What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB James White, NE (1 Viewer)

If Burk gets hurt WHILE Edelman is out, White would get more than just an uptick, wouldn't you say, David?
I don't think so. That's why they are going to keep both Hill and Gillislee (and probably have Webb on the practice squad). 

Unless you consider White going from 3 carries to 5 carries significant. White gets the huge majority of his fantasy value from receiving. White should see a lot of work in the passing game with Edelman out. If Burkhead were also to be absent, maybe White would see a couple extra targets a game. You tell me how much that moves the needle on White.

White has had only one regular season game with 100 yfs scrimmage and has scored 2 TDs in a game just twice. He's had more than 5 receptions 7 times (out of 48 regular season games). Everyone remembers his spectacular SB performance, but they have never used him like that before or after that game.

I guess I am curious what people expect out of White, as he should be decent an probably a nice flex play, but I wouldn't expect RB1 or RB2 numbers.

Unless you consider White going from 3 carries to 5 carries significant. White gets the huge majority of his fantasy value from receiving. White should see a lot of work in the passing game with Edelman out. If Burkhead were also to be absent, maybe White would see a couple extra targets a game. You tell me how much that moves the needle on White.
By a fair margin in full PPR. It would be the first time he hasn't played with either Vereen, Lewis, Burkhead, Edelman or Amendola - all of whom's game intersects with his own. The team would be almost completely devoid of players who serve his role or something similar.

For the record he's my RB35, so I don't expect RB2 numbers for the totality of the season. I just expect them in September. 

Last edited by a moderator:
3 WR's rostered, Gilislee likely cut, the first 4 games will seem like we're watching the second half of the ATL SB all over again.

Check down to White for 5 yards.

White, Short pass middle 12 yards.

White, screen right 8 yards.

etc.

etc. 

etc.

Devonta Freeman like numbers

Sounds like Burkhead will be a gametime decision.  If that decision is no and Michel is still out I might start White this week.

Did fine for me last week with the TD but that just wasn’t enough touches to make him feel reliable barring there being basically no one else in the backfield to handle the football.  Which may indeed be the case...

Did fine for me last week with the TD but that just wasn’t enough touches to make him feel reliable barring there being basically no one else in the backfield to handle the football.  Which may indeed be the case...
:confused: He had 9 targets.

:confused: He had 9 targets.
Rgr.  I don’t think he’s a bad flex play for the next three weeks either way.

Question is just whether or not you’ve got better ones. Without Burkhead in the lineup he’d cross that threshold for me this week where I’m not sure I do.

If you’ve got another active Pats receiver like I do (Gronk) that doesn’t help him out either, so not throwing shade on White at least for the next four weeks, there’s just a lot of competition is all.

Changed my mind, starting him at flex today.

I think the Jaguars win this game and James had solid games in all three losses last year.  Big snap count %.

Michel is supposedly playing but you can’t imagine him taking over in one game.  I think he eats into Burkhead’s day more than James, and probably not that much.

Guy is RB 16 on the year for my 1/2 point PPR league can’t get any traction on trading him.

Hes a lock when NE loses so maybe I luck out and this is the year the Patriots fall apart and I’ve got White on my roster for the whole thing since nobody else wants him 

James White caught 8-of-10 targets for 68 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 4 win over the Dolphins, adding eight carries for 44 yards and an additional score.

The carries, rushing yards and receptions were all new season highs. With Rex Burkhead (neck) on injured reserve, White's fantasy production will be more bankable. He is a legitimate FLEX option in every format of fantasy.

Sep 30 - 6:34 PM

Faust said:
James White caught 8-of-10 targets for 68 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 4 win over the Dolphins, adding eight carries for 44 yards and an additional score.

The carries, rushing yards and receptions were all new season highs. With Rex Burkhead (neck) on injured reserve, White's fantasy production will be more bankable. He is a legitimate FLEX option in every format of fantasy.

Sep 30 - 6:34 PM
Dude is RB6 overall and has scored at least 14 points every week in PPR and their bold call is that he is startable as a flex?

This has all the makings of Chris Thompson a year ago, minus the brittle body.  Dude is a high RB2 going forward if not a low RB1.

And this wasn't even a game with a good game script for him.

Had a 50-yard screen play called back on a questionable hold as well today. The stars may be aligned here.

Dude is RB6 overall and has scored at least 14 points every week in PPR and their bold call is that he is startable as a flex?

This has all the makings of Chris Thompson a year ago, minus the brittle body.  Dude is a high RB2 going forward if not a low RB1.

Do you think anything changes with Edelman returning next week?  I wonder if his receptions go down a tad.

That’s what I noticed, blowout Patriots win is the exact opposite of a James White gamescript.  Last year he puts up 2.3 points in a game like this.

If you need to win now I think he’s a solid PPR RB2 for the foreseeable future. If you are planning your playoff run for a strong team I think there’s a very good chance his fantasy value fades by late season.

Edelman back next week, Burkhead could very well return mid season, but the real fantasy threat here is Sony Michel.  Watching games I just really get the vibe Belichek wants Michel to be a three down workhorse back and just can’t get away with it quite yet.  

Tom Brady actually complained to the media (very un-Patriot like) that White needed more usage after last weeks loss and whaddaya know?  This week you saw them go to almost a White/Michel timeshare.

As Michel logs more practice snaps and gets more seasoned I think Belichek gradually gets his way and by seasons end White is back to the sort of usage we saw last year.

This isn’t to be down on the guy, I could very well be wrong and if I was 1-3 right now I’d be holding.  But I want to win the trophy this year and he might not be there for me 12 weeks from now if I’m right and Belichek wants to ride Michel 90% of the time once he can.

James White caught 10-of-14 targets for 77 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 5 win over the Colts, gaining zero yards on two carries.

Now that's how you PPR. Even with Julian Edelman back in the lineup, White drew five more targets than any other Patriot. He's now 18-of-24 for 145 yards and two scores as a receiver since Tom Brady talked him up before Week 4. The Pats dressed only two running backs this evening. White will be an RB2 for Week 6's likely shootout with the Chiefs.

Oct 5 - 12:10 AM

23.7 points tonight in PPR. 

He just keeps getting overlooked in fantasy. Again,

and again,

and again.
As a Pats fan, I'm stunned. He's still subpar as a runner, but Brady's trust in him is clear. He will be on the field and he will be catching passes. Down 21, up 21. Doesn't seem to matter. Can't believe what a PPR gem he is. And to think my Jets buddy grabbed him in our dynasty startup ....

This guy is a low end RB1 in PPR rest of season.  Even in standard you have to start him as an RB2 every week.  I don't think he'll keep THESE numbers up, but his floor and ceiling are both very high.  Love how predictable this backfield is for the first time in memory, and anyone who owns either of those guys can just plug, play, and forget about it.

10 receptions last night? ... that's more than Hogan will have all season.

As a Pats fan, seems that only good things happen when White touches the ball.

... fantasy wise, I own him in almost all of my PPR leagues ... and he out performs Yahoos "projected points" every week.

After this season the secret will be out. Next year he's likely taken by the 3rd round vs the 8th round that I "reached" for him this year.

(Hogan was drafted in the 5th rd in that same league. Not by me)

As a Pats fan, I'm stunned. He's still subpar as a runner, but Brady's trust in him is clear. He will be on the field and he will be catching passes. Down 21, up 21. Doesn't seem to matter. Can't believe what a PPR gem he is. And to think my Jets buddy grabbed him in our dynasty startup ....
I dunno, I am no expert but he did juke a guy out on a long run in the first half.  He might not be good or elite but he does have some talent for making guys miss in the open.

He’s become Brady’s personal satellite back and as long as it’s working and Brady refuses to allow the coaching staff to work Michel into that role like they want to he’s not going anywhere and is a PPR must start.

That’s what Brady was doing when he went straight to the media after the Detroit loss and said I need James White.  He was using the media to go over his coaching staffs head and get White in there as a safety outlet.  

Im riding it out but trying not to let my roster become dependent on him.  I can’t get anybody to trade me for him for real value so I’m rostering some late season RB fliers on the decent chance this random fantasy gift ends this season 

I dunno, I am no expert but he did juke a guy out on a long run in the first half.  He might not be good or elite but he does have some talent for making guys miss in the open.
Yeah, crazy how people want to po-poo him as a runner.

If there's a hole, he hits it. Really doesn't need to be a Leonard Fornette, blowing people up, for me to want to own him.

To me, any yards gained on the ground are a bonus anyway. (but yeah, he's probably not worth starting in a non-PPR)

Love this guy as a pats fan and a PPR player.

Every year I expect folks to wake up and to not get him since my leagues tend to be pats heavy... but somehow folks reach for brady, Edelman, and Gronk... but always leave white for me.

For that, I’m grateful. 

Love this guy as a pats fan and a PPR player.

Every year I expect folks to wake up and to not get him since my leagues tend to be pats heavy... but somehow folks reach for brady, Edelman, and Gronk... but always leave white for me.

For that, I’m grateful. 
and be grateful you're not in a league with me.

My local league (12 Pats fans), PPR, had Pats going;

Gronk (keeper = 2nd round)

Chris Hogan 5th 

Sony Michel 5th

Tom Brady 6th

Rex Burkhead 6th

Julian Edleman 7th

James White 8th (my pick)

Jeremy Hill 13th

I'll agree, NE RB's are a crap-shoot, at least it was before the injuries this season ... but JW is the clear pass catching RB (especially now that Deon Lewis is gone).

He's good in the open field, but at the line he has subpar vision. There is a reason the coaching staff does not hand off to him often.

He also used to fall down if you breath on him, but he's really improved his strength and is actually breaking tackles now. 

This is coming from someone who has seen every snap of his pro career. He's obviously fantastic with his routes and has great hands. 

But for FF this is the perfect storm with all the injuries and a rookie who is being brought along. There literally are only two backs active. 

In dynasty, if I'm competing sit back and enjoy the ride. If I'm not competing, I move White for peak value to a contender. 

Ya worst case scenario later this season things change and he’s a flex.  The current situation where he’s a high floor ppr RB2 with RB1 upside is a happy coincidence though IMO.

Past year his floor was well below 10 points in my league.  It’s like 15 right now

James White caught 10-of-14 targets for 77 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Week 5 win over the Colts, gaining zero yards on two carries.

Now that's how you PPR. Even with Julian Edelman back in the lineup, White drew five more targets than any other Patriot. He's now 18-of-24 for 145 yards and two scores as a receiver since Tom Brady talked him up before Week 4. The Pats dressed only two running backs this evening. White will be an RB2 for Week 6's likely shootout with the Chiefs.

Oct 5 - 12:10 AM
It's amazing how unwilling pundits are to commit to this guy, even for a single week.  Last week they called him a flex.  Now they've bumped it to a RB2 this week against the Chiefs.

Dude is currently RB6 in PPG as the passing back going into likely the Pats' biggest shootout of the year.  He is a strong RB1 this week.

I owned him last year in a PPR league and he was mediocre at best.  Of course he's a stud every other year that I don't own him.  

Including this year and the post season last year (10 combined games), White has scored 11 total TD, easily the highest total on NE. A couple of players are tied behind him with 4 TD. He's had 701 yards from scrimmage and 54 catches in that time.

The TD total surprised me. Not so much on the other players not scoring much (Cooks traded, Edelman was hurt and suspended, Michel wasn't on the team, Burkhead has been out, etc.).

Projected over a fill season, that would add up to 282 fantasy points in PPR leagues . . . which last year would have ranked as the RB7 and only 6 points behind the RB5.

With Michel out, White will probably see even more work (at least until NE brings in someone else to run the football).

James White is the single most underrated player in fantasy football, especially Dynasty leagues.

This guy is basically a stud at this point, without much value to show for it.

I stupidly tried to trade him for a late 4th years ago... the rest of the league was basically saying he wasn't worth a roster spot.  I'm really glad it got declined because this guy is looking like a league winner this year.  He's probably going to retain a lot of value going forward (once we collectively finally stop underrating him) with what he's showing in this opportunity.

Should have been super bowl MVP two years ago too, totally robbed of that..

Strictly speaking from a fantasy perspective this is the luckiest season you could imagine for White.  

Remember preseason when the Patriots backfield was the typical crowded mess with no clear consistent fantasy producer?  It was like that because that’s how Belichek does RBs.  He hasn’t changed.  The other three guys just got injured.

Then when Michel came back Belichek tried giving him some of the bread and butter James White passing plays and Brady went straight to the media and said he needed more James White.  That’s a weird thing for a Patriot to do but Brady doesn’t like getting tackled and he knows the satellite back chemistry he has with White gives him an easy outlet and helps keep him safe.

At this point Whites at least a strong RB2 ROS even once Michel and Burkhead come back, but this season was a happy conicendence and isn’t gonna happen again.

Again this is just from a fantasy perspective.  I’m not taking anything away from the guy.  He’s a smart pass catching back and team captain who does whatever his team asks him to do to win who randomly fell into a beautiful fantasy accident this year.

And ya he should have been super bowl MVP, Brady gets mad when he doesn’t win awards though (actual fact) so maybe they felt some pressure to throw it his way

Yeah I had White last year and he was a fairly mediocre fantasy player (even in a PPR league).  It was actually quite surprising to me because I really thought he was going to be a stud.  I guess I was one year too early.  

James White rushed 12 times for 31 yards and two touchdowns and caught 6-of-7 targets for 72 yards in Week 9 against the Packers.

White scored on a eight-yard toss on the opening drive of the game. He missed seven plays with a leg injury, but returned after halftime. White got most of his receiving yards on a gadget screen pass from Julian Edelman. He was stuffed on multiple goal-line chances, but finally converted from the one-yard line in the fourth quarter. White's usage has been up with Sony Michel sidelined, but his value is going to take a hit if Michel returns next week.

Nov 4 - 11:46 PM

Users who are viewing this thread