What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (1 Viewer)

Mike Pettine: Crowell in line to start; Bowe spot safe

Browns coach Mike Pettine gave some clarity to the Cleveland Browns' running back situation Thursday night, just in time for all those last minute fantasy drafts.

Pettine said in his post-game press conference that Isaiah Crowell has the edge to start in Week 1 against the New York Jets over Terrance West. That much became clearer Thursday night as West played the entire first half in the team's preseason finale.

Play NFL Fantasy Football!

The Browns were hoping that third-round pick Duke Johnson would step up and have a huge role in the backfield, possibly as a starter. But the Florida State product struggled with a hamstring injury early in camp, and is recovering from a concussion. The Browns figure to use all three backs liberally, and we wouldn't expect many yards in the season opener against the Jets' massive defensive line.

Pettine also went out of his way to dispel a particular rumor floating around Thursday, saying that wide receiver Dwayne Bowe is in no danger of being cut. While Bowe didn't show much in the preseason, he's due more than $6 million guaranteed this season. Cutting him would be lighting owner Jimmy Haslam's money on fire.

Still, it was telling that Bowe played into the third quarter of the final preseason game. The team needs Bowe to step up, and he only delivered one catch for eight yards. Pettine sent a message by playing Bowe alongside plenty of Browns players that won't be on the roster in 48 hours.

Crow has a tough match-up week 1. He better be on his game or we know how quick this staff is to shuffle around their RBs.

Just not sure what to think of this mess right now.

Everyone think this is a mess all year, or is there someone to own here?

I thought Crowell had the talent to separate, but I must be mistaken (or the Browns staff is clueless)...

I thought Crowell had the talent to separate, but I must be mistaken (or the Browns staff is clueless)...
I bought into the Crow hype last year, but honestly looking at the stats and the video, he wasn't all that good. Duke has a shot to take over the role since we have seen the staff is very reluctant to give West or Crow much. I'm not sure Duke can hold up though. I think it's a year long cluster like last year.

I think if he can hold on to the football he may cement himself as the lead back but Duke Johnson should probably be mixed in as 3rd down, pass catcher back. He may even end up outplaying him even if Crowell doesn't fumble.

In other words, it's still a friggin mess.

47 pages on this guy? Wow!

I have Crowell all over the place in dynasty, but have zero faith in the CLE offense this year. I foresee 8 in the box, Duke getting 3rd down and 2 min drill. Capping Crow at 200-225 carries, with 25-30 receptions. Low level RB2. On the plus side, CLE D should keep them in games and a conservative offense that will rely on the their OL and shortening games.

this screams wait and see

Assuming this year is like last year, Crowell is just one fumble away from a lengthy rest on the bench.
And a couple strong performances from DJ could see him emerge as the back to own in Cleveland. Crowell & West have had a ample time to impress Pettine and have failed. Pettine wants someone to earn the job. If Duke impresses him he'll be the #1 RB.

Browns coach Mike Pettine emphasized Friday that Terrance West must be more consistent.
Pettine said he knows West has the ability to be a productive NFL back, but that his "ups and downs" are holding him back. Pettine credited Isaiah Crowell's "whole body of work" when explaining why he would be the starter. West's roster spot is secure, but he'll be the No. 3 back on the totem pole if Duke Johnson (concussion) gets cleared.
Breaking News: #Browns RB Terrence West on trading block. On his way to take a physical with undisclosed team.
This would be huge for the Crow. Feed him!

Last edited by a moderator:
I own both. Haven't seen duke run but he sounds injury prone in the early going here and that concerns me.

Crow runs tough but he fumbles a bit.

A lot of CLE homers seem to want a Crow/Duke backfield or thought that would be the eventual configuration but West was going to see some amount of work regardless. Without him there I really do think it gives Crow a big boost. Shaun Draughn is currently 4th on the depth chart.

Exciting news for West owners, depending on where he lands. I own all 3 Browns RB's, but was considering dumping West for waiver wire churn. At least West has some upside now.

I'm pumped for Crowell this year. Fantasy guys are always a year ahead. All the hype last year was for an opportunity for Crowell just like this.

Alex Mack is back at center and that's going to make a huge difference in the run game. Prior to Mack being out last year there were massive holes.

Pettine pretty much said Duke's concussion put him too far behind in the learning curve to make a big impact early on. That hamstring thing with Duke is chronic too.

If West really ends up out of Cleveland I figure Crow's got at least 2-3 weeks to really take hold of the position and get me some RB1 production all season. Just don't *%$^ing fumble the football Crowell!

CLE just waived Draughn, if they move West they'd almost certainty have to bring someone else in, no?
They have some other guy I believe that they really like.

Glenn Winston...although I see he is on some reserve non football IR list.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Plains-Dealer says West was at risk of getting cut today, obviously he made the roster though. Speculation on-line is that the Browns are asking for mid round draft picks for West while the going rate for an RB is late round pics right now.

Kind of sounds like a trade's currently being negotiated for West so they didn't cut him. But then again this is Cleveland's back office so who knows what they're doing.

Crowell is one of the more fascinating potential draft "steals" as a RB2 at this point. However, if you're a Crowell owner, you definitely need to own Duke Johnson, too.

So they moved West, waived Draughn and Duke is made of paper mache. Either Crow is in line for monster workloads or they're bringing someone in. Please let it be the former!

If CrowDaddy can keep his mitts on the ball, the job is surely his. Duke, when he returns, will take care of change up duties.

Crow looks the type of back who needs and wants 20+ carries a game

If CrowDaddy can keep his mitts on the ball, the job is surely his. Duke, when he returns, will take care of change up duties.

Crow looks the type of back who needs and wants 20+ carries a game
Crow does need the carries to be effective. I think now he gets 10 td's easy.

This could go so many ways: Crow fumbles his way out of a starting job or Duke gets more hammy and/or concussions. Whoever survives will be a good RB2

I think owning both is the best way to go if you can get them.

duke has a long history of concussions already and may end up even less available for the browns than cameron was last year.

browns will be browns and bring in monte ball or some #### and try to make Crowell "compete" with the stiff, but basically crow has been a windfall rb2 all season for anyone willing to trust in talent.

as long as it's not malcom brown they bring in the time for pretending crow isn't a stud is over

For Crow to put up RB2 numbers in PPR he'll need to carry the ball at least 15 times a game. Morris managed to do it on 265 carries last year which is 16-17 a game. Morris finished the year with 265/1074/8..he seems like a fair proxy.

I just really like Crow's upside if he can get those carries though. When CLE's OL was healthy last year he averaged 4.9 a clip. Also, to my surprise CLE made the 14th most trips to the RZ last year (averaged 3.1 per game) but they have a completely different passing offense this year so maybe it's not wise to hope that stat carries over.

Stars aligning for Crow to have every opportunity to put up monster numbers. Even if Cleveland is trailing a lot this year, should still be the filed a ton. RB2 floor with RB1 upside.

Got him as my RB5 in the 14th of my local last Friday, kinda forgot about him and was surprised when I saw his name, really wasn't paying much attention by that point. Noticed that Duke and West were taken several rounds earlier. Expectations are low but i'm hoping I might get RB2 or RB3 type stats from him since I went WR heavy early, which wouldn't be bad at all for the price paid.

All things considered, wouldn't Ray Rice be the back to own in CLE if signed? The browns don't seem to believe in crow and duke is injury prone already. Rice has a history with the OC, right?

All things considered, wouldn't Ray Rice be the back to own in CLE if signed? The browns don't seem to believe in crow and duke is injury prone already. Rice has a history with the OC, right?
I don't think so. Rice has been out of football since 9/8/14. Not only did he miss the 2014 season, he missed the 2015 offseason, training camp, and preseason. And in 2013, he averaged 3.1 ypc, 5.5 ypr, and had 4 TDs in 15 games. :X

If Cleveland signs him, he will come in well behind the other players, and who knows how long it will take him to get into football shape.

IMO it is actually a better sign for Crowell if the team signs Rice than if it signs Jonas Gray or even Ball.

duke has a long history of concussions already and may end up even less available for the browns than cameron was last year.

browns will be browns and bring in monte ball or some #### and try to make Crowell "compete" with the stiff, but basically crow has been a windfall rb2 all season for anyone willing to trust in talent.

as long as it's not malcom brown they bring in the time for pretending crow isn't a stud is over
Duke had one concussion at Miami, sorry wouldn't classify that as a "long history" by any stretch of the imagination.

Stars aligning for Crow to have every opportunity to put up monster numbers. Even if Cleveland is trailing a lot this year, should still be the filed a ton. RB2 floor with RB1 upside.
Sorry, but RB2 floor? I can see the RB1 upside (any starter has that upside, I would argue), but to say his floor is RB2, I am curious as to what makes you say that. His floor is that he is terrible for a game and Duke comes in and lights it up and Crow ends up getting nothing more than mop up duties for the rest of the season. Perhaps not likely, but really I have not seen enough of this guy to say that he is RB2 floor. You may have more insight. I have drafted him in every redraft I am in because he falls so far, and hope you are right but I am not seeing that as his floor at all. Heck, I would be no more surprised to put him on the waiver wire in 5 weeks as I would be to see him sitting as the 15th highest RB in that time frame.

Users who are viewing this thread