What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (5 Viewers)

Gurley is just a guy.  It's weird how people ignore he was the worst RB in the league in 2016.  McVay's scheme and one of the best run blocking OL in history are the only reason he is/was relevant.  That combination was so good even CJ Anderson ran well after being cut earlier in the season.
Seems aside from one year he has been pretty damn good.

Is there a reason you pick the one year he struggled?

eta - jesus, I even forgot that he played under Jeff Fischer for two years.. I'm amazed he did that well.

Last edited by a moderator:

eta - jesus, I even forgot that he played under Jeff Fischer for two years.. I'm amazed he did that well.
Ignore him. He just wants attention.

Welcome back. Wondered where you went.  Still believing there was no injury I see.
When a team overpays the most overrated position in football and that player fails miserably when it counts the most, it's really quite a convenient excuse.

No RB who is truly great would average 3.2 ypc at the age of 22.  Literally one of the worst seasons ever for the type of volume he saw that year.

Let any RB run behind the best OL ever and they will look amazing (even "scrubs" like Anderson and Brown)

If that sounds like hyperbole, consider the Football Outsiders stat Adjusted Line Yards, which takes all running back carries and assigns responsibility to the offensive line. The stat magnifies plays when the running back gets tackled for a loss, as that’s usually the result of a blocking breakdown. And the stat treats any gain longer than 10 yards as if it were only a 10-yard gain, as anything beyond 10 yards usually isn’t the result of an offensive lineman’s block. By Adjusted Line Yards, the 2018 Rams set a new NFL record, with 5.49 adjusted line yards per carry.

Whether it’s Anderson stepping in from off the street and averaging 7.0 yards per carry, Gurley averaging 4.9 yards per carry, or Gurley’s backup Malcolm Brown averaging 4.9 yards per carry before he was injured late in the season, the Rams can run effectively with anyone carrying the ball. Enjoy watching Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Rodger Saffold, Austin Blythe and John Sullivan block on Sunday. You may never see a better run-blocking offensive line.

No RB who is truly great would average 3.2 ypc at the age of 22.  Literally one of the worst seasons ever for the type of volume he saw that year.

Let any RB run behind the best OL ever and they will look amazing (even "scrubs" like Anderson and Brown)

If that sounds like hyperbole, consider the Football Outsiders stat Adjusted Line Yards, which takes all running back carries and assigns responsibility to the offensive line. The stat magnifies plays when the running back gets tackled for a loss, as that’s usually the result of a blocking breakdown. And the stat treats any gain longer than 10 yards as if it were only a 10-yard gain, as anything beyond 10 yards usually isn’t the result of an offensive lineman’s block. By Adjusted Line Yards, the 2018 Rams set a new NFL record, with 5.49 adjusted line yards per carry.

Whether it’s Anderson stepping in from off the street and averaging 7.0 yards per carry, Gurley averaging 4.9 yards per carry, or Gurley’s backup Malcolm Brown averaging 4.9 yards per carry before he was injured late in the season, the Rams can run effectively with anyone carrying the ball. Enjoy watching Andrew Whitworth, Rob Havenstein, Rodger Saffold, Austin Blythe and John Sullivan block on Sunday. You may never see a better run-blocking offensive line.
Again though.. you are picking the one and only season where this happened.

3 years ago.

tjnc09 said:

For Adjusted Line Yards, it seems fair to mention the Rams O-line was 3rd in 2017 at 4.70 and 29th in 2016 at 3.66. 

matuski said:
Again though.. you are picking the one and only season where this happened.

3 years ago.
Yes, coaching staff/OL matter more than the RB.  

Great coaching staff/OL = wow, Gurley is amazing.  

Bad coaching staff/OL = one of the worst ever RBs ever

Speaking Thursday, Rams coach Sean McVay said Todd Gurley will not be on a snap count against the Panthers.

Gurley's knee has been the subject of more conjecture than any NFL body part in recent memory, but the Rams have continued to claim it won't be an issue heading into Week 1. As usual, Gurley was a ghost during training camp and the preseason, so we have nothing to go on but the Rams staff's word. Week 1 "snap count" or not, the injury concerns with Gurley after very real after he barely played in the biggest games of the 2018-19 season and his own trainer described his knee as "arthritic." Gurley belongs on the RB1/2 borderline for the opener.

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Sep 5, 2019, 4:29 PM ET

Here’s to hoping Sunday proves we all got a consensus top pick in the second round of our drafts (or later) based on end of year usage and conjecture.

I know nothing more than what Faust just posted but glad to hear he’s not on a snap count even if it’s coach speak.

I took Bell in the first at 1.8 and Gurley in the second at 2.5
Tyreek then Gurley for me at 1.10 and 2.3. Last seasons stats don’t always repeat but on paper I feel good. Everything can change quickly in this game though as we all know.

Sounds like a lot of "experts" were wrong about his health.  People making excuses for an overpaid player who played really poorly in the two most important games of his life.  

Their OL is ranked a lot lower this year.  Let's see how he does behind an average line.

I’m in the minority that think this whole thing is overblown and he will blow up. Giddy up. 
That majority group think was by his stock fell. So it’s not so bad being in the minority if things pan out.

It was a calculated risk but one I didn’t buy with all the news I read.

Sounds like a lot of "experts" were wrong about his health.  People making excuses for an overpaid player who played really poorly in the two most important games of his life.  

Their OL is ranked a lot lower this year.  Let's see how he does behind an average line.
Let's say he performs well. Are you going to eat crow and get off this tired crusade?

tjnc09 said:
:lmao: CJ Anderson was literally signed off the street and averaged 7ypc.  Performing "well" in McVay's system means nothing at all.  
The personal and emotional investment to this trolling effort makes it weird.

eta - believe me I can appreciate trolling efforts.

VikingFrog said:
That majority group think was by his stock fell. So it’s not so bad being in the minority if things pan out.

It was a calculated risk but one I didn’t buy with all the news I read.
Easy to get caught up in this crap with 1000's of people being paid to talk about something 24/7.

He’s been their most explosive RB between the 20s. Ripped off a few runs that changed drives. Clearly they want to preserve/rest him when they can. He does look really good but they’re limiting him and he’s not getting touches in the RZ. 

He’s been their most explosive RB between the 20s. Ripped off a few runs that changed drives. Clearly they want to preserve/rest him when they can. He does look really good but they’re limiting him and he’s not getting touches in the RZ. 
He will get his.....it is week one. He looked really explosive today. 

Not worried at all. 

Not sure how people could be happy with that usage. It's only week 1 after months of rest and he's giving up a number of touches to Brown. Yikes 
Yeah I'm a Gurley owner, not really sure how I can convince myself to take this as a positive.  He was basically trading drives with Malcolm Brown and ceding goaline work.  Not ideal.

I’m going to guess that it will be frustrating week to week.   If they get any sort of lead, which they will, he’s going to get pulled off the feild a lot. 
His is where it helps to just see box score and of watch the full game and get pissed when he is on bench. :)  

I just see him with a burst, almost 100 and he got his TDs vultured. Seems far cry from soon and gloom. 

His is where it helps to just see box score and of watch the full game and get pissed when he is on bench. :)  

I just see him with a burst, almost 100 and he got his TDs vultured. Seems far cry from soon and gloom. 
Not really doom and gloom but its not warm fuzzies either on my side I guess.  Should be a good rb2 regardless. 

Yeah I'm a Gurley owner, not really sure how I can convince myself to take this as a positive.  He was basically trading drives with Malcolm Brown and ceding goaline work.  Not ideal.
Can’t find snap counts yet or drives total for each, but there were 13 total drives by the Rams.  My guess watching it Gurley got 8 or 9 of those and 2/3 the total snaps.  If these bear out to be true, after all the offseason hype I will take 2/3’s the workload very happily.   He finishes as a top ten back with this work load.  

Can’t find snap counts yet or drives total for each, but there were 13 total drives by the Rams.  My guess watching it Gurley got 8 or 9 of those and 2/3 the total snaps.  If these bear out to be true, after all the offseason hype I will take 2/3’s the workload very happily.   He finishes as a top ten back with this work load.  
He does IF he's the goal line back. He wasn't today. 

There’s a decent range of outcomes between “this is terrible” and “everything is fine.” His explosiveness should be encouraging imo. But there have been questions all offseason about whether his health issues would make him more game script dependent than in the past. I don’t see why raising that question in light of today’s usage = doom and gloom. This is a team w SB aspirations that just won on the road with what seemed to me a pretty purposeful rotation. If they can win this way while preserving their best offensive player (who they’ve also made a large $ commitment to) is it unreasonable to think they might like to do that?

He does IF he's the goal line back. He wasn't today. 
Sure. Today was a fluke of the rotation and the getting gassed after 2 big runs.  46TDs in his first 50 games.  He’s still the GL back, hell he even was last yr when he was hurt in the playoffs.  Not worried at all.  

There’s a decent range of outcomes between “this is terrible” and “everything is fine.” His explosiveness should be encouraging imo. But there have been questions all offseason about whether his health issues would make him more game script dependent than in the past. I don’t see why raising that question in light of today’s usage = doom and gloom. This is a team w SB aspirations that just won on the road with what seemed to me a pretty purposeful rotation. If they can win this way while preserving their best offensive player (who they’ve also made a large $ commitment to) is it unreasonable to think they might like to do that?
 This is perfectly reasonable. And I’m in no way saying his snap count won’t be reduced but it’s not a 50-50 split and he hasn’t lost the goal line is all I’m saying. If he still gets the majority of the work 60 to 70% and the expected goal line work he’ll still put up great fantasy numbers.  Brown will no doubt get more then he has in past years, no question.  

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
 This is perfectly reasonable. And I’m in no way saying his snap count won’t be reduced but it’s not a 50-50 split and he hasn’t lost the goal line is all I’m saying. If he still gets the majority of the work 60 to 70% and the expected goal line work he’ll still put up great fantasy numbers.  Brown will no doubt get more then he has in past years, no question.  
Agree. And given the quality of the offense he’ll have plenty of good weeks. He doesn’t have to be top of the food chain to be valuable. 

dkp993 said:
Sure. Today was a fluke of the rotation and the getting gassed after 2 big runs.  46TDs in his first 50 games.  He’s still the GL back, hell he even was last yr when he was hurt in the playoffs.  Not worried at all.  
We shall see

dkp993 said:
This is the kind of insight I was looking for since I didn’t see the game. 

If he was pulled because of big runs and Brown got the TD’s I’d be totally fine with him going forward. 

If he was pulled because of big runs and Brown got the TD’s I’d be totally fine with him going forward. 
For a couple years now it’s been a 3 series for Gurley 1 series for Brown rotation for the most part (late game exceptions withstanding).  The first Brown TD was a Brown series ( Gurley had the prior 3 iirc). The second was gassed, the second long runs was a hard run at that.  They showed Gurley gulping water on the sidelines.  

For a couple years now it’s been a 3 series for Gurley 1 series for Brown rotation for the most part (late game exceptions withstanding).  The first Brown TD was a Brown series ( Gurley had the prior 3 iirc). The second was gassed, the second long runs was a hard run at that.  They showed Gurley gulping water on the sidelines.  

This isn't correct.  The 2nd Brown TD came right after a turnover.  The drive started on the 5 yard line.  Gurley was not tired.

Gurley was also pulled inside the 10 on another drive in favor of Henderson, who stayed in for both plays inside the 10.

Users who are viewing this thread