What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (3 Viewers)

Right now Crowell is going 37th overall (16th RB off the board) based on MFL ADP:

MyFantasyLeague 2017 ADP

Are you a buyer at this price or are you passing?  What are other people seeing in their drafts so far?
Barring injury, tough to see him not landing in that #12-16 range. 

At #16, I think it's a safe bet as a great RB2 or stretch RB1 if went WR/WR given PPR. 

In a recent auction, I saw him tie for RB10-13 in price. I think he's still good value there. I don't think guys like Gordon or Howard are worth much of a premium over Crowell and I can't believe he's similarly valued (+/- a couple bucks) to guys like Ty Montgomery, Christian McCaffrey, and Lamar Miller.

Isaiah Crowell rushed for 33 yards on 17 carries while adding 33 yards on two receptions in Sunday’s loss to the Steelers.

Crowell also added a rushing two-point conversion. While his 1.9 yards per carry with a long run of just six yards isn’t endearing, the workload is. Crowell matched his 19 touches Sunday just five times a year ago. Hue Jackson has made it clear that he doesn’t want to abandon the run this season like he did a year and he held to his word Week 1. Crowell will find sledding just as touch next week on the road in Baltimore, but remains a volume-based RB2 for fantasy.

Isaiah Crowell managed 37 yards on ten carries and missed his lone target in the Browns' Week 2 loss to the Ravens.

A big game was never expected for Crowell in this spot, but it was still a frustrating effort. Crowell has just 70 yards on 27 carries to begin the season. The good news is Crowell is now in a buy-low position. In Weeks 3-5, the Browns face the Colts, Bengals, and Jets, all of whom pose plus run-defense matchups.

I can't believe I bought into this guy's act again after last year. I know he'll have a couple of 100+ yard 2 td games towards the end of the season after I've lost all faith in him and don't even consider starting him.

I can't believe I bought into this guy's act again after last year. I know he'll have a couple of 100+ yard 2 td games towards the end of the season after I've lost all faith in him and don't even consider starting him.

I should have traded him with the offseason hype. Got a decent offer too. 

This guy is unstartable now, right?

He is for me. Will hold for a wk or two, if he doesn't improve he's gone

This is turning into a support group.

We have to look at his scenario this year:

He played 3 very good defenses to start the season. 
Last week he played a team that is pretty bad overall, but actually quite good at stopping the run. IND actually has a better rushing defense than Baltimore and Pittsburgh. 
Kizer has taken 2 rushing TDs and Duke Johnson 1. If Crowell had all 3 of those he'd be just about equal with CMC for points (RB17). 

I am benching him until he can prove to be the workhorse that we all thought he was before this year. I think he can still pan out. He has some more-favorable match ups coming up.

At this point a "top RB2/low end RB1" is out of the question, but IMO that was his ceiling. He certainly isn't going to finish the season RB40, which is just about where he stands now in PPR. IMO Crowell is a pretty good buy low candidate.

Most of his owners are frustrated to all hell with him and may be willing to unload for a reasonable RB3 with RB2 upside. But Crowell's upside is so much more IMO. The TDs will come. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is turning into a support group.

We have to look at his scenario this year:

He played 3 very good defenses to start the season. 
Last week he played a team that is pretty bad overall, but actually quite good at stopping the run. IND actually has a better rushing defense than Baltimore and Pittsburgh. 
Kizer has taken 2 rushing TDs and Duke Johnson 1. If Crowell had all 3 of those he'd be just about equal with CMC for points (RB17). 

I am benching him until he can prove to be the workhorse that we all thought he was before this year. I think he can still pan out. He has some more-favorable match ups coming up.

At this point a "top RB2/low end RB1" is out of the question, but IMO that was his ceiling. He certainly isn't going to finish the season RB40, which is just about where he stands now in PPR. IMO Crowell is a pretty good buy low candidate.

Most of his owners are frustrated to all hell with him and may be willing to unload for a reasonable RB3 with RB2 upside. But Crowell's upside is so much more IMO. The TDs will come. 
None of that helps me now that I've lost faith in the guy. He's going to go off on my bench. Then I'll put him back in and he'll lay another egg. I hate guys like this. Also, how do we know Kizer taking the rushing TDs isn't the new normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
None of that helps me now that I've lost faith in the guy. He's going to go off on my bench. Then I'll put him back in and he'll lay another egg. I hate guys like this. Also, how do we know Kizer taking the rushing TDs isn't the new normal?
You're right. It could be. But I think it's more him running for his life because he can't find an open guy than a designed rushing play. I am not 100% certain on that. I don't have the time to really dig into the plays that he scored on right now, but it would be easy enough to find in a play by play break down on ESPN or something. In a normal/perfect world he throws an incomplete and Crowell rushes in on the next play. 

Can't be for certain. I've got the depth to afford him to be on my bench for now, and I'm okay with it. I traded for him last year and never once played him. But he was good insurance. 

My hope is that I never need to use him, becuase you're right at this point it's inconsistent even if he does blow up with a big game this week. But if he starts scoring 10+ he may solidify a spot on my flex. He has one game above 10, one game way below, and one pretty close. If he can throw together a 10-12 point game then that 3 point game week 2 will look more like an outlier. 

My hope is that I never need to use him

And that's a lousy place to be with a guy you spent a relatively high draft pick on and can't be completely written off due to injury. Because he sits there on your roster, and one week comes along, after a string of nothing games, where it seems like this time, this match up, he'll finally do something. And you'll knuckle under, and you'll play him. Again. And he'll get you 37 yards and nothing else, again. And you think you'll never play this miscreant again. And then the following week, when you've benched him and plugged Taylor Gabriel into your flex instead, and Crowell is playing the #2 running defense in the league, then, THEN, he'll go off for a buck fifty and 2 scores. And then you'll promise yourself, this is the last straw, I'm done with fantasy football forever.

And then August rolls around...

And that's a lousy place to be with a guy you spent a relatively high draft pick on and can't be completely written off due to injury. Because he sits there on your roster, and one week comes along, after a string of nothing games, where it seems like this time, this match up, he'll finally do something. And you'll knuckle under, and you'll play him. Again. And he'll get you 37 yards and nothing else, again. And you think you'll never play this miscreant again. And then the following week, when you've benched him and plugged Taylor Gabriel into your flex instead, and Crowell is playing the #2 running defense in the league, then, THEN, he'll go off for a buck fifty and 2 scores. And then you'll promise yourself, this is the last straw, I'm done with fantasy football forever.

And then August rolls around...
lol. Isn't that how it always goes... I get what you're saying. My scenario is very different from most others. I was able to keep him for a very low draft pick (9th rounder). So he didn't cost me a whole lot really. I did not over-draft him (although I should have- Hunt was available to me... arg!), so he was slated as my RB2... I was fortuate enough to bid crazy for Cohen and grab him. He's fulfilling with his floor what I had hoped Crowell's ceiling would be (about 14 points per game). I also have Abdullah who is out performing Crowell at this point.

So yes, I get it, those who spent a 3rd or 4th round pick don't want to have to bench or cut such a higher investment. I will say this, I think it's a much more likely scenario for option 1 or 2 to occur rather than option 3:
1. Crowell rebounds and tends to be a 10-15 point game RB2/flex
2. Crowell continues to put up 45 yard games and has TDs robbed away

3. Crowell has on/off games as you suggest above

I really do think it's either he turns it around or he doesn't. Nothing in his past would make me believe that he would be so "Chad Johnson-like" where he would do great, then suck for a week or two, then great, then suck for a week or two. We will see. But yes, so far he looks to be a bust...

I'm not sure I see a whole lot to like in the whole situation aside from his TDs are down and stolen by 2 other players. His YPC is atrocious so far (2.9). That was his saving grace last year even when he had a bad game- he had like a 5.5 YPC. But again... he has always been between 3.8-4.8... I think he can only get better from here 

The danger here, with Coleman out, is that Duke Johnson starts to get both more catches (he was an excellent PPR play last week) and also more rushes. If Crowell falls into a genuine timeshare, his value sinks even further.

He doesn't look good to me. He can't create for himself. He can grind it out between the tackles but so can Blount.  :shrug:

Duke on the other hand essentially put the team on his back vs. IND. They still lost, but he's the opposite of Crow. He creates for himself when there's nothing there. Hell, he even breaks more tackles. 

Ya this sucks.  I loaded up on 3-7th rd. RBs after reaching for Zeke and I thought I would be golden.  But now with Zeke suspension possible and Abdullah, Powell, Henry, and Crowell making up the rest of the fleet I'm looking at complete disaster if someone doesn't step up fast.

They added a few highly regarded OL this year, have a rookie QB, and a whole new crew of WR.  Many if not most of the starting 11 have only played together for these 3 games.  It would make sense that it could be taking them a little longer to get on the same page. It's definitely not a good look right now, but I am not going to hit the panic button for a few more weeks.  In fact, I think he may be a good buy-low opportunity given the above.  

The first three weeks have been rough, but I'm not panicking yet. As Kizer improves and the OL gels, Crowell's situation will get better. He was drafted for his workload and big play ability with the added bonus that he was catching over 3 passes per game over the last half of the season. His carries and targets are down and he's had zero rushes over 10 yards, but Hue still seems committed to him - it's not like he's in a 50/50 RBBC. Duke is still Duke. Not really worried about him. He's had six carries in three games. I'm not going to use that sample to say he's somehow drastically improved his game. Yes, he averaged 4.9 ypc last year, but he faced eight in the box exactly eight times last year. Crowell faced eight in the box on 33% of his carries last year.

The next two games should be pretty telling. At home against Cincy and the Jets. If those games don't go well, I'll be benching him for Martin in most of my leagues as Crowell's schedule gets tougher after that (Houston and Minnesota in 2 of the next 3 games). But if Kizer and the OL start to get a rhythm, the sky is the limit. Well, unless Kizer turns into a GL vulture like Newton, but I really think that is unlikely. He's not as big as Newton so I don't think the coaches will want to put him that kind of wear and tear on him, but also he ran less than Newton did in college. Newton was almost a 1:1 ratio of pass to run while Kizer was closer to 3:1. But time will tell. Definitely something to monitor. He's already sniped two 1 yard TDs and he's thrown for one 1 yard TD. Have to think Crowell will get a few of those opportunities. He did get a rush from the 3 in which he picked up 2 yards. :kicksrock:

Hmmmm, trying to gauge sentiment on this guy.  DJ owner trying to find a decent RB2/3 option behind Gurely and am thinking of trading low for him in a 0.5 ppr.

Seems to be a good roll the dice candidate, especially with all the love the O-line got.  I remember following his hype train a few years back and the dude looked electric on his carries.  has he lost a step or is the O-line not really meshing yet?  Anyone have a video of his carries the past 2-3 games?

Yep. I'm out of the Crowell business as of this morning 

Hmmmm, trying to gauge sentiment on this guy.  DJ owner trying to find a decent RB2/3 option behind Gurely and am thinking of trading low for him in a 0.5 ppr.

Seems to be a good roll the dice candidate, especially with all the love the O-line got.  I remember following his hype train a few years back and the dude looked electric on his carries.  has he lost a step or is the O-line not really meshing yet?  Anyone have a video of his carries the past 2-3 games?
QB play is the biggest problem.

He constantly leaves yards on the field, Duke looks to be twice the player. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Dayes starts seeing some burn. 

I have yet to start him this year due to matchups & thankfully I didn't as the whole team has stunk.. Still wondering why I drafted him.  Oh yea, Clev. offensive line "vastly improved" !!!!!!!!!!!

not!

stlrams said:
This is the last week I'm starting him..   
Same here. He's about to lose his job to Doug Martin if he can't get 20 touches against the Jets. 

SameSongNDance said:
He constantly leaves yards on the field, Duke looks to be twice the player. I wouldn't be surprised if Matt Dayes starts seeing some burn. 
Ehhhh, part of the reason I liked Crowell was because Duke looks like nothing special and 3 weeks (he was nonexistent in week 1) and a mere 10 carries have not changed my mind. He's the Charles Sims of the Browns. He comes in and plays against nickel or dime defenses and catches dump offs in a hurry up offense. Easy to look good when that's going on, but put him in on 1st down against 8 in the box and he becomes a JAG. If Crowell were to get hurt, I think Duke would perform about as well as Sims did when Doug went down in 2014 and then again in 2016... that is to say, in a very disappointing fashion.

Jackson just came out and took full blame for Crowell, said he needs to get him the ball more. Same old same old. Running out of patience. Might cut bait if Zeke is suspended and Morris is the bell cow

Same here. He's about to lose his job to Doug Martin if he can't get 20 touches against the Jets.

Ehhhh, part of the reason I liked Crowell was because Duke looks like nothing special and 3 weeks (he was nonexistent in week 1) and a mere 10 carries have not changed my mind. He's the Charles Sims of the Browns. He comes in and plays against nickel or dime defenses and catches dump offs in a hurry up offense. Easy to look good when that's going on, but put him in on 1st down against 8 in the box and he becomes a JAG. If Crowell were to get hurt, I think Duke would perform about as well as Sims did when Doug went down in 2014 and then again in 2016... that is to say, in a very disappointing fashion.
I'm not saying he's their best running back, I'm saying he's their best offensive player. I have nothing invested in CLE this year but every time I watch their games several things stick out. a) Britt has no business being on the field b) Crowell consistently leaves yards on the field and c) Duke is their entire offense. He routinely puts the team on his back, juking out defenders, breaking tackles and picking up extra yards. He's their best player period. I'm sure CLE homers could attest to this.

He's got 1 more week for me then he becomes a potential WW trade-out.  He's been on my roster at one point or another for the last 3 years, and he's underperformed for most of that time.  I'm about to add him to the "don't have him on my team EVER list" along side Sammy Watkins.

Hogan just named starting QB for this week, which helps Crowell's value IMO, anything is better for him than Kizer at QB.
This has to at least help his goal line work. 

Anyone rolling with him this week? My options are Cohen, Crowell, Collins... thinking of going with Cohen because it can't get much worse and I'm kind of fed up with Crowell. 

He's got 1 more week for me then he becomes a potential WW trade-out.  He's been on my roster at one point or another for the last 3 years, and he's underperformed for most of that time.  I'm about to add him to the "don't have him on my team EVER list" along side Sammy Watkins.
Yeah this is where I'm at too. Maybe not releasing him, but close. 

This has to at least help his goal line work. 

Anyone rolling with him this week? My options are Cohen, Crowell, Collins... thinking of going with Cohen because it can't get much worse and I'm kind of fed up with Crowell. 
I think you stole my roster. 

Add in Kamara (who's my RB1 this week) and I have the same dilemma at RB with The 3C's. As of now, I think I'm rolling with Crowell though  

between those 3:

• Cohen - the emergence of Cunningham taking snaps away from Cohen has me a little down in him. 
  • Collins - was looking up, but after West went down last week, seems like Allen was the go-to guy. 
  • Crowell - hasn't done anything, but is still the lead back and "hopefully" will get more red zone looks now. 

I think you stole my roster. 

Add in Kamara (who's my RB1 this week) and I have the same dilemma at RB with The 3C's. As of now, I think I'm rolling with Crowell though  

between those 3:

• Cohen - the emergence of Cunningham taking snaps away from Cohen has me a little down in him. 
  • Collins - was looking up, but after West went down last week, seems like Allen was the go-to guy. 
  • Crowell - hasn't done anything, but is still the lead back and "hopefully" will get more red zone looks now. 
This screams a big game for Crowell. I may just roll with him. If he fails he may never see my lineup again, maybe even be cut if needed and if one of my lotto tickets hits. The game script will likely be out of hand for Crowell though so I am concerned about that. Houston is awesome. 

This screams a big game for Crowell. I may just roll with him. If he fails he may never see my lineup again, maybe even be cut if needed and if one of my lotto tickets hits. The game script will likely be out of hand for Crowell though so I am concerned about that. Houston is awesome. 
This (aside from his previous ineffectiveness and Duke's role) is my main worry too. 

Users who are viewing this thread