Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
georg013

Isaiah Crowell

Anybody have any expectations for week 1 if he is the bell cow?

Starting with little confidence going against that D. What a tough draw for his first week as the undisputed #1 RB.

Undisputed #1..... :lmao:

i think he means for week 1. isn't duke hurt?

Yep. :lmao: at the rookie poster.

Isiah Crowell = Christine Michael

Except one is a starter and the other won't even be active week 1 and is last on the depth chart?

Good call.

As in drive and maturity.

Crow hasn't shown a single sign of immaturity since being in the league.

Does a lot of offseason work w disadvantaged kids too

In for this season as my #3-4 rb w/ woodhead in a 14 team league (7th round). Hope he can take advantage of his opportunity.

HANG ON THE THE DAMN BALL CROW. (also as a browns fan)

From rotoworld:

Duke Johnson - RB - Browns

Browns RB Duke Johnson was still in concussion protocol on Monday.

Coach Mike Pettine declined to say if Johnson would be ready by Sunday, but the reports the Browns plan to promote Shaun Draughn off the practice squad suggest Johnson is questionable at best for Week 1. Isaiah Crowell will open the season as the Browns' clear lead back.

Related: Isaiah Crowell

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer Sep 8 - 12:16 PM

duke has a long history of concussions already and may end up even less available for the browns than cameron was last year.

browns will be browns and bring in monte ball or some #### and try to make Crowell "compete" with the stiff, but basically crow has been a windfall rb2 all season for anyone willing to trust in talent.

as long as it's not malcom brown they bring in the time for pretending crow isn't a stud is over

Duke had one concussion at Miami, sorry wouldn't classify that as a "long history" by any stretch of the imagination.

people who are close to the miami program will confirm they often refuse to acknowledge concussions and just list it as something else. it's entirely feasible that this is his fifth or even sixth.

i like duke as a talent, but even if he manages to stay on the field it's more a hill-gio situation which really only caps crows upside.

that said he's a jordan reed level risk and a firm DND for me

Huh?

Jordan Reed level risk? He had one broken ankle in college and he gets labeled "Jordan Reed" ?

He had one concussion in college.

i literally just tried to tell you this isn't true

he's had several concussions

duke has a long history of concussions already and may end up even less available for the browns than cameron was last year.

browns will be browns and bring in monte ball or some #### and try to make Crowell "compete" with the stiff, but basically crow has been a windfall rb2 all season for anyone willing to trust in talent.

as long as it's not malcom brown they bring in the time for pretending crow isn't a stud is over

Duke had one concussion at Miami, sorry wouldn't classify that as a "long history" by any stretch of the imagination.

people who are close to the miami program will confirm they often refuse to acknowledge concussions and just list it as something else. it's entirely feasible that this is his fifth or even sixth.

i like duke as a talent, but even if he manages to stay on the field it's more a hill-gio situation which really only caps crows upside.

that said he's a jordan reed level risk and a firm DND for me

Huh?

Jordan Reed level risk? He had one broken ankle in college and he gets labeled "Jordan Reed" ?

He had one concussion in college.

i literally just tried to tell you this isn't true

he's had several concussions

2 is several?

duke had multiple concussions at miami.

as in more than 2 at the minimum

they just don't like to call them concussions, so they don't.

Oh, so you're just making it up as you go. Nice.

hahaha, ok dude.

they're one of the many programs that has a track record of misreporting concussions, and the ncaa has no interest in making that particular number look any higher than it has to

concussive brain trauma becomes an almost compounding injury, each one increases the chances to suffer more in the future, and it often takes longer to recover from each successive one

if you wanna turn a blind eye to it that's cool, go ahead and draft dudes like reed, cameron, swope, duke johnson

just get used to seeing "still in concussion protocol" two weeks after their most recent contribution to your squad when they go out mid game and the announcers say he's "shaken up on the play" :rolleyes:

Edited by FantasySeer

Don't expect anyone to buy it if you can't source it, and don't come in spouting it like it's definitive. Wild speculation is rampant these days and you're part of the problem when you contribute to it.

Jordan Reed went to Florida, Jordan Cameron went to USC, and Ryan Swope went to A&M, so you're missing the mark if you are shooting for some kind of institutional pattern.

• Like 1

hahaha, ok dude.

they're one of the many programs that has a track record of misreporting concussions, and the ncaa has no interest in making that particular number look any higher than it has to

concussive brain trauma becomes an almost compounding injury, each one increases the chances to suffer more in the future, and it often takes longer to recover from each successive one

if you wanna turn a blind eye to it that's cool, go ahead and draft dudes like reed, cameron, swope, duke johnson

just get used to seeing "still in concussion protocol" two weeks after their most recent contribution to your squad when they go out mid game and the announcers say he's "shaken up on the play" :rolleyes:

Have you watched a good bit of Miami football? I ask because that would really be the biggest clue as to how many concussions he has had. There is only one officially documented but there have been other situations where concussions could have occurred but were not labeled as such.

Poking around the internet I found this article from ESPN where they mention he was limited in a few games in 2013 (the year he broke his ankle) after taking hits to the head:

His freshman season, Johnson played through a foot injury and was not durable enough to be an every-down back. Before he broke his ankle last season, Johnson was limited in several games after taking big hits to the head. Johnson, who suffers from migraines, said that was the reason he was pulled early against Savannah State, USF and North Carolina.

He has a history of migraines which goes back to when he was a child. He claims that his issues in 2013 were migraines and not concussions even though they were brought on by hits to his head. I guess its pretty concerning either way.

Johnson has a history of migraines and said on a teleconference that he took a knee to the head while trying to block. On the next drive, Johnson said he "kind of felt a headache coming on because I suffer from headaches, so I went to the training staff after that."

There is some smoke here.

• Like 2

Don't expect anyone to buy it if you can't source it, and don't come in spouting it like it's definitive. Wild speculation is rampant these days and you're part of the problem when you contribute to it.

Jordan Reed went to Florida, Jordan Cameron went to USC, and Ryan Swope went to A&M, so you're missing the mark if you are shooting for some kind of institutional pattern.

it's not about one program in particular. it's about a systemic denial throughout the sport.

i can only go on what my own digging turns up from a medley of sources. i've seen multiple people who follow the program talk about this as a recurring concern with duke.

of course i can't be a hundred percent it's accurate, but that's the nature of the game. you dig up what you can and go on best available info. from what i can tell he's a firm DND

the bottom line is crowell is the the most talented back on the roster, and he's the healthiest. he got labeled a "character concern" early in his career though and the football crowd (coaches and fans alike) are pretty conservative and more interested in narrative that they should be so everyone's looked for reasons to support any one else over him to produce, coaches included.

Edited by FantasySeer

hahaha, ok dude.

Have you watched a good bit of Miami football? I ask because that would really be the biggest clue as to how many concussions he has had. There is only one officially documented but there have been other situations where concussions could have occurred but were not labeled as such.

Poking around the internet I found this article from ESPN where they mention he was limited in a few games in 2013 (the year he broke his ankle) after taking hits to the head:

His freshman season, Johnson played through a foot injury and was not durable enough to be an every-down back. Before he broke his ankle last season, Johnson was limited in several games after taking big hits to the head. Johnson, who suffers from migraines, said that was the reason he was pulled early against Savannah State, USF and North Carolina.

He has a history of migraines which goes back to when he was a child. He claims that his issues in 2013 were migraines and not concussions even though they were brought on by hits to his head. I guess its pretty concerning either way.

Johnson has a history of migraines and said on a teleconference that he took a knee to the head while trying to block. On the next drive, Johnson said he "kind of felt a headache coming on because I suffer from headaches, so I went to the training staff after that."

Percy Harvin had migraines as well and took himself out of games at times because of them flaring up.

The Vikings doctors discovered it was a sleep related disorder and that with a special pillow the issue pretty much went away.

Not saying this is the same as Duke Johnson. I don't know. It just reminded me of Harvin also having migraine problems.

hahaha, ok dude.

Percy Harvin had migraines as well and took himself out of games at times because of them flaring up.

The Vikings doctors discovered it was a sleep related disorder and that with a special pillow the issue pretty much went away.

Not saying this is the same as Duke Johnson. I don't know. It just reminded me of Harvin also having migraine problems.

And now Harvin sucks. :oldunsure:

Crow owners get what they want....the opportunity. He can seal the deal with good running and ball security. Tough first matchup though.

Lots of tough matchups this year. 3rd most difficult RB schedule according to Fantasy Pros.

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php?position=RB

With no passing game to prevent opposing defenses from stacking to box , the potential to be playing from behind a lot, Duke Johnson playing in passing situations, it's going to be very difficult for Crowell to have much success this year. He may be a good RB, but it's hard to imagine he'll be good enough to overcome his terrible situation and bring the kind of fantasy success Crowell owners are hoping for.

• Like 1

I think Jahvid Best...sorry...Duke Johnson will be just fine in a few weeks. Anyone believing he will become a 3 down back is either delusional or named Bracie.

Crow owners get what they want....the opportunity. He can seal the deal with good running and ball security. Tough first matchup though.

Lots of tough matchups this year. 3rd most difficult RB schedule according to Fantasy Pros.http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/strength-of-schedule.php?position=RB

With no passing game to prevent opposing defenses from stacking to box , the potential to be playing from behind a lot, Duke Johnson playing in passing situations, it's going to be very difficult for Crowell to have much success this year. He may be a good RB, but it's hard to imagine he'll be good enough to overcome his terrible situation and bring the kind of fantasy success Crowell owners are hoping for.

Maybe the RB schedule is harder this year but that could easily be offset by having the O-line go from subpar to top 3 with Mack back at center this year. Passing game isn't any worse than last year and if Crowell had his carries plus West's he'd have been a top fantasy 20 RB easy, maybe better than that.

My hesitation with Crowell is that the coaching staff seems hesitant to get fully behind the guy for whatever reason. I picked up the Duke off waivers. Now I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop and they bring in some washed up vet to suck up 1st team carries.

Total speculation: but I feel like without a breakout performance in the first few weeks that forces the coaches to say "He's the guy" Cleveland will find a way to make this annoying again this year. But annoying without West in the picture could still be solid RB2 number's by the end of the season.

it's not about one program in particular. it's about a systemic denial throughout the sport.

i can only go on what my own digging turns up from a medley of sources. i've seen multiple people who follow the program talk about this as a recurring concern with duke.

of course i can't be a hundred percent it's accurate, but that's the nature of the game. you dig up what you can and go on best available info. from what i can tell he's a firm DND

the bottom line is crowell is the the most talented back on the roster, and he's the healthiest. he got labeled a "character concern" early in his career though and the football crowd (coaches and fans alike) are pretty conservative and more interested in narrative that they should be so everyone's looked for reasons to support any one else over him to produce, coaches included.

I agree with you on Crowell, and I am heavily invested in him That doesn't change the fact that you have yet to show us one single example from your "medley of sources". Sorry, but "I hear from some dude" doesn't cut it. You say multiple programs have a history of not reporting it, yet you give three individual examples from three different programs. That's not systemic, that's three single instances. And you're tossing down eye-rolls?

[chriscarter]c'mon man[/chriscarter]

Interesting that Duke is a consensus 2nd-3rd round grade by most of the scouting community and top 5 RB in this draft class, but every one of them missed this critical information about multiple concussions. I see plenty of evidence about his migraines, but nothing about multiple concussions. Either they are all really misinformed or somebody is cracking wise information that has no sources.

My point is not to attack or call anybody out, because as an owner of both Crow and Duke, I'm getting more and more worried about his health long term. And it does signify something when a guy has been in concussion protocol for this long. Just not buying the whole "you should have known better" rhetoric. I think every Duke owner feels somewhat blindsided.

Lots of tough matchups this year. 3rd most difficult RB schedule according to Fantasy Pros.

Crow's schedule last year when Mack was under center (weeks 1-4, and 6) wasn't exactly cake and he was averaging 5.4ypc (44/237/4). One opponent was BAL, who ended up allowing the least amount of points to RBs by years end. In that game Crow finished with 11/55/1 stat line and was one of the few RBs to run effectively vs. them all year save Bell and West (week 17). I feel like this OL can help offset a bad SoS, plus we know we need to take SoS rankings with a grain of salt.

Despite losing a key piece of their running game before mid season, this is a team who ranked 7th in rushing attempts and 3rd in rushing TDs per game by years end. They really wanted to run despite seeing a huge drop in efficiency post Mack injury. This year nothing fundamentally changes (CLE's top 2 WRs were Austin/Hawkins in 14) expect the OL is healthy and Crow gets a substantially larger piece of the pie. It's hard not to like Crow's upside.

EDIT: Also, compare him to some of the RBs going substantially ahead of him in draft. You have players like Hyde and Morris going in the 4/5th who have similar roles in their (projected) poor offenses this year. Assuming he gets the requisite volume, Crow seems like a steal in comparison.

Edited by SameSongNDance
  • Like 1

Good posting here, Crow gets his shot first. Roto is reporting Duke has been cleared and is expected to play this week, so Crow needs to shine

I think Jahvid Best...sorry...Duke Johnson will be just fine in a few weeks. Anyone believing he will become a 3 down back is either delusional or named Bracie.

Maybe so, but they didn't spend a 3rd round pick on him to have him sit around. I fully believe he'll push Crowell for early down carries in a few weeks. He's just not that talented (undrafted out of Alabama State) and he fumbles a lot. I see Duke doing a lot of damage with 10-15 touches a week (a la Charles).

Besides, with West gone, it's not like he has a lot of competition there.

Edited by hotlanta

I keep reading people say Crowell is not talented. Go back and watch his games last year before Mack went down and then come back and say the same. I double dawg pound dare you.

The Crow has decent vision, exceptional burst and sweaty forearms. We'll see what happens.

Look at his game log from last year. This guy fested on the pitiful PIT and ATL defenses and did very little otherwise against solid run defenses. The proof is in the details, folks. This guy is a worthless bumb.

Dec 28 @Bal L 10-20 4 6 1.5 2 0 1 1 16 16.0 16 0 0 0 Dec 21 @Car L 13-17 16 55 3.4 26 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Dec 14 Cin L 0-30 7 17 2.4 9 0 2 3 10 5.0 6 0 0 0 Dec 7 Ind L 24-25 14 54 3.9 13 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Nov 30 @Buf L 10-26 17 29 1.7 11 0 1 2 15 15.0 15 0 0 0 Nov 23 @Atl W 26-24 12 88 7.3 26 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Nov 16 Hou L 7-23 14 61 4.4 35 0 2 4 30 15.0 19 0 1 1 Nov 6 @Cin W 24-3 12 41 3.4 6 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Oct 26 Oak W 23-13 1 1 1.0 1 0 1 1 8 8.0 8 0 0 0 Oct 19 @Jax L 6-24 7 18 2.6 11 0 1 2 5 5.0 5 0 0 0 Oct 12 Pit W 31-10 11 77 7.0 24 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 Oct 5 @Ten W 29-28 6 19 3.2 11 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Sep 21 Bal L 21-23 11 55 5.0 22 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Sep 14 NO W 26-24 11 54 4.9 17 0 1 1 3 3.0 3 0 0 0 Sep 7 @Pit L 27-30 5 32 6.4 16 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Totals 148 607 4.1 35 8 9 14 87 9.7 19 0 3 2 Edited by hotlanta

. He's just not that talented (undrafted out of Alabama State) .

Yeah, the stuff he did at Georgia was make believe.
  • Like 3

Look at his game log from last year. This guy fested on the pitiful PIT and ATL defenses and did very little otherwise against solid run defenses. The proof is in the details, folks. This guy is a worthless bumb.

Dec 28 @Bal L 10-20 4 6 1.5 2 0 1 1 16 16.0 16 0 0 0 Dec 21 @Car L 13-17 16 55 3.4 26 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Dec 14 Cin L 0-30 7 17 2.4 9 0 2 3 10 5.0 6 0 0 0 Dec 7 Ind L 24-25 14 54 3.9 13 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Nov 30 @Buf L 10-26 17 29 1.7 11 0 1 2 15 15.0 15 0 0 0 Nov 23 @Atl W 26-24 12 88 7.3 26 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Nov 16 Hou L 7-23 14 61 4.4 35 0 2 4 30 15.0 19 0 1 1 Nov 6 @Cin W 24-3 12 41 3.4 6 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Oct 26 Oak W 23-13 1 1 1.0 1 0 1 1 8 8.0 8 0 0 0 Oct 19 @Jax L 6-24 7 18 2.6 11 0 1 2 5 5.0 5 0 0 0 Oct 12 Pit W 31-10 11 77 7.0 24 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 1 Oct 5 @Ten W 29-28 6 19 3.2 11 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Sep 21 Bal L 21-23 11 55 5.0 22 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Sep 14 NO W 26-24 11 54 4.9 17 0 1 1 3 3.0 3 0 0 0 Sep 7 @Pit L 27-30 5 32 6.4 16 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Totals 148 607 4.1 35 8 9 14 87 9.7 19 0 3 2

Can't, my binary translator is on the fritz.

PIT allowed the 20th fewest points to RBs last year. They were not a plus match-up, in fact CLE was actually one of the very few teams to actually run on them..

Week 1 vs. PIT

West - 16/100/0

Tate - 6/41/0

Crow - 5/32/2

Week 6 vs. PIT

Tate - 25/78/2

Crow - 11/77/1

People don't realize just how much of a monster this rushing attack was in weeks 1-6 leading up to the Mack injury.

I keep reading people say Crowell is not talented. Go back and watch his games last year before Mack went down and then come back and say the same. I double dawg pound dare you.

The Crow has decent vision, exceptional burst and sweaty forearms. We'll see what happens.

There are definitely question marks surrounding Crow but ability isn't one of them.

• Like 2

Mike Pettine said that he and the coaching staff are confident that second-year running back Isaiah Crowell is ready to carry the load as the lead back.

“We are,” he said. “(Crowell) made some strides from that standpoint just heading into Year Two. He got so few reps. If you think back to it, he was injured for most of the spring a year ago and then got very limited reps during training camp. Just his volume has increased and he has responded to it and handled it well.

“We are confident that he can be a lead back, but also know it is very difficult and there are very few backs that are ‘that guy’ that is going to touch it 20-plus times in a game,” he said. “We feel good about where Crow is.”

Pettine was asked what area that Crowell has improved the most in.

“A lot of the little things,” Pettine said. “He is very much improved in protection. I think that is probably the biggest thing and then also his route running and his ability as a receiver. When you throw the ball to him, sometimes you cringe because he doesn’t look like the most natural hands-catcher, but he doesn’t drop the ball. We are in a ‘get it done’ business. He finds a way to catch it. I think those are probably the two biggest areas that he has made strides in. We feel much more comfortable throwing him the ball this year and much more trusting of him in pass protection.”

To think where I was last year to where I am today... It's nothing short of a blessing. I'm ready for week 1 are you?!? #Browns #DawgPound

Edited by SameSongNDance
  • Like 1

Through week 6 last season (5 games), CLE ranked as follows:

11T in rushing attempts (162)

7 in rushing yards (729)

3 in rushing yards per game (145.8)

11 in yards per carry (4.5)

1 in rushing TDs (8)

They were on pace for 518/2333/26 rushing.

Edited by Just Win Baby
  • Like 1

Through week 6 last season (5 games), CLE ranked as follows:

11T in rushing attempts (162)

7 in rushing yards (729)

3 in rushing yards per game (145.8)

11 in yards per carry (4.5)

1 in rushing TDs (8)

They were on pace for 518/2333/26 rushing.

Insane how much Mack influenced that o-line

• Like 2

Crowell is not a good runningback.

Great analysis.

Especially if you are in the same league as TrippedUp.

EDIT: Also, compare him to some of the RBs going substantially ahead of him in draft. You have players like Hyde and Morris going in the 4/5th who have similar roles in their (projected) poor offenses this year. Assuming he gets the requisite volume, Crow seems like a steal in comparison.

I got him at the 7/8 turn to tide me over until Gurley gets going. If he does that anything else in the season is bonus.

But where he's being drafted means he doesn't need to be an every week starter. After week 1 he gets the Titans, Raiders, and Chargers.

Those stats from before the Mack injury are nice, but that was also Shanahan's offense.

In addition, we don't know that Mack is really fully back.

Crow averaged 2.8 in the preseason while the team averaged 3.1.

There is probably a need to be cautious assuming a whole lott.. I know Bell Cow gets thrown around, and there isn't very many (imho)

Cleveland has a new QB, w/ two new WR's.. Offenses are known/believed to start slow.

Im also not "sold" on the playoff matchups.

Overall though, I do enjoy hearing the "Coach talk"

Mike Pettine said that he and the coaching staff are confident that second-year running back Isaiah Crowell is ready to carry the load as the lead back. :football:

Those stats from before the Mack injury are nice, but that was also Shanahan's offense.

Who else is going to run the ball this week?

Isn't Defilippo sticking with the ZBS anyway? Plus, he stated he wanted to get the RBs more involved in the passing game this year..this coincides with Pettine saying that one aspect of Crow's game that has improved is his pass catching. I don't think Shanahan leaving will effect the potency of this run game to be honest.

• Like 1

Good Question.. Hopefully the Browns don't get up by two scores, and we find out..

Seriously though I believe its Johnson http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/09/duke_johnson_hopes_to_be_a_hul.html

Good Question.. Hopefully the Browns don't get up by two scores, and we find out..

Seriously though I believe its Johnson http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/09/duke_johnson_hopes_to_be_a_hul.html

i'd be shocked if he gets more than 10 touches.

I'm sticking with my worthless bumb assertion. If I'm wrong by week 6, I will gladly come on here and 'eat crow'. LOL.

I'm sticking with my worthless bumb assertion. If I'm wrong by week 6, I will gladly come on here and 'eat crow'. LOL.

Ewww

"If he had gone out there and taken every rep, we'd be a lot more confident about putting him out there for extended snaps, but I can't lie and say that it doesn't factor into it some,'' said coach Mike Pettine. "If he puts a solid couple of days together here, there's no reason to think he's not going to play a significant role in the game."

Looks like he'll be involved but not for 'extended snaps'.

I hear ya,, I just seen this on Twittah.

Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot ·
#Browns OC Flip said "it's a fine line' trying to figure out Duke Johnson's workload coming off hammy and concussion.