What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (1 Viewer)

Got me curious, so I had a look at our archives... this would be RBs finishing top-5 in fantasy for 3 (or more) consecutive seasons, regular seasons (excludes fantasy playoffs), half-PPR, going back to 1993, in order:

E. Smith - 4 yrs, B. Sanders - 3 yrs, Te. Davis -  3yrs, C. Martin - 3 yrs, M. Faulk - 4 yrs, P. Holmes - 4 yrs, L. Tomlinson - 6 yrs, T. Barber - 3 yrs, A. Peterson - 7 yrs, M. Jones-Drew - 3 yrs, A. Foster - 3yrs, D. Murray - 3 yrs.

2019 would have been Gurley's 3rd straight.

2020 McCaffrey can make his 3rd straight.
AP 7!  What a freak.  

Very interesting read, thanks.  Looks like their GM made mistakes and neglecting the OL and giving 2 1st rd picks for Ramsey are the biggest ones of them all.  They look to be in future doo doo.  Too much money and draft capital for a few core players.  Even a novice like me realizes the way to build a long term contender is to pay special attention to the trenches with the draft.  A team like the Colts are in a much better position going forward than the Rams.  Even with the loss of Andrew Luck, they paid attention to the trenches, especially the OL, and have future draft capital and cap money to continue to build.  I'm starting to think Ballard is very smart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Todd Gurley rushed 19 times for 95 yards and one touchdown in the Rams' Week 13 win over the Cardinals.

The Rams, like many offenses, could do no wrong against the Cardinals. Jared Goff finished with over 400 yards, and Gurley had a ton of room to run. Gurley continues to only pick up the yards that are handed to him while he plays through troubling knee issues, but he can reach a ceiling whenever the Rams decide to bring back the 2018 version of their offense. The former All-Pro will look for his first 100-yard rushing game against the Seahawks at home next week. Gurley will be an RB2.

Dec 1, 2019, 6:58 PM ET

Gurley had a nice 30 yard TD called back on a hold, still ended with a pretty decent day, didn’t play at all in the 4th quarter but for a few plays due to it being a blowout.  I have more confidence in starting him now than at any time this season.   Just don’t want anymore blowouts.

Sounds about right....

Lindsey Thiry ESPN 

What's gone into Todd Gurley's increase in usage the last few weeks? "Me not being an idiot," Sean McVay said.

I think McVay out thinks himself sometimes.  Like he gets too caught up in doing the unexpected instead of just throwing a few wrinkles into the mix.

dkp993 said:
Sounds about right....

Lindsey Thiry ESPN 

What's gone into Todd Gurley's increase in usage the last few weeks? "Me not being an idiot," Sean McVay said.
I think he is stubborn and thinks he is a lot smarter than he is.  Or, he gets tunnel vision during games and doesn't think.

Todd Gurley had 23 carries for 79 yards and a touchdown and caught four passes for 34 yards in the Rams' Week 14 win over Seattle.

The Rams got Gurley involved early, with the 27 touches his most since Week 11. He had a touchdown vultured by Malcolm Brown with the Rams going no-huddle after a Tyler Higbee catch set them up at the one-yard line. The Rams went away from Gurley for a second time on their next drive, running a play-action to Robert Woods from two-yards out. Gurley finally got his TD on a six-yard run where he stiff-armed Trey Flowers on his way to the end-zone. The Rams have made a point to get Gurley more involved down the stretch with 20-plus touches the last two weeks. They should continue to ride him for a Week 15 matchup with Dallas.

Dec 8, 2019, 11:42 PM ET

Anybody think is dynasty value is climbing just a little bit? He probably won't ever be what he was the last two years but he only missed one game this season and showed he can handle a full load the last two games.

Looking at his numbers, they don't jump out. But he was consistent week to week because he remained effective around the goal line. I think he can repeat his RB2 numbers from this year over the next couple years.

I'm starting him with confidence next week anyway.

Anybody think is dynasty value is climbing just a little bit? He probably won't ever be what he was the last two years but he only missed one game this season and showed he can handle a full load the last two games.

Looking at his numbers, they don't jump out. But he was consistent week to week because he remained effective around the goal line. I think he can repeat his RB2 numbers from this year over the next couple years.

I thought he was going to finish top five in PPR this year even with the reduced workload.  That didn’t quite happen but he is #13 on the year to this point so still a borderline 1.  With the adjustments made these last few weeks I don’t see why he isn’t and RB 1 next year too. 

I thought he was going to finish top five in PPR this year even with the reduced workload.  That didn’t quite happen but he is #13 on the year to this point so still a borderline 1.  With the adjustments made these last few weeks I don’t see why he isn’t and RB 1 next year too. 
Lots of good rbs coming in the draft and Barkley will get a new coach.  High Rb2 seems a safer bet.

He isn't a rb1 now. how can he be a rb1 "too" next year? 

He is in the realm of the rb 15 range and should be

Sure, but you get my point.  With McVay realizing his usage was pulled too far back top 12 is realistic imo.  🤷🏻‍♂️
Ever wonder why he was pulled on that goal line carry to Brown?  I remember when that would have never happened.  Not on that play, but I remember the announcers saying he's the one requesting rest during games.  Somehow I don't believe that.  I'm not sure if it's McVay's concern about his knee, or if it's his ego at work with the way he uses his RBs, or he has something against Gurley we're not privy to.

Ever wonder why he was pulled on that goal line carry to Brown?  I remember when that would have never happened.  Not on that play, but I remember the announcers saying he's the one requesting rest during games.  Somehow I don't believe that.  I'm not sure if it's McVay's concern about his knee, or if it's his ego at work with the way he uses his RBs, or he has something against Gurley we're not privy to.
If we are talking about the 1 yard TD for Brown, Brown's first snap in the game was the play before the TD, during which Goff completed a 33 yard pass to Higbee, who was tackled at the 1 yard line. The Rams went no huddle and so did not take an opportunity to substitute before the next snap. Gurley was in on the first 6 snaps of the drive before Brown came in.

In other words, Gurley was not 'pulled' for Brown on that play.

If we are talking about the 1 yard TD for Brown, Brown's first snap in the game was the play before the TD, during which Goff completed a 33 yard pass to Higbee, who was tackled at the 1 yard line. The Rams went no huddle and so did not take an opportunity to substitute before the next snap. Gurley was in on the first 6 snaps of the drive before Brown came in.

In other words, Gurley was not 'pulled' for Brown on that play.
My mistake, but the rest of what I said leaves me to wonder about McVay.

or offensive line

Unfortunately, arthritic knees don't get healthier.  If this is a problem, and I'm not convinced it is, then it won't get better.  It's hard to discern whether the problem is with Gurley or McVay.
I think it was simply the team trying to save him along with the crappy offensive line. Then they realized their playoff hopes were in jeopardy and they had no choice but to feed him. 

i still believe this is not a gurley thing.  if they figure out their scheme and line woes, i think he's RB1.  Big ifs though.

football fan said:
JohnnyU said:
Unfortunately, arthritic knees don't get healthier.  If this is a problem, and I'm not convinced it is, then it won't get better.  It's hard to discern whether the problem is with Gurley or McVay.
or offensive line
It’s not hard to discern at all imo, it’s all three.  If I had to order it thought it’s 1. Oline, 2. McVay’s ego and inability to make the correct adjustments (looks like he might have finally learned this lesson though 1 yr later/too late) and 3. Gurley’s health (by far the least impactful of the 3 things this year but it will only get worse and become more impactful).  

What are the homer's thoughts on Gurley this weekend? He seems to be ramping it up the past few weeks...gotta decide between him or Jacobs and really leaning Gurley.

Feed him the ball!

mizeners said:
What are the homer's thoughts on Gurley this weekend? He seems to be ramping it up the past few weeks...gotta decide between him or Jacobs and really leaning Gurley.

Feed him the ball!
I've got him plugged in and feel confident in low end RB1/high end RB2 production for a much needed come from behind win this week (opponent had Lamar last night). 

Todd Gurley rushed 11 times for 20 yards and a touchdown, adding three catches for 18 yards and another score in Los Angeles' Week 15 loss to Dallas.

Five of Gurley's 11 carries occurred during Los Angeles' first three drives. The Rams mustered just five plays over their next two possessions, eventually being forced to dropback and call pass on every down while trailing 28-7 to begin the third quarter. It's still shocking the Cowboys were able to bottle Gurley to a season-low in yards without LB Leighton Vander Esch (neck) available. Fortunately for fantasy players, he was able to tack on a meaningless touchdown run with 3:23 remaining in the fourth quarter to pad his stats. Gurley's faced with a tough test against the Niners in Week 16 but will remain a usage-based RB2.

It’s going to be hard to start him against the 49ers this Saturday night.  It’s a roller coaster 🎢 owning Gurley, I went from no confidence to he’s a no brainer again and now back to no confidence.  

Is anyone bullish on Gurley for tonight?

I mean so far the experts have already completely whiffed on Watson, Winston, Hopkins, RoJo and Brady...

Todd Gurley rushed 15 times for 48 yards and two touchdowns in the Rams' Week 16 loss to the 49ers.

Gurley has now rushed for under 4.0 yards per carry in 10-of-14 contests this season, but he's (somewhat) saved his fantasy season with a dozen red-zone touchdowns. Gurley had two of them tonight, one from five yards out and one right at the goal-line. It's obvious that he's not fully healthy and it's unlikely that we'll ever see peak Gurley given his knee condition. Now that the Rams have been eliminated from the playoffs, we may see rookie Darrell Henderson get a few extra looks next week against the Cardinals.

This year was really ugly to watch, but the biggest concern was would be make it through the year and how bad would load management be. 

Gurley didn’t win you a championship but neither did he lose one... second round value and a RB who eclipsed 18 yards 5 of the last 6 weeks of the fantasy season. As the preferred redzone options for the Rams, he did ok.

Cant imagine him going before the third round, and if the TDs drop even a bit, that could create a bad scenario where it’s not an 80% chance at a decent start each week, but closer to 50.  

:lmao:  it was really funny how many people defended this average RB.  Too bad the Rams didn’t catch on until after paying him an exorbitant amount of money.

Do we really believe the Rams are better off with a combo of Brown and Henderson?  I know there are plenty of Henderson truthers on the board that spent a mid first on him last year, but his first taste of the NFL did little to inspire confidence.  Brown is a capable plodder, pedestrian at best.  Just can't see the Rams dumping Gurley unless 1) the injury is worse than any of us know (unlikely based on past year's performance) or 2) they plan to acquire a replacement back via trade or draft.  I just can't see them cutting him loose and riding with what they have.

Users who are viewing this thread