What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] Todd Gurley (5 Viewers)

That was quick. The weird fact about this means no doctor checked him out prior.  Someone either convinced them his knee was good for this season or 5 million does not mean that much to the Falcons.
$5 million seems cheap, it's the same Howard got. But it's still top 10 for running backs. 

How pitiful is that? I mean, I realized they're undervalued but your kicker makes almost that much. 

$5 million seems cheap, it's the same Howard got. But it's still top 10 for running backs. 

How pitiful is that? I mean, I realized they're undervalued but your kicker makes almost that much. 
He is still getting paid by the Rams as well.

Yeah, my guess is that a 1 year deal was what both sides wanted.....

I'd argue that is about what Gurley is worth. Probably more than Howard is worth, but Miami has made a slew of poor moves in my eyes.

I think the argument is that kickers should be paid less. Other than kicker and punter, every other position is probably more valuable than RB.

I'd argue that is about what Gurley is worth. Probably more than Howard is worth, but Miami has made a slew of poor moves in my eyes.

I think the argument is that kickers should be paid less. Other than kicker and punter, every other position is probably more valuable than RB.
That's certainly where the NFL seems to be today. Unless you're Derrick Henry, Zeke, or a few others.  I do wonder if we're going to see more of a drop-off in players actually wanting to play RB. If they can play receiver instead, that seems to be the better play for the individual. 

While nobody here is turning down million dollar contracts, it just doesn't seem really worth it to take the beating running backs do, and make amongst the least of any position in major pro sports. 

The problem with RBs is they get beat up in high school and college.  So they spend 7 years getting hammered by opponents.  They've essentially put 7 years on their body while WR have put about 1 equivalent year.

RBs more than anyone should be trying to get the rules changed so they can skip college.  Then they can get paid before getting hit 2000+ times while making the NCAA richer. 

That's certainly where the NFL seems to be today. Unless you're Derrick Henry, Zeke, or a few others.  I do wonder if we're going to see more of a drop-off in players actually wanting to play RB. If they can play receiver instead, that seems to be the better play for the individual. 

While nobody here is turning down million dollar contracts, it just doesn't seem really worth it to take the beating running backs do, and make amongst the least of any position in major pro sports. 
Honestly, Henry and Zeke aren't that valuable either. The real question will be McCaffrey, because he's an elite RB, and a top receiver. 

I kinda think the bolded has already happened. We've seen several WR's that would have been RB's 20+ years ago. I certainly think Deebo Samuel would have been, probably Laviska Shenault too. Conversely, I wonder if he were coming out now instead of 1994, if Marshall Faulk would have been a WR?

One issue to this idea fully taking hold, is that the lower you get on the level of play, the more valuable RB becomes. Its probably your best or 2nd best player on HS teams. 

I know if I had a really athletic kid who wanted to play football, and wasn't going to be a QB, I'd be trying to get them to play CB. The money is there, and the demand seems to be far greater than the supply. Which is how guy like Trey Waynes get 12 million a year, despite being a pretty below average starter.

The problem with RBs is they get beat up in high school and college.  So they spend 7 years getting hammered by opponents.  They've essentially put 7 years on their body while WR have put about 1 equivalent year.

RBs more than anyone should be trying to get the rules changed so they can skip college.  Then they can get paid before getting hit 2000+ times while making the NCAA richer. 
That is a really bad idea. Most 18 year olds, even the most athletically gifted, are still going to be physically unable to handle playing with NFL players. All skipping college does is leave them with no education. Coming into the league sooner doesn't change the value of the position, if anything it would make it even lower, as the supply of RB's would get even bigger.

The best answer is that the truly elite athletes should play other positions. RB should be to WR,  what G is to T, where its often the place guys get moved when they can't cut it at the more important spot.

The best answer is that the truly elite athletes should play other positions. RB should be to WR,  what G is to T, where its often the place guys get moved when they can't cut it at the more important spot.
It wouldn't work for all of them, but some RBs can play wr, other RBs might have been able to play linebacker. Size-wise anyway, obviously there are other skills they'd have to learn. 

I know if I had a really athletic kid who wanted to play football, and wasn't going to be a QB, I'd be trying to get them to play CB. The money is there, and the demand seems to be far greater than the supply. Which is how guy like Trey Waynes get 12 million a year, despite being a pretty below average starter.
I think you could say the same thing about WRs.  Tyrell Williams is getting 12 million a year too.

:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:  wasn’t too long ago I was being reported for calling him the most overrated player in the game.
Quick look and it looks like most of the warnings for you where when you said stuff like

Thanks for letting us know you have never read a fantasy article in your life.
Be cooler. And stop the :lmao:  back and forth. If you've got a point, make it and back up why you think it. Thanks. 

I’m still surprised how terrified teams seem of him. He’s still 25 and I get he has arthritis in his knee but you would think given his age he could manage it for a few more years. He was ok last year. His YPC was down but it was still best of the 3 backs on the team. The Rams couldn’t run block last year. 

I’m still surprised how terrified teams seem of him. He’s still 25 and I get he has arthritis in his knee but you would think given his age he could manage it for a few more years. He was ok last year. His YPC was down but it was still best of the 3 backs on the team. The Rams couldn’t run block last year. 
True, but he hasn't looked the same since taking that bump in the Chiefs game in 2018.  He went from being all-world to JAG.  And not coincidentally, the Rams offense hasn't been the same on a consistent level since. 

Last edited by a moderator:
True, but he hasn't looked the same since taking that bump in the Chiefs game in 2018.  He went from being all-world to JAG.  And not coincidentally, the Rams offense hasn't been the same on a consistent level since. 
Rams also saw their o-line fall apart between the SB and 2019 season. I’m just surprised at his total lack of value for how young he is and how not far removed we are from him being Offensive Player of the Year. 

Honestly, Henry and Zeke aren't that valuable either. The real question will be McCaffrey, because he's an elite RB, and a top receiver. 

I kinda think the bolded has already happened. We've seen several WR's that would have been RB's 20+ years ago. I certainly think Deebo Samuel would have been, probably Laviska Shenault too. Conversely, I wonder if he were coming out now instead of 1994, if Marshall Faulk would have been a WR?

One issue to this idea fully taking hold, is that the lower you get on the level of play, the more valuable RB becomes. Its probably your best or 2nd best player on HS teams. 

That is a really bad idea. Most 18 year olds, even the most athletically gifted, are still going to be physically unable to handle playing with NFL players. All skipping college does is leave them with no education. Coming into the league sooner doesn't change the value of the position, if anything it would make it even lower, as the supply of RB's would get even bigger.

It's been brought up in a number of threads before (I specifically recall the debate back when Bell was holding out) that very few of the best prospects/athletic kids at the high school and college level are playing RB anymore. They all see the career longevity and the earnings potential at the other positions. I mean WR2 & WR3's get paid better than many RB's and have much longer careers on average to say nothing of how they don't take the wear and tear on their body ending up like Earl Campbell and barely able to walk.

Quick look and it looks like most of the warnings for you where when you said stuff like

Be cooler. And stop the :lmao:  back and forth. If you've got a point, make it and back up why you think it. Thanks. 
Actually, the latter was in another thread when another guy kept derailing it because I said "positive TD regression".  Common vernacular in the fantasy football world.  You know - a type of phrase even your staff uses:

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2019-regression-alert-week-15

"In Week 8, I discussed how yard-to-touchdown ratios can be applied to tight ends but the players most likely to regress positively were already the top performers at the position. I made a novel prediction to try to overcome this quandary."

Next time I'll make sure to report him first for not being cool so I'm not the one who gets in trouble.

I've already backed up my opinion of Gurley with plenty of articles, stats, quotes, etc.  I put 1000x more effort into my argument than the people reporting me because my opinion was different than theirs.  

So How do Dynasty owners or others feel about him being in Atlanta now?
The PFF linked article above has him as a top-15 running back for next year while Fantasy Pros is projecting him with numbers that would have had him at RB9 last year:

Fantasy Impact: Todd Gurley to the Falcons

Gurley is a rapidly declining dynasty asset right now, so if you are going for a championship and the acquisition price is reasonable then you can pull the trigger on a trade to acquire him. If you are in a rebuild mode then selling him is what I’d be looking to do.

I traded Gurley away last year at our trade deadline and the package was Gurley and Preston Williams for a 2020 first round rookie pick and a 2020 second round rookie pick. I used a third round 2019 rookie pick on Williams, and while I am bullish on his talent, I don’t expect the Dolphins offence to be consistent top producer of fantasy stats for the next few seasons. 

Actually, the latter was in another thread when another guy kept derailing it because I said "positive TD regression".  Common vernacular in the fantasy football world.  You know - a type of phrase even your staff uses:

https://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2019-regression-alert-week-15

"In Week 8, I discussed how yard-to-touchdown ratios can be applied to tight ends but the players most likely to regress positively were already the top performers at the position. I made a novel prediction to try to overcome this quandary."

Next time I'll make sure to report him first for not being cool so I'm not the one who gets in trouble.

I've already backed up my opinion of Gurley with plenty of articles, stats, quotes, etc.  I put 1000x more effort into my argument than the people reporting me because my opinion was different than theirs.  
Be cooler. And stop the  back and forth. If you've got a point, make it and back up why you think it. Thanks.

And please drop this now. Little patience today for people that just want to argue. 

Be cooler. And stop the  back and forth. If you've got a point, make it and back up why you think it. Thanks.

And please drop this now. Little patience today for people that just want to argue. 
I know two other people that subscribed to Establish the Run last season instead of FBG specifically because of how these forums are moderated.  I'm curious if you are okay with losing business on top of providing a service (forums) that costs you money?  

The PFF linked article above has him as a top-15 running back for next year while Fantasy Pros is projecting him with numbers that would have had him at RB9 last year:

Gurley is a rapidly declining dynasty asset right now, so if you are going for a championship and the acquisition price is reasonable then you can pull the trigger on a trade to acquire him. If you are in a rebuild mode then selling him is what I’d be looking to do.

I traded Gurley away last year at our trade deadline and the package was Gurley and Preston Williams for a 2020 first round rookie pick and a 2020 second round rookie pick. I used a third round 2019 rookie pick on Williams, and while I am bullish on his talent, I don’t expect the Dolphins offence to be consistent top producer of fantasy stats for the next few seasons. 
🤷‍♂️ I traded David Johnson for him last year. Seems about right still.

Had talks with a guy today, offered him Gurly and my 1.10 for his 1.3 and 2.3.    Firm no.  :(

I know two other people that subscribed to Establish the Run last season instead of FBG specifically because of how these forums are moderated.  I'm curious if you are okay with losing business on top of providing a service (forums) that costs you money?  
Just FYI, there are a lot of us who really like the way these forums are moderated, and that's why we stay.

We moderate these forums where we ask people to be cool to each other and not troll. I believe that's what we do.

If asking people to be cool to each other and not troll causes us to lose money, I'm absolutely okay with that. 

Great landing imo.  What he does with it remains to be seen.
It will be interesting, even Malcolm Brown’s YPC were way lower, similar to Gurley’s when comparing 2018 to 2019.  I’m putting most of the blame on the Rams horrible offensive line.  And with Gurley agreeing to a 1 year contract, that tells me Gurley is willing to bet on himself.  Darrell Henderson really couldn’t do much with that offensive line also, while other rookie RBs were shining on their teams.

It was down mostly because of how horrible the OL played, they were one of the worst in the league.

Tex

Kevrunner said:
It will be interesting, even Malcolm Brown’s YPC were way lower, similar to Gurley’s when comparing 2018 to 2019.  I’m putting most of the blame on the Rams horrible offensive line.  And with Gurley agreeing to a 1 year contract, that tells me Gurley is willing to bet on himself.  Darrell Henderson really couldn’t do much with that offensive line also, while other rookie RBs were shining on their teams.
Excuse me but with the limited carries Henderson got he looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

Joe Bryant said:
We moderate these forums where we ask people to be cool to each other and not troll. I believe that's what we do.

If asking people to be cool to each other and not troll causes us to lose money, I'm absolutely okay with that. 
One guy was called a derogatory name and moderation did nothing.  I have no idea why you assumed they were trolling.  

One guy was called a derogatory name and moderation did nothing.  I have no idea why you assumed they were trolling.  
I see about .00000001% of the posts made on the forum. I see a lot of yours as so many of yours are reported by people.

Now please drop this now. Please be cool to other posters and post good content. I know you can do that. Last time I'm asking. Thanks. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice landing spot for Gurley, an excellent receiving back headed back home to Georgia. Looking forward to see if he can revive his career, even as the NFC South toughens up for 2020.

I'm buying if I'm a competitive team.  Already did.  1.12 and 2.06.  If I'm in a startup or rebuilding, Gurley is definitely not a guy I want.  

The appeal of QB-coach reunions; Bucs SB-bound with Brady?

Excerpt:

GURLEY'S REBIRTH? Don't underestimate the back's dynamic potential in Atlanta

Don't let Todd Gurley's recent release from the Los Angeles Rams fool you into believing he's a washed-up player incapable of making a resurgence as the Atlanta Falcons' RB1. The 2017 Offensive Player of the Year will not only enjoy a major bounceback season, but he will re-emerge as an MVP candidate while serving as the centerpiece of an offense that will light up scoreboards across the league.

I know those are lofty expectations for a running back coming off a disappointing season on a team that was supposed to be a Super Bowl contender, but Gurley is joining the best offense that he's ever played on. The 2020 Falcons have better personnel at the marquee skill positions, and their offensive line is a significant upgrade over the unit Gurley left in Los Angeles.

Don't believe me? Take a look for yourself.

Would you rather have Matt Ryan or Jared Goff? How about the combination of Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley and Hayden Hurst vs. Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, Cooper Kupp and Gerald Everett/Tyler Higbee? What about an offensive line in Atlanta that features five former first-round picks? You want that, or L.A.'s patchwork group that struggled for most of 2019 following the departures of Rodger Saffold and John Sullivan?

Unless you're a Rams homer, you'd pick the Falcons' nominees in each scenario. The Dirty Birds have premier players on the perimeter, including one of the best receivers in all of football, as well as a former MVP at quarterback. The mere presence of Jones and Ryan will create more opportunities for Gurley to get loose, and he's proven that he's a monster against light boxes in the recent vintage. According to Next Gen Stats, Gurley faced a light box (fewer than seven defenders) on 43.7 percent of the Rams' offensive snaps in 2017 and '18, compiling a robust yards-per-carry average of 5.8 -- most among running backs with a minimum of 100 rushing attempts in this span.

Looking at the Falcons' roster and their potential "11" personnel package (1 RB, 1 TE, 3 WR), the offense should face plenty of light boxes. Opponents will be forced to largely concentrate on defending the Ryan-Jones connection, with Ridley serving as a high-end complement on the back side. Atlanta will be able to take advantage of those looks by getting the ball to Gurley on an assortment of runs and passes out of the backfield.

Before you @ me regarding Gurley's diminishing production in 2019, I think it is fair to ask if No. 30's talents were maximized by Sean McVay and Co. during his final season in L.A. In 2017 and '18, Gurley averaged 22.7 touches, 88.1 rush yards and 135.3 scrimmage yards with 40 total touchdowns. In 2019, those numbers plummeted to 16.9 touches, 57.1 rush yards and 70.9 scrimmage yards with 14 total touchdowns. In addition, Gurley's playtime percentages (75.8 to 74.6 to 71.5) and touch percentage (45.4 to 40.0 to 33.8) steadily decreased over the past three seasons.

Did Gurley's health dictate the reduction, or did McVay forget about his top offensive weapon?

Remember, McVay pointed the finger at himself in early December. Asked about what caused an uptick in usage for the back, the coach deadpanned, "Me not being an idiot."

"Gurley still has it," I was told by an AFC running backs coach who studied the Pro Bowler after his release. "They didn't use him enough, but his speed, burst and running skills are still there. ... He just needs to be featured like he was in 2017 and 2018. If he gets the rock, he will put up big numbers."

And as I mentioned before, the Rams' offensive line did not get the job done last season. At the end of the regular season, Pro Football Focus ranked the unit 31st. Tough to run through holes that don't exist.

It's easy to dismiss a running back when he has reached a certain point of his career, but I wouldn't underestimate Gurley's chances of re-emerging as one of the top playmakers in football, especially given his upgraded supporting cast in Atlanta.

(thehuddle) Atlanta Falcons RB Todd Gurley was charged with the dropped pass on a league-high 14.3 percent of his targets in 2019 as a member of the Los Angeles Rams. Denver Broncos RB Phillip Lindsay (12.5) and Minnesota Vikings RB Dalvin Cook (11.1) were the only other qualified running backs with a drop rate of higher than nine percent.

If he gets featured like he was in 2017 his knee will fall apart. There's enough of a body of evidence to never trust Sean McVay and that staff in regards to Todd Gurley. Degenerative knee issues don't improve with more work. He needs to be a timeshare back and managed for the rest of his career.

Users who are viewing this thread