What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (6 Viewers)

I have the 8th pick in a 12 team PPR league and have been giving serious thought to going with Gurley in the 2nd. most of the top tier rb's will be gone by 8 so I was leaning toward Hopkins/Adams there and taking Gurley at 17.  I am not too risk averse and I think that pairing would be a good start to my draft. I'd just have to grab Henderson a round or so earlier than ADP.

I have the 8th pick in a 12 team PPR league and have been giving serious thought to going with Gurley in the 2nd. most of the top tier rb's will be gone by 8 so I was leaning toward Hopkins/Adams there and taking Gurley at 17.  I am not too risk averse and I think that pairing would be a good start to my draft. I'd just have to grab Henderson a round or so earlier than ADP.
Wouldn't reaching for Gurley's backup kind of prove you are risk averse?

yeah didn't word that like I should have.  I meant I think I'm ok with the risk of Gurley because I think there is a big upside to getting him there.  I have been seeing Brown has the backup lead and then Henderson in some other places.

For those of you that have already drafted where has he been going? I have the 8th pick in a 12 team ppr league and have been giving some thought to taking Gurley in the 2nd.
Same here. And he will be there IMO. If we can somehow get Bell at 8 and Gurely in the 2nd I will be a pig in ***t!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gurley has been going at the turn or early 2nd usually. I'd probably take him after Chubb and Conner and before Bell and Cook.

Gurley has been going at the turn or early 2nd usually. I'd probably take him after Chubb and Conner and before Bell and Cook.
I took Gurley at 2.3 with my 10 slot in pretty standard redraft scoring.

It was an easy pick for me though because I was targeting him. Almost took him at 10.

Own Brown as a handcuff and someone else actually grabbed Henderson before I grabbed brown. I don’t usually own my own handcuffs.

I took Gurley at 2.3 with my 10 slot in pretty standard redraft scoring.

It was an easy pick for me though because I was targeting him. Almost took him at 10.

Own Brown as a handcuff and someone else actually grabbed Henderson before I grabbed brown. I don’t usually own my own handcuffs.
Brown is the cuff.   Congrats.

It's impossible to know who is Gurley's handcuff.  Sean McVay might not know.  Because of his experience in the system, Brown would probably start off getting 60% of snaps.  But Henderson is talented.  And McVay isn't going to stick with Brown if Henderson outproduces him.  Henderson could overtake Brown as lead back within the first half of the first game.  The handcuff will be determined by how they play.

Surprised he is going in the first round. I feel like he has been Bell curving his draft value. Initially he was still first round. Then there was talk of 2nd, even LATE 2nd, and now he is back to the turn again. I’m determined to go WR/WR so I won’t see him unfortunately. 

Surprised he is going in the first round. I feel like he has been Bell curving his draft value. Initially he was still first round. Then there was talk of 2nd, even LATE 2nd, and now he is back to the turn again. I’m determined to go WR/WR so I won’t see him unfortunately. 
In my FFPC draft tonight had the 7th pick, got Gurley at 2.06.  

i couldn't help myself and i took him 1.10.... (zeke fell to 1.11 so i could have had him too)

i feared the gurley owner from the past 2 years would snag him at the turn.... turns out i could have had him at 2.3 but oh well

• Sad
Reactions: SCT
Can anyone compare this situation to a previous one? Where a player was a top 3 for a few years in a row, in one of the league's best offenses, then there's injury concerns, coaches say they're "healthy", but speculation lingers, so they fall in the draft.

Can anyone compare this situation to a previous one? Where a player was a top 3 for a few years in a row, in one of the league's best offenses, then there's injury concerns, coaches say they're "healthy", but speculation lingers, so they fall in the draft.
Andrew Luck in the summer of 2017.

Adrian Peterson the year after his ACL Surgery?

Not exactly the same, but he lead the league in rushing that year and there was plenty if skepticism in the draft.  Not sure what ADP’s ADP was that year but I’m sure we could call Smartie in and... LOOK IT UP.

Nevermind then.
I laughed.

But still interested, Who would you LOVE to pair him with, if you had dealers choice of any of those pick 5 -14 range guys. 

Heres how our league ended up after the first 4 RBs went off the board 

Chubb, Conner, DJ, Mahomes, Hopkins, Hill, Adams, Julio, Cook, Bell, Gurley, Beckham, Thomas, Mixon, Kelce.

Who does gurley pair the best with as an early second rounder?

dahabi said:
There's way more to it than that just what you listed. He was held back in the biggest game of the year, there was talk of expirimental procedures being used to help, talk of an arthritic condition in his knee, a premium pick spent on a rookie RB, talk about "managing his workload" to keep him fresh and healthy, a drop in weight to accomplish the same thing, and no ability to see how healthy he looks since he did not play in PS or really practice much - all sprinkled in there are well.

If you think there's no risk, sobeit. It's quite possible that pays off for you of course. He is getting discounted at least which helps counter some of the risk at least.

$1K to the first person to post actual footage of the Lochness Monster, the Abominable Snowman, or Gurley practicing in pads

There's way more to it than that just what you listed. He was held back in the biggest game of the year, there was talk of expirimental procedures being used to help, talk of an arthritic condition in his knee, a premium pick spent on a rookie RB, talk about "managing his workload" to keep him fresh and healthy, a drop in weight to accomplish the same thing, and no ability to see how healthy he looks since he did not play in PS or really practice much - all sprinkled in there are well.

If you think there's no risk, sobeit. It's quite possible that pays off for you of course. He is getting discounted at least which helps counter some of the risk at least.
I certainly never said there was no risk involved with drafting him. I am just curious as to whether or not we've seen a situation similar to this to draw at least a little comparison to. Obviously no two players recover from injuries the same, but I just was hoping to find some similar instance of this and how it all panned out. 

I laughed.

But still interested, Who would you LOVE to pair him with, if you had dealers choice of any of those pick 5 -14 range guys. 

Heres how our league ended up after the first 4 RBs went off the board 

Chubb, Conner, DJ, Mahomes, Hopkins, Hill, Adams, Julio, Cook, Bell, Gurley, Beckham, Thomas, Mixon, Kelce.

Who does gurley pair the best with as an early second rounder?
I'd be feeling pretty good with a Chubb/Gurley pairing. Seems like a nice growth/value stock combo.

One of the things that turns me off most about this situation is how the Ram's have handled it, at least publicly.

Leading up to the Super Bowl: "Fully expect him to be the Todd Gurley that we all know, and he's going to be a big part of this game."

He ended up with 10 rushing attempts and 1 catch.

He's still such a sexy name to look at, but I think I'm gonna let someone else deal with the weekly headaches that may be coming.

One of the things that turns me off most about this situation is how the Ram's have handled it, at least publicly.

Leading up to the Super Bowl: "Fully expect him to be the Todd Gurley that we all know, and he's going to be a big part of this game."

He ended up with 10 rushing attempts and 1 catch.

He's still such a sexy name to look at, but I think I'm gonna let someone else deal with the weekly headaches that may be coming.
Better to sell one year too early rather than one year too late. 

I see a smaller workload throughout the year to prevent this as a necessity... 70-80% of last year.

Which I am ecstatic about at his price.
To prevent what?  An injury (which can happen at any time) or his arthritic knee flaring up?

To prevent what?  An injury (which can happen at any time) or his arthritic knee flaring up?
To prevent him from being unavailable at the end of the year.  Wear and tear.  All of the above.

They do it in other sports all the time.  Not a novel concept.

eta - obviously using prevent as a relative term here, no guarantees.

Boy, can’t ever recall a situation similar to this heading into a season.  It feels like he’s either going to get 18+ touches and all Gurley owners gather to celebrate.  Or he has a Super Bowl-esque 11 carries and 2 catches while seeing 60% of the snaps and panic ensues.  I’m not wagering on it being the former, so the celebration will be short one individual if it ensues.  

I think he’s going to be just fine for fantasy. Maybe not the bell-cow we’ve grown accustomed to, but in that offense 15-17 touches and he can still produce RB1 numbers.

As a dynasty owner, I’d prefer a scaled down workload - prolong his career a bit. 

The rams are playing this smart IMO. Just gave the guy a big contract, no incentive to run him into the ground. Goff is still cheap, and both sides of the ball are ready to go after another super bowl chance. 

Keep your best weapon healthy.

last years Super Bowl usage does not bother me. I think he was hurt. And I think the Rams got cute with how well CJA was playing. 

Then they ran into Bill Belichick. Low scoring game as well, so I’m sure that they (Rams) thought “all we need is one play”

Cue back to belichick LOL

Kinda went without saying.  For those high on Gurley, do you think his limited usage to end 2018 was due to something acute or chronic?
Posted this before here but, both.  He pretty clearly got hurt in the KC game and he obviously has some long term issues resulting from the ACL in college.  This added to the fact he’s one of those dudes with the Superman mentality (tough guy who doesn’t complain and plays though things he shouldn’t- Waldman talked a lot about examples of this recently) and it caught up to him at the end of the year.  

tombonneau said:
That's a championship pick paired with a performing first rounder.  :thumbup:
I have seen him go at the 2/3 turn to be paired with Barkley and a 3rd RB like Jones or Williams. in the FBG championships no less.

I’ve got one more draft to go, redraft with 2 keepers. (Kamara, Conner) ... 

id love to get the end of the first turn draft slot. Gurley and whatever top WR is left.

#houshmandzadeh

So assuming you draft Gurley in a PPR redraft this year, who would you grab as the handcuff at this point? kinda blurry to me who's the best handcuff of the two other RBs in that team. Any opinion?

So assuming you draft Gurley in a PPR redraft this year, who would you grab as the handcuff at this point? kinda blurry to me who's the best handcuff of the two other RBs in that team. Any opinion?
That's a question for tarots and tea leaves. Someone in one of the threads pointed out that Brown didn't take a snap all preseason, as if they were saving him, too. 

Kinda went without saying.  For those high on Gurley, do you think his limited usage to end 2018 was due to something acute or chronic?
Gurley is just a guy.  It's weird how people ignore he was the worst RB in the league in 2016.  McVay's scheme and one of the best run blocking OL in history are the only reason he is/was relevant.  That combination was so good even CJ Anderson ran well after being cut earlier in the season.

The knee is just an excuse because he was stuffed against a top five defense vs the run (rumors were he was benched) and then their offense was completely shut down because Belichick had two weeks to prepare for the SB.  No different than the matchup against an elite Chicago defense.  

i took malcom brown last pick of the draft... i think most still believe the hyped rookie is the cuff... im not so sure

Gurley is just a guy.  It's weird how people ignore he was the worst RB in the league in 2016.  McVay's scheme and one of the best run blocking OL in history are the only reason he is/was relevant.  That combination was so good even CJ Anderson ran well after being cut earlier in the season.

The knee is just an excuse because he was stuffed against a top five defense vs the run (rumors were he was benched) and then their offense was completely shut down because Belichick had two weeks to prepare for the SB.  No different than the matchup against an elite Chicago defense.  
Welcome back. Wondered where you went.  Still believing there was no injury I see.

Users who are viewing this thread