What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Sunday Ticket now available via Streaming options (1 Viewer)

PinkydaPimp

Footballguy
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000365728/article/directv-to-offer-nfl-sunday-ticket-streaming-options

NFL fans who have wanted DirecTV's NFL Sunday Ticket but have been stymied by satellite restrictions are about to get a reprieve.

DirecTV announced on its website the introduction of NFLSundayTicket.tv, which allows subscribers to stream live, out-of-market games without requiring a dish. Fans can stream the contests on laptops, tablets, smartphones or using a gaming console.

Packages range from $199.99 for laptop, computer and phone services (with a student discount available) to $329.99 for the full package on all compatible devices and gaming consoles, including DirecTV's Red Zone Channel and newFantasy Zone channel.

Of course, there are restrictions.

The service is only available to those who: 1) live in apartment buildings where DirecTV service is unavailable; 2) live in metro New York, Philadelphia or San Francisco; or 3) attend college at Michigan (Ann Arbor), Alabama, Washington, Texas (Austin), USC, Florida, Colorado (Boulder), Syracuse, Ohio State or Harvard.

While some residing outside those restricted areas will still bemoan having to pay for DirecTV in order to utilize Sunday Ticket, it's a game changer for those in urban areas unable to partake due to regulations.

Let's say you are a Packers fan living in an apartment in New York and have spent your years at bars either dealing with Giants/Jets fans every fall Sunday or paying for overpriced food/beverages at the local "Packers bar" to watch your team play.

At a rate of just about $20 a week -- less than you'd probably spend at a bar -- you could watch from your recliner on your laptop. Or split the cost with a friend and stream it every week at a buddy's apartment who owns an Xbox One.

The move for DirecTV admits two things: A) Americans are utilizing their mobile devices to stream more and more. And B) the demand for NFL games is overwhelming.

The first Sunday the service is available is September 7.
:popcorn:

I get my buddy's log in and password and watch it on my IPad. Problem solved. No guilt. Those bastages took enough money from me for a decade.

I had it last year via the madden special and it was nice but yea in not sure I want to pay that when I can typically find a free stream. Now if they create an app for Apple TV so I don't have to use airplay that might change things.

I had it last year via the madden special and it was nice but yea in not sure I want to pay that when I can typically find a free stream. Now if they create an app for Apple TV so I don't have to use airplay that might change things.
Yep, I agree. I'd love to know what they're waiting for in that regard. Heck, I'd pay $240 if you want to lump Apple TV's into the console price bracket just to take out a one device middle-man (iPhone/iPad).

You'd think they'd be happy with getting the $199 from everyone outside of DTV, instead of just giving it free to most of their customers who complain.

Pricing is still pretty insane, not to mention the restrictions on who can order it. Don't they realize that if they let anyone order it, and reduced the price, they would probably sell far more that enough to make up the difference?

Of course, that's not the point for them. It's just a loss leader to get people signed up for DTV, and so the restrictions make sense from a business perspective for them. But don't ever think their goal with Sunday Ticket is to actually have a quality service where people can watch whatever NFL games they want, there is nothing about the "fans" in their goals for Sunday Ticket. I'd love to see the NFL either pull it back in house or open it up to multiple services like the other sport packages are, but at close to (or maybe over) $1billion per year, I doubt we see that happen.

PinkydaPimp said:
Yeah, the cost with the Madden special was between $40-$100 for last season, depending on how you valued the game itself. I could see myself doing that again, but I wouldn't pay $200 for the quality of the video streaming I had (not to mention I might not even be eligible for this package as Direct TV is available where I live).

I would order this, but I'm ineligible (I live in a house outside of one of the designated markets). My girlfriend, however, lives in an apartment. I'm wondering whether I can have her order it under her name and then we can watch via my PS4 at my house?

How many people really watch that many games besides gamblers?
Exactly, like what type of person watches that much football, or goes to websites about football, or even websites about fantasy football. Who the hell are these people?
Football is one of the few things that bring me joy in life but that just seems like too many games for even the average passionate fans to watch.

I live on Philadelphia and I would watch games on Computers. For $199, I can get the whole season?

Or would I also have to subscribe to DTV?

PinkydaPimp said:
Yeah, the cost with the Madden special was between $40-$100 for last season, depending on how you valued the game itself. I could see myself doing that again, but I wouldn't pay $200 for the quality of the video streaming I had (not to mention I might not even be eligible for this package as Direct TV is available where I live).
The quality was bad enough that I can barely justify the $40 I paid after selling the game. $200 is ridiculous if it's the same quality.

Everyone who thinks this setup sucks should call the NFL and tell them to get out of bed with DTV when the contract is up next year, and to offer a proper streaming option that is provider-agnostic.

NFL Offices: (212) 450-2000

PinkydaPimp said:
The quality was bad enough that I can barely justify the $40 I paid after selling the game. $200 is ridiculous if it's the same quality.
I'm glad you posted this, that reminds me. If they don't have a gameplan in place to make sure people buying into this don't have buffering issues (you know, like all the other pro sports paid streaming services), there will be many pitchforks in hand from angry customers on this one, since this round of online offering seems much more forthright than in the past (e.g., they're not trying to hide the online offering to keep you signing up from the dish as aggressively as they did in past pre-seasons).

Everyone who thinks this setup sucks should call the NFL and tell them to get out of bed with DTV when the contract is up next year, and to offer a proper streaming option that is provider-agnostic.

NFL Offices: (212) 450-2000
The contract is up after the 2014 season unless they've made a deal since about May. However, the AT&T acquisition of DTV had the Sunday Ticket renewal as a condition and actually gave AT&T the option to pull out, leading most pundits to believe that there is at least a wink/nudge deal in place between DTV and the NFL, with just some details to be resolved.

Even if it was the same price as the red zone channel i wouldnt get it. Red zone channel changed the way i watch football. Cant imagine sundays without it. Never have to click the remote, never miss a big play, its amazing!

Even if it was the same price as the red zone channel i wouldnt get it. Red zone channel changed the way i watch football. Cant imagine sundays without it. Never have to click the remote, never miss a big play, its amazing!
I'm with you and agree on that, but sometimes the purist in me likes to watch a game in the 1/4PM window that's not national because it's a big game, or I'm in a matchup where a concentrated players on both sides are playing, etc. For $200, I'm in to pay it for 17 weeks to dual screen TV RedZone and whatever game I want to choose to watch via the DirecTV online option via console, etc. It's just nice that it's an option if you choose to want to pay for it, just hope it works better streaming-wise than it did last season.

You don't have a team you follow or is that team in your market?

You don't have a team you follow or is that team in your market?
im a 49er fan living in ny but honestly care about my fantasy team more. Plus red zone channel shows all the important plays and they play at 4 usually so less games on. So basically id still rather watch red zone

Your guys experience streaming last year was totally different than mine :shrug: It was flawless after Week 1. Just used Chromecast & worked great on the big screen.

$300+ is steep, but I also think there's value watching shortcuts during the week if I want to re-watch game(s) or didn't get the chance to watch on Sunday.

Last edited by a moderator:
PinkydaPimp said:
I'm glad you posted this, that reminds me. If they don't have a gameplan in place to make sure people buying into this don't have buffering issues (you know, like all the other pro sports paid streaming services), there will be many pitchforks in hand from angry customers on this one, since this round of online offering seems much more forthright than in the past (e.g., they're not trying to hide the online offering to keep you signing up from the dish as aggressively as they did in past pre-seasons).
Im sure they increased their infrastructure anticipating this, but they cant control other peoples networks and ISPs. i very rarely had buffering issues last season though i saw plenty complain. Most peoples buffering issues were likely the result of someone other than DTV. Like an ISP throttling the traffic for example like many do to Netflix.

My wife currently attends UF. I used her name and DOB and signed up for the student discount package. It is $99 + tax for the Max package that runs regular price $359.00. I may have her pull a Van Wilder and stay in school :D

Signed up with the Sunday Ticket TV U for $100 - working great so far and I'm streaming from an Android tablet to the TV.

Sunday ticket for students $100 again.  Can you access from multiple devices if you watch the same game?

Streamed RedZone and Sunday Ticket all day today without a hiccup using Reddit nfl streams. Love saving the money on the directv bill.

Was crystal clear 1080p. Went through my HTPC. Won’t be paying for RZ or ST this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to find a non-paywall full source for this, but in Richard Deitch's mailbag on the Athletic:

Per Sports Business Daily, the NFL is exercising an out in its DirecTV contract to shop Sunday Ticket around and is believed to have some interest from streaming services like Amazon Prime Video. Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger also said his company has explored the package. I’d think DAZN will kick the tires here, too. AT&T has said it believes it will hang on to DirecTV’s exclusive rights for the NFL Sunday Ticket. We shall see.
Amazon Prime getting their hands on this would be so fantastic.

Trying to find a non-paywall full source for this, but in Richard Deitch's mailbag on the Athletic:

Amazon Prime getting their hands on this would be so fantastic.
I really hope this happens. I’ve wondered why the NFL has given direct tv the monopoly on their product for so long. Obviously it’s $$$ but for cord cutters that support out of market teams the only option is Reddit streams and the NFL makes nothing on that.

As an aside, I purchase Gamepass every year and it’s like $100. I’d gladly pay 4X that if I could watch live.

I really hope this happens. I’ve wondered why the NFL has given direct tv the monopoly on their product for so long. Obviously it’s $$$ but for cord cutters that support out of market teams the only option is Reddit streams and the NFL makes nothing on that.

As an aside, I purchase Gamepass every year and it’s like $100. I’d gladly pay 4X that if I could watch live.
Just get a Vpn and buy game pass from outside the us.  You get all live games.

Users who are viewing this thread