What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Malaysian plane shot down in Ukraine. (1 Viewer)

You can't blame Russia for some idiots using Russian weapons. Any media outlet quickly jumping to conclusions is likely propagandizing at this point.
Wait a second. The separatists have a Russian military intelligence guy as a commander. And the Russians may have given them the SAM to begin with. The separatists may not have even been operating the SAM site, and even if they were they may have been supervised or trained by Russians on site. The thing to do here is have an investigation. But so far it certainly looks like heavy Russian involvement.
Plus they were saying this missle system was just taken across the border FROM RUSSIA, in the past two weeks. Basically Putin and his supporters are saying, I didn't #### your wife because she unzipped my pants.

I still do not see the point of an investigation. Even if Russia was heaviliy involved in shooting down the plane, nothing will be done. Sure, some countries may scold Putin some more but that does not really do anything. Putin is moving forward with his plans in Ukraine.

Who: Pro Russian separatists What: downed passenger jet..Where: eastern Ukraine When: July 17th 2014 How: Anti-Aircraft missile.
That is not the whole story. We're talking Russian involvement here.

Who & How: which site, who was there, who operated it, who was commanding it, who gives the orders, who trained them?

Where: where did the SAM launcher come from?

I think the points about past US actions are well placed, it's just we cannot even get to that until we establish whether the Russians had a role and what it was in the first place.

If we could get to the point where the perpetrators said 'it was accident, we regret it, it's a tragedy, let's try to help the families and victims' then we would be able to move on.
What if it was no accident?
I seriously doubt that. - If it was purposeful I think we would be looking beyond the KAL / Iranian situations and would be looking at something more like Lockerbie, but I don't think that's the case here.
So you're not looking for a verdict beyond reasonable doubt. You just want a reasonable verdict.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anything ever come of the Youtube guy who claimed that the Separatist admission tweet was made before the plane went down (and hence was a ploy by the Ukranians to pin it on the rebels)?

:tinfoilhat:

You can't blame Russia for some idiots using Russian weapons. Any media outlet quickly jumping to conclusions is likely propagandizing at this point.
Wait a second. The separatists have a Russian military intelligence guy as a commander. And the Russians may have given them the SAM to begin with. The separatists may not have even been operating the SAM site, and even if they were they may have been supervised or trained by Russians on site. The thing to do here is have an investigation. But so far it certainly looks like heavy Russian involvement.
Plus they were saying this missle system was just taken across the border FROM RUSSIA, in the past two weeks. Basically Putin and his supporters are saying, I didn't #### your wife because she unzipped my pants.
Totally Right. Putin keeps trying to flip the logic. Completely cynical.

I still do not see the point of an investigation. Even if Russia was heaviliy involved in shooting down the plane, nothing will be done. Sure, some countries may scold Putin some more but that does not really do anything. Putin is moving forward with his plans in Ukraine.
I will say this for an investigation: if the Russians are involved maybe it will at least shame Putin in front of his own population, should they hear the news and should they believe it. But in any event I think it should be done for the truth, for the victims and the families/ Let the light shine in.

Who: Pro Russian separatists What: downed passenger jet..Where: eastern Ukraine When: July 17th 2014 How: Anti-Aircraft missile.

Who & How: which site, who was there, who operated it, who was commanding it, who gives the orders, who trained them?

I think the points about past US actions are well placed, it's just we cannot even get to that until we establish whether the Russians had a role and what it was in the first place.

If we could get to the point where the perpetrators said 'it was accident, we regret it, it's a tragedy, let's try to help the families and victims' then we would be able to move on.
I seriously doubt that. - If it was purposeful I think we would be looking beyond the KAL / Iranian situations and would be looking at something more like Lockerbie, but I don't think that's the case here.
So you're not looking for a verdict beyond reasonable doubt. You just want a reasonable verdict.
Look I see your point about moralizing. I don't want a verdict. I want the missile launcher examined, I want the black boxes examined, and an explanation of who made the calls on the SAM site, where it came from, who the commander is, and who is running the show in Donetsk & Luhansk overall. It just needs to be said. We can leave aside whether the USA is morally superior, I just think the facts should come out and this thing should be examined like every other airliner crash.

of course Russia has its finger prints on it.....But no way in hell is Putin going to come out and say yep it was my boys...The US had no choice but to claim our mistake. The missile was shot off of our Navy ship by our military.....This one is more convoluted. If Putin has separation as it appears he does ..he will maintain that separation....Its as if people are waiting for Putin to say...Yeah I shot that passenger plane down and I liked it too...

Look I see your point about moralizing. I don't want a verdict. I want the missile launcher examined, I want the black boxes examined, and an explanation of who made the calls on the SAM site, where it came from, who the commander is, and who is running the show in Donetsk & Luhansk overall. It just needs to be said. We can leave aside whether the USA is morally superior, I just think the facts should come out and this thing should be examined like every other airliner crash.
My asking "what if it was no accident" has nothing to do with the USA and/or moralizing.

If you are already convinced it was an accident, you will look at all evidence, including evidence we already have and that which we don't have yet, to see what you want to see.

At this point, it being an accident seems to be most likely, but let the evidence determine the truth, and not quick assumptions.

What if it was an accident? Like the theory the people were untrained and shot it out thinking it was a transport plane. Do we risk starting WW3 for this?

Some of the responsibility needs to be placed on Malaysian Airlines for flying over a war zone.

My asking "what if it was no accident" has nothing to do with the USA and/or moralizing.If you are already convinced it was an accident, you will look at all evidence, including evidence we already have and that which we don't have yet, to see what you want to see.

At this point, it being an accident seems to be most likely, but let the evidence determine the truth, and not quick assumptions.
Difficult to let evidence that has been subjected to considerable tampering determine truth.

My asking "what if it was no accident" has nothing to do with the USA and/or moralizing.If you are already convinced it was an accident, you will look at all evidence, including evidence we already have and that which we don't have yet, to see what you want to see.

Difficult to let evidence that has been subjected to considerable tampering determine truth.
Unfortunately we live in a world where a person like OJ Simpson, and even a national government, can get away with murder.

The other option is WW III.

The problem is us humans are too much like the violence loving chimpanzees and not enough like the kind sex loving bonobos.

If Putin and Poroshenko were chimps they would resort to violence in conflict resolution, much like they are now. However, if they were bonobos, they'd use rump rubbing to resolve their conflict. They would go back to back and rub their scrotal sacs together.

I think we can all agree the latter is a much better form of conflict resolution than violence.

The problem is us humans are too much like the violence loving chimpanzees and not enough like the kind sex loving bonobos.

If Putin and Poroshenko were chimps they would resort to violence in conflict resolution, much like they are now. However, if they were bonobos, they'd use rump rubbing to resolve their conflict. They would go back to back and rub their scrotal sacs together.

I think we can all agree the latter is a much better form of conflict resolution than violence.
Looks like someone's been reading my global geopolitics fanfiction.

Has Garry Kasparov spoken out?
I never imagined this tragedy, but as I said years ago: Putin is a Russian problem, but if you don't act soon he'll be your problem too.
https://twitter.com/Kasparov63/
Interesting quote in his twitter feed:

For 10 years now we've been hearing the "What a blunder! Doesn't Putin realize how bad this looks!?" garbage in West. HE. DOESN'T. CARE.
Yep, he's got a few interesting snippets there.

Russia rejects what everyone else thinks happened to #MH17. The murder weapon disappears. This is going to get worse.

From what I've been gathering in this thread ... Russia has accomplished with its cheap natural gas what it never could with its armies: subugation of Europe.

How much power does that "natural gas" card hold, anyway? Would NATO nations truly be free to act to oppose "rebels" in Latvia or Lithuania? In NATO-member Poland?

Because who wants to start WWIII, right? Putin's rope apparently has a ton of slack in it.

Some of the responsibility needs to be placed on Malaysian Airlines for flying over a war zone.
Flying at 33k feet in an area that was not considered to be restricted by pretty much every airline? :no:
Yep. Not to ruin this fantastic thread with a bunch of legal mumbo-jumbo. But to be successful in a case like this the victims' families would probably have to demonstrate that the airline was operating outside of industry standard. The question is made more interesting given the FAA had told US airlines to avoid the airspace. But if British Airways, Lufthansa, etc. were not avoiding Ukrainian airspace Malaysian probably shouldn't be held responsible for doing what they were doing.

Quez said:
What if it was an accident? Like the theory the people were untrained and shot it out thinking it was a transport plane. Do we risk starting WW3 for this?

Don't be silly , WW3 isn't going to spawn out of this

Lufthansa & Air France were flying the same route

The Kremlin actually spent months using state-run television to build the case that the Kiev government are a pack of “fascists,” bent on killing the ethnic Russians in eastern Ukraine. It has softened that message somewhat in recent weeks, but not abandoned it.

Hence two senior Russian military commanders, sitting in a vast briefing room and dwarfed by the giant electronic screens overhead, used various satellite images and charts to raise a series of rhetorical questions that suggested that Ukraine and the United States deliberately plotted to shoot down the passenger jet. The unusual bilingual briefing was broadcast live on state-run television.

“According to U.S. declarations, they have satellite images that confirm that the missile was launched by the rebels, said Lt. Gen. Andrei Kartopolov, of the Russian General Staff. “But nobody has seen these images.”He called for them to be released, hinting that they were taken by an experimental military satellite that was orbiting over eastern Ukraine on Thursday because Washington knew what it would photograph.

Among other accusations, the Russians said a Ukrainian Sukhoi-25 fighter jet that was airborne at the time briefly approached the same 33,000-feet altitude as the Boeing 777 and was within range to bring it down with an air-to-air missile.

As for Russia, it had nothing to do with arming the militiamen, General Kartopolov said. “I would like to emphasize that the Russian Federation did not deliver to the militiamen Buk antiaircraft missile systems, nor any other types of weapons or military equipment,” he said.
“Putin is trying to find his own variation of a twin-track decision, because he does not have a clear exit,” said Gleb O. Pavlovsky, a political consultant who once worked for the Kremlin.

“Of course this is a strong blow to him, a strong blow to his strategy,” said Mr. Pavlovsky, referring to the fact that Russian separatists fighting in eastern Ukraine have been discredited globally, due to suspicions that they shot down the aircraft and their handling of the crash site.

“It touches him too,” Mr. Pavlovsky said, “He wants to get out, but to get out without having lost.”
Mr. Putin’s statement was issued on the Kremlin website at 1:40 a.m. Monday on video, with analysts suggesting the timing was aimed more at Washington than Russia.

His usual swagger seemed absent; instead he looked pasty and unsure, avoiding talking into the camera directly and leaning on a desk.

The statement did not break new ground, either. The Russian leader repeated his support for a thorough international investigation, and said Russia would pursue its efforts to move the fight over the future of southeastern Ukraine from the battlefield to the negotiating table. Mr. Putin did not address directly any accusations of Russian complicity in downing the aircraft.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/22/world/europe/putin-calls-for-talks-in-ukraine-and-a-robust-crash-investigation.html?_r=0

Christo said:
George Jefferson Airplane said:
Quez said:
Flying at 33k feet in an area that was not considered to be restricted by pretty much every airline? :no:
Yep. Not to ruin this fantastic thread with a bunch of legal mumbo-jumbo. But to be successful in a case like this the victims' families would probably have to demonstrate that the airline was operating outside of industry standard. The question is made more interesting given the FAA had told US airlines to avoid the airspace. But if British Airways, Lufthansa, etc. were not avoiding Ukrainian airspace Malaysian probably shouldn't be held responsible for doing what they were doing.
Re:bolded - I thought that restricted area was farther south. MH17 wasn't even in that FAA restricted area. Their normal flight plan was but they were tacking north.

The Kremlin actually spent months using state-run television to build the case that the Kiev government are a pack of “fascists,” bent on killing the ethnic Russians in eastern Ukraine. It has softened that message somewhat in recent weeks, but not abandoned it.

Hence two senior Russian military commanders, sitting in a vast briefing room and dwarfed by the giant electronic screens overhead, used various satellite images and charts to raise a series of rhetorical questions that suggested that Ukraine and the United States deliberately plotted to shoot down the passenger jet. The unusual bilingual briefing was broadcast live on state-run television.

“According to U.S. declarations, they have satellite images that confirm that the missile was launched by the rebels, said Lt. Gen. Andrei Kartopolov, of the Russian General Staff. “But nobody has seen these images.”He called for them to be released,1) hinting that they were taken by an experimental military satellite that was orbiting over eastern Ukraine on Thursday because Washington knew what it would photograph.

Among other accusations, 2) the Russians said a Ukrainian Sukhoi-25 fighter jet that was airborne at the time briefly approached the same 33,000-feet altitude as the Boeing 777 and was within range to bring it down with an air-to-air missile.

As for Russia, it had nothing to do with arming the militiamen, General Kartopolov said. “I would like to emphasize that the Russian Federation did not deliver to the militiamen Buk antiaircraft missile systems, nor any other types of weapons or military equipment,” he said.
“Putin is trying to find his own variation of a twin-track decision, because he does not have a clear exit,” said Gleb O. Pavlovsky, a political consultant who once worked for the Kremlin.

“Of course this is a strong blow to him, a strong blow to his strategy,” said Mr. Pavlovsky, referring to the fact that Russian separatists fighting in eastern Ukraine have been discredited globally, due to suspicions that they shot down the aircraft and their handling of the crash site.

“It touches him too,” Mr. Pavlovsky said, “He wants to get out, but to get out without having lost.”
Mr. Putin’s statement was issued on the Kremlin website at 1:40 a.m. Monday on video, with analysts suggesting the timing was aimed more at Washington than Russia.

His usual swagger seemed absent; instead he looked pasty and unsure, avoiding talking into the camera directly and leaning on a desk.

The statement did not break new ground, either. The Russian leader repeated his support for a thorough international investigation, and said Russia would pursue its efforts to move the fight over the future of southeastern Ukraine from the battlefield to the negotiating table. Mr. Putin did not address directly any accusations of Russian complicity in downing the aircraft.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/22/world/europe/putin-calls-for-talks-in-ukraine-and-a-robust-crash-investigation.html?_r=0
1) Yeah, like there's no other reason to be regularly photographing an active warzone near nations you are pledged to protect by treaty.

2) The service ceiling for an SU-25 ground attack aircraft is ~23,000ft without any weapons loaded. I verified that from Wikipedia 30 seconds after reading the quote. The Russians really don't understand propaganda in the modern age, do they?

Does it matter who did the shooting, if the shoot down was a mistake? From reading the transcripts of the intercepted communications, it sounds like it was a mistake.

Or do you think they targeted a civilian aircraft?
If the Russians gave them the equipment then they bear some responsibility.
I absolutely agree. But we already know the separatists didn't just grab one and point it at the sky.

ETA: Do you think the targeting of a civilian aircraft was intentional?
If you leave a loaded gun out, and your kid borrows your gun, takes it outside and shoots it in the air, and the bullet lands and kills somebody, do you bear any responsibility?
Are you suggesting the Russians left an AA missile tank lying around and the separatists just borrowed it?
There was a report in June that a BUK was seized.
And I have this bridge for sale. It's going cheap.
Apparently the bridge just surrendered.

Hollande said the French-made warship deal wouldn't fall under new sanctions because it was finalized in 2011. French officials have also argued that the ship would be delivered without any weapons.

He said delivery of the second warship included in the deal could "depend on Russia's attitude."
Good to see the French dealing with thug dictators the same way they handle their women.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/malaysia-airlines-mh17-crash-prorussian-rebel-admits-to-shooting-down-plane-9622075.html

A pro-Russian militiaman has said his forces shot down Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, according to a report in an Italian newspaper.

When the disaster happened the rebel was told by his superiors that they had hit a Ukrainian military craft. “‘We hit a plane from Kiev,’ our commanders told us. We thought we’d be fighting Ukrainian pilots landing in parachutes but instead we came across the corpses of civilians, the remains of bodies, along with suitcases and bags,” he told Corriere della Sera newspaper.

The paramilitary was from the Oplot fighting unit. He was speaking at the Torez railway station where the bodies were being kept in five refrigerated wagons. The militiaman would not reveal his name or rank, but the newspaper’s website published his photograph with the story.

The account of the rebel, a 31-year-old miner from the Torez area, contradicts claims that pro-Russian rebels were not behind the shooting. “On Thursday, our commanders gave us orders to get on the truck with lots of arms and ammunition,” he said. “Maybe 10 minutes earlier, we’d heard a big explosion in the sky. We’d ‘hit a plane of the fascists from Kiev’, they told us. They added that we should be on our guard because at least some of the crew had jumped with parachutes; white objects were seen. Maybe we’d have to fight and capture them.” But he said his fear turned to horror on arriving at the scene. “With my soldiers I tried to spot parachutes on the ground and the trees. I saw shreds of clothing in a clearing. I approached and saw the body of a little girl, not more than five years old. It was terrible.”

How do we know that guy wasn't really a Ukrainian dressed up like a Russian militia man talking to the Italian newspaper?

But that begs the question as to how did Russia allow a ragtag group of untrained meatheads get access to a weapon that can shoot down a plane as high as 80,000 ft? It would not have even been possible to properly train anyone how to use it in such a short amount of time, given that it requires multiple operators and vehicles to run it. So that means previously trained Russians were probably on the trigger. "Sorry my bad..." is simply not good enough. This isn't a crate of AK-47s or even something like a Stinger missile, which a baby could operate. You can't just give sophisticated weapons like a BUK missile system to a group of ####### idiots that don't know how to use it, and all the evidence at this point appears to indicate that Russia gave it to them and helped them use it.

Exclusive: Ukraine rebel commander acknowledges fighters had BUK missile(Reuters) - A powerful Ukrainian rebel leader has confirmed that pro-Russian separatists had an anti-aircraft missile of the type Washington says was used to shoot down Malaysia Airlines flight MH17 and it could have originated in Russia.

In an interview with Reuters, Alexander Khodakovsky, commander of the Vostok Battalion, acknowledged for the first time since the airliner was brought down in eastern Ukraine on Thursday that the rebels did possess the BUK missile system and said it could have been sent back subsequently to remove proof of its presence.

Before the Malaysian plane was shot down, rebels had boasted of obtaining the BUK missiles, which can shoot down airliners at cruising height. But since the disaster the separatists' main group, the self-proclaimed People’s Republic of Donetsk, has repeatedly denied ever having possessed such weapons.

Since the airliner crashed with the loss of all 298 on board, the most contentious issue has been who fired the missile that brought the jet down in an area where government forces are fighting pro-Russian rebels.

Khodakovsky accused the Kiev authorities for provoking what may have been the missile strike that destroyed the doomed airliner, saying Kiev had deliberately launched air strikes in the area, knowing the missiles were in place.

"I knew that a BUK came from Luhansk. At the time I was told that a BUK from Luhansk was coming under the flag of the LNR," he said, referring to the Luhansk People’s Republic, the main rebel group operating in Luhansk, one of two rebel provinces along with Donetsk, the province where the crash took place.

"That BUK I know about. I heard about it. I think they sent it back. Because I found out about it at exactly the moment that I found out that this tragedy had taken place. They probably sent it back in order to remove proof of its presence," Khodakovsky told Reuters on Tuesday.

"The question is this: Ukraine received timely evidence that the volunteers have this technology, through the fault of Russia. It not only did nothing to protect security, but provoked the use of this type of weapon against a plane that was flying with peaceful civilians," he said.

"They knew that this BUK existed; that the BUK was heading for Snezhnoye," he said, referring to a village 10 km (six miles) west of the crash site. "They knew that it would be deployed there, and provoked the use of this BUK by starting an air strike on a target they didn’t need, that their planes hadn’t touched for a week."

"And that day, they were intensively flying, and exactly at the moment of the shooting, at the moment the civilian plane flew overhead, they launched air strikes. Even if there was a BUK, and even if the BUK was used, Ukraine did everything to ensure that a civilian aircraft was shot down."

CIVILIAN FLIGHT

Eileen Lainez, a Pentagon spokeswoman, said Khodakovsky's remarks confirmed what U.S. officials had long been saying, that "Russian-backed separatists have received arms, training and support from Russia."

But she dismissed the rebel leader's efforts to blame the Kiev government for the downing of the airliner, calling it "another attempt to try to muddy the water and move the focus from facts."

Washington believes that pro-Russian separatists most likely shot down the airliner "by mistake," not realising it was a civilian passenger flight, U.S. intelligence officials said.

The officials said the "most plausible explanation" for the destruction of the plane was that the separatists fired a Russian-made SA-11 - also known as a BUK - missile at it after mistaking it for another kind of aircraft.

"While we may not yet know who actually fired the missile, we have assessed that it was an SA-11 and that it came from a Russian-backed separatist-controlled area," Lainez said. U.S. President Barack Obama's administration has said it is convinced the airliner was brought down by an SA-11 ground-to-air missile fired from territory in eastern Ukraine controlled by pro-Russian separatists.

Other separatist leaders have said they did not bring the Malaysian plane down. Russia has denied involvement.

Khodakovsky is a former head of the "Alpha" anti-terrorism unit of the security service in Donetsk, and one of the few major rebel commanders in Donetsk who actually hails from Ukraine rather than Russia.

There has been friction in the past between him and rebel leaders from outside the region, such as Igor Strelkov, the Muscovite who has declared himself commander of all rebel forces in Donetsk province.

Khodakovsky said his unit had never possessed BUKs, but they may have been used by rebels from other units.

"The fact is, this is a theatre of military activity occupied by our, let’s say, partners in the rebel movement, with which our cooperation is somewhat conditional," he said.

"What resources our partners have, we cannot be entirely certain. Was there (a BUK)? Wasn’t there? If there was proof that there was, then there can be no question."

Khodakovsky said it was widely known that rebels had obtained BUKs from Ukrainian forces in the past, including three captured at a checkpoint in April and another captured near the airport in Donetsk. He said none of the BUKs captured from Ukrainian forces were operational.

While he said he could not be certain where the BUK system operating on rebel territory at the time of the air crash had come from, he said it may have come from Russia.

"I’m not going to say Russia gave these things or didn’t give them. Russia could have offered this BUK under some entirely local initiative. I want a BUK, and if someone offered me one, I wouldn’t turn it down. But I wouldn’t use it against something that did not threaten me. I would use it only under circumstances when there was an air attack on my positions, to protect people’s lives."

He added: "I am an interested party. I am a ‘terrorist’, a ‘separatist’, a volunteer ... In any event, I am required to promote the side I represent, even if I might think otherwise, say otherwise or have an alternative view. This causes real discomfort to my soul."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/23/us-ukraine-crisis-commander-exclusive-idUSKBN0FS1V920140723

If US Intelligence is saying that Russia didn't pull the switch then this should get a lot easier. If it is the separatists or whatever then they should be held accountable and mowed down or expelled from Ukraine no questions asked.

If Russia were to say stop, what ground do they have to stand on? Are they not against the shooting down of unarmed passenger jets flying about the sky? They can't have it both ways. They aren't the ones that pulled the trigger, fine. Now get out of the way while other countries dismantle whatever it is or whoever it is that shot down the aircraft.

Russia not being directly responsible makes this much easier.

If US Intelligence is saying that Russia didn't pull the switch then this should get a lot easier. If it is the separatists or whatever then they should be held accountable and mowed down or expelled from Ukraine no questions asked.

If Russia were to say stop, what ground do they have to stand on? Are they not against the shooting down of unarmed passenger jets flying about the sky? They can't have it both ways. They aren't the ones that pulled the trigger, fine. Now get out of the way while other countries dismantle whatever it is or whoever it is that shot down the aircraft.

Russia not being directly responsible makes this much easier.
I don't think that's what's going on here.

Evidence is mounting of Russian direct involvement.

That the black boxes and the crash site have been released is good. That the missile site has disappeared is not good. Basically as Kasparov said the suspect has wandered off with the murder weapon. Usually not a great sign.

World War on Russia’s Mind When U.S. Duels Over Ukraine

From his perch as Vladimir Putin's adviser for building ties with fellow former Soviet republics, Sergei Glazyev perceives the world shifting to a war footing.

There's a war waged against Russia with economic sanctions and military conflicts roiling Ukraine to Iraq, according to Glazyev, 53, an academician and a native of Ukraine who for the past two years has advised Putin on integration with Belarus and Kazakhstan. Putin struck back this week with a ban on U.S. and European food imports that may benefit the former Soviet allies.

Setting the world ablaze is the U.S., where "hawks" are provoking a global conflict "with the aim of establishing control not only in Europe, but also in Russia, Ukraine," Glazyev said in an interview in Moscow on Staraya Ploshchad, where the presidential staff has its headquarters. On his office's walls are a picture of Putin and an updated map of Russia that marks the annexed Crimea peninsula as its territory.

Months of a slow boil of European and U.S. sanctions against Russia over Ukraine have done little more than harden a siege mentality in the Kremlin, thrusting controversial advisers like Glazyev to the forefront in Putin's showdown against erstwhile Cold War foes. With the country's richest businessmen shaken by the deepening rift, Glazyev's flair for provocation is needed to "intimidate the elites," according to Mikhail Vinogradov, head of the St. Petersburg Politics Foundation.

Twice Sanctioned

Glazyev, a Soviet-educated economist, has been sanctioned by both the European Union and the U.S. for allegedly meddling in Ukraine's sovereign affairs. A former State Duma deputy and co-founder of the nationalist Rodina party, he ran against Putin for president in 2004.

In 1992-1993, he was the minister for external economic relations, and later served as a senior official at the Eurasian Economic Community and the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan. Last year he was considered as a candidate to replace Sergey Ignatiev at the helm of Russia's central bank, according to Reuters. The job went to Elvira Nabiullina, a former economy minister and aide to Putin.

While some of Glazyev's proposals have been rebuffed by the government, such as his list of 15 countermeasures against countries that penalize Russia and calls for the central bank to lower interest rates, his denunciation of outside meddling in Ukraine's internal affairs in January and a defense of then-President Viktor Yanukovych highlighted the turn taken by Kremlin during the crisis, which culminated in the seizure of Crimea in March.

Destabilizing Russia?

Putin, who's repeatedly denied any involvement in the pro-Russian insurrection raging in eastern Ukraine, said last month that "ultimatums" made by the U.S. and the EU are aiming to destabilize his country. He also accused the U.S. and its allies of exploiting the crash of Malaysian Air Flight 17 to force him to renounce support for people of Russian heritage in Ukraine.

These arguments resonate with Glazyev, who said the U.S. is trying to grow stronger at the expense of others, thwarting integration across Eurasia and checking China's clout.

In May, Putin signed a treaty with his counterparts from Kazakhstan and Belarus to create a trading bloc of more than 170 million people. Kyrgyzstan and Armenia are seeking to join by the end of the year. The union, effective from the start of 2015, is intended to yield a free flow of goods, capital and workers, and will level tariff and non-tariff regulations.

‘Anti-War Coalition'

Putin has sought to lure Ukraine and its more than 40 million people into the alliance to build a trading bloc to rival the EU. Yanukovych pursued closer ties with the customs union and pulled out of an association agreement with the EU before his ouster in February. His successor, President Petro Poroshenko, signed the free-trade accord with the 28-nation bloc in June.

Russia can't go it alone against the U.S. and must create an "anti-war coalition" to check the "aggressor," Glazyev said.

"The point of a series of regional wars organized by the Americans, especially today's catastrophe in Ukraine, centers on the U.S. securing control over all of north Eurasia" to bolster "its position against China," Glazyev said. "That's how the U.S. military and oligarchs are trying to maintain leadership in the global competition with China."

Collateral Damage

The effort will backfire, said Glazyev, who spoke before a round of retaliatory steps announced by Russia yesterday banning food and agricultural products for one year from the U.S., the EU, Norway, Canada and Australia. The U.S.-led "economic war" against Russia will ricochet, leaving the EU to pay the steepest costs in the conflict, he said.

The trading bloc stands to lose about 1 trillion euros ($1.3 billion), an estimate he says includes the possible bankruptcy of several European banks and companies toppled after the cutoff in financial and economic ties. An energy crisis in Europe will bring a sharp spike in prices and a loss of competitiveness for European producers. Meanwhile, Turkish, Chinese and east Asian nations will fill the void left by the departure of their European rivals from the Russian market.

The fallout will cost 250 billion euros for Germany alone while pushing the three Baltic states to the brink of an "economic catastrophe," he said. Lithuania and Latvia will lose the equivalent of half of their entire economic output, and the cost for Estonia will reach 50 percent more than its gross domestic product, Glazyev said.

Where does that leave Russia?

Priority Task

"Task no. 1 is to block those threats to economic security that are now coming from the U.S., neutralize them by reducing the dependence of our external economic activity on the mercy of American politicians, whose aggressiveness threatens the entire world," he said.

To further insulate its economy, Russia should abandon the use of the U.S. dollar as a reserve currency, according to Glazyev. Russia, which international reserves are the world's fifth-biggest, needs to diversify its holdings to include China's yuan, India's rupee and Brazil's real.

"If a country aspires to reserve status for its currency, it should behave properly, and that isn't the case today," Glazyev said.

Still, turning Russia into a ringed-off economic fortress isn't at the heart of Glazyev's prescriptions. Faced with a souring climate abroad, the country should promote import substitution and policies aimed at reversing the brain drain that's sapped Russia's scientific prowess.

Paranoid Leadership

"What could serve as our chief response is the implementation of a plan for fast-track development of the Russian economy on the basis of a new technological order," he said. "This plan includes a transition to a sovereign monetary system underpinned by internal sources of credit, an active policy of innovation and support for progress in science and technology."

Glazyev is at pains to emphasize that Russia, a "victim of aggression," must build bridges with the international community to rein in America's "aggressive, paranoid political leadership." Penalizing European or U.S. companies is "counterproductive" because they can serve as allies in a conflict that doesn't serve their interest, according to Glazyev.

Russian nuclear-capable bombers ‘tested’ US air defences 16 times in last 10 days
Russian strategic nuclear bombers and other military aircraft entered US air defense identification zones (ADIZs) at least 16 times over the past ten days, American defense officials confirmed on Thursday.

“Over the past week, NORAD has visually identified Russian aircraft operating in and around the US air defense identification zones,” said Maj. Beth Smith, spokeswoman for US Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).

Smith sought to downplay the incursions that she called “a spike in activity,” telling the Washington Free Beacon’s Bill Gertz that the flights were assessed as routine training missions and exercises.

But an unnamed defense official familiar with the incursion reports disagreed with Smith’s assessment. “These are not just training missions,” the official told Gertz, saying that Russian strategic nuclear forces appear to be “trying to test our air defense reactions, or our command and control systems.”

NORAD scrambled fighter jets several times when Russian strategic aircraft flew along US ADIZs. The planes included a mix of Tu-95 Bear H heavy bombers and Tu-142 Bear F maritime reconnaissance aircraft, as well as one IL-20 intelligence collection aircraft, Smith said.

The bomber flights took place mainly along the Alaskan air defense identification zone that covers the Aleutian Islands and the continental part of the state, and one incursion involved entry into Canada’s air defense zone, she added.
“Such aerial bravado has been rare since the fall of the Soviet Union,” News.com.au wrote. “Until now.”

“And it all appears to be a direct result of the cooling of relations between the West and Russia over the invasion of Crimea and the shooting-down of MH17,” the Australian News Corp site added.

During the Cold War, Soviet bombers sought to trigger US air defenses as preparation for a potential nuclear conflict.

The recent spike in activity after a surface-to-air missile brought down the Malaysia Airlines plane is not the first time Russian military planes were detected in US ADIZs this summer. On June 9, a pair of Tu-95 Bear H aircraft maintained by Russia came close to US airspace during practice bombing while four of the planes were conducting bombing runs near Alaska, a NORAD spokesman told Gertz.

“After tracking the bombers as they flew eastward, two of the four Bears turned around and headed west toward the Russian Far East,” he wrote of the June incident. “The remaining two nuclear-capable bombers then flew southeast and around 9:30 P.M. entered the US northern air defense zone off the coast of Northern California.”

Those two aircraft, Gertz added, made it within 50 miles of the coast before turning around after a US F-15 intercepted them.

Russian aircraft have also made incursions into other countries’ airspace this year. In June, the UK’s Royal Air Force scrambled Typhoon fighter jets to intercept four flights of aircraft in the airspace around the Baltic states. The planes included advanced Tu-22M Backfire bombers, Su-27 Flanker interceptors, an A-50 Mainstay radar aircraft and a transport aircraft, News.com.au wrote. Russian-owned Tu-95 bombers skirted UK airspace and have come close to US property in both Guam and California, The Aviationist reported in May.

In an April incident in international airspace between Russia and Japan, two Russian Su-27 Flanker interceptors flew beneath a US Air Force reconnaissance plane, then “popped up” ahead of the jet, which was forced to take evasive maneuvers, according to News.com.au.

The United States has been flying spy missions of its own, however. Over the weekend, US officials confirmed Swedish media reports that an American spy plane invaded Sweden’s airspace in mid-July. The maverick plane was spying on Russia when it was intercepted, and was evading a Russian fighter jet when it entered Swedish airspace without permission. Air traffic control had denied the Boeing RC-135 Rivet Joint entrance, Svenska Dagbladet (SvD) newspaper said. The incident occurred on July 18, the day after MH17 was shot down.

I'm sure that happens everyday at the Malaysia Airlines PR department - oh you mean that plane, no we don't have an ETA yet, but we are working on it.

The Role of Sergey Dubinsky in the Downing of MH17

Following the publication of “Identifying Khmuryi, the Major General Linked to the Downing of MH17,” additional information has surfaced that further confirms the identity of Khmuryi as Sergey Nikolaevich Dubinsky, born August 9, 1962. The clearest confirmation of our investigation came courtesy of Russian actor Ivan Okhlobystin, who was photographed with Dubinsky on his Odnoklassniki profile. In a February 16, 2017 op-ed with RT (archive), Okhlobystin confirms that Sergey Dubinsky is indeed the separatist figure who went by the name Khmuryi and Petrovsky while serving under Igor “Strelkov” Girkin in Sloviansk and Donetsk.

“Sergey Dubinsky, with the call-sign Khmuryi — a respected Russian soldier, who honorably devoted his entire life to serve the Fatherland, even when his Fatherland entrusted him with senseless and harmful tasks in a period of social disorder in the mid-90s. He had already retired, but he was once again struck with bad luck: a coup took place in his native Ukraine, and as a soldier, he could do nothing except stand up in defense of the Constitution and joined up with the militia in Sloviansk under the flag of Strelkov.”

Aftermath

Following the downing of MH17, Russian/separatist forces scrambled to retrieve the black boxes from MH17. They did eventually find them and on July 2;1, 2014 handed them over in a press conference to Malaysian officials.

In an intercepted call from July 18, 2014 and released by the SBU on July 21, the head of the Vostok Battalion, Aleksandr Khodakovsky, speaks with a separatist soldier about retrieving key items from the MH17 crash site.

While still searching for the black boxes (Khodakovsky later mentions not knowing what they look like), he mentions that Khmuryi (Dubinsky) has a “key item,” which could be a black box.

It is unclear what this item was, but it is clear that Sergey Dubinsky was a key organizer in efforts to find materials related to MH17 at the crash site–with an emphasis that people from “Moscow” want them secured, and that these items “do not come into somebody else’s hands.”
https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2017/03/02/the-role-of-sergey-dubinsky-in-the-downing-of-mh17/

Probe: Missile that downed MH17 came from Russia-based unit

BUNNIK, Netherlands (AP) — The missile used to shoot down a Malaysia Airlines passenger jet over eastern Ukraine in 2014, killing all 298 aboard, belonged to a Russia-based military unit, an international team of investigators said Thursday after painstakingly studying video and photos of a military convoy.

The criminal investigation team “has concluded that the Buk Telar with which Flight MH17 was shot down is from the 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade from Kursk in the Russian Federation,” said Wilbert Paulissen, head of the Netherlands’ National Crime Squad, referring to the missile system used.

It was the clearest link yet published by the investigators to the involvement of Russian military in the deadly surface-to-air missile strike on the Boeing 777, and it echoed findings published in 2016 by the Bellingcat investigative group.

Russia has always denied involvement in the downing of Flight 17, which was en route from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, when it was blown out of the sky at 33,000 feet (about 10,000 meters) over war-ravaged eastern Ukraine on July 17, 2014.

Bodies, debris and burning wreckage were strewn over a field of sunflowers near the rebel-held village of Hrabove in the Donetsk region of eastern Ukraine, about 40 kilometers (25 miles) from the Russian border, where fighting had been raging for months.

On Thursday, Russia criticized the Joint Investigation Team, or JIT, for relying on claims by Bellingcat.

“If the international investigative team is indeed interested in tracking down the real culprits of the MH17 catastrophe, its members would better rely on facts and witness testimony and not fakes produced by Bellingcat and Ukraine’s Security Service,” the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement.

The Russian Foreign Ministry also criticized the investigators for allegedly ignoring evidence provided by Russia, including radar surveillance of the airspace at the time of the flight.

“In these circumstances, we have legitimate questions about the true underlying cause of the decision of the JIT to disclose the preliminary conclusion,” the Foreign Ministry statement said.

Prosecutors said they have presented their findings to Moscow and are seeking answers, but so far have not received a response. The international team running the criminal investigation appealed for help from witnesses who can testify about the involvement of the Russian military’s 53rd anti-aircraft missile brigade.

Prosecutor Fred Westerbeke said the new conclusion raised new questions, “such as the question about how actively involved the brigade itself was in bringing down Flight MH17.”

Westerbeke said the JIT is not yet ready to identify suspects, but added: “I can say that we are now entering the ... last phase of the investigation.”

Prosecutors said in 2016 that the plane was shot down by a Buk 9M38 missile fired from territory controlled by Russia-backed rebels, using a mobile launcher trucked in from Russia and hastily returned there.

Thursday’s presentation went a step further by identifying the exact unit allegedly involved in the transport. It showed a compilation of video and photos from social media tracing the missile brigade convoy’s journey in the weeks before the incident.

“All findings from this forensic investigation confirm the earlier conclusion of the JIT that Flight MH17 was shot down by 9M38 series missile,” said Jennifer Hurst of the Australian Federal Police.

Investigators displayed parts of the engine casing and exhaust system of a Buk 9M38 series missile recovered from eastern Ukraine and showed photos of its serial number, which they said demonstrated it was made in Moscow.

However, investigators said they could not yet say with certainty that it was the exact missile used to down MH17. They appealed for witnesses to come forward with more information about the missile and the role of the Russian military in transporting it.

In a statement, Australian Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said: “That a sophisticated weapon belonging to the Russian Army was dispatched and used to shoot down a civilian aircraft should be of grave international concern. We are discussing these findings with our partners and considering our options.”

Ultimately, any suspects identified and charged will be prosecuted in Dutch courts — if they can be arrested and brought to trial.

Of the 298 people killed, 196 were Dutch, 42 were Malaysian and 27 were Australian.

Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said in a Facebook post that he would “do everything possible to ensure that the actions of the Russian Federation as a state which supports terrorism get an appropriate assessment” in the International Court of Justice.

Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte cut short a visit to India so he could chair a Cabinet meeting to discuss the findings.

Piet Ploeg, a member of a foundation for victims’ relatives, said the Dutch government should not consider legal steps against Russia.

Belgian Foreign Minister Didier Reynders urged all countries to cooperate fully with the investigation “so that those responsible can be brought to justice.”

Users who are viewing this thread