Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
tdmills

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley

2 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

It could also be that he is just slightly dinged with this, but they are looking for ways to limit his touches over the season anyways so why not take this opportunity? 

On the flip side of that, they need this game... 

Vs the 4-0 49ers?

1 hour ago, davearm said:

If this conspiracy angle had legs, wouldn't they say the contusion is on the same leg as the arthritic knee?

It is both left leg

17 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

It is both left leg

Article said right knee was arthritic, left leg was contused.

It's irrelevant which leg they choose to fake. It's not that out of the realm of possibility.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Article said right knee was arthritic, left leg was contused.

He tore ACL in left leg...contusion is left leg.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rockaction said:

It's irrelevant which leg they choose to fake. It's not that out of the realm of possibility.

Agreed.

It's a bit of a conspiracy theory, but the "took us by surprise" comment is telling, IMO. McVay essentially retracted it later, but the damage was done as far as being upfront about the injury (as has been the case since last season).

2 hours ago, rockaction said:

You neatly summed up my question about that line of thinking as well. I don't get what the money has to do with the lying, other than PR with fans and the media, who are really for the most part totally on the Rams' side since their move back to LA. The local news covers them with kid gloves. They'd survive that hit.

I really think they might lie for competitive advantage reasons, just like they did before. That said, I believe this is a contusion. I also believe he's not the same back, contusion or not.

I agree I believe it to be a contusion.  Also for whatever it’s worth, which isn’t much, I do think he’s the same back.  I’ve watched every down since he’s been in the league and he looks no different right now to me. What is different, which I’ve said before, is the interior O line and the play calling (both by the D’s against us and McVays as he tries to counter).  The wide zone running plays are not existent now in their use and effectiveness when used due to the 6/1 D played against use.  Those runs were the staple of our run game.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rockaction said:

As a guide, D. Williams of KC just was sidelined two weeks with a contusion on his knee. 

Which D Williams?

triple post I guess....  Sorry all.   I like my point but too much I guess.   lol

Edited by dkp993

Just now, Wrigley said:

Which D Williams?

Heh. Damien.

Per Rotoworld:

Rams activated RB John Kelly from the practice squad.

With Todd Gurley doubtful to play, Kelly will provide depth and special teams value as the Rams' No. 3 back behind Malcolm Brown and rookie Darrell Henderson. Kelly isn't likely to see many carries this week if he sees any at all. In a corresponding move, the Rams waived WR Nsimba Webster.

Source: Rams on Twitter

Oct 12, 2019, 3:11 PM ET

3 hours ago, rockaction said:

But he had no MRI, which means he's fine. ;)

A nothing burger, perhaps?

Just now, TheWinz said:

A nothing burger, perhaps?

Totally. Like an Impossible Whopper.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Heh. Damien.

Where are you seeing this?

This could be huge for the "other" D.

Just now, Wrigley said:

I think he's saying that's what he already missed time for, earlier in the season. Though every contusion would be different, that was Damien's timetable.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wrigley said:

Yeah, this already happened in Weeks 3 and 4. Massive apologies for any confusion. 

13 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Yeah, this already happened in Weeks 3 and 4. Massive apologies for any confusion. 

Ahhh, ok

I was almost upset that I dropped Darrel last week

Edited by Wrigley

OK, so Gurley is on ice for game 6, while John Kelly gets activated.  What are the odds that Gurley sits only 1 game?

2 minutes ago, TheWinz said:

OK, so Gurley is on ice for game 6, while John Kelly gets activated.  What are the odds that Gurley sits only 1 game?

Depends on if it's an actual conspiracy.

If so, no telling.

If I were to infer anything from this situation, it’d be that any lower body issue with Gurley that might potentially put undue stress on that knee is cause for concern.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Todd Gurley (quad) will have a "chance" to return for the Rams' Week 7 game in Atlanta.

Gurley's quad/thigh issue could only cost him a game, though obviously that would be a best-case scenario for Los Angeles and far from a sure thing given his extensive history of injuries. Without him, the Rams will turn to Malcolm Brown as their workhorse with third-stringer Darrell Henderson elevated to handcuff status. Gurley has been productive this year (five touchdowns), though he hasn't received his usual workload, averaging a modest 15.6 touches per game through five outings.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 13, 2019, 8:13 AM ET

If today doesn’t prove what I’ve been saying all season I don’t know what will.  Play-calling and O-line are the issue and it’s on full display here today

• Thanks 1

Just now, dkp993 said:

If today doesn’t prove what I’ve been saying all season I don’t know what will.  Play-calling and O-line are the issue and it’s on full display here today

Game script hasn't helped, Brown looked fine in the first quarter. Then he couldn't get into the endzone with multiple tries, and they've been playing from behind 

If anything, yesterday made me feel "better" about Gurley. Brown is nothing more than a backup. Henderson now scares me more moving forward.

But this still seems to be Gurley's team when healthy. 

That being said, quad injury is to same leg as knee issue and McVay needs to get his head out of the sand and figure out what to do. 

SF D is legit. Would be careful about drawing too many conclusions based on that 1 game

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tool said:

SF D is legit. Would be careful about drawing too many conclusions based on that 1 game

They are indeed legit, but this is their sixth game with five of them sharing the same outcome.

8 hours ago, Payne said:

If anything, yesterday made me feel "better" about Gurley. Brown is nothing more than a backup. Henderson now scares me more moving forward.

But this still seems to be Gurley's team when healthy. 

That being said, quad injury is to same leg as knee issue and McVay needs to get his head out of the sand and figure out what to do. 

That was one of the best defenses in the league.

They also trailed all game, how can they run? That goal line D stand was insane. Malcolm is great at the GL, he is a vulture. He got stopped, twice. Many good RBs have gotten stopped by good goal line Ds. Malcolm has shown he is a good RB, but you seem to forget all of that because of one game against a good D. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

They also trailed all game, how can they run? That goal line D stand was insane. Malcolm is great at the GL, he is a vulture. He got stopped, twice. Many good RBs have gotten stopped by good goal line Ds. Malcolm has shown he is a good RB, but you seem to forget all of that because of one game against a good D. 

They did not trail until the 3rd quarter and even then only be 7.

Trailing shouldn’t mean don’t run.

39 minutes ago, tackle for loss said:

Agreed. Brown looked REALLY impressive in their first drive (tough, physical running). That's what a feature back should be able to do, but the 9ers tightened up the rest of the game. They have an outstanding D.

Henderson has some redeeming traits, but he isn't a feature back-type runner. Henderson can definitely make things happen when he gets a hole (much like in college), but too often gets swallowed up when things get muddy.

When Gurley is out, Brown will likely get the majority of the snaps as the better all-around RB. That said, it doesn't mean Henderson can't produce, but neither one will do a whole lot unless the Rams straighten out their offensive woes.

Edited by Football Jones

45 minutes ago, Ted Lange as your Bartender said:

Noteboom out for the season - ACL/MCL.  That won’t help

It likely won’t hurt either. PFF had him graded out as the second worst guard out of 76 qualifying guards.  

Todd Gurley (quad) will practice Wednesday.

He'll be limited to individual drills. Coach Sean McVay also said Malcolm Brown (ankle) is day-to-day. Time will tell how this backfield shakes out, but rookie Darrell Henderson needs to universally rostered across fantasy leagues just in case both are ruled out. Pending Brown's health, he'll likely lead this backfield in a 60/40 timeshare if available (and Gurley's scratched).

SOURCE: Lindsey Thiry on Twitter

Oct 16, 2019, 5:29 PM ET

Coach Sean McVay said, "I think he’s (Todd Gurley) on a good pace to hopefully be able to play on Sunday."

Gurley is expected to be limited in practice again Thursday. He appears to be trending towards suiting up this week, but clearly isn't operating at 100%. Malcolm Brown (68% snaps) worked well ahead of Darrell Henderson (32%) during Gurley's absence last week. Gurley would undoubtedly retake control of the backfield if active, but it's probably more realistic to expect a snap rate in the 60-70% range as opposed to the 93% rate he posted in Week 5.

SOURCE: D. Orlando Ledbetter on Twitter.

Oct 17, 2019, 8:50 AM ET

Rams coach Sean McVay anticipates Todd Gurley and Jalen Ramsey to play Week 7.

Gurley will likely be officially questionable, but he's on track to suit up after missing one game with a thigh contusion. The Rams may opt to limit Gurley's total touch count after he came up injured in the only game where he played near full-time snaps. Given the matchup against the struggling Falcons, Gurley is still an RB2 with touchdown equity.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 18, 2019, 3:40 PM ET

Todd Gurley was removed from the Week 7 injury report.

Gurley will return after sitting out last week with a thigh contusion. It's possible his snaps are scaled back, but with Malcolm Brown (ankle) doubtful, Gurley is set up for heavy workload against a Falcons run defense that's given up the fifth most rushing touchdowns in the league. Gurley has potential for a big game whenever he's on the field, but his setback risks make him more of an RB2 for Week 7.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Oct 18, 2019, 5:31 PM ET

Todd Gurley rushed 18 times for 41 yards in the Rams' Week 7 win over the Falcons, adding a 13-yard touchdown reception.

Neither Gurley nor backup Darrell Henderson could find much running room behind the Rams' ramshackle offensive line, but it didn't matter on an afternoon where the Falcons collapsed through the surface of the earth. Gurley's scoring reception was one of the best plays of the day, as he beat Vic Beasley's tight 1-on-1 coverage in the end zone. The Rams seemed unconcerned about Gurley's quad issue, letting him play deep in the fourth quarter of a non-competitive game. Henderson has looked ready to change the pace the past two weeks, but Gurley maintains secure high-end RB2 usage going into next Sunday's hosting of the Bengals.

Oct 20, 2019, 4:37 PM ET

4 hours ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Beautiful over the shoulder catch, in traffic, getting both feet down like a WR for a TD.

Not targeted again the rest of the game.

The Rams won 37-10.

They don’t give a rats ### about anyones FF team. And you left out 18 carries for a whopping 41 yards for a sizzling 2.3 YPC avg.

They have 4 guys who are clearly higher in the receiving pecking order. And Goff does not check down. 

27 minutes ago, Todem said:

The Rams won 37-10.

They don’t give a rats ### about anyones FF team. And you left out 18 carries for a whopping 41 yards for a sizzling 2.3 YPC avg.

They have 4 guys who are clearly higher in the receiving pecking order. And Goff does not check down. 

Re: bolded.  This year.  He did the past few years and it was a big part of their game. TG3 dominated those check downs and broke off huge gains.  This year Goff has completely forgot about him and I have no idea why. A few weeks ago I pointed out multiple plays that were wide open for Gurley underneath for big gains to continue drives but Goff throws elsewhere into tight coverage for a miss.  Happened today again a few times but a big one early in the second half on a 3rd down when it was still a tight game.  I really have no idea why he’s completely gone away from it, make absolutely no sense.   

Nice game today.  Wish they had stuck with Henderson late to protect Gurley.  @dkp993 a lot of runs in between the tackles, and but for the TD, the utilization is weird.  And Goff is not looking for Gurley when his reads expire.  Not sure what the deal is, but Gurley should have high value touches from a FF perspective were Goff giving him the opportunity.

He is working well for us... I like our game... for F I feel like he is solid RB2 now, high en RB3 floor.

14 minutes ago, leftcoastheel said:

Nice game today.  Wish they had stuck with Henderson late to protect Gurley.  @dkp993 a lot of runs in between the tackles, and but for the TD, the utilization is weird.  And Goff is not looking for Gurley when his reads expire.  Not sure what the deal is, but Gurley should have high value touches from a FF perspective were Goff giving him the opportunity.

He is working well for us... I like our game... for F I feel like he is solid RB2 now, high en RB3 floor.

Honestly I’m disappointed in the game today.  Don’t get me wrong I’m stoked about the win but ATL is an abject disaster on D and to me the score is misleading.  We still didn’t look like the “Rams”, there’s no flow and it’s scary as #### we could barely (didn’t?) average 3 yards a carry vs that sad sack D.  Our D looked good today for sure against a good O but our O line is a atrocious and McVay’s play calling this year still has serious question marks.  Both of those are having some serious effects on Gurley’s game.  

• Like 1

@dkp993Our O line is a joke right now.  Couldn't punch it in on the RZ.  Kinda sad.  Is what it is.  D was great.  Goff looked pretty accurate.  Couple nice runs.  Some guys let him down candidly.

We just are not an elite team but we are pretty darn good.  Sorta need to accept that and manage expectations accordingly.

17 minutes ago, dkp993 said:

Honestly I’m disappointed in the game today.  Don’t get me wrong I’m stoked about the win but ATL is an abject disaster on D and to me the score is misleading.  We still didn’t look like the “Rams”, there’s no flow and it’s scary as #### we could barely (didn’t?) average 3 yards a carry vs that sad sack D.  Our D looked good today for sure against a good O but our O line is a atrocious and McVay’s play calling this year still has serious question marks.  Both of those are having some serious effects on Gurley’s game.  

Atlanta's run D actually isn't that bad, it's their pass D that is atrocious.  But yes I would agree that it just didn't look "easy" for the Rams overall today like it has for other teams playing Atlanta, even with a nice scoreline in the end.

17 minutes ago, leftcoastheel said:

@dkp993Our O line is a joke right now.  Couldn't punch it in on the RZ.  Kinda sad.  Is what it is.  D was great.  Goff looked pretty accurate.  Couple nice runs.  Some guys let him down candidly.

We just are not an elite team but we are pretty darn good.  Sorta need to accept that and manage expectations accordingly.

It looked like Gurley was in on the short TD everyone pushed him over for