Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

2 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

His health is fine.  This was play calling through and through.  

Nine consecutive games without exceeding 16 carries.  Believe that it’s a moronic play caller all you want.  With the success he’s had calling plays, I’m going to give him more credit than that.  Gurley is damaged, and the person closest to him knows that and is clearly protecting him.  That’s not a hot take at this stage.

• Like 1

Todd Gurley rushed five times for 16 yards and two touchdowns in the Rams' Week 4 loss to the Bucs, adding seven catches for 54 yards on 11 targets.

Gurley scored from 13 yards out for the Rams' first score and then went in from five yards away later. He obviously did nothing else on his three other totes, but Gurley was heavily involved in the passing game on a day Jared Goff dropped back to pass 70 times. Gurley previously hadn't really been involved in the pass game this season, so it was a good notch in Gurley's belt for fantasy. This inexperienced Rams offensive line just isn't very good right now, putting Gurley in more of the RB2 range headed into Thursday night's date with the Seahawks.

Sep 29, 2019, 8:01 PM ET

46 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Nine consecutive games without exceeding 16 carries.  Believe that it’s a moronic play caller all you want.  With the success he’s had calling plays, I’m going to give him more credit than that.  Gurley is damaged, and the person closest to him knows that and is clearly protecting him.  That’s not a hot take at this stage.

If he was protecting him because Gurley was “damaged” he would be getting Malcolm Brown much more involved who had been averaging basically 5 yards a carry going into the game. He’s just flat out not calling running plays it has absolutely nothing to do with Gurley’s health, it’s how defenses are playing the Rams right now and how McVay thinks they should attack them.  This 6/1 D has McVay shook and that coupled with the new interior O line pieces has him trying to scheme against it.  

9 hours ago, dkp993 said:

If he was protecting him because Gurley was “damaged” he would be getting Malcolm Brown much more involved who had been averaging basically 5 yards a carry going into the game. He’s just flat out not calling running plays it has absolutely nothing to do with Gurley’s health, it’s how defenses are playing the Rams right now and how McVay thinks they should attack them.  This 6/1 D has McVay shook and that coupled with the new interior O line pieces has him trying to scheme against it.  

Yeah I think this sums it up pretty well. I am less concerned about his health over the last two weeks and more concerned with the OL and McVay. The word is out on how to slow this offense down. dkp993 is right, if health was a concern, I think Brown would get more carries. To me, seems like Gurley was getting brought along slowly like some people suggested. But now that he is getting the snaps, he has no chance on running plays and he wasn't being used in the passing game prior to yesterday. 

He's having a good fantasy night because of the two TDs from near the goalline, but I am not impressed by his running tonight.

44 minutes ago, az_prof said:

He's having a good fantasy night because of the two TDs from near the goalline, but I am not impressed by his running tonight.

Totally TD dependent. He is simply not a big part of the offense. 

• Like 1

Todd Gurley rushed 15 times for 51 yards and two touchdowns in the Rams' Week 5 loss to the Seahawks, adding three receptions for six additional yards.

Gurley's scores came from eight and one yards out. It was a great fantasy night, but Gurley was held below 4.0 yards per carry for the fourth time in five games. Gurley's blocking has been a major problem, but the 25-year-old back has not looked the same going side to side since his injury issues set in last year. He's still not at his physical peak. Week 6 opponent San Francisco has been stout against the run through its first three games.

Note: The 2nd TD shouldn't have happened; Gerald Everett had a big gainer and was ruled down at the 1, replays showed he was in for the TD. Rams didn't challenge.

Edited by The Frankman

Jared Goff has an ungodly 222 pass attempts thru 5 games.  I can’t see that pace continue.  At the same time, I don’t know why it started.  Even if Gurley isn’t 100%, then run more with Brown.  Find a role for Henderson.  Balance it out.

20 minutes ago, Don't Noonan said:

Gurley looks fine to me

Yep, as I’ve said all season.  It’s playcalling and bad interior line play that’s the issue right now.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/29/2019 at 8:22 PM, SayWhat? said:

Make that ten in a row.

No he is not the same. He had a monster hole on one of his first big runs. I felt a few of the RB's today (Chubb, Cook, etc) could have cut right and took it to the house. He seems to have lost any explosion he once had. Watching Chubb Sunday go 80 yards like a blur and then Gurley shows a lot.

That being said, he is probably the best GL back in the game on a high powered offense. He will still get plenty of opportunities and Brown appears to be losing snaps. I feel playing him in games that should be competitive is a gimme. Those games that could be blowouts and he sits, not so sure. He may get rested.

What bothers me the most is once again Goff rarely even looked at him as an option. That is discouraging.

Edited by Payne

I dunno how anybody can watch him and think he looks as explosive as he did. Maybe it's a mental thing or maybe it's physical but he's not the same. Id sell high. 

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

I dunno how anybody can watch him and think he looks as explosive as he did. Maybe it's a mental thing or maybe it's physical but he's not the same. Id sell high. 

Heavily invested in Dynasty and hate to say it, but I agree.  The cuts arent crisp, the acceleration is not impressive.  He still runs hard and strong and he is still a good player, but he is not special anymore from what I can see.  At least not right now.

Feels like the more they pass and get away from Gurley the worse they do. 

Also, he destroyed everyone in snaps last night. He’s a bit low right now IMO. 9ers, Falcons, Bengals and Steelers coming up could yield plenty of points. 

Complaint 1:  “Gurley is losing a ton of snaps to M Brown!”

Update:  Gurley getting >80% of snaps in weeks 4-5

Complaint 2:   “Gurley is losing goalline touches to M Brown.”

Update:  Gurley gets all goalline work in weeks 4-5

Complaint 3:  “Gurley isn’t used enough in the passing game.”

Update:   Gurley targeted 11 times in week 4, and 5 times in week 5.

Complaint 4:  “Gurley doesn’t look explosive enough, he’s done.”

Update:    ....time will tell......

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Update:    ....time will tell......

3 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

Make that ten in a row without exceeding 16 carries in a game.

How many games do you give him?  Five more? Ten more?  Next season?

4 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

He was noticeably limping after one catch.

100% agree on this... after the first reception... he limped afterwards... and from there on he basically did zero cutting.. to me it was earily similar to what happened last year during the rams/chiefs game... TBH i was shocked he basically played every snap last night because he didnt look right... but he was only able to just run straight ahead.... when he was in pass pro and wasnt blocking he would just gingerly jog to the flats... 

Edited by iamkoza
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, shadyridr said:

I dunno how anybody can watch him and think he looks as explosive as he did. Maybe it's a mental thing or maybe it's physical but he's not the same. Id sell high

That window closed long ago. 

He looks good.  Still worried and just don't want to see him run into the ground.  As Rams guy, I REALLY hope they involve Malcolm Brown and get Henderson going.

Give Gurley the high value touches - receptions between the 20s and RZ TD looks.  Let Malcolm grind it out with the low value touches between the 20s.  Fold in Henderson to keep the guys fresh.

30 minutes ago, leftcoastheel said:

He looks good.  Still worried and just don't want to see him run into the ground.  As Rams guy, I REALLY hope they involve Malcolm Brown and get Henderson going.

Give Gurley the high value touches - receptions between the 20s and RZ TD looks.  Let Malcolm grind it out with the low value touches between the 20s.  Fold in Henderson to keep the guys fresh.

Your notion of low/high value touches certainly applies to fantasy football.  Not sure it translates well to how an actual NFL coach views things though.

7 minutes ago, davearm said:

Your notion of low/high value touches certainly applies to fantasy football.  Not sure it translates well to how an actual NFL coach views things though.

It should.  Use him when you need him to make a play, not when you need 3 - 5 yards between the tackles.

4 hours ago, iamkoza said:

100% agree on this... after the first reception... he limped afterwards... and from there on he basically did zero cutting.. to me it was earily similar to what happened last year during the rams/chiefs game... TBH i was shocked he basically played every snap last night because he didnt look right... but he was only able to just run straight ahead.... when he was in pass pro and wasnt blocking he would just gingerly jog to the flats... 

I've been noticing that, as well. He's essentially turned into a straight-ahead power runner for the most part. Gurley doesn't look like he did earlier in his career.

I think it's definitely time to lower expectations & not just because of his knee. The NFL is ever-changing & the Rams don't look the same, either.

Edited by Football Jones

1 minute ago, Football Jones said:

I notced that, as well. He's essentially turned into a straight-ahead power runner for the most part. Gurley doesn't look like he did earlier in his career.

I think it's definitely time to lower expectations & not just because of his knee. The NFL is ever-changing & the Rams don't look the same, either.

Everything the Rams did in 2018 was off of Gurley... he is the catalyst for that offense.

If he's 75-80% of 2018 Gurley, then I would expect the Rams offense to be 75-80% of 2018 as well.

43 minutes ago, TheDirtyWord said:

He just went for Fitzgerald/Singletary in my league...😮

He went for Kirk, Singletary and a 3rd in one of my leagues.

1 minute ago, Dizzy said:

Everything the Rams did in 2018 was off of Gurley... he is the catalyst for that offense.

If he's 75-80% of 2018 Gurley, then I would expect the Rams offense to be 75-80% of 2018 as well.

That's a good point.

Their OL isn't performing as well, either, & Goff has been up & down.

Edited by Football Jones

Gurley's last 3 games have been uninspiring from an efficiency standpoint (on the ground). It wouldn't be a stretch to say his knee might be starting to act up. At some point, I'd expect Brown to get more touches if it continues. He's a good all-around RB.

I don't see a ton of upside to Gurley other than TDs. It's unlikely his knee is going to get better & there's at least a decent chance it gets worse.

Don't want to paint too bleak of a picture, but it doesn't look good long-term, IMO.

5 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

Gurley's last 3 games have been uninspiring from an efficiency standpoint (on the ground). It wouldn't be a stretch to say his knee might be starting to act up. At some point, I'd expect Brown to get more touches if it continues. 

Not sure I subscribe to this. If Gurley was the problem, why has Brown or no other RB sniffed the field the last two games?

This is all the Rams, their O scheme and lack of OL. 

I think for 2018 he's a low RB1 just because of TDs, but I'm not ready to write off his career like some.  In fact I'm about to double down and attempt to acquire in my other league in a Kerryon package. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

Not sure I subscribe to this. If Gurley was the problem, why has Brown or no other RB sniffed the field the last two games?

I think for 2018 he's a low RB1 just because of TDs, but I'm not ready to write off his career like some.  In fact I'm about to double down and attempt to acquire in my other league in a Kerryon package. 

I’m not laying all the blame on Gurley or totally writing off his career. 

Brown had more touches earlier in the season & not sure Gurley was on board. There might be a behind-the-scenes dynamic at play right now.

Bottom line, eventually, Brown WILL get more touches if the Rams don’t get more efficient at the RB position.

Edited by Football Jones

55 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

He went for Kirk, Singletary and a 3rd in one of my leagues.

I'm high on both of those players so I actually think this is pretty fair. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

This this this.  

45 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I’m not laying all the blame on Gurley or totally writing off his career. 

Brown had more touches earlier in the season & not sure Gurley was on board. There might be a behind-the-scenes dynamic at play right now.

Bottom line, eventually, Brown WILL get more touches if the Rams don’t get more efficient at the RB position.

Brown would make them more efficient at the RB position?

14 minutes ago, davearm said:

Brown would make them more efficient at the RB position?

That's not what I said, LOL. We're all speculating.

The Rams haven't been efficient on the ground the last 3 games. I'm thinking Gurley's knee could be acting up (he hasn't looked as good as the first 2 games). At this point, it can safely be assumed there's a problem with his knee & the more touches he has, the worse it gets (in theory).

McVay isn't going to keep putting Gurley out there series after series at just over a 3 YPC clip. They'll eventually give Brown or Brown/Henderson a bigger piece of the pie.

Edited by Football Jones

I believe the truth is he has lost a step and the NFL has figured out to stop their stretch runs. McVay needs to get off his ego and change it. 

Runs to the outside = no go

Runs up the middle = solid gains

17 minutes ago, Payne said:

I believe the truth is he has lost a step and the NFL has figured out to stop their stretch runs. McVay needs to get off his ego and change it. 

Offensive play #2 last night -5 yards ==>Runs to the outside = no go

offensive play #1 last night 9 yards==>  Runs up the middle = solid gains

8 hours ago, Football Jones said:

That's not what I said, LOL. We're all speculating.

The Rams haven't been efficient on the ground the last 3 games. I'm thinking Gurley's knee could be acting up (he hasn't looked as good as the first 2 games). At this point, it can safely be assumed there's a problem with his knee & the more touches he has, the worse it gets (in theory).

McVay isn't going to keep putting Gurley out there series after series at just over a 3 YPC clip. They'll eventually give Brown or Brown/Henderson a bigger piece of the pie.

If his knee is acting up why has he had more snap share in the last few games? It should be opposite. 

IMO, all of this is ironically and eerily similar to his usage with Fisher when everyone screamed "Why aren't they getting the ball to Gurley in space?". Then McVay did and TG was the best back in football and caught a ton of passes. Now he is a passing game after thought. So bizarre. And it's like that part of the offense just disappeared. Because it's not even like Darling Darrell, the COP back molded in heaven, is filling this role. The role is gone. 

Gurley is taking more hits picking up blitzes and staying in for pass protection then he is carrying the ball and he is basically the last option on pass plays, unreal.

2 hours ago, tombonneau said:

If his knee is acting up why has he had more snap share in the last few games? It should be opposite. 

IMO, all of this is ironically and eerily similar to his usage with Fisher when everyone screamed "Why aren't they getting the ball to Gurley in space?". Then McVay did and TG was the best back in football and caught a ton of passes. Now he is a passing game after thought. So bizarre. And it's like that part of the offense just disappeared. Because it's not even like Darling Darrell, the COP back molded in heaven, is filling this role. The role is gone. 

Honestly even as a Gurley owner I think the snap share increase is nothing more than fan/media pressure. 

As far as the receiver use goes he's been used more the last few games, he's just not doing anything with it. No idea why they aren't giving him a few screen passes each game though.

Reading the page+ full of questions, I think I can solve the mystery here: 

the Rams are a little pass-happy, they don’t run block well right now, and the defense is banged up so badly that game-scripts aren’t anywhere near as favorable for the run game as they’ve been. 

What I saw from Gurley on TNF looked a lot like what I saw 2 years ago, though he does look a stitch slower. 

He’s just not getting as many touches because there aren’t as many touches to give. Rams getting into more shootouts, and that’s not conducive to a productive run game. And they don’t run block as well as they did 2 years ago. I don’t think his knee has anything to do with it. 

Looking forward, if not for the Everett TD that didn’t get reviewed & Gurley vultures, he would have been a 12 point play. He’s now a bit of anTD-dependent RB, because he’s not going to get the volume he needs & that line isn’t opening holes for breakaway TDs. 

I would be trying to sell high off of the TNF game, if I had him. But that’s just me. 

• Thanks 1