlighting the word “if” as if that’s some big gotcha moment instead of acknowledging what this latest story is actually saying. That frankly deserved his typical response of the laughing emoji.
Yeah, I've seen the NBA thread. I generally also do the "live and let live" thing and know how those threads can get when you're the only one with a contravening opinion to the maddening crowd.  

But yes, I think the "if" thing didn't deserve the A-ha! moment it got on his end.  

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports Todd Gurley has arthritis in his knee.

This explains what Gurley was dealing with throughout the playoffs. Gurley's knee wasn't 100 percent for most of 2018, but it was magnified after a setback against the Eagles in Week 15. Gurley is considering stem cell treatment this offseason to help with the arthritis. There are some career outlook concerns with Gurley's knee condition. The Rams are likely to scale back Gurley's workload in 2019.

A lot of saying the same thing over and over and over.  I’ll quit reading this thread until next season when Gurley is tearing up the league again.

I dont think he's done, but I think he may be done being a 300 carry back. 

Kills me. I havent graded a RB as high as him, likely in my lifetime. This guy was HoF calibre in college. 

Would be so disappointing to see him not get there, because he is an absolute freak of a RB. 

Even more disappointing, I never got to own him in our keeper or dynasty

I dont think he's done, but I think he may be done being a 300 carry back. 

Kills me. I havent graded a RB as high as him, likely in my lifetime. This guy was HoF calibre in college. 

Would be so disappointing to see him not get there, because he is an absolute freak of a RB. 

Even more disappointing, I never got to own him in our keeper or dynasty
Agree. He’s not done but he’ll never see workloads like the last two years ever again. We’re also destined to be dealing with “flare ups” at any time making it hard to trust him.  Going to always be waiting for what happened at the end of the season to happen again at any moment.    

Sucks. This is absolutely a time where I wish I (we) was wrong.  Honestly would have much prefer’d McVays poor play calling as being the real issue. As a Rams fan and Gurley owner this sucks.  

At this point there’s no reason to even respond to him. His “proof” will always be better and he’ll perform mental gymnastics to discredit anything that counters it. This recent example shows the ridiculous lengths he’ll go to be right.
There is no credibility to the stem cell treatment.  It was a hypothetical question asked by a reporter to which McVay denied it was actually happening.

$500 bet payable to the Chance for Hope Foundation.

A named source from the Rams confirms he received stem cell treatment before the 2019 offseason starts, I pay.  "Anonymous team source" does not count.

No confirmed treatment before then and a collection of anyone who has disagreed with me can join up and pay.

There is no credibility to the stem cell treatment.  It was a hypothetical question asked by a reporter to which McVay denied it was actually happening.

$500 bet payable to the Chance for Hope Foundation.

A named source from the Rams confirms he received stem cell treatment before the 2019 offseason starts, I pay.  "Anonymous team source" does not count.

No confirmed treatment before then and a collection of anyone who has disagreed with me can join up and pay.
Read my recent posts in this thread and see if I think you’re worth replying  to anymore and I’m not interested in playing word games with you. I never said there was any guarantee he’d get stem cell treatment. I’m sure you’d try and find a way to say you were right even if he did end up getting the treatment though. Even the way you word this bet and the parameters you place on it is so disingenuous to the overall point I was making, it only further makes my point about you. Look how narrow you made it in your favor.

Like I said if his knee ends up being fine, we hear no news on it going forward, and he’s out there in OTAs,  I’ll admit I was wrong.

You can now beat your chest and say I was afraid to bet with you. Have a great day.

Last edited by a moderator:
What RB doesn't have some sort of arthritis?  It's inflammation in a joint, and there are 100's of types.  

What RB doesn't have some sort of arthritis?  It's inflammation in a joint, and there are 100's of types.  
Can only go by the reports since nothing has been verified but given the possible stem cell treatment, it sounds like cartilage damage that’s causing the arthritis.

And this is why WR are more valuable Dynasty assets. 

It's just the recent wave of RBs and the relative lack of WRs in recent drafts that has the community thinking otherwise. 

fruity pebbles said:
Think everyone knows RBs have shorter careers but the top flight guys are league winners. 3-4 400 point plus seasons from a RB are worth most WRs careers.
I can see this argument.

In my view it's just too hard to catch that RB lightning in a bottle at the time when it aligns with everything else on your team going right. I'd prefer to be loaded up long term with WRs because I want to be competitive for a long time.  So many times I've had the best team and lost in the playoffs... To me it's more about being there every year and having my best players healthy for those playoff weeks to give me the best shot at winning titles, and I think building around young WR as my cornerstones gives me more cracks at it as well as giving me more chances of the player being healthy. 

I would also add that in PPR leagues there are always way undervalued assets in the pass catching backs like James White, Chris Thompson, etc. that are better at filling in for bad RBs than what you can get cheap at WR.  There are also waiver wire RBs that you can grab who are the benefactors of multiple injuries like Damien Williams this year. It's a lot harder to find WR that you can just plug in and get big points from. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/13/sean-mcvay-on-todd-gurley-arthritis-report-theres-wear-and-tear-in-the-knee/

General Manager Les Snead and head coach Sean McVay were both asked about the recent report that running back Todd Gurley is dealing with arthritis in his knee. Snead said nothing definitive about a diagnosis while adding there are “shades of gray of how fresh you are and what that reason is.”

“I don’t know exactly, medically, when you categorize what arthritis is, but I’ve never seen a guy on the medical report or on the injury report with that,” McVay said, via the Los Angeles Times. “And I think if you just said, ‘Is there a wear and tear? Was there a pounding that that knee took?’ Absolutely. … He’s the only one that can really talk specifically about how his body feels.”

Gurley missed two games at the end of the regular season with knee problems and his limited role in the final two playoff games led to questions about whether it was still an issue. The team and Gurley said it wasn’t and there’s no surgery planned, but there’s been talk of alternative therapies to get him ready for the 2019 season.
clear as mud - they are being vague for a reason imo. It does seem that the knee is not/was not right though.

Saw this on MFL:

(RotoWire) Gurley (knee) is expected to be available for the start of the Rams' offseason program April 15, Gary Klein and Jeff Miller of the Los Angeles Times report.

Analysis: The status of Gurley's left knee will probably be the biggest story line surrounding the Rams' offseason and that narrative appears to be starting on a positive note. Head coach Sean McVay declined to comment much on the subject at this week's NFL owner's meetings and specifically didn't touch on whether Gurley is dealing with arthritis or not, but he did mention the team has a plan in place to manage the running back's health going forward. Joining him in offseason workouts will be Malcolm Brown, who Los Angeles effectively decided to re-sign over C.J. Anderson.

Would be rather nice to see him participating in some form. The signing of Brown over CJ is also interesting, although it was much cheaper than the tag they had used on him so it was rather a no-brainer. #nervousgurleydynastyowner

Henderson is their 3rd RB now. I wouldnt count on Gurley getting 30 touches a game, but hes the guy

and I love Henderson
I hope so but the injury worried me last year and when I heard about the arthritis I got real concerned. This all but confirms the worst fears. As a guy who’s had 3 knee surgeries and arthritis in both knees (@ only 43) I know how this can effect things.

Would hate to see what looked to be an all-pro career cut short. 

Henderson was the 70th pick, it isn't like the Rams drafted a RB in the 1st round.  

Still a bit concerning, but having depth at the position is par for the course.
Fair, but teams don’t typically match an offer sheet (when cap space is extremely tight) for a favored backup then give up 2 3rd round picks to move up and draft another talented RB all behind the highest paid RB in the league if they were just building depth.  Lots of smoke is all I’m saying, there’s gotta be a fire burning imo.  I certainly hope not and will gladly be wrong here.  

Fair, but teams don’t typically match an offer sheet (when cap space is extremely tight) for a favored backup then give up 2 3rd round picks to move up and draft another talented RB all behind the highest paid RB in the league if they were just building depth.  Lots of smoke is all I’m saying, there’s gotta be a fire burning imo.  I certainly hope not and will gladly be wrong here.  
Agree, it's concerning...but when rookie drafts happen we'll have no idea on Gurley's health.  

There are signs of smoke though, you're definitely right on that.

Rams coach Sean McVay said the team could use more two-back formations in 2019.

McVay is basically confirming the obvious after the team somewhat surprisingly matched RFA Malcolm Brown's offer sheet and used the No. 70 overall pick on Darrell Henderson. More two-back looks would be a major departure for McVay, who has deployed "11" personnel almost exclusively in Los Angeles. McVay has also alluded to giving Gurley more rest. "As far as managing the workload, those are things that we talk about with Todd and as you continue to get educated on, is that something that we should do for the long haul or something that is or isn’t going to affect Todd most importantly and how does that affect our team." It sounds like Gurley's knee woes down the stretch last season were a wake-up call for his coach. We might not get the same sort of league-winning usage we saw in 2017 and most of 2018.

SOURCE: ESPN Los Angeles

Apr 30, 2019, 3:00 PM ET

I'm late to this discussion and not sure if mentioned, it seemed CJ Anderson was a really good fit in LA and produced well. I cannot imagine they would have let hime walk after how well he played. Not sure what he was paid but I cant imagine is was big money.

Also a 5'8 third rd RB sounds more like a gadget player than a contingency plan. Had they drafed a workhorse typ back it would feel different.

He's a lock for 1,100 yards / 8 touchdowns. Receptions are too variable based to predict but he'll have a ton of them. Small chance he has some severe knee issues. I'd make at trade for him if your team has a chance to win this season. Otherwise, I think I like Melvin Gordon over him for longevity's sake.

He's a lock for 1,100 yards / 8 touchdowns. Receptions are too variable based to predict but he'll have a ton of them. Small chance he has some severe knee issues. I'd make at trade for him if your team has a chance to win this season. Otherwise, I think I like Melvin Gordon over him for longevity's sake.
Well, Gordon has been hurt every season and has his own history of knee problems. 

Todd Gurley (knee) was asked if he could confirm reports he was suffering from a degenerative condition or arthritis. "All I can focus on is how I’m doing right now," he said.

https://twitter.com/adamlevitan/status/1124298027051683840
While we don't know the state of Gurley's knee, reading the tea leaves portends a drop off. The question is now how much less production we will get from Gurley. His overall RB 1 days appear over. In some cursory rankings I have seen, he falls between RB5-RB9 overall and still costs a mid to late first. Too bad- he's the type of player that is easy to route for; electric on the field and a quality person off of it.

"Nope, it's not overblown...they would be wise to be prepared because the knee has gone through a lot from college to now, so they have to brace for it swelling up again" - Glazer

"Nope, it's not overblown...they would be wise to be prepared because the knee has gone through a lot from college to now, so they have to brace for it swelling up again" - Glazer
Nice selective quoting.

Also, "I think the biggest test will be what happens early in the season. If he runs and it doesn’t blow up and the Rams are able to use him as a workhorse, then a lot of those concerns will go away." - Glazer

In other words, if he's ok he's ok and if he's not he's not.  Shockingly good journalism!

Nice selective quoting.

Also, "I think the biggest test will be what happens early in the season. If he runs and it doesn’t blow up and the Rams are able to use him as a workhorse, then a lot of those concerns will go away." - Glazer

In other words, if he's ok he's ok and if he's not he's not.  Shockingly good journalism!
You’re pretty sour about this aren’t you. Kinda wormy to ask me not engage you in debate and then try to call me out where you can. I’ll be putting you on ignore before I say anything too unkindly that gets me a vacation. Don’t quote me again. 

You’re pretty sour about this aren’t you. Kinda wormy to ask me not engage you in debate and then try to call me out where you can. I’ll be putting you on ignore before I say anything too unkindly that gets me a vacation. Don’t quote me again. 
Pretty radical reaction to having written a quote out of context.

If you had intended to sell in a dynasty at this point might as well stop trying. My league mates are convinced his leg is almost falling off and he's worthless now  :rolleyes:

If you had intended to sell in a dynasty at this point might as well stop trying. My league mates are convinced his leg is almost falling off and he's worthless now  :rolleyes:
Why are you trying to trade him?

If you were to trade him, whats a deal you would do? For example just talking about draft picks this year and/or next year.

I own him him in my big main league (auction keeper) at a solid value.  Can keep him for $41, top tier backs typically go in the high 50’s/low 60’s at draft.  Will be keeping him largely due to the upside and what I’d get back in a trade won’t be worth the upside he brings.   If he falls short, so be it.  He was the corner stone of 3 championships for me so I’m gonna stick instead of getting pennies on the dollar.  I also am of the opinion he’s got a yr or 2 left on the knee.  🤞

I didn't ask you not to engage me, I simply said I didn't want to discuss Jacobs with you.  You're set on your position with him and I don't feel it necessary to have you keep repeating it.

Why do I have to be "sour" to point out that you only presented 1/2 of his comment?  I'm sure when others do that you'll call them on it too - as you should.  I wasn't even picking on you nearly as much as I was on him - it's a nonsense comment.

Not sure why you're so riled up but I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

Why are you trying to trade him?

If you were to trade him, whats a deal you would do? For example just talking about draft picks this year and/or next year.
I traded Gurley a few weeks ago for Kelce and a 2020 1st that could go anywhere.  I think the "why" is obvious - to get out of the risk while there's still value to salvage.

I traded Gurley a few weeks ago for Kelce and a 2020 1st that could go anywhere.  I think the "why" is obvious - to get out of the risk while there's still value to salvage.
I asked the other guy why he was trying to trade him.  It seems weird he isnt happy his leaguemates are very low on Gurley, yet there he is trying to trade him likely due to his own concerns about Gurleys health.  

Well there is a reason you want to sell him right?
Well sure, we all read the articles coming out, so it makes sense if you aren't a risk taker you'd prefer to sell at a discount BUT...we are still talking Todd freaking Gurley here, he's not lost a limb and he's not dead yet. Like the above poster mentioned he sold him for Kelce and a 2020 1st, that's good value. But I had someone tell me I would have to give him Matt Ryan, Gurley, Julio Jones, and Njoku for Kamara. I think that's just absurd. Just my opinion, but its treating Gurley like he's worth a late 3rd rookie pick now 

His sell high point has come and gone, absolutely. At this point he holds more value for you than he does in any trade. You might be able to sell during the season if he has shown no signs of slowing down, but the arthritis bell has been rung. IMO in season trading has the most upside but the most risk too... he could be worth nothing at that point, at least nothing worth trading him away for. 

DLF has an interesting thread about selling high. Who are those guys? And many people suggest players who are already on the downswing. A poster made the comment that sell highs might be more:

Barkely, Hopkins, Zeke

the argument is that their value will never be higher. and that's probably true. 

Gurley was probably sell high last year

Users who are viewing this thread