Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

7 minutes ago, Rhythmdoctor said:

Hope this is accurate. Nabbed him at 2.08 in a high stakes draft last week.

They're saying he looks 100%.  Now, as others have stated here and elsewhere, it very well could be that they limit his touches to keep him good for the whole season.  Still, I'd rather have Gurley at 80% of his normal production for an entire season than have him miss games.

Posted (edited)

As the offseason progresses I’m becoming more and more convinced that he suffered a knee injury against KC and gritted it out.  I’m not saying that the arthritis isn’t there, it always is after a major knee injury like he had in college, I just think his unwillingness to discuss the likely injury lead to lots of speculation and left us where we are.   

Edited by dkp993

9 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

As the offseason progresses I’m becoming more and more convinced that he suffered a knee injury against KC and gritted it out.  I’m not saying that the arthritis isn’t there, it always is after a major knee injury like he had in college, I just think his unwillingness to discuss the likely injury lead to lots of speculation and left us where we are.   

Agree.  Anyone who was watching that game should remember the play.  He was very clearly injured.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:24 PM, dkp993 said:

19 Nov - takes a hit to the knee in Chief game

25 Nov - bye week

2 Dec - 26 touches for 165 yards and 2 TD's, plays 65 of LAR's 69 snaps (94%)

I am gonna give the LAR trainers & staff the benefit of the doubt here.  They all saw the hit in week 11.  They saw it up close & in person.  They watched it over and over on slow mo instant replay.  They had a chance to monitor his knee for 13 days before his next game vs DET.  They were sitting at 10-1, cruising into playoffs.  If that hit was as bad as people in here are saying, why would LAR allow him to go out the next game and play so much?  He was on the field from start to finish.  Either the LAR staff were negligent in letting him play through an injury, or the hit wasn't as bad as it looked.  As I said earlier, I will give the staff the benefit of the doubt.

9 Dec - 14 touches for 58 yards, plays 62 of LAR's 63 snaps (98%)

Don't let the 14 touches fool you.  The Bears were stopping the run and Goff was forced to go to the air.  That's why Gurley was a non-factor, but he did play the whole game.  So, for the next 2 games after his hit to the knee, he played all but 5 snaps.  Does this sound like a guy battling through injury?  At this point, you would have to say the "negligent" staff are now grossly negligent if they thought Gurley was injured.  For the first 10 games before the Chiefs game, Gurley played 85% of the snaps (567/671).  Up until this point in the season, Gurley had not topped 58 snaps in consecutive games.

16 Dec - 22 touches for 124 yards and 2 TD's, plays 63 of LAR's 76 snaps (83%)

For the third game in a row after the "hit", Gurley surpasses 60 snaps.  The last time Gurley had 3 consecutive games of 60+ snaps was... never.  As a matter of fact, before the Chiefs game, Gurley had never even topped 60 snaps in 2 straight games, let alone 3.  And he wasn't just a decoy in these 3 games - he was getting his usual workhorse load.  I am sure he would've topped 20 carries in the CHI game if he was having success, but they were bottling him up.  The "grossly negligent" staff has now turned completely insane, if they thought Gurley was injured.

What makes more sense - A) the hit wasn't as bad as it looked, or B) the entire staff with all their game film and personal contact with Gurley overlooked his injury and let him play through it?  Have you ever been hit in the nuts real hard and it didn't hurt, but then you barely get hit and it kills?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

25 Nov - bye week

I am gonna give the LAR trainers & staff the benefit of the doubt here.  They all saw the hit in week 11.  They saw it up close & in person.  They watched it over and over on slow mo instant replay.  They had a chance to monitor his knee for 13 days before his next game vs DET.  They were sitting at 10-1, cruising into playoffs.  If that hit was as bad as people in here are saying, why would LAR allow him to go out the next game and play so much?  He was on the field from start to finish.  Either the LAR staff were negligent in letting him play through an injury, or the hit wasn't as bad as it looked.  As I said earlier, I will give the staff the benefit of the doubt.

Don't let the 14 touches fool you.  The Bears were stopping the run and Goff was forced to go to the air.  That's why Gurley was a non-factor, but he did play the whole game.  So, for the next 2 games after his hit to the knee, he played all but 5 snaps.  Does this sound like a guy battling through injury?  At this point, you would have to say the "negligent" staff are now grossly negligent if they thought Gurley was injured.  For the first 10 games before the Chiefs game, Gurley played 85% of the snaps (567/671).  Up until this point in the season, Gurley had not topped 58 snaps in consecutive games.

For the third game in a row after the "hit", Gurley surpasses 60 snaps.  The last time Gurley had 3 consecutive games of 60+ snaps was... never.  As a matter of fact, before the Chiefs game, Gurley had never even topped 60 snaps in 2 straight games, let alone 3.  And he wasn't just a decoy in these 3 games - he was getting his usual workhorse load.  I am sure he would've topped 20 carries in the CHI game if he was having success, but they were bottling him up.  The "grossly negligent" staff has now turned completely insane, if they thought Gurley was injured.

What makes more sense - A) the hit wasn't as bad as it looked, or B) the entire staff with all their game film and personal contact with Gurley overlooked his injury and let him play through it?  Have you ever been hit in the nuts real hard and it didn't hurt, but then you barely get hit and it kills?

This feels like a good post perhaps minus the nut punching. Good perspective on what happened after the hit in the KC game. 

13 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

25 Nov - bye week

Good post. And it’s certainly a valid viewpoint. My viewpoint, having to really bad knees (4 surgeries, PRP injections, both needing replacement etc and I’m only 44) along with knowing that Gurley has a history of playing through bad injuries (Waldman has a great piece on this) is that the bye gave him a bit of time to rest and recover.  As the weeks went on the injury worsened from the banging on it.  Having first hand experience I know that the swelling in the joint dramatically effects the pain level and your confidence in the knee. This can change from day to day.   I have days where my knees only hurt at a level one or two and then the next day I can barely walk.  So I can see a pretty linear progression after the Kansas City week of the injury worsening and worsening but him having spurts where he can perform.  

Again none of us know, It’s all speculation due to the tight lipped nature of Gurley.  His history is one of someone who tries to grit it out and doesn’t really talk to anybody, including his coaches, about where he’s really at. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Good post.  Been following your posts in this forum, and I think your take is dead on - and this is coming from a Rams fan.  Really concerned about the true nature and depth of whatever is going on here, both for the Rams and Gurley.

His usage and the team's game plan down the stretch was mind boggling - and incredibly frustrating, obviously - in my mind.  There is just smoke emanating from every which direction on this one.  On top of that, Rams will be good this year again.  Even if he stays healthy, I could see them shutting him down or massively reducing his workload during the FF playoffs.

16 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Good post. And it’s certainly a valid viewpoint. My viewpoint, having to really bad knees (4 surgeries, PRP injections, both needing replacement etc and I’m only 44) along with knowing that Gurley has a history of playing through bad injuries (Waldman has a great piece on this) is that the bye gave him a bit of time to rest and recover.  As the weeks went on the injury worsened from the banging on it.  Having first hand experience I know that the swelling in the joint dramatically effects the pain level and your confidence in the knee. This can change from day to day.   I have days where my knees only hurt at a level one or two and then the next day I can barely walk.  So I can see a pretty linear progression after the Kansas City week of the injury worsening and worsening but him having spurts where he can perform.  

Again none of us know, It’s all speculation due to the tight lipped nature of Gurley.  His history is one of someone who tries to grit it out and doesn’t really talk to anybody, including his coaches, about where he’s really at. 

I was just trying to illustrate how Gurley was used as his workhorse self for 3 straight games after the hit.  If that hit was as serious as people say, the entire staff should be fired.

So now we are heading into the preseason, and by all accounts, he is 100% healthy (well, except for his arthritis).  At least that's all we have heard.  I cannot find a single article saying otherwise.  I ain't buying.  He has Alzheimer's of the knees, it only gets worse, and there is no cure.  Sure, he will have his good and bad days, but will be even more inconsistent than Chad Ocho Cinco for fantasy purposes.  Not what I look for in the first 2 rounds, which is where he will go.

The superbowl was surreal in that Gurley busted off a good run or two, but was largely a non factor.  

As a viewer of that game I was left with the distinct impression that Gurley had a serious injury / pain management situation to deal with at the time.

I suppose its possible that teams didn't figure out until the end of the year to stop the run to stop play action, but the inference here is that McVay is a mediocre coach, which I'm not buying.

Still confused by that game.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 2:51 PM, SeniorVBDStudent said:

Still confused by that game.

You and me both.

seems like they overused him after the hit in the KC game ,60 + snaps as someone pointed out, and he further injured the knee. it's great that he can go 21 MPH in a straigh line in practice, but what we need to see is him cutting juking and busting moves on defenders like the old Gurley used to do. and I'd like to see him take a couple of hits on the legs and see how he responds.McVay won't use him till week 1, right? he's going to sit the remainder of preseason? If  so it's pretty much a guessing game.I'd love to see him  fully healthy and ready to go , but to acquire him in a draft you're going to spend a 1st or 2nd pick to get him. this isn't a case like Zeke where you know the Cowboys will get a deal done, even if he misses a week or two , he'll play this season - and a top 5 pick on Zeke is still worth the investment. Gurley could play all year and still not be as effective as he was in the past.thats the real risk of drafting him.

the upside is that he is fully healed and looks as electric as ever - but he's still on borrowed time with a bum knee. too much risk for the reward IMO

So now I'm hearing Malcolm Brown is the direct handcuff from preseason action, anyone else?

On 8/3/2019 at 10:10 PM, wgoldsph said:

My biggest red flag with Gurley isn't his arthritic knee or his potential inconsistency.  It's how the rams handled it last season.

When it comes time to submit your roster and the rams are giving no clear indication of what will happen with him, week in and week out, your entire lineup will be screwed.  Your bench spots (waiver picks, fa bucks, whatever) will have to hold a third string rb just for the occasion when Gurley is out at the last minute and your backup is on bye.  If you're busy Sunday morning and don't have time to check your phone before kick off you could end up with a dud, or leaving a huge game on your bench.

Too much of a headache.

Good pt

If Gurley had 50% of the Rams RB fantasy football points from 2018, he still would have been a top 12 RB.

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

20 minutes ago, Skoo said:

So now I'm hearing Malcolm Brown is the direct handcuff from preseason action, anyone else?

I've never thought otherwise. We saw same mindset with John Kelly last year. Everyone thought he was the handcuff, then Brown (the true HC) is hurt and  the Rams sign CJA off the trash heap. Granted Henderson has more draft capital than Kelly, but Rams have given no indication Brown is not backup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

If Gurley had 50% of the Rams RB fantasy football points from 2018, he still would have been a top 12 RB.

This is my line of thought as well. Even if he's playing on a decreased workload, 75% of previous Gurley will still be a Top 5 RB.

I think if you make sure to handcuff with Brown and are willing to hold him, it's probably worth the risk in the 2nd.

1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Early downs more Brown, at least initially. Henderson the receiving back and probably gets some early down work too in the event Gurley goes down. Henderson more ppr value IMO.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skoo said:

This is my line of thought as well. Even if he's playing on a decreased workload, 75% of previous Gurley will still be a Top 5 RB.

I think if you make sure to handcuff with Brown and are willing to hold him, it's probably worth the risk in the 2nd.

Probably just mock draft mentality - not the same mindset as live drafts but I just took him in the third, Henderson in the 10th, and could have cuffed him with Brown in the 18th (went Darwin Thompson for my RB7 - doubt he’ll get past the 12th in my league.)

Would be silly to lock up that much capital on one backfield. 

I think Gurley will be efficient with double digit TDs, but prefer him only as my RB2.

Edited by BobbyLayne

1 hour ago, tombonneau said:

I've never thought otherwise. We saw same mindset with John Kelly last year. Everyone thought he was the handcuff, then Brown (the true HC) is hurt and  the Rams sign CJA off the trash heap. Granted Henderson has more draft capital than Kelly, but Rams have given no indication Brown is not backup.

I don’t think the situations are comparable. I don’t remember how everyone felt after the preseason but it should have been obvious to everyone after the first couple weeks that Brown  was the handcuff. And this year Henderson should have a role allowing him to see the field and probably have ppr value. Way different from Kelly.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Skoo said:

Agreed, I’ve been saying this for months.  Everyone in Gurley’s current tier come with some risk, as Gurley does now, but no one outside of Saquon or CMC offer the upside Gurley does.   To me he’s well worth the risk at his current ADP.

As far as handcuff is concerned it is and will be Brown.  But with the addition of DH I won’t be going out of my way to grab Brown as a handcuff.  If Gurley goes down its a clear RBC situation and DH has the highest upside in that situation..

Edited by dkp993

For those of you that have already drafted where has he been going? I have the 8th pick in a 12 team ppr league and have been giving some thought to taking Gurley in the 2nd.

25 minutes ago, theToes said:

For those of you that have already drafted where has he been going? I have the 8th pick in a 12 team ppr league and have been giving some thought to taking Gurley in the 2nd.

He will go somewhere right around that pick in the 2nd.  Two of my drafts he went before you pick actually

I have Henderson on a 6 player bench but someone just dropped Brown.......Do I drop Henerson to stash Brown?   Drafts are telling us most still value Henderson way over Brown....

I just drafted tonight and got him with the first pick in the 3rd round of our 12 team league. 

Brad Evans @YahooNoise

According to The Athletic's @VinnyBonsignore, Todd Gurley's knee "appears to be fine ... The Rams want to keep it that way come Dec/Jan." Team likely to mange his touch and snap counts, "especially through first part of the season." 

Yet another major work reduction sign.

Vincent Bonsignore @VinnyBonsignore

I don't anticipate it being "major"

Brad Evans @YahooNoise

Thanks for the clarification, Vincent. Gurley logged 86.2% of the Rams RB opportunities last year. If it's not a "major" reduction, what do you foresee? 70%? 60%?

Vincent Bonsignore @VinnyBonsignore

75% to 80% with the score playing a role in the 75%

• Thanks 2

To me, it boils down to - do you believe your eyes or ears?

What you see - clearly limited at the end of 2018, losing weight to save knees

What you hear - 100% healthy, running as fast as ever, a full-go for 2019

What you see - LAR trading up to grab a RB

What you hear - We wanted a guy with his skillset

What you won't see - full-contact footage of Gurley since the end of 2018

What you won't hear - negative comments from LAR staff

The bolded is why I am so skeptical.  Would you trust a used car salesman and buy a car from him sight unseen?  As a minimum, wouldn't you demand a test drive?  And for those saying 75% Gurley is still great, are you assuming you get that 75% on a weekly basis?  What if you get 100% for 4 weeks, 75% for 4 weeks, 50% for 4 weeks, and 0% for 4 weeks, yet you don't get to decide which weeks are which?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

To me, it boils down to - do you believe your eyes or ears?

What you see - clearly limited at the end of 2018, losing weight to save knees

What you hear - 100% healthy, running as fast as ever, a full-go for 2019

What you see - LAR trading up to grab a RB

What you hear - We wanted a guy with his skillset

What you won't see - full-contact footage of Gurley since the end of 2018

What you won't hear - negative comments from LAR staff

The bolded is why I am so skeptical.  Would you trust a used car salesman and buy a car from him sight unseen?  As a minimum, wouldn't you demand a test drive?  And for those saying 75% Gurley is still great, are you assuming you get that 75% on a weekly basis?  What if you get 100% for 4 weeks, 75% for 4 weeks, 50% for 4 weeks, and 0% for 4 weeks, yet you don't get to decide which weeks are which?

Good news is we’re close to finding out and the vast majority of people have already drafted and made their decisions.  

1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

Good news is we’re close to finding out and the vast majority of people have already drafted and made their decisions.  

Sad thing is your draft could be 5 minutes before kickoff, and you'd be none the wiser.

14 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Sad thing is your draft could be 5 minutes before kickoff, and you'd be none the wiser.

The beauty of the game.  If we all had the answers what fun would that be?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

The beauty of the game.  If we all had the answers what fun would that be?

So true!

The only real fact we know is Gurley hit 21MPH in a straight line recently... so did my Yugo.  But when I turned the corner and hit a pebble, my tires blew out.

• Laughing 2

I have the 8th pick in a 12 team PPR league and have been giving serious thought to going with Gurley in the 2nd. most of the top tier rb's will be gone by 8 so I was leaning toward Hopkins/Adams there and taking Gurley at 17.  I am not too risk averse and I think that pairing would be a good start to my draft. I'd just have to grab Henderson a round or so earlier than ADP.

5 minutes ago, theToes said:

I have the 8th pick in a 12 team PPR league and have been giving serious thought to going with Gurley in the 2nd. most of the top tier rb's will be gone by 8 so I was leaning toward Hopkins/Adams there and taking Gurley at 17.  I am not too risk averse and I think that pairing would be a good start to my draft. I'd just have to grab Henderson a round or so earlier than ADP.

Wouldn't reaching for Gurley's backup kind of prove you are risk averse?

17 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

Wouldn't reaching for Gurley's backup kind of prove you are risk averse?

Isn’t Gurley’s Backup Malcolm Brown?

• Like 1

yeah didn't word that like I should have.  I meant I think I'm ok with the risk of Gurley because I think there is a big upside to getting him there.  I have been seeing Brown has the backup lead and then Henderson in some other places.

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 12:26 PM, theToes said:

Same here. And he will be there IMO. If we can somehow get Bell at 8 and Gurely in the 2nd I will be a pig in ***t!!!

Edited by Todem

Gurley has been going at the turn or early 2nd usually. I'd probably take him after Chubb and Conner and before Bell and Cook.

4 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Gurley has been going at the turn or early 2nd usually. I'd probably take him after Chubb and Conner and before Bell and Cook.

I took Gurley at 2.3 with my 10 slot in pretty standard redraft scoring.

It was an easy pick for me though because I was targeting him. Almost took him at 10.

Own Brown as a handcuff and someone else actually grabbed Henderson before I grabbed brown. I don’t usually own my own handcuffs.

4 hours ago, VikingFrog said:

I took Gurley at 2.3 with my 10 slot in pretty standard redraft scoring.

It was an easy pick for me though because I was targeting him. Almost took him at 10.

Own Brown as a handcuff and someone else actually grabbed Henderson before I grabbed brown. I don’t usually own my own handcuffs.

Brown is the cuff.   Congrats.

• Thanks 1

It's impossible to know who is Gurley's handcuff.  Sean McVay might not know.  Because of his experience in the system, Brown would probably start off getting 60% of snaps.  But Henderson is talented.  And McVay isn't going to stick with Brown if Henderson outproduces him.  Henderson could overtake Brown as lead back within the first half of the first game.  The handcuff will be determined by how they play.

Surprised he is going in the first round. I feel like he has been Bell curving his draft value. Initially he was still first round. Then there was talk of 2nd, even LATE 2nd, and now he is back to the turn again. I’m determined to go WR/WR so I won’t see him unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Elevencents said:

Surprised he is going in the first round. I feel like he has been Bell curving his draft value. Initially he was still first round. Then there was talk of 2nd, even LATE 2nd, and now he is back to the turn again. I’m determined to go WR/WR so I won’t see him unfortunately. 

In my FFPC draft tonight had the 7th pick, got Gurley at 2.06.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dkp993 said:

In my FFPC draft tonight had the 7th pick, got Gurley at 2.06.  

That's a championship pick paired with a performing first rounder. :thumbup:

Has anyone seen video of Gurley training in the last month?  Has he padded up and taken any hits?

i couldn't help myself and i took him 1.10.... (zeke fell to 1.11 so i could have had him too)

i feared the gurley owner from the past 2 years would snag him at the turn.... turns out i could have had him at 2.3 but oh well

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, tombonneau said:

That's a championship pick paired with a performing first rounder. :thumbup:

🤞. DJ in the first

Can anyone compare this situation to a previous one? Where a player was a top 3 for a few years in a row, in one of the league's best offenses, then there's injury concerns, coaches say they're "healthy", but speculation lingers, so they fall in the draft.