What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Richard Linklater's "Boyhood" (1 Viewer)

Having lost my 8 year old last month, and being a Linklater fan, I think I have to see this film. The biggest torture for me will be in having to imagine what this particular period in my boy's life would resemble. Acknowledging that watching will be very painful (tears rolled down my cheeks just watching the trailer), I'm kind of obsessed with needing to see it.

I'm hoping it will help.

Maybe during the week, when there are less people that have to hear me sniffling...

It's a good coming-of-age film with the unique method of showing the same actor grow from elementary school into college making it special.

Being a film buff and having lived in Linklaters hometown, I decided to buy a dozen seats for a birthday get-together this Tue, 3:15 at the Violet Crowne, followed by happy hour at Truluck's. Not sure if this would be a "safe" opportunity to see it Ham, but you're welcome to join us.

Being a film buff and having lived in Linklaters hometown, I decided to buy a dozen seats for a birthday get-together this Tue, 3:15 at the Violet Crowne, followed by happy hour at Truluck's. Not sure if this would be a "safe" opportunity to see it Ham, but you're welcome to join us.
It's a truly generous offer, but I think I need to go alone, sit in the back near an exit just in case and bring about seven boxes of tissues.

I watched the trailer again last night, three more times - and each time the progression of the kid from 6 to 8 to 12, 16, 18 opened a faucet on my face.

Now luckily I'm able to cry quietly, so I stand a chance of not getting booted, but this is a solo activity.

I'd make a poignant date of it with my wife, but she finally got the nerve to watch the trailer - and she tapped out.

Having lost my 8 year old last month, and being a Linklater fan, I think I have to see this film. The biggest torture for me will be in having to imagine what this particular period in my boy's life would resemble. Acknowledging that watching will be very painful (tears rolled down my cheeks just watching the trailer), I'm kind of obsessed with needing to see it.

I'm hoping it will help.

Maybe during the week, when there are less people that have to hear me sniffling...
wow this hit me like a load of bricks. Sorry to hear this Ham. Hope you gain some inner strength from going through this terrible ordeal.

Excellent film. Definitely some tough moments for me personally. I was overwhelmed by the feeling that I really would have enjoyed seeing my boy grow up, an that he'd have enjoyed his boyhood, into manhood.

Some little moments tugged at me very hard, but I never needed the tissues (much). Mason's story in the film was its own road, his own story.

It helped me visualize and fantasize a bit about what could have been, but the most profound thought I had, and why I am very thankful this film was there for me to experience, is that I can ocassionally imagine what would have been, but I'm going to have to make peace with the fact my son's journey was tragically cut short and appreciate those who are here. I have to say goodbye to the ideas of my boy in this world.

It's in way, the unique experience of this film may help me to do that.

I'm a huge Linklater fan from Dazed and Confused to the Before Sunrise trilogy. I always wait for a movie to come out on rental/netflix but I may go to the theater for this one!!

Was a unique viewing experience. So often during the second half of the movie I'd start thinking back to when the characters were young(er) as if it was a distant memory not something I saw 30 minutes prior, You really felt the passage of time.

Hard to sum up but I found it powerful while ultimately leaving me nostalgic/melancholy.

I'd suggest going to the theater for this one. You need to be locked in. No distractions.

Was a unique viewing experience. So often during the second half of the movie I'd start thinking back to when the characters were young(er) as if it was a distant memory not something I saw 30 minutes prior, You really felt the passage of time.

Hard to sum up but I found it powerful while ultimately leaving me nostalgic/melancholy.

I'd suggest going to the theater for this one. You need to be locked in. No distractions.
Agreed. While I enjoyed it I guess I was expecting a little more. Maybe it was because I didnt like the main character that much. When we left the theater I felt like I had just read The Catcher in the Rye (didn't like Holden either).

Finally got around to seeing this last night. What an incredible piece of art. If this doesn't clean up at Oscar time, they should stop giving awards.

Finally got around to seeing this last night. What an incredible piece of art. If this doesn't clean up at Oscar time, they should stop giving awards.
It immediately went into my all-time top ten. Thought it was pretty much a perfect movie.

A nice cameo by the guy who played the liquor store clerk in Dazed and Confused, pretty much playing the same role almost 25 years later.

Jack White said:
Workhorse said:
I gave up on the Oscars when Goodfellas didn't win Best Picture.
They are rarely meaningful

I just saw it today on dvd. I thought it was really, really well done. Nothing terribly exciting, maybe a little long (but I wouldn't have cut anything out), but it just felt so real. Loved the dialogue throughout, as most of it felt very natural.

It was just as interesting to see how the adults aged from start to finish as it was for the kids.

I would have liked to have seen it in the theater, but I was happy to be able to go back and watch the beginning again after it finished. It was really neat to see him again as a child knowing what kind of person he would end up as later.

Best movie I have seen in 2 years.
Ethan Hawke definitely earned a nomination IMO.
Not a huge hawke guy but i liked him here and could easily see him get nominated.
Every actor was pitch perfect in their performances. Great film
Uh, not so fast there. Stepdad #1 should have had a mustache to twirl; he was awful. Saw that coming almost from the beginning (post-honeymoon dinner scene).

That said, it was an interesting and well executed idea. Even nailed the ending which,given the entire film was a series of vignettes, was going to be very difficult to do.

Workhorse said:
I posted in the other thread, thought was really good but not great. Amazing what they did from a film making perspective, but the story isn't anything that is unique or pushed boundaries at all. Not in my favorites of the year, but agree that it is perfect Oscar material and expect it to win best Picture and Director of the movies I have seen so far. I think something like Birdman was just as impressive work from a director this year. Fantastic year for movies.

jhib said:
I would have liked to have seen it in the theater,
I wish I had seen the theater version, too, so I could see why it was so great. The one I got from Redbox must have been re-edited, because it was filled with characters who were total stereotypes, predictable cliched situations and a conclusion that says "you know everything is OK if your kid turns into Jeff Spicolli".

jhib said:
I wish I had seen the theater version, too, so I could see why it was so great. The one I got from Redbox must have been re-edited, because it was filled with characters who were total stereotypes, predictable cliched situations and a conclusion that says "you know everything is OK if your kid turns into Jeff Spicolli".
i get what you are saying, but it is hard to fault the movie for the characters when it was largely autobiographical.

Huh. To each his own, I guess. I actually know a kid a lot like Mason. Similar appearance, artsy, going to film school next year. Actually, come to think of it, his mom is remarried and his dad lives in NYC. That probably made the film feel all the more real to me.

That being said, I'm glad I watched it earlier in the evening, because there's a good chance I would have fallen asleep watching it later at night.

I saw it today. Meh.

It was like a Lifetime channel movie. If not for the 12 year thing, it would be completely unremarkable.

Question. That Nicole at the end, Mason's roommate's friend, that went on the hike with them... that's the same Nicole that passed the note about him having a "kewl" haircut years ago, right?

The acting was great. The whole twelve years of filming same characters was cool. But it felt empty at the end. All those years and it ends with him doing drugs in the desert on his first day of college? I awaited some type of payoff and it was just nothing. Sure kids are gonna be kids and be aimless and not find themselves as youth is lost on the young blah blah blah. But it didn't really go anywhere. I guess it wasn't supposed to but 2:45 is a lot of time to invest. Hawke stole the show.

Loved the movie. On my top 10 list all-time. Hawke was awesome, as was Arquette.

I walked into this movie with nothing known or read beforehand. I go out of my way to do this when I can and my wife helps out by handling all things related to Netflix...so the first time I usually hear a title of a movie is when it comes across the screen.

This movie felt like a close extension of Hawke's film where he was an author living with his new gf/wife in Europe. Heavy in dialogue, with no tragedies or event-driven-drama to move the plot along; which is a nice feature generally.

I think the value in the picture is in its concept and how its executed; both of which were flawless in my view. Bravo. But the downsides seemed to stack up. Though the acting was fine (with great work from Arquette and Hawke), the main character a bit whiny & introspective for my taste, the writing/script generally weak and uninspired, and the length reached the point of intolerability for us around 2:15. The last 20-30 minutes we were found ourselves actively and loudly asking for it to wrap up. For example, why not cut the junior year trip to UT?

Other items that stuck out to us on the good-side was the fact that both of the abusive husbands created conflict in the audience because they often said precisely what the kids needed to hear, but were obviously criminal in their approach. It made it so that it took some courage for one of us to speak up and say, "you know....the drunk abuser actually has a point". On the bad side was unnecessary political stereotyping (really? a confederate flag for an anti-Obama guy and the "nicest lady in the world" for the Obama lady next door? We're not Rs or Ds in our household and we still found it be gag-worthy).

3/5 for me, but it looks like Im in the minority.

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked into this movie with nothing known or read beforehand. I go out of my way to do this when I can and my wife helps out by handling all things related to Netflix...so the first time I usually hear a title of a movie is when it comes across the screen.

This movie felt like a close extension of Hawke's film where he was an author living with his new gf/wife in Europe. Heavy in dialogue, with no tragedies or event-driven-drama to move the plot along; which is a nice feature generally.

I think the value in the picture is in its concept and how its executed; both of which were flawless in my view. Bravo. But the downsides seemed to stack up. Though the acting was fine (with great work from Arquette and Hawke), the main character a bit whiny & introspective for my taste, the writing/script generally weak and uninspired, and the length reached the point of intolerability for us around 2:15. The last 20-30 minutes we were found ourselves actively and loudly asking for it to wrap up. For example, why not cut the junior year trip to UT?

Other items that stuck out to us on the good-side was the fact that both of the abusive husbands created conflict in the audience because they often said precisely what the kids needed to hear, but we're obviously criminal in their approach. It made it so that it took some courage for one of us to speak up and say, "you know....the drunk abuser actually has a point". On the bad side was unnecessary political stereotyping (really? a confederate flag for an anti-Obama guy and the "nicest lady in the world" for the Obama lady next door? We're not Rs or Ds in our household and we still found it be gag-worthy).

wait, you saw this in a movie theater? And said the following out loud:

"we were [sic] found ourselves actively and loudly asking for it to wrap up"

"one of us to speak up and say, "you know....the drunk abuser actually has a point"

if true, this is why i dont go to movies anymore. If you saw this at home, carry on...

Other items that stuck out to us on the good-side was the fact that both of the abusive husbands created conflict in the audience because they often said precisely what the kids needed to hear, but we're obviously criminal in their approach. It made it so that it took some courage for one of us to speak up and say, "you know....the drunk abuser actually has a point". On the bad side was unnecessary political stereotyping (really? a confederate flag for an anti-Obama guy and the "nicest lady in the world" for the Obama lady next door? We're not Rs or Ds in our household and we still found it be gag-worthy).

wait, you saw this in a movie theater? And said the following out loud:

"we were [sic] found ourselves actively and loudly asking for it to wrap up"

"one of us to speak up and say, "you know....the drunk abuser actually has a point"

if true, this is why i dont go to movies anymore. If you saw this at home, carry on...
Nope, note the references to Netflix. "walked into this movie" perhaps threw you off? If so, my bad...

One of the best films I've seen in years.  And I'm overjoyed that my 11 and 13 year old sons stayed up until 1am to watch it with us.  They loved it too.  Perfect family movie for an imperfect family.  So much it hit so close to our home.  Brilliant work.

Users who are viewing this thread