What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (1 Viewer)

3 fumbles but a crazy YPC and a score. Will be very interesting going forward to see how his time on the field is affected. Helps that the game was a laugher from the opening kick.

All young players have bumps in the road. It's only a matter of time, whether next week or next season.

Crow has immense talent. That's the thing to keep in mind when trying to evaluate his dynasty value.

Last edited by a moderator:
what stat source are you guys looking at? ESPN has Crowell with 2 fumbles; 1 lost. Hoyer with 1 for a total of 3.
The Hoyer and one of the Crowell fumbles were both on pitches to Crowell. Apparently they assigned blame for one of them to Hoyer.

Crowell also fumbled down field on a run.
The 'fumbles' on the pitches are not concerning. Didn't like the fumble where the guy drilled him. Should have held onto that.

what stat source are you guys looking at? ESPN has Crowell with 2 fumbles; 1 lost. Hoyer with 1 for a total of 3.
The Hoyer and one of the Crowell fumbles were both on pitches to Crowell. Apparently they assigned blame for one of them to Hoyer.

The 'fumbles' on the pitches are not concerning. Didn't like the fumble where the guy drilled him. Should have held onto that.
When they run pitch plays to him, not being able to reliably catch the pitch is a huge concern.

matuski said:
lod01 said:

When they run pitch plays to him, not being able to reliably catch the pitch is a huge concern.
Agreed. I'm all for the pro-Crowell talk, that's what this thread is for, but the kid has serious issues holding onto the football. Coaches lose jobs over fumbles. It is an issue he needs to fix or he won't get any carries.

matuski said:
lod01 said:

Not really. Easily correctable. One was low. That was the one probably blamed on Hoyer. The other simply could have been a case of not looking it in. As I said, easily correctable. What is harder to correct is flat out fumbling due to hits or carrying the ball. He definitely needs to go fumble free for 3 games minimum I think or West will jump back over him.

matuski said:
lod01 said:

Not really. Easily correctable. One was low. That was the one probably blamed on Hoyer. The other simply could have been a case of not looking it in. As I said, easily correctable. What is harder to correct is flat out fumbling due to hits or carrying the ball. He definitely needs to go fumble free for 3 games minimum I think or West will jump back over him.
I can't see that happening. Crowell is clearly a different class of runner. It would be great if he could fix the fumbling problem, but I've seen nothing to indicate that West is any type of threat to him, at this point.

The Browns only have two turnovers on the entire season and Crow had one yesterday and nearly had another so that isn't something the Cleveland coaching staff accepts or shrugs off.

West was on the sidelines and guess who the first player to greet Crow on the sideline was after he scored?

West.

Terrance got sat for a rumored 'attitude' problem. He had troubles in college and transferred to Towson State so he's had 'issues' in the past but he straightened-up and flew right into the NFL.

Considering his legitimate reaction on the sideline and that West has learned in the past after he had troubles and the fact West hasn't had trouble keeping the ball safe, we will see West activated and carrying the ball going forward.

Isaiah needs to not just run hard, he simply HAS to secure the rock.

I think the fantasy owners of the Cleveland backfield are fortunate that Glenn Winston didn't get a shot yesterday or a cloudy backfield situation could have gotten murkier.

Anyone thinking Crowell is going to waltz into an uncontested starting role should reconsider that stance.

It could happen but not anytime soon especially since this ball security issue has sprung up and the coaches don't accept that and they have other safer options.

Crow is most definitely a high bench risk if he fumbles again. He's clearly runs better than the other two, but not so much better that the team won't make an example out of him if he can't secure the rock. Tate was more than happy to retake the lead-back role and two TDs yesterday, after Crow started forearm sweating.

Some of the postings in here are bizarre. First, West was just deactivated, so we're taking that as a sign that he's more of a threat to Crowell's job than he was last week. Second, if ball security is as big of a concern to the Browns' coaches as people are saying here, it would seem silly to rely on the running back whose NFL.com draft profile said he

Can be more cognizant of ball security -- tends to swing the ball away from his body and fumbled five times as a junior
and who also fumbled in the preseason finale. On top of all that, Crowell is so clearly a more talented runner that it barely needs to be said, but I'm sure West will have that job back in no time!

matuski said:
lod01 said:
The Hoyer and one of the Crowell fumbles were both on pitches to Crowell. Apparently they assigned blame for one of them to Hoyer.Crowell also fumbled down field on a run.
I can't see that happening. Crowell is clearly a different class of runner. It would be great if he could fix the fumbling problem, but I've seen nothing to indicate that West is any type of threat to him, at this point.
Watch it happen if he keeps fumbling.

Honestly, the only thing I've seen Crow do better than the other backs is run faster in a straight line. Not saying that doesn't matter, especially in this running scheme, but some of the posts here make it sound like he's better than the other backs in every way.

It was clear coaches are particularly fond of Crowell. I own tate and Crowell. If tate goes down (he will) Crowell will be an instant top 5 back.
Simmer down with the hype.
why?Is tate better than Crowell? Cause he's not. Obviously Cle feels they have something special in Crowell. They made him work for it and little by little he's climbed the depth chart to the #2 back right now. Cle ' s run game is one of the best in the league. When tate goes down and the way the RB landscape is around the league, how many backs would you take before Crowell if he was the #1? Not hype just logic.
forte

murray

lynch

mccoy

foster

gio

leveon

charles

oliver

maybe jennings

Honestly, the only thing I've seen Crow do better than the other backs is run faster in a straight line. Not saying that doesn't matter, especially in this running scheme, but some of the posts here make it sound like he's better than the other backs in every way.
hahaha

His worth is basically tied up in Tate going down though, right?

Seems like the main difference between this game and last was CLE's big lead.

Bracie Smathers said:
The Browns only have two turnovers on the entire season and Crow had one yesterday and nearly had another so that isn't something the Cleveland coaching staff accepts or shrugs off.

West was on the sidelines and guess who the first player to greet Crow on the sideline was after he scored?

West.

Terrance got sat for a rumored 'attitude' problem. He had troubles in college and transferred to Towson State so he's had 'issues' in the past but he straightened-up and flew right into the NFL.

Considering his legitimate reaction on the sideline and that West has learned in the past after he had troubles and the fact West hasn't had trouble keeping the ball safe, we will see West activated and carrying the ball going forward.

Isaiah needs to not just run hard, he simply HAS to secure the rock.

I think the fantasy owners of the Cleveland backfield are fortunate that Glenn Winston didn't get a shot yesterday or a cloudy backfield situation could have gotten murkier.

Anyone thinking Crowell is going to waltz into an uncontested starting role should reconsider that stance.

It could happen but not anytime soon especially since this ball security issue has sprung up and the coaches don't accept that and they have other safer options.
That's about the strawiest straw man I've seen yet. Give me a break. Nobody is saying he will waltz in anywhere and take the job uncontested. He's obviously going to be contested. He's only got one more hurdle to overcome...Ben Tate. He already overcame every other back the Browns have or had since he's been there.

Right now Crowell has more fantasy points than he does touches in the NFL. That's saying something.

He's averaging 5.4 YPC which is tops among rookie RBs.

He's averaging 34% first down rate...that's sick and the best in the NFL for players with more than 20 carries on the season.

He's playing great. But he's got adversity to overcome in the name of Tate and holding onto the ball. But let's not forget that he's only 21 years old and came from a small program.

He's apparently already overcome some adversity. He made the roster as an undrafted FA....that's pretty nice. He's passed a fellow rookie who was a third round pick. That's nice too. All he can overcome is each challenge as it presents itself. If Tate goes down, Crowell will see 20+ carries. If he just does what he's been doing, he'll work himself into a timeshare with Tate. And then he'll be the lead back in the time share. After that, it will be his job.

I think by the time he's 23, he'll be the only back in Cleveland worth owning.

How do you fumble 3 times on 9 carries? Dang you Crow!!!!!!!!!!...........real chance to grab the reigns today...........FAILED
Just re-watched the game. Man, Crowell looked great. All Tate has on him is his pass pro experience and ball security. I heard about the fumbles and it wasn't as bad a I thought (still not a good sign).

1st fumble: dropped a pitch that he should have caught. Picked it up and ran for almost a yard.

2nd fumble: dropped a pitch thrown low by Hoyer. Crowell should/could have caught it. Fell on it.

3rd fumble: had ball knocked loose by a helmet. Pitt recovered.

What's up with only one catch on the year? Is he really not going to be much of a contributor in the passing game going forward? I know he's a bigger back but I'm just wondering if we have another Alfred Morris on our hands here for those of us in PPR leagues

:confused:

West dances, yes, but Crowell cuts back quite a bit for extra yardage. Tate is more the straight line guy. I'm just beginning to warm up to Crowell, but he's definately looking like the best runner of the three (minus Pass Pro & ball security) ...and I own Tate with him too.

If I had to guess, I would say West & Crowell stay behind Tate as long as he's healthy, but if anyone has a chance to pass him, it's Crow.

No one is passing Tate while he is healthy. He is just running too well to justify replacing him.

I am still not 100% that Crowell is locked into the #2RB role either. It's not like Crow has a squeaky clean reputation when it comes to character issues.

No one is passing Tate while he is healthy. He is just running too well to justify replacing him.

I am still not 100% that Crowell is locked into the #2RB role either. It's not like Crow has a squeaky clean reputation when it comes to character issues.
Easy now... you've only seen 2 whole games. The 2nd of which he finished with 3.12 ypc.

hahaha
great response
watch all of his carries this year and then you'll understand why your comment was funny.
In other words, you have nothing to actually say?

I've watched every down of Browns football, BTW.

hahaha
great response
watch all of his carries this year and then you'll understand why your comment was funny.

i've only been able to see a couple games, but i like what i've seen from him. Donovan loves the kid, too.

what is it you don't like about his game?

btw, people made fun of me when i said Richardson didn't look good, so i have an open mind to this sort of take.

has anyone been able to clarify Crowell's "character issues?"

i feel like this may be a dead issue.
From what I read, he was driving a car that got pulled over. The cops found a gun with the serial number scraped off and blamed him. He was expelled. Charges were later dropped. That's all I got. :shrug:

hahaha
great response

cmon man. He has ridiculous vision, great feet, patience, break away speed, tremendous power, lateral ability and he's knows how to block. He just can't fumble or he won't get the ball. Outside of that his raw talent is elite level.

From what I read, he was driving a car that got pulled over. The cops found a gun with the serial number scraped off and blamed him. He was expelled. Charges were later dropped. That's all I got. :shrug:
yeah i'm not saying he's squeaky clean, there's a reason he was cut from the team. but it seems like old news at this point.

yeah i'm not saying he's squeaky clean, there's a reason he was cut from the team. but it seems like old news at this point.
Yes, as in very old news.

Crow was a freshman at Georgia when that happened.

Nothing has happened since.

There remain character issues. Anybody who thinks this isn't an ongoing issue is deluding themselves. This boy is a really talented pot-smoker who accordingly isn't that smart.

I drafted him and hold him now but my eyes are open. Yours should be too.

Yes, as in very old news.Crow was a freshman at Georgia when that happened.

There remain character issues. Anybody who thinks this isn't an ongoing issue is deluding themselves. This boy is a really talented pot-smoker who accordingly isn't that smart.I drafted him and hold him now but my eyes are open. Yours should be too.
but is he any more likely to mess up than the next guy?the league is full of knuckleheads. i'm OK with labeling him a risk if anyone can give me a good reason.

i've traded away Blackmon and Gordon based on their situations, i don't particularly care for risk.

thought there were rumblings about lack of effort/dedication at Alabama St

sometimes the light bulb goes on... he's gonna have to work hard and stay clean if he is going to get a 2nd contract somewhere

There remain character issues. Anybody who thinks this isn't an ongoing issue is deluding themselves. This boy is a really talented pot-smoker who accordingly isn't that smart.

What incident(s)?

That little boy is bound to see trouble again. Count on it.
I don't understand why people try to create a story where there isn't one.There hasn't been any legal issues with Crowell since his freshman yr at Georgia.

There was some rumblings about effort, and it seems to have been addressed by Browns GM Ray Farmer rather effectively.

This little didy is from someone inside that knows, from training camp,

"Yes, Farmer has spoken on a few occasions with Crowell about what it takes to make it in this game. He also spoke with the rookie due to Crowell beginning to show signs of being down in the later stages of camp when he wasn't getting opportunities.

Farmer told Crowell to make his opportunity -- work hard, harder than anyone else. Work longer, longer than anyone else. Play hard, harder than anyone else, make every carry in practice as if it is your last carry - then if you don't make it, you gave all you had and have no reason to walk away with your head down.

Crowell respects Farmer a great deal, the rookie heeded the words of the general manager. Farmer is a very personable guy -- a very real man knows how to talk to these young guys, especially when their spirits may be down.

Leading up to the third preseason game, Crowell got his opportunity and took advantage of it. Late in team drills, Crowell took a hand-off from Johnny Manziel, one-cut a backside run and burst through the hole where he ran square into Kitchen and Kruger -- Crowell didn't let up, he planted Kitchen and raced off into the secondary.

Players hooted and hollered, Crowell grinned and tossed the ball back to an offensive aide.

Three plays later, Crowell again cut-back, hit the hole and raced into the secondary.

RB coach Montgomery screamed out, "that's what we want to see on this field everyday."

Crowell has worked in the same manner ever since."

So...anybody starting Crowell next week @ Jacksonville? Who would you be starting him over or vise versa?

Wait and see what RB's are active? Game is at 1:00

My kind of rb. :wub:

Users who are viewing this thread