What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (2 Viewers)

Browns coach Mike Pettine admitted Isaiah Crowell's role has been reduced due to "ball security concerns."
The Browns were unwilling to give Crowell late-game carries in Sunday's win over the Raiders two weeks after he fumbled twice, losing one. Crowell is the best talent in Cleveland's backfield, but his usage has been discouraging to the point that he can only be viewed as an RB4 stash in fantasy leagues. Pettine did say Monday he'd like for Crowell to "get more touches."

I dumped him today to grab Andre Williams. This time of the fantasy season (bye weeks), most owners with normal 5-6 man bench size can't afford to be patient with guys 3rd on depth chart getting such limited work.

Last edited by a moderator:
:unsure:

Browns coach Mike Pettine admitted Isaiah Crowell's role has been reduced due to "ball security concerns."
The Browns were unwilling to give Crowell late-game carries in Sunday's win over the Raiders two weeks after he fumbled twice, losing one. Crowell is the best talent in Cleveland's backfield, but his usage has been discouraging to the point that he can only be viewed as an RB4 stash in fantasy leagues. Pettine did say Monday he'd like for Crowell to "get more touches."
Gee, go figure.

1 hr ago | by Michael Hurcomb | CBSSports.com

Browns wanted to get Isaiah Crowell more work Week 8

Browns coach Mike Pettine explained Monday running back Isaiah Crowell was limited to three snaps on offense Sunday against the Raiders because he chose to give Ben Tate more work, especially late in the game, because of fumbling concerns with Crowell.

However, Pettine said in hindsight the team wanted to get Crowell more touches.
Very strange comment. If he wanted to get Crowell more touches but had fumbling concerns, especially concerned about using Crowell late in a game, he would have used Crowell earlier in the game instead of sitting him the entire first half.

I'm convinced Pettine is reading this thread daily and intentionally F'n with all of you.
I'm starting to think he doesn't know WTF he is doing.
Winning a lot of games for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing. Without their best player at that.
Don't let that kind of thinking cloud your mind. He isn't giving a fantasy lottery ticket enough PT! That's a fireable, and a sleep with his wife, offense in my book.

I'm convinced Pettine is reading this thread daily and intentionally F'n with all of you.
Winning a lot of games for a guy who doesn't know what he's doing. Without their best player at that.
Do you really think the way they played the last two weeks they would have beaten Pittsburgh and New Orleans? I know four wins seems like a lot.

I'm a Tate and Crow owner so I don't care either way. I just don't see very good football being played the last couple weeks by the Cleveland offense. That's all.

Carry on Snark Pool.

Do you really think the way they played the last two weeks they would have beaten Pittsburgh and New Orleans? I know four wins seems like a lot.

I'm a Tate and Crow owner so I don't care either way. I just don't see very good football being played the last couple weeks by the Cleveland offense. That's all.

Carry on Snark Pool.
They haven't played great football. Acting as though Crowell will change that when it's rather clear the oline is struggling heavily after Mack is just silly though. This team is 4-3 right now and they haven't had their best player (arguable) all season. The point is that Pettine doesn't care about anyone's fantasy team. He cares about winning.

Carry on Snark Pool.
They haven't played great football. Acting as though Crowell will change that when it's rather clear the oline is struggling heavily after Mack is just silly though. This team is 4-3 right now and they haven't had their best player (arguable) all season. The point is that Pettine doesn't care about anyone's fantasy team. He cares about winning.
You will never find a post where I acted as if Crowell will change anything. Thanks for the lesson...I always thought NFL coaches kept my personal fantasy team in mind when making big decisions. Who knew.

I guess we'll see how the season plays out.

Carry on Snark Pool.
You will never find a post where I acted as if Crowell will change anything. Thanks for the lesson...I always thought NFL coaches kept my personal fantasy team in mind when making big decisions. Who knew.

So, what did you mean when you posted this comment in the Isaiah Crowell thread?

Trade him already. This is ridiculous. Those fumbles are so three weeks ago.
What makes you think anyone wants him?
Read amigo!

More than 20 teams contacted Crowell's agents about potentially signing him. Only one made the effort to call their 21-year-old client.

"Ray was the only one who reached out to me personally and I appreciated that," he said.

Over the next 45 minutes, Crowell, his representatives and family narrowed the choices to four finalists. They examined depth charts, contractual commitments and schemes. Crowell's mind reeled.

Have a hard time believing those teams woudn't go the extra mile now had they known then what they know now. The kid can play in the league. You're welcome bub.

This guy was a UDFA behind a free agent signing and early round pick. There were no expectations that he'd contribute this year. And now, only a few months later, people are really that annoyed that he's not contributing as a rookie? He had long odds and a short leash. He'll get another chance.

Anyone who's watched the Browns at all has seen that Crowell is the most talented runner they have, and as soon as he proves the ball handling issues are behind him, it's only a matter of time.

Again, we're talking about a UDFA. Just enjoy the ride. Once he takes the job (which he will eventually, whether it's this year or next), he won't look back.

Carry on Snark Pool.

So, what did you mean when you posted this comment in the Isaiah Crowell thread?

Exactly what it says. Reading comprehension down?

Carry on Snark Pool.

Exactly what it says. Reading comprehension down?
That's too bad. Your comment would have made more sense if you were referring to how he is using the RBs. I officially reinstate my original snarky responses. Clearly Cleveland fans can't handle the thought of winning games.

This guy was a UDFA behind a free agent signing and early round pick. There were no expectations that he'd contribute this year. And now, only a few months later, people are really that annoyed that he's not contributing as a rookie? He had long odds and a short leash. He'll get another chance.

Anyone who's watched the Browns at all has seen that Crowell is the most talented runner they have, and as soon as he proves the ball handling issues are behind him, it's only a matter of time.

Again, we're talking about a UDFA. Just enjoy the ride. Once he takes the job (which he will eventually, whether it's this year or next), he won't look back.
Fumbles are a concern and off field/off season is a concern, other than that, he is an absolute stud in dynasty.

Fumbles are a concern and off field/off season is a concern, other than that, he is an absolute stud in dynasty.
Fumbles, sure. What off field/off season stuff are you referring to?

There is just one. One day, Crowell is arrested on felony weapons charges and kicked off the Georgia football team. But somehow that led to him not even being drafted.

There is just one. One day, Crowell is arrested on felony weapons charges and kicked off the Georgia football team. But somehow that led to him not even being drafted.
There were more problems than that. He was a serial pot-smoker and excuse-maker, and was nicked a lot. And I'm a Crowell owner and a UGA fan. I want him to grow up and do well. I'm afraid the old issues are creeping back into his profile. Hope not.

"I hope Isaiah Crowell and Josh Gordon don't get together and smoke the pot." - my grandma. Anyone still falling back on this guys past is splitting hairs at this point IMO. The guy has been clean and trouble free for years now.

emmitt smith couldnt run behind that oline. if youre fumbling multiple times in practice while your rb competition puts on a clinic.... then youre not going to get the chance to dodge tacklers in the backfield on gameday.

you can hold him in dynasty and keep your fingers crossed but it isnt like tate is an old man on his way out, and west isnt going away. i own tate but just dropped crowell cuz hey why even handcuff that running game? it stinks and there are no cutback lanes. tate/crowell/west are all nearly the exact same size yet tate is the fastest, has the best hands, waaaaaay stronger, smarter, and more experienced. if tate cant get it done then then i have 0 confidence in crowell with his plodding 4.6 speed doing any better, and there isnt clarity he would even get the job anyway.

emmitt smith couldnt run behind that oline. if youre fumbling multiple times in practice while your rb competition puts on a clinic.... then youre not going to get the chance to dodge tacklers in the backfield on gameday.

you can hold him in dynasty and keep your fingers crossed but it isnt like tate is an old man on his way out, and west isnt going away. i own tate but just dropped crowell cuz hey why even handcuff that running game? it stinks and there are no cutback lanes. tate/crowell/west are all nearly the exact same size yet tate is the fastest, has the best hands, waaaaaay stronger, smarter, and more experienced. if tate cant get it done then then i have 0 confidence in crowell with his plodding 4.6 speed doing any better, and there isnt clarity he would even get the job anyway.
I am not certain any of those things are true.

There were more problems than that. He was a serial pot-smoker and excuse-maker, and was nicked a lot. And I'm a Crowell owner and a UGA fan. I want him to grow up and do well. I'm afraid the old issues are creeping back into his profile. Hope not.
LOL. That's really old news. Cleveland knew all that and decided to sign him anyway, and every Crowell owner in here knew (or should have known) all that before they put him on their rosters. The post sounded like something had happened AFTER they signed him, which is what I was questioning. What makes you more worried now about "the old issues" than before?

dropping him for either mathews, sims, or gray tonight. excited he won't be on my roster tomorrow after waivers run tonight

Dropped him for Sims. Need to start someone desperately this week and Sims is actually in my flex. God help me.

I'm not certain about hands or way stronger, but Tate ran a 4.43 40 at the combine (3rd fastest among a RB group that included Jahvid Best (4.35), CJ Spiller (4.37) and Ryan Mathews (4.45)) and was also a standout sprinter in track, running an 11.2 100 in HS. West ran a 4.54 40 at the combine. Crowell ran a 4.53 at the combine. Maybe he's lost a step, but Tate is or was most likely the fastest of the three.

In terms of hands, Tate had the most receptions of the three in college and averaged more receptions per game. He had 53 to West's 36 and Crowell's 26. However, he also played one more season than the other two. Tate averaged 1.13 receptions per game in college to West's .97 and Crowell's .74. That's not conclusive one way or the other as none of them got a lot of receptions and they all played in different offenses.

Your guess is as good as mine as to who the strongest is.

I'm not certain about hands or way stronger, but Tate ran a 4.43 40 at the combine (3rd fastest among a RB group that included Jahvid Best (4.35), CJ Spiller (4.37) and Ryan Mathews (4.45)) and was also a standout sprinter in track, running an 11.2 100 in HS. West ran a 4.54 40 at the combine. Crowell ran a 4.53 at the combine. Maybe he's lost a step, but Tate is or was most likely the fastest of the three.

In terms of hands, Tate had the most receptions of the three in college and averaged more receptions per game. He had 53 to West's 36 and Crowell's 26. However, he also played one more season than the other two. Tate averaged 1.13 receptions per game in college to West's .97 and Crowell's .74. That's not conclusive one way or the other as none of them got a lot of receptions and they all played in different offenses.

Good stuff. There is also a difference between sprinting in your underwear and sprinting away from LBs & DBs in full pads.

Good stuff. There is also a difference between sprinting in your underwear and sprinting away from LBs & DBs in full pads.
Agreed, but I haven't been able to find those times yet for anyone.

But, (and again, unless he's lost a step or two) I'd bet Tate is just faster when you combine his track times with his other times that measure explosiveness. He blew West and Crowell away in each of the combine drills designed to measure agility and explosiveness. Tate's 3 cone speed of 6.91 seconds is excellent. His 4.12 short shuttle time is very good.

Tate's vertical jump was 40.5 inches compared to 33.5 and 38 for West and Crowell, respectively. A 40 inch vert is considered elite.

He also had a better broad jump at 124 inches. West was not far off at 120 inches and Crowell lagged behind at 117. 120 inches or better in the broad jump is considered elite.

I don't put much stock into the bench press to measure strength, but for those that do, Tate put up 26 reps on the bench, compared to 16 and 23 for West and Crowell, respectively.

At least in terms of measureables, Tate is a much better athlete than either West or Crowell (provided again, that he hasn't lost a step or two in the last few years, which he may have). And, thus far, the Browns clearly think he's a much better RB, too.

Dropped him for Sims. Need to start someone desperately this week and Sims is actually in my flex. God help me.
There has been Zero indication that Sims will even be activated this week let alone getting touches.

Pettine has already said, Crowell will get more touches against maybe his best matchup this year, the woeful Bucs who have thrown in the towel.

In response to the post a few up from this talking about 40 times, lol

Watch the tape folks, Crowell is better than the other two, and it isn't close.

Vision, explosiveness are the key here.

I wish I had him, but for those that do, he's at least a hold and probably a play this week.

There has been Zero indication that Sims will even be activated this week let alone getting touches.

Pettine has already said, Crowell will get more touches against maybe his best matchup this year, the woeful Bucs who have thrown in the towel.

I wish I had him, but for those that do, he's at least a hold and probably a play this week.
I have them both, but look up above. The numbers simply don't back that up.

And, I'm not speaking about him being a RB, which is obviously the most important thing here. Use your own judgment on that.

But, in terms of speed and explosiveness, which was the issue brought up above, Tate has the edge on Crowell and it isn't particularly close.

And, I'm not speaking about him being a RB, which is obviously the most important thing here. Use your own judgment on that.

But, in terms of speed and explosiveness, which was the issue brought up above, Tate has the edge on Crowell and it isn't particularly close.
I thought explosiveness was judged by vertical and broad jump. :shrug:

It is, along with the short shuttle. And, Tate was better than both West and Crowell in both of them, by a fair amount.

Pettine has already said, Crowell will get more touches against maybe his best matchup this year, the woeful Bucs who have thrown in the towel.In response to the post a few up from this talking about 40 times, lol

It is, along with the short shuttle. And, Tate was better than both West and Crowell in both of them, by a fair amount.
Yeah, I wasn't referring to what they did in shorts, I was talking about what they did on Sunday in pads, My eyes say Crowell is better.

Pettine has already said, Crowell will get more touches against maybe his best matchup this year, the woeful Bucs who have thrown in the towel.In response to the post a few up from this talking about 40 times, lol

Yeah, I wasn't referring to what they did in shorts, I was talking about what they did on Sunday in pads, My eyes say Crowell is better.
Like I said, he might be a better RB, which is the most important thing, but unless Tate really struggles with pads on and Crowell is able to overcome his lack of elite explosiveness and speed with pads on, then Tate is the faster and most explosive of the two (or three if you want to include West), which is what was brought up above.

Users who are viewing this thread