What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why do we keep putting up with the South? (1 Viewer)

Scoresman

Footballguy
In nearly every category the South drags the country down. If we were to cut off the South we'd go from like 50th in math to something like top 10. http://www.measureofamerica.org/maps/ Southern politicians poison our politics with theocracy and anti-science movements and drag our debates further from facts and closer to cultural identity. The South drags us into wars and pushes the country towards military adventurism in the name of Democracy. Kicking and screaming this region comes into the 21st century with experts predicting states like Mississsippi only LAST YEAR formally accepted the 13th amendment abolishing slavery and if not for the Supreme Court would still likely bar interracial marriage. Hell, a poll done recently still showed that almost half the polled citizens still think interracial marriage shouldn't be allowed.

Now, not everyone from The South is responsible for this terrible idea. It is borne of a history of oppression and imperialism that dates back far beyond the years of anyone reading this forum. However, it is one thing to recognize and act to change as so many brave folks have. Its another for a region to embrace its backwardsness and bring down the rest of the country with it. Bastions of civilization like Houston, Atlanta, Austin, and Little Rock among others, all strive to buck this trend. But the rural Southern White masses strive to bring them down and assimilate them, borg-style, into the Neo Conservative backwards land of Ayn Rand and the not-quite-fiction Zachary Hale Comstock.

Nearly every cultural aspect of the South that wasn't coopted from Black people is also terrible. We have R&B, Rock, Soul, and some awesome cajun food-all originating from non whites. Awesome South! But what else do we have? Oh horse racing, #### fighting, massively unhealthy food grown from the largesse of Southern Whites living the high life on the backs of others, and alcohol that will kill you before you can even get drunk. Nearly every part of it is either taking advantage of someone else's labor, or is actively bad for you.

And ho ho ho, but what about other states that have terrible things about them? Well yeah, a lot of states DO have terrible things. Oregon had a black-face inspired eatery only a few decades ago. Rural New York still suffers from racist activity, and Idaho has seriously considered secession bills because of the way things are going with the most Evil of Evils, President Obama. These are terrible things also bringing the country down. However, the parallels all draw your eye to the Southern states. These Northern states have ####ty things going on because they are emulating the culture of the South-they only have populations not willing to codify it and drive the culture like the South does.

So you keep your Piggly Wigglys, your Chic-Fil-A's, your NASCAR, and your football (boo on that one). We'll take actual culture and progress over that any day.

In nearly every category the South drags the country down. If we were to cut off the South we'd go from like 50th in math to something like top 10. http://www.measureofamerica.org/maps/ Southern politicians poison our politics with theocracy and anti-science movements and drag our debates further from facts and closer to cultural identity. The South drags us into wars and pushes the country towards military adventurism in the name of Democracy. Kicking and screaming this region comes into the 21st century with experts predicting states like Mississsippi only LAST YEAR formally accepted the 13th amendment abolishing slavery and if not for the Supreme Court would still likely bar interracial marriage. Hell, a poll done recently still showed that almost half the polled citizens still think interracial marriage shouldn't be allowed.

Now, not everyone from The South is responsible for this terrible idea. It is borne of a history of oppression and imperialism that dates back far beyond the years of anyone reading this forum. However, it is one thing to recognize and act to change as so many brave folks have. Its another for a region to embrace its backwardsness and bring down the rest of the country with it. Bastions of civilization like Houston, Atlanta, Austin, and Little Rock among others, all strive to buck this trend. But the rural Southern White masses strive to bring them down and assimilate them, borg-style, into the Neo Conservative backwards land of Ayn Rand and the not-quite-fiction Zachary Hale Comstock.

Nearly every cultural aspect of the South that wasn't coopted from Black people is also terrible. We have R&B, Rock, Soul, and some awesome cajun food-all originating from non whites. Awesome South! But what else do we have? Oh horse racing, #### fighting, massively unhealthy food grown from the largesse of Southern Whites living the high life on the backs of others, and alcohol that will kill you before you can even get drunk. Nearly every part of it is either taking advantage of someone else's labor, or is actively bad for you.

And ho ho ho, but what about other states that have terrible things about them? Well yeah, a lot of states DO have terrible things. Oregon had a black-face inspired eatery only a few decades ago. Rural New York still suffers from racist activity, and Idaho has seriously considered secession bills because of the way things are going with the most Evil of Evils, President Obama. These are terrible things also bringing the country down. However, the parallels all draw your eye to the Southern states. These Northern states have ####ty things going on because they are emulating the culture of the South-they only have populations not willing to codify it and drive the culture like the South does.

So you keep your Piggly Wigglys, your Chic-Fil-A's, your NASCAR, and your football (boo on that one). We'll take actual culture and progress over that any day.
Also, what's up with the Jews? Can we get rid of them finally? Amirite?

"massively unhealthy food ..., and alcohol that will kill you before you can even get drunk"

These alone are reasons to keep them

Pat Conroy

The Allman Brothers

SEC Football

New Orleans food

The Blues

I have to say that a good deal of my life's entertainment has a southern origin. I'll take all the craziness in exchange for all the good stuff.

There are so many super dumb people down here that it's kind of scary. And the humidity sucks.

But the women are generally drop dead gorgeous, the food is amazing, there are a ton of beautiful parts of the country here, and a major southern college football game is, without doubt, the greatest sports atmosphere our country has. There's nothing even close.

So overall it's a win.

I'll never forget some cousins of my wife that came down from the north to the Nashville area for my wedding. They came expecting hicks, barns, outhouses and redneck propaganda everywhere, and found a place that was far nicer than most areas in the north. It was an eye-opener.

But keep on believing that it's back-woods down here!

I'll never forget some cousins of my wife that came down from the north to the Nashville area for my wedding. They came expecting hicks, barns, outhouses and redneck propaganda everywhere, and found a place that was far nicer than most areas in the north. It was an eye-opener.

I have lived in southern california and new england most of my life and would take the south over those areas in a heart beat. Bunch of morons there!

Nashville is an awesome city. I hate everything nascar and am not a country fan and, still, awesome city.

I want to go to Nashville. I want to see the Grand Ol Oprey. That's 3rd on my list of southern cities I plan to visit before I die:

1. New Orleans

2. Charleston

3. Nashville

I want to go to Nashville. I want to see the Grand Ol Oprey. That's 3rd on my list of southern cities I plan to visit before I die:

1. New Orleans

2. Charleston

3. Nashville
Savannah's a pretty cool town to visit too. Liked it more than Charleston. Obviously neither is onthe same playing field as New Orleans and Nashville though.

I'm a big fan of the Smokies, so whenever Tennessee is good at football again I'd like to do a parlay trip - white water rafting in West Va, few days in the Smokies, go to a game in Knoxville, hit Nashville for a couple, then double back and do the Bourbon Trail. If I could time the Tennessee game up well with the Bourbon Trail Relay Race that'd be perfect.

There are so many super dumb people down here that it's kind of scary. And the humidity sucks.

But the women are generally drop dead gorgeous, the food is amazing, there are a ton of beautiful parts of the country here, and a major southern college football game is, without doubt, the greatest sports atmosphere our country has. There's nothing even close.

So overall it's a win.
True, but as long as we have a passport we'd still be able to enjoy all that as tourists right?

1. New Orleans

2. Charleston

3. Nashville
Nashville is a great place to live, but I'd think it would be disappointing as a tourist, unless you just love country music. I've also always wanted to go to Charleston.

So overall it's a win.
True, but as long as we have a passport we'd still be able to enjoy all that as tourists right?
Yea we don't need anymore people here permanently.

So overall it's a win.
Probably wouldn't be able to get a Visa. Something tells me if the North and South split, the rules to get into the South would become a lot more stricter, no matter which direction you were coming from.

1. New Orleans

2. Charleston

3. Nashville
Nashville is a great place to live, but I'd think it would be disappointing as a tourist, unless you just love country music. I've also always wanted to go to Charleston.
Downtown Nashville is awesome even if you don't like country music.

1. New Orleans

2. Charleston

3. Nashville
I do love country music (though more traditional than modern). But why would I be disappointed?

This is catching me in a very anti-south mood btw. My wife's family from Georgia's been with us all week. Most conversations are like trying to reason with Sean Hannity.

:doh:

1. New Orleans

2. Charleston

3. Nashville
Charleston is awesome, if you set aside their fanatical love of treasonous losers...

Beautiful city, nice people, casual pace.

Love it

1. New Orleans

2. Charleston

3. Nashville
Downtown Nashville is awesome even if you don't like country music.
True. I guess it's one of those things where it loses it's excitement when you've done it a million times.

Moved to Louisiana from Illinois 25 years ago. I'm not going back.

Good and bad things about every region and every culture. I like it here.

I am not a country music fan but I loved Nashville when I visited last year.

Users who are viewing this thread