What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (4 Viewers)

In 2017 and ‘18, Gurley had 279 and 256 carries, respectively. Those numbers won’t be cut in half, but it’s difficult to see a scenario where Gurley has more than 200 carries. Les Snead has already said this offseason that the Rams will limit his workload to keep him fresh

My projection for Gurley for 2019  200 carries for 10375 8 TD - 30 rec for 275 1 TD 

In 2017 and ‘18, Gurley had 279 and 256 carries, respectively. Those numbers won’t be cut in half, but it’s difficult to see a scenario where Gurley has more than 200 carries. Les Snead has already said this offseason that the Rams will limit his workload to keep him fresh

My projection for Gurley for 2019  200 carries for 10375 8 TD - 30 rec for 275 1 TD 
Ypc seems a little low even with the knee, 52 is barely half a football field!

WTH?...just replying to a post. If you don’t think Gurleys backup is enough of a relevance of topic then report it to the mods and leave me out of it. Sifting through this place to find relevant information is becoming harder and harder. People now seem more interested in ticky-tac pissing matches.
Calm down, it was only a joke.

Todd Gurley said he is "not hurt" but NFL Media's Maurice Jones-Drew believes Gurley will play less in 2019.

After speaking with Gurley, Jones-Drew said, "I think you can expect (22 touches per game). But he may not be on the field for 80 snaps. He may be on the field for 60 or 50 snaps." It would be hard to see 22 touches on 50 snaps, but MJD's point is well taken. The Rams aren't planning on using Gurley as an every-down player anymore. Instead, Gurley will hand over some snaps and touches to third-rounder Darrell Henderson, who McVay thought was "most dangerous offensive player in the draft." Gurley still offers plenty of upside, but his floor makes him a risky pick towards the beginning of fantasy drafts.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Jun 6, 2019, 9:58 PM ET

No chance Gurley gets anywhere near 22 touches a game in the regular season. They won’t risk his health. Expect 9-12 touches per game in the regular season. They can win any regular season game w/ Henderson as the lead back. 

It is interesting all the talk about Henderson when Malcom Brown is sitting there on the roster and the Rams matched the Lion's offer to keep him there.  Sure that was before they drafted Henderson, but I'm not sure Henderson will be the one that benefits solely from a reduction in Gurley touches.  I would expect Brown to pick up a share of those.

Speaking Tuesday, Todd Gurley said he was not overly concerned about his knee issues.

"I had bigger problems to worry about coming out of college," Gurley said, referring to his past torn ACL. "This is small." While probably technically true, Gurley's comments also ignore the effects of accumulation. There have been no shortage of worrying signs that his knee problems have become chronic. A mid-range to lower-end RB1, Gurley enters 2019 with a wild range of potential fantasy outcomes.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com

Jun 11, 2019, 5:10 PM ET

So at least hes admitting there's a problem. I'd agree, in the grand scheme of things arthritis in the knee is a small problem compared to an acl tear. That's like saying my leaky radiator isnt as bad as when I needed a whole new transmission. But okay. 
There’s just no way at this point he couldn’t admit there’s a problem.  But like I’ve said before, I believe long term this is a problem and will shorten his career significantly. But short term, 1-2yrs, I believe he’ll be mostly fine with a managed workload and maintenance program.   

No chance Gurley gets anywhere near 22 touches a game in the regular season. They won’t risk his health. Expect 9-12 touches per game in the regular season. They can win any regular season game w/ Henderson as the lead back. 
This is a significant undercall. Don’t see any likely scenario where this occurs. 

Rams coach Sean McVay "absolutely" expects Todd Gurley (knee) to participate in on-field drills at training camp.

Gurley has been shut down at OTAs, but that's part of the Rams' plan to reduce his workload. He'll be eased into training camp, and is unlikely to get in many preseason reps. Gurley has downplayed his knee issues, but the Rams' offseason moves are a threat to his every-down status. Uncertainty over Gurley's health has made him a potential bargain at his mid first-round ADP.

SOURCE: Los Angeles Times

Jun 12, 2019, 11:20 AM ET

enyce said:
Gurley says he isn't worried, Gordon says that Todd is good, Eric Dickerson says Todd is good.  I'll come back to revisit the hysteria that was this off-season after he drops 1500-2000 combined yards and another 15+ total TD's this year.
:blackdot:

enyce said:
Gurley says he isn't worried, Gordon says that Todd is good, Eric Dickerson says Todd is good.  I'll come back to revisit the hysteria that was this off-season after he drops 1500-2000 combined yards and another 15+ total TD's this year.
Where would you feel comfortable drafting him if your draft was tomorrow?

He's just about to become the steal of the draft somehow.  

I think he gets cut back from 25 touches a game.  But to say he's going to be seeing 9-12 touches a game?  My god.  Jordan Howard's team didn't even like him and he got nearly 17 touches per game.  

In the 2 biggest games of his career, he got 5 and 11 touches. I'd be way too nervous to take him in the 1st round at this time. Maybe if he shows some preseason action.

In the 2 biggest games of his career, he got 5 and 11 touches. I'd be way too nervous to take him in the 1st round at this time. Maybe if he shows some preseason action.
That will not be happening.  He played zero in last years preseason and they’ve already made it clear he will not again this yr.  

Dr. Octopus said:
Where would you feel comfortable drafting him if your draft was tomorrow?
Somewhere at the latter half of the first I'd pull the trigger.  Definitely anywhere in the 2nd.

Todd Gurley's trainer confirmed the running back is dealing with an "arthritic component to his knee."

"Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee," trainer Travelle Gaines told CBS Sports. "He's now at the year-five mark, all we're doing is managing that." Gaines also said he has not been told the Rams plan to limit Gurley's workload to keep him fresh, although their offseason moves paint a pretty clear picture. Gurley is a risk-reward pick early in the second round.

SOURCE: CBS Sports

Jun 17, 2019, 1:20 PM ET

If you were able to catch a Gurley fire sale its going to work out really well for you this season!

From FBG Email:

Source: Yahoo - Shalise Manza Young

Updating previous reports. Los Angeles Rams RB Todd Gurley (knee) is in fact dealing with arthritis in his knee after months of speculation. Travelle Gaines, who has trained Gurley for three years, suggested 'not one thing has changed' in regards to his client and that 'our routine has worked, he's been strong, he's been in great shape, he's done well.' Gaines went on to say the decision this offseason to have Gurley drop six pounds and trim his body fat from 10 percent to seven was not due to injuries and more to accentuate his speed. The trainer also said 'it's never been told to me' that the Rams plan on decreasing Gurley's workload come Week 1.'Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee, which is part of every surgery whether it's a shoulder, a knee, an ankle. He's now at the Year 5 mark; all we're doing is managing that. If we can pound him less in the offseason while keeping his weight down, working on his strength, working on his agility in short areas, that's going to give him a better chance to be healthy Weeks 14 through 17 when they really count,' Gaines said.

Rams are expected to have X rushing yards per game

Rams will now use two RBs instead of one

But the real reason Gurley's expected yards are lower is because of an undisclosed, mysterious injury he doesn't actually have.  Simple math can't possibly be the reason.
How about now?

LakeCowboy said:
If you were able to catch a Gurley fire sale its going to work out really well for you this season!

From FBG Email:

Source: Yahoo - Shalise Manza Young

Updating previous reports. Los Angeles Rams RB Todd Gurley (knee) is in fact dealing with arthritis in his knee after months of speculation. Travelle Gaines, who has trained Gurley for three years, suggested 'not one thing has changed' in regards to his client and that 'our routine has worked, he's been strong, he's been in great shape, he's done well.' Gaines went on to say the decision this offseason to have Gurley drop six pounds and trim his body fat from 10 percent to seven was not due to injuries and more to accentuate his speed. The trainer also said 'it's never been told to me' that the Rams plan on decreasing Gurley's workload come Week 1.'Everybody knew when Todd came out of Georgia that there would be some kind of arthritic component to his knee, which is part of every surgery whether it's a shoulder, a knee, an ankle. He's now at the Year 5 mark; all we're doing is managing that. If we can pound him less in the offseason while keeping his weight down, working on his strength, working on his agility in short areas, that's going to give him a better chance to be healthy Weeks 14 through 17 when they really count,' Gaines said.
For which side?

Just drafted Gurley at the 3.02 in a redraft in one of those little $35 best ball leagues I got for free...and wasn't thrilled about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
And so the real reason why Gurley had a total of 53 carries in the last 2 weeks of the regular season and the 3 playoff games was because he was too fat?

That's what you get out of this recent report?

I get that we are going to get no useful information out of the LAR staff, just like last year when Gurley was getting a greatly reduced workload in the playoffs despite nothing allegedly being wrong.  For any member of the Rams’ staff or a trainer to put forth something and then have FFers think it is any reliable indicator of Gurley’s condition or workload in the coming season seems kind of silly given the history to date.

Bronco Billy said:
And so the real reason why Gurley had a total of 53 carries in the last 2 weeks of the regular season and the 3 playoff games was because he was too fat?
Agreed. They can manage Gurley's pain this year, but at end of last year, and in the SUPER BOWL when they needed him most, he barely played. Color me skeptical and concerned. 

I assume they're telling him the best way to prevent further arthritis is to play at a lighter weight.

I keep seeing him go mid-late 2nd in mocks.  I pride myself on being risk adverse, but getting hard to pass at that point.

so they gave up two 3rd round picks to jump up 24 spots to nab Henderson and no one thinks anything of it?! The supposed best RB in the NFL sat out the SB? every time you put on a Rams game he was on a bicycle on the sidelines and that's OK?

I'd put Gurley on top of the do not draft RB mountain, up there with D. Cook, all Niners RBs, among others.

If I'm not mistaken Dr Dan had a pretty good summation of Gurley's knee in one of these threads, and that should be more than enough to scare anyone away from selecting Gurley.

point is, he could be really good as usual,  but he's just as likely to be riding the bike on the sidelines while you slam your beer mug into the bar countertop at buffalo wild wings because you've just realized you started him and he's sitting the whole game.

it's the maddening 'will he start or won't he?' thing you'll go thru every week. watching injury reports, reading up on him every.single.week. Let someone else deal with it. I wouldnt touch him at all, whether in the first round or the 12th round. 

there's only value there if you think he plays 16 games. 

I'll bet he plays 8 or fewer games and rushes for 800 or fewer yards. he's almost a decoy at this point.

I say this as someone who has a severely arthritic ankle that's the size of a grapefruit. Old basketball injuries and many sprains. everything around it is inflamed and tender all the time.  but I'm not a 20-something RB who relies on his legs. If a team doctor sat him during the biggest game of his career, as well as  the other playoff games, and they trade up 24 spots to grab Henderson, you KNOW the writing is on the wall for Gurley.

so they gave up two 3rd round picks to jump up 24 spots to nab Henderson and no one thinks anything of it?! The supposed best RB in the NFL sat out the SB? every time you put on a Rams game he was on a bicycle on the sidelines and that's OK?

I'd put Gurley on top of the do not draft RB mountain, up there with D. Cook, all Niners RBs, among others.

If I'm not mistaken Dr Dan had a pretty good summation of Gurley's knee in one of these threads, and that should be more than enough to scare anyone away from selecting Gurley.

point is, he could be really good as usual,  but he's just as likely to be riding the bike on the sidelines while you slam your beer mug into the bar countertop at buffalo wild wings because you've just realized you started him and he's sitting the whole game.

it's the maddening 'will he start or won't he?' thing you'll go thru every week. watching injury reports, reading up on him every.single.week. Let someone else deal with it. I wouldnt touch him at all, whether in the first round or the 12th round. 

there's only value there if you think he plays 16 games. 

I'll bet he plays 8 or fewer games and rushes for 800 or fewer yards. he's almost a decoy at this point.

I say this as someone who has a severely arthritic ankle that's the size of a grapefruit. Old basketball injuries and many sprains. everything around it is inflamed and tender all the time.  but I'm not a 20-something RB who relies on his legs. If a team doctor sat him during the biggest game of his career, as well as  the other playoff games, and they trade up 24 spots to grab Henderson, you KNOW the writing is on the wall for Gurley.
Actually it's one 3rd round pick, pick 99 at the end of the round, to move up 24 spots from 94 to 70

Some telling stats...

- Weeks 1-8 he averaged 21 carries, then it dropped to 14 for the next 3 weeks, then a spike back up to 23 for a week.  Why the spike?  Because they had a bye week and he got 2 weeks rest.  The following two weeks he went back down to 11, followed by 12.  Why?  Because it hurts, that's why.  Then he takes nearly a month off, comes back for 16 carries, and follows it up with 4 carries.  Why?  Because it hurts, that's why.  Then he gets 10 carries in the biggest game of his life?

Now here's the fun part - you're gonna have to draft him without seeing him perform in the preseason, because he can't afford to waste whatever he has left in those knees.  Also, you are going to be told he's fine by every Rams trainer and coach, because it's their job.  I will be passing him up for sure, unless he falls to about the 6th round, which he won't.  He is standing at the cliff's edge, but he is a trooper.  I can only imagine how sore he is after a game.

Tanner and Winz - I'm glad that you two feel this way.

I would take Gurley mid-second in a dynasty, but if so, I'll reach a little bit to have Henderson cooling his wheels and taking over some day, sooner or later.

Some telling stats...

- Weeks 1-8 he averaged 21 carries, then it dropped to 14 for the next 3 weeks, then a spike back up to 23 for a week.  Why the spike?  Because they had a bye week and he got 2 weeks rest.  The following two weeks he went back down to 11, followed by 12.  Why?  Because it hurts, that's why.  Then he takes nearly a month off, comes back for 16 carries, and follows it up with 4 carries.  Why?  Because it hurts, that's why.  Then he gets 10 carries in the biggest game of his life?

Now here's the fun part - you're gonna have to draft him without seeing him perform in the preseason, because he can't afford to waste whatever he has left in those knees.  Also, you are going to be told he's fine by every Rams trainer and coach, because it's their job.  I will be passing him up for sure, unless he falls to about the 6th round, which he won't.  He is standing at the cliff's edge, but he is a trooper.  I can only imagine how sore he is after a game.
This is a good post,.  Even though it is in no way what I want to see, it is tough to dispute what you are pointing out.  Still hope like heck that you are coming to the wrong conclusion, but its a difficult position to defend.

Users who are viewing this thread