Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, iamkoza said:

Damian Williams missed two games this year because of this injury (or was his a different bruise?)

 

What's really weird is after gurley first catch last Thursday he seemed to be noticeably limping. Then to me, the rest of the game he didn't seem to ever make a crisp lateral cut. On passing plays if he wasn't blocking he'd gingerly fade out to the flat... Tl Dr he looked to be hurting... Yet he pretty much played every single snap that game. So perhaps it could actually be a bruise that didn't get bad until after the game?

It's one of those injuries you may be able to play with during the game it happened. Your muscles are warmed up and the adrenaline is going and the pain may not fully kick in. After the game and the next day, you will wish it never happened and you can barely walk from the pain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tackle for loss said:

Anyone have the practice report today?

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/129192-49ers-rams-injury-report-ford-pace-gurley-talib-practice/

The #Rams turned practice into an indoor walk-through and "above-the-neck day" because of high winds around Thousand Oaks. This, combined with the short week before the Thursday game in Seattle, means they'll have only one real practice in two weeks before facing the 49ers.

 

Per Greg Beacham:

Sean McVay says Todd Gurley's bruised thigh "caught us all off-guard," since the Rams haven't played since last Thursday. McVay refuses to guess whether Gurley will play Sunday vs the Niners.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how everyone thinks this is code for his knee.  Maybe he actually has a thigh bruise?  It’s like everyone is salivating over his career ending. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Andrew74 said:

I like how everyone thinks this is code for his knee.  Maybe he actually has a thigh bruise?  It’s like everyone is salivating over his career ending. 

Or just connecting some reasonable dots. Anyone ever find video of where such a significant hit took place?  Like Gronk’s.  Should be reasonably evident if it actually occurred you’d think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point, I don't trust the Rams in regards to Gurley's injury report. You would be a fool to take them at their word. Teams have used the word "contusion" to cover a wide variety of injuries. It's nothing new. In this case, they designated a different part of his anatomy so who knows.

Could they be related? Sure, but we don't know yet.

 

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Andrew74 said:

I like how everyone thinks this is code for his knee.  Maybe he actually has a thigh bruise?  It’s like everyone is salivating over his career ending. 

That is not at all what is going on. I own Gurley in a few leagues, but also want to get ahead of the game in a few redrafts. I have Brown but I have short benches and am trying to figure out other things as well with my roster. People are trying to discuss and figure it out. I will wait not wait for more facts before discussing, I will use the ones we have currently since that is the point to figure out the tea leaves to get ahead of the game. 

It could be a thigh bruise... but do you really believe that to be true? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adding to the layers of unknown effects.... he just tweeted out that he’s being evacuated due to the fires in LA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dkp993 said:

Adding to the layers of unknown effects.... he just tweeted out that he’s being evacuated due to the fires in LA.

:unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Adding to the layers of unknown effects.... he just tweeted out that he’s being evacuated due to the fires in LA.

I think that's the Rams covering up the knee - you know, it's a "burning pain" so using wildfires totally covers for that.

  • Laughing 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hankmoody said:

I think that's the Rams covering up the knee - you know, it's a "burning pain" so using wildfires totally covers for that.

Makes sense to me.  It always comes back to the knee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dkp993 said:

Adding to the layers of unknown effects.... he just tweeted out that he’s being evacuated due to the fires in LA.

Was he escorted out in a wheelchair or did he make it out on his own?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Tool said:

Was he escorted out in a wheelchair or did he make it out on his own?

I believe they amputated his leg just above the knee prior to being wheeled out.  

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious on if they try and get the run going with the rookie and brown for 3rd downs/2min drill. Should be interesting to watch. As a rams fan, I'm really concerned on gurley's knee. I though this limiting his touch was just to preserve him for 20+ carries a week starting around weeks 14-15 to make a late push. But now I'm trully worried that he might be done for this year. This game is huge to for us if we start 0-2 in the division so if gurley was able to play he definitely would as we need him. But again this situation should be interesting to see how it play out. Henderson didn't look to good in preseason but watching his college film states otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RealReactions said:

Curious on if they try and get the run going with the rookie and brown for 3rd downs/2min drill. Should be interesting to watch. As a rams fan, I'm really concerned on gurley's knee. I though this limiting his touch was just to preserve him for 20+ carries a week starting around weeks 14-15 to make a late push. But now I'm trully worried that he might be done for this year. This game is huge to for us if we start 0-2 in the division so if gurley was able to play he definitely would as we need him. But again this situation should be interesting to see how it play out. Henderson didn't look to good in preseason but watching his college film states otherwise.

Wouldn't it be Brown with Henderson as the 3rd down back?

Edited by Weebs210

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

Wouldn't it be Brown with Henderson as the 3rd down back?

I believe they drafted henderson to ultimately replace Gurley. He ran the same zone blocking scheme in college and he has good hands. Brown just knows the offense better and I believe is a better pass blocker which is why I see him in on 3rd downs. You don't want to get Goff killed because a blown blitz pickup by a rookie Rb.

 

Edit: Just to be more clear this is going off of Mcvay saying he might ride the rookie. If thats true I would put money on it he's the early down back. But this is a big game like I stated before. So it could be smoke and mirrors as I believe it will be brown in 85% of the snaps and maybe a breather or 2 to henderson

Edited by RealReactions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, RealReactions said:

I believe they drafted henderson to ultimately replace Gurley. He ran the same zone blocking scheme in college and he has good hands. Brown just knows the offense better and I believe is a better pass blocker which is why I see him in on 3rd downs. You don't want to get Goff killed because a blown blitz pickup by a rookie Rb

Why I don't think Henderson will see significant PT despite Gurley being (likely) out Week 6. Obviously he'll likely see more offensive snaps because I think he's seen 2 (?) all year. Brown is a better inside runner right now IMO. Brown knows the protections. He's been playing whole drives when he's been out there.

Unlike Henderson, he'll take what's there. I'll go as far and say the Rams don't lose anything going from 2019 Gurley to Brown running the football. Remains to be seen what Henderson can give as a blocker, taking what's there as a runner, patience and ball security when running to his right at this level. Gurley has done a ton of pass blocking and it's going to be a large requirement of whomever is back there.

Malcolm Brown IMO is a lot better than people think. I think Henderson can add some explosive element sprinkled in. More likely IMO, Everett and Higbee asked to block more. Wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of them flank Goff on some snaps.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First, the 9ers have a tough, physical D. The Rams may not be able to run, period.

As far as the split if Gurley is out, Brown is likely to get the vast majority of PT. I'd guess Henderson gets sprinkled in & if he can make something happen, who knows. 

There's a big swing as far as how Brown/Henderson could play out. Brown is underrated & Henderson is overrated, IMO, but it's really going to come down to production. And sometimes, it just depends on the play calls (or chance) as to who does best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Makes sense to me.  It always comes back to the knee

Plus Daenerys would roast you if you didn't bend the need so that's added logic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Plus Daenerys would roast you if you didn't bend the need so that's added logic

Especially if there are bells going off during the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least he got his $45 Million.  Told everyone he was an AVOID this year in FF.

They need to dramatically scale back his workload and turn this into a 3-headed committee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, leftcoastheel said:

At least he got his $45 Million.  Told everyone he was an AVOID this year in FF.

They need to dramatically scale back his workload and turn this into a 3-headed committee.

If this wasn't his knee, your prediction is about as valid as any other prediction of injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

The guy lies through his teeth constantly

Yup. Gurley wasn't part of your game plan in the SB?

God, he'd be a terrible stripper. You at least decide to believe them for good or ill. No way can you believe McVay. 

  • Laughing 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm leaning towards McVay being full of ####. 

Once I got to thinking about it, how could this injury "take them by surprise". A contusion with enough magnitude to miss a game would be treated by the training staff right away. Bad bruises can be pretty narly. All of a sudden it becomes an issue out of the blue?

I don't buy the company line, but I could be wrong. Maybe Gurley initially hid the injury, who knows. Something stinks, though.

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I'm leaning towards McVay being full of ####. 

Once I got to thinking about it, how could it "take them by surprise". A contusion with enough magnitude to miss a game would be treated by the training staff right away. Bad bruises can be pretty narly. All of a sudden it becomes an issue out of the blue?

I don't buy the company line, but I could be wrong. Maybe Gurley initially hid the injury, who knows. Something stinks, though.

His knee hurts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

I'm leaning towards McVay being full of ####. 

Once I got to thinking about it, how could this injury "take them by surprise". A contusion with enough magnitude to miss a game would be treated by the training staff right away. Bad bruises can be pretty narly. All of a sudden it becomes an issue out of the blue?

I don't buy the company line, but I could be wrong. Maybe Gurley initially hid the injury, who knows. Something stinks, though.

Gurley does have a history of this.  He’s a gamer and plays through #### he shouldn’t.   I found this quote below that I haven’t see anywhere else yet it’s the most telling info to come out of this current injury, not sure why others aren’t reporting it.  
 

I don’t think it’s the knee.  As others have said it was pretty clear he got banged up early in the Thursday night game.   Feel like this is what it is.  A deep bruise.  
 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001064520/article/todd-gurley-quad-doubtful-vs-49ers-aqib-talib-out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see the hit that caused the damage; I am far from a physician, but compensation injuries are for real - who knows what the guy has given McVay's track record of providing information.  I've had them.  To the point, I was REALLY concerned watching him last year... this is not helping, and rather reinforcing my view.

I was kind of drunk watching the game.  That said, I definitely noticed him limping towards the last third or so of the game, and the the staff continuing to send him out.  I was like WTF, put Brown in.  To Todd's credit, he appeared to stay positive.  But not sure what McVay and Co. are thinking right now.

I wish they would just chill with his usage.  Brown is a good player and we have athletes all over the offense.

Edited by leftcoastheel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

More from McVay and some more info on the injury.  But this directly contradicts his “took them by surprise” statement so who knows what’s true.  
 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcvay-rams-taking-time-233032818.html

Yeah, that's exactly opposite of what he said earlier which further validates my opinion something is up.

Who knows, but McVay's waffling doesn't instill confidence it's something other than the knee.

Maybe it's a quad contusion, but the "took us by surprise" comment doesn't make any sense if that's the case.

Edited by Football Jones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For there to be this grand conspiracy, it seems to me there would have to be a reason for a conspiracy? Why would they be making this up?  Maybe he took a penetrating knee, limped somewhat for the rest of the game, though at first it would clear up and found it got worse rather than better, decidded to tell the staff about the severity and may need to sit out over it? If it is his knee, why not just say it is his knee and he continues to have trouble with it. I don't think they care about keeping secrets to damage your fantasy prospects or team. He's hurt and can't play. When he can, he will. Why would there be some huge 'coverup' of Gurley's actual condition?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Catbird said:

For there to be this grand conspiracy, it seems to me there would have to be a reason for a conspiracy? Why would they be making this up?  Maybe he took a penetrating knee, limped somewhat for the rest of the game, though at first it would clear up and found it got worse rather than better, decidded to tell the staff about the severity and may need to sit out over it? If it is his knee, why not just say it is his knee and he continues to have trouble with it. I don't think they care about keeping secrets to damage your fantasy prospects or team. He's hurt and can't play. When he can, he will. Why would there be some huge 'coverup' of Gurley's actual condition?  

I’m not saying I agree there’s a “grand conspiracy,” but I understand the skepticism with which people view the Rams and the info they release about Gurley.  Last year, there were reports of Gurley being fine at the end of the season/playoffs, but he continued to split carries with CJ Anderson.  I think those experiences may be causing people to doubt whether they are being completely honest about his health.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Catbird said:

For there to be this grand conspiracy, it seems to me there would have to be a reason for a conspiracy? Why would they be making this up?  Maybe he took a penetrating knee, limped somewhat for the rest of the game, though at first it would clear up and found it got worse rather than better, decidded to tell the staff about the severity and may need to sit out over it? If it is his knee, why not just say it is his knee and he continues to have trouble with it. I don't think they care about keeping secrets to damage your fantasy prospects or team. He's hurt and can't play. When he can, he will. Why would there be some huge 'coverup' of Gurley's actual condition?  

Because of last year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Catbird said:

For there to be this grand conspiracy, it seems to me there would have to be a reason for a conspiracy? Why would they be making this up?  Maybe he took a penetrating knee, limped somewhat for the rest of the game, though at first it would clear up and found it got worse rather than better, decidded to tell the staff about the severity and may need to sit out over it? If it is his knee, why not just say it is his knee and he continues to have trouble with it. I don't think they care about keeping secrets to damage your fantasy prospects or team. He's hurt and can't play. When he can, he will. Why would there be some huge 'coverup' of Gurley's actual condition?  

Because quad contusion sounds a hell of a lot better than “you know that arthritic knee that he’s been having trouble with?  Yeah, it’s already a definite issue after five games averaging 13 carries per game.  Not looking good for this season.  Any other questions?”

As I said upthread, if it were a quad contusion, I would think video of the hit where it occurred would be circulating by now.  No?  Not saying it didn’t happen and they’re running interference with what they’re saying, but a quick video clip of the hit that caused it would significantly quell concerns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, SayWhat? said:

Because quad contusion sounds a hell of a lot better than “you know that arthritic knee that he’s been having trouble with?  Yeah, it’s already a definite issue after five games averaging 13 carries per game.  Not looking good for this season.  Any other questions?”

As I said upthread, if it were a quad contusion, I would think video of the hit where it occurred would be circulating by now.  No?  Not saying it didn’t happen and they’re running interference with what they’re saying, but a quick video clip of the hit that caused it would significantly quell concerns.

While I agree that video would he available, do the Rams care if there are concerns from us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dkp993 said:

More from McVay and some more info on the injury.  But this directly contradicts his “took them by surprise” statement so who knows what’s true.  
 

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/sean-mcvay-rams-taking-time-233032818.html

This is really frustrating as a Gurley owner who has been holding Brown all year. Dropped him Tuesday on waivers for Edmonds. Don’t need to get into arguing if that was a good or bad call, but I definitely would have held if I knew this info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Probably not until 11:30 AM tmrw where the likes of Rappaport, LaCanfora, or Sheff report more ominous details. You know they are sniffing around this right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kyoun1e said:

I'm waiting for the next shoe to drop.

Probably not until 11:30 AM tmrw where the likes of Rappaport, LaCanfora, or Sheff report more ominous details. You know they are sniffing around this right now.

Not to get side tracked. But with the people looking for the next big scoop how are people not staking out the practice facility to see how they are walking. No one has seen Kamara since he got hurt. Why? NFL players can just disappear? 

With the gambling edges in the world there are not people following these guys? 

Not saying its right or wrong, but I am still shocked you dont get more pics of injured players out in public or leaving the facilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SayWhat? said:

Because quad contusion sounds a hell of a lot better than “you know that arthritic knee that he’s been having trouble with?  Yeah, it’s already a definite issue after five games averaging 13 carries per game.  Not looking good for this season.  Any other questions?”

As I said upthread, if it were a quad contusion, I would think video of the hit where it occurred would be circulating by now.  No?  Not saying it didn’t happen and they’re running interference with what they’re saying, but a quick video clip of the hit that caused it would significantly quell concerns.

Have you watched his games? 

People focus on the carries, and either aren’t watching or somehow don’t notice the dozens of blitz pickups and blocks Gurley has been left in to absorb - almost exclusively his to shoulder. 
 

Now, maybe there is more up than we know... but if the Rams were concerned about workload and the knee, why would Gurley be forced to take all the additional punishment rather than spread that among the backs at least to some degree?


 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

While I agree that video would he available, do the Rams care if there are concerns from us?

I’d say they have about 45 million reasons why they might care what public perception might be.  Just one thought.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.