What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James White, NE (1 Viewer)

I would be watching Daryl Richardson down on the Texans PS. Of all the names that have been floated around to replace Dion, this guy makes more sense than any of them. It might be hard to bring a guy in this late in the season but if any team is probably capable of it, its the Patriots.
I read the write up of his perceived skill set, and it did sound intriguing. I don't know enough about him to form an opinion.

Any other observations about what Richardson brings?

And I agree that though tough to bring in new players late, NE does it as well as any.

I would be watching Daryl Richardson down on the Texans PS. Of all the names that have been floated around to replace Dion, this guy makes more sense than any of them. It might be hard to bring a guy in this late in the season but if any team is probably capable of it, its the Patriots.
He's the most intriguing to me; we've seen White in NE, we've seen Bolden in NE. Neither has been overly impressive. Bolden, on occasion has looked decent, but they don't seem to be inclined to give him a real shot. Some NE homers have speculated that he's more of a "good at a lot of things, not great at anything" RB, whose real value is on ST.

That being said, Richardson in NYJ seemed liked he did OK on some bad teams; he wasn't suited (IMO) to be a lead RB, but as a pass-catcher who gets the occasional run, he looks OK. Doubt he would replicate Lewis' success, but might come closer than the other 2 guys.

IF NE were to sign him off Houston's PS, they'd have to make him part of the 53 man roster, right?

Any idea of when this kind of transaction must be (or is usually) completed by?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the write up of his perceived skill set, and it did sound intriguing. I don't know enough about him to form an opinion.

Any other observations about what Richardson brings?

And I agree that though tough to bring in new players late, NE does it as well as any.
Speed and hands. Let me qualify by saying again I don't know how you bring him in this late and make it work but the Patriots HAVE kicked the tires and I can definitely see them looking at him and thinking "this is about as short a falloff as what we lost as anyone".

He's the most intriguing to me; we've seen White in NE, we've seen Bolden in NE. Neither has been overly impressive. Bolden, on occasion has looked decent, but they don't seem to be inclined to give him a real shot. Some NE homers have speculated that he's more of a "good at a lot of things, not great at anything" RB, whose real value is on ST.

That being said, Richardson in NYJ seemed liked he did OK on some bad teams; he wasn't suited (IMO) to be a lead RB, but as a pass-catcher who gets the occasional run, he looks OK. Doubt he would replicate Lewis' success, but might come closer than the other 2 guys.

IF NE were to sign him off Houston's PS, they'd have to make him part of the 53 man roster, right?

Any idea of when this kind of transaction must be (or is usually) completed by?
Yeah, he would take a spot on the 53. From what' I've come to understand, signing a player from the PS of another team means the player actually has to weigh the value of that and not burn any bridges they have with PS eligibility so I'm assuming (conjecture at the most) is Richardson, if offered, would probably have to either get a sense that he has a legit shot to stick AND/OR is drawn by the chance of playing for such a good team And/or is going to get some guaranteed funds that make it worth it.

IF it happens at all, I would think sooner the better because time is against them in acclimating him. THen again, I am thinking in terms of FF and want it happening yesterday but New England could very well make a move and then a month from now we see him actually helping the real team (just in time for FF playoffs...hmmm).

Dion Lewis never sucked in Philly. Can't speak about his Cleveland performance but he was just an odd man out in a loaded backfield.

This is the same Daryl Richardson that sucked in STL?
Just like Dion Lewis sucked in Philly and Cleveland.

Maybe Belichick feels like showing off a little.
Dion Lewis never sucked. He had an extremely productive career at Pitt. In Philly, Dion looked good in limited opportunities behind LeSean McCoy, and at Cleveland, there were high hopes for Lewis before he broke his fibula and was lost for the season. The talent, quickness and vision were always present.

Man I wish James White was good. The reality is that anyone who has watched nearly ever Pats game over the past decade can appreciate that Dion was special in this offense in a way that Vareen, Bolden, White, etc. were not. Could White all of a sudden step up? Yes, but not like Lewis. The guy was a different level of quick and elusive. He was the perfect fit for that role. Huge loss for the Pats. I hope I'm wrong and Bolden or White does better in the role than they have in the past. I just will need to see it to believe it.

Oh and one more thing. The fact that the Pats would even consider looking at Daryl Richardson tells me that they are not sold on White or Bolden as the answer.

Oh and one more thing. The fact that the Pats would even consider looking at Daryl Richardson tells me that they are not sold on White or Bolden as the answer.
While I'm skeptical about White and Bolden they do need a RB with Lewis out. Even if White was Dion Lewis Redux they could still want to sign one for depth.

While I'm skeptical about White and Bolden they do need a RB with Lewis out. Even if White was Dion Lewis Redux they could still want to sign one for depth.
White was inactive for the last game. Sure they could want depth. But they have Bolden and White essentially playing the Lewis position. If anything they need depth for Blount. Maybe Bolden could fill some of what he does? I dunno. The whole situation seems back to 'an avoid' from a fantasy standpoint.

White was inactive for the last game. Sure they could want depth. But they have Bolden and White essentially playing the Lewis position. If anything they need depth for Blount. Maybe Bolden could fill some of what he does? I dunno. The whole situation seems back to 'an avoid' from a fantasy standpoint.
I definitely think it's going to get muddy now so I would tend to agree. But if you're desperate I am coming around to taking a shot with White. I'm not convinced he'll do well but I do think he'll get the first opportunity to be the passing down RB and depending on your league he may be one of the best RB options available right now. Again, he isn't Lewis or close to Lewis so he won't be getting double-digit touches per game. But if he can just do well as a receiver he has a shot to sniff 8-10 points per week in PPR. Not sure if he can do that consistently, though, but this offense obviously looks good so he has a shot at least.

Man I wish James White was good. The reality is that anyone who has watched nearly ever Pats game over the past decade can appreciate that Dion was special in this offense in a way that Vareen, Bolden, White, etc. were not. Could White all of a sudden step up? Yes, but not like Lewis. The guy was a different level of quick and elusive. He was the perfect fit for that role. Huge loss for the Pats. I hope I'm wrong and Bolden or White does better in the role than they have in the past. I just will need to see it to believe it.
:goodposting:

I would love to see White pick up the reigns and take over Dion's role in the offense, but it is like forcing a round peg into a square hole: White simply lacks Dion's special abilities. There are very few players around the league who could fill that role successfully (McCoy, Gio, Ellington, Woodhead, Sproles, perhaps Duke Johnson, come to mind), but there are no street free agents with that ability the Pats could sign (the closest in terms of running ability may be Seatrunk :bag: , but we have seen how he did not work out in the NFL). Edited to add: Ray Rice and Felix Jones have shown some ability in the past, but I am guessing both are merely shells of their former selves.

I would expect the offense to change to fit the personnel, rather than trying to force White into a Dion role.

Last edited by a moderator:
socrates said:
Gandalf said:

I would love to see White pick up the reigns and take over Dion's role in the offense, but it is like forcing a round peg into a square hole: White simply lacks Dion's special abilities. There are very few players around the league who could fill that role successfully (McCoy, Gio, Ellington, Woodhead, Sproles, perhaps Duke Johnson, come to mind), but there are no street free agents with that ability the Pats could sign (the closest in terms of running ability may be Seatrunk :bag: , but we have seen how he did not work out in the NFL). Edited to add: Ray Rice and Felix Jones have shown some ability in the past, but I am guessing both are merely shells of their former selves.

I would expect the offense to change to fit the personnel, rather than trying to force White into a Dion role.
If they try to keep things the same White could do ok here. Not as good as Dion, obviously, but ok. If they change to fit the personnel, what would that look like? I think there's a reasonable chance any such adjustment could involve Amendola - more short/quick passes in slants, WR screens, a few crossing routes, maybe an extra redzone target each week?

I missed White but might grab Amendola to see how this plays out. It's a long shot and I don't expect much, but stranger things have happened. If nothing else Amendola seems like a slightly better boom/bust play than he did before Lewis got hurt.

socrates said:
Gandalf said:

If they try to keep things the same White could do ok here. Not as good as Dion, obviously, but ok. If they change to fit the personnel, what would that look like? I think there's a reasonable chance any such adjustment could involve Amendola - more short/quick passes in slants, WR screens, a few crossing routes, maybe an extra redzone target each week?

I missed White but might grab Amendola to see how this plays out. It's a long shot and I don't expect much, but stranger things have happened. If nothing else Amendola seems like a slightly better boom/bust play than he did before Lewis got hurt.
An expanded role for Amendola is certainly possible, but the reality is the Patriots are not without offensive options. Blount will be relied upon heavily in the running game, and Gronk, Edelman and LaFell will have prominent roles. White should factor in, as should Amendola.

Grabbing any piece of this offensive juggernaut at this point can only be a positive, but we will have to see how Belichick and the Patriots adjust to life without Dion. I suspect the Patriots offense will look similar to what it was last season.

Lots of folks counting out White before he really gets a chance. If he gets the start it will be very interesting to see what he can do with a start and a number of touches over a full game. Don't be stunned if he shines.

I've watched Richardson be mediocre in enough places to know he's not the answer. We just don't know enough about White.

Starting him at flex over DGB, but only out of desperation (and if DGB wasn't facing the Panthers it would be a much more difficult call).

I basically have zero expectations at this point. If he gets three snaps while a reincarnated Jonas Gray dominates touches, I'll shrug my shoulders and say, "Eh, what are you gonna do?"

Starting him at flex over DGB, but only out of desperation (and if DGB wasn't facing the Panthers it would be a much more difficult call).

I basically have zero expectations at this point. If he gets three snaps while a reincarnated Jonas Gray dominates touches, I'll shrug my shoulders and say, "Eh, what are you gonna do?"
:confused:

Did something happen after the Dolphins resigned him to the PS last night?

Lots of folks counting out White before he really gets a chance. If he gets the start it will be very interesting to see what he can do with a start and a number of touches over a full game. Don't be stunned if he shines.

I've watched Richardson be mediocre in enough places to know he's not the answer. We just don't know enough about White.
Wait, is there talk that White is going to start? A quick google search comes up empty

Wait, is there talk that White is going to start? A quick google search comes up empty
He's not starting. That's crazy talk. Blount is now the starter and will get most of the work. White will be sprinkled in to fill the Shane vereen role. But he will produce way less than Lewis did. Lewis paid the fantasy bills with an insane YAC and making would be tacklers miss every time he touched the ball. White won't be able to do that.

He's good for maybe 30-50 yards of production per game with a td sprinkled in here and there.

A desperation flex play if you ask me. That said, I did pick him up, and have him on my bench because 1) I lost foster and Lewis and my RBS after Ingram are now atrocious, 2) I could be wrong and he could shines if that's the case I wanted to block the other fools in my league from having him.

I also expect to see bolden too.

Not that I've seen, Daniels said he's being prepped to fulfill the Dion role.

Sweet Feet has always been underrated. 3-star recruit coming out of h.s., 70th ranked RB. Always in a time share at Wisconsin (Montee Ball, Melvin Gordon.) Short arms, small hands - but only fumbled twice in four years at Wisconsin where he had 3 1,000 yard seasons.

Not a good TC last year. Better this year but hasn't done much with his opportunities in the past. Will be interesting to see if he really does take the Lewis duties or just one of several who see an uptick (Bolden, Amendola.)

:confused:

Did something happen after the Dolphins resigned him to the PS last night?
You can never rule anything out with Belichick.

Bolden has been in this position a few times in the past and Coach seems to like him just the way he is. Keep doing your job! Special teams, back up RB to change pace for a drive or two and an in-game back up to an injured starter. I expect White to get a shot at sharing with Blount in backfield. I wouldn't expect Lewis or Woodhead but they will pass to and run with White in there. They need that from any RB that plays this role and they will probably get it from any RB that plays this roll. Obviously he was beat out by Lewiis in the summer so temper expectations. But if he can be involved with solid contribution that keeps the D respecting him its enough.

He's worth holding on your bench but not starting him until we see his involvement and what he does with the touches he's given.

Not dropping him yet. It seems like the people saying that Amendola would inherit the lion's share of Lewis' touches were right this week. Question is what happens now that Edelman is out.

Not dropping him yet. It seems like the people saying that Amendola would inherit the lion's share of Lewis' touches were right this week. Question is what happens now that Edelman is out.
I dunno man...I watched that game very closely...white was an afterthought...before Edelman went down AND after.

2 things I noticed:

1) he's not nearly the shifty route runner that Lewis is. He doesn't get himself open as quickly. Lewis got himself open on almost every route he ran. The guy was amazing.

2) even when he was open, Brady wasn't looking for him. It was almost as if Brady went into every snap that white was in on knowing that there wasn't a chance he was going to look for white. It was a different story when Lewis was in the game. Brady made Lewis one of his primary reads when he was on the field.

I have very little confidence that white will be any kind of serviceable fantasy option this season.

He's a jag.

I dunno man...I watched that game very closely...white was an afterthought...before Edelman went down AND after.

2 things I noticed:

1) he's not nearly the shifty route runner that Lewis is. He doesn't get himself open as quickly. Lewis got himself open on almost every route he ran. The guy was amazing.

2) even when he was open, Brady wasn't looking for him. It was almost as if Brady went into every snap that white was in on knowing that there wasn't a chance he was going to look for white. It was a different story when Lewis was in the game. Brady made Lewis one of his primary reads when he was on the field.

I have very little confidence that white will be any kind of serviceable fantasy option this season.

He's a jag.
I noticed that, too. Game plan might change going forward but there were no positives that came out of that game. They've had 1.5+ seasons to evaluate him, I think they know what they do and do not have with James White.

Homer breakdown on what happened to White on Sunday:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2015/11/17/9748822/film-review-where-was-james-white

First Down - 2 Second Down - 2 Third Down - 12 White was primarily used as the third-down back and was on the field for every Patriots' third down. Both of White's touches came on a third down, one being a draw play on 3rd and 17 in the second quarter and the other a first down catch in the fourth quarter. White's lack of production didn't hurt the team in particular since the offense was still able to go 7-14 on third down with one of them being the spike to set up Stephen Gostkowski's game-winning field goal.

Looking at the tape it becomes fairly clear why James White only touched the ball twice. On many occasions he was asked to help out the offensive line by staying back for blocking duties. White's roles on the field were:

Lined up as WR - 1 Run - 1 Out of backfield - 6 Chip-and-go - 3 Blitz pickup - 5

oddsbodkins said:
May hold for another week. When he gets the ball, he looks sort of dangerous.
Yeah, Sunday night I put a couple claims in, dropping White. Reconsidered - I can't address any ancillary needs, and the upside guys I might have taken a flyer on won't crack the lineup. Take a wait and see approach for another week.

They've had 18 months to evaluate him & don't seem in a hurry to get him involved, so maybe there's nothing there. But I'd at least like to see some utilization before deciding.

He looks like he has a better shot at a TD week to week than Gronk does right now. Go figure.

He looks like he has a better shot at a TD week to week than Gronk does right now. Go figure.
we will see how the Amedola injury plays out, but I could see a lot of teams saying they will double team Gronk every single play, and if they lose because of White dominating them then so be it.

I'm not sure what to do with this guy. Could be a sneaky play. If I can get one of Rawls or Allen for him tonight, great. Otherwise, I'll hang on and hope for the best.

I thought White looked better last night than at any point in his NFL career so far.
They tend to look better standing in the end zone don't they? He did break a tackle to get there so I credit him for doing his job to get there. 4 touches for 46 yards could earn more playing time as well.

I see a lot of dump off love for white in Denver without amendola/edelmen.....Not a blount game at all.....

I see a lot of dump off love for white in Denver without amendola/edelmen.....Not a blount game at all.....
Agree. Brady's short-passing game is great but short on receivers. I may try to acquire White in one final redraft trade before the deadline.

I ended up not dropping white after week 10. I wanted to see one more week. In week 11 I was forced to start him due to major bye week issues and he came through.

Now, after he essentially won that game for the pats and Brady has no other receivers besides him, gronk, and lafell, I'm actually thinking of plugging him into my flex this week vs Denver over duke Johnson, stefon Diggs, Cecil shorts, and Ben Watson.

I think he'll have an expanded role. Blount is going to have trouble finding running room. This is a game that Lewis would have been featured in...I'm thinking white may just be that guy tomorrow night.

Users who are viewing this thread