What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So I drafted Peyton, Brees and Luck in my draft.... (1 Viewer)

IC FBGCav

Footballguy
Didn't end up too bad. This is 120.00 league.

Sometimes I just get pissed off and won't let studs drop, not the best move but they are trade bait at least.

Brees, Drew NOS QB Luck, Andrew IND QB Manning, Peyton DEN QB Blount, LeGarrette PIT RB Bradshaw, Ahmad IND RB (P) Bush, Reggie DET RB Davis, Knile KCC RB (P) Jennings, Rashad NYG RB McCoy, LeSean PHI RB Amendola, Danny NEP WR Cooper, Riley PHI WR Nicks, Hakeem IND WR Gates, Antonio SDC TE Witten, Jason DAL TE Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK Patriots, New England NEP Def

Why would you ever do this. Nobody is trading you close to what you could have gotten at other positions when you took those QB's.

They're all great QB's but guys will find QB help elsewhere on principle or wait until you cave and trade them cheap to fill your lineup.

Ouch.

Why would you ever do this. Nobody is trading you close to what you could have gotten at other positions when you took those QB's.

They're all great QB's but guys will find QB help elsewhere on principle or wait until you cave and trade them cheap to fill your lineup.

Ouch.
I drafted Peyton/Brees in a FBGs mock just because they fell soooooo far (Brees in the 5th). Guys like Toby Gerhart were going ahead of Brees. I feel pretty confident that someone would be able to flip Drew Brees for Toby Gerhart around week 4- and that's assuming Gerhart doesn't just bust outright, something he's at dramatically greater risk for than Brees is.

Any time I can get one of the Peyton/Brees/Rodgers trio in the 5th round, I'm going to be strongly considering it, even if I already have one of that trio. Of course, if I do get two of the top three QBs, I'm certainly not grabbing Andrew Luck later on.

Ouch.
I drafted 4 in the first 8 rounds last year and never traded one. Pissed everyone off. Did the same thing this year in FFPC. After the 10th round two teams had no qb's and they were drafting at the 1 and 12 slots. The league ganged up and took all the of the good QB's one guy's starter is Eli and the other is Palmer. They just pissed their seasons away.

Plus I got over 40 leagues already, sometimes you get bored/drunk. :shrug:

Whats the difference if someone wait on a QB and has Eil or Palmer as their starter and quality at all other positions vs you with 3 top QBs, McCoy and not much else?

Ouch.
I drafted Peyton/Brees in a FBGs mock just because they fell soooooo far (Brees in the 5th). Guys like Toby Gerhart were going ahead of Brees. I feel pretty confident that someone would be able to flip Drew Brees for Toby Gerhart around week 4- and that's assuming Gerhart doesn't just bust outright, something he's at dramatically greater risk for than Brees is.

Any time I can get one of the Peyton/Brees/Rodgers trio in the 5th round, I'm going to be strongly considering it, even if I already have one of that trio. Of course, if I do get two of the top three QBs, I'm certainly not grabbing Andrew Luck later on.
Yeah, I can't really say anything bad about that. My original comment, I guess, was assuming he had to have taken Peyton and Brees long before the 5th and Luck not too far after.

It's always better to have a great player on your bench than someone else's starting lineup, but this example is rather extreme. If you can snag a backup you'll almost never start and still fill out a great starting lineup, then do it. Never assume that others in the league will be eager to trade with you after you snagged said players when you didn't need them.

Whats the difference if someone wait on a QB and has Eil or Palmer as their starter and quality at all other positions vs you with 3 top QBs, McCoy and not much else?
Eli Manning (NYG) R
Carlos Hyde (SF) R
Bishop Sankey (TEN) R
Jerick McKinnon (MIN) R
Devonta Freeman (ATL) R
Marshawn Lynch (SEA) R
Arian Foster (HOU) R
DeAndre Hopkins (HOU) R
Kelvin Benjamin (CAR) R
Mike Evans (TB) R
Josh Gordon (CLE) R
T.Y. Hilton (IND) R
Larry Fitzgerald (ARI) R
Victor Cruz (NYG) R
Ladarius Green (SD) R
Richard Rodgers (GB) R
Zach Ertz (PHI) R
Austin Seferian-Jenkins (TB) R
Alex Henery (PHI) R
STL Team Defense (STL) R
This is a prerry bad team. Has promise in 2017.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that saves your season is a guy loaded with WR's has a QB get knocked out for the season. Otherwise, you will have two studs on the bench every week.

This is a prerry bad team.
If Cruz and Eli return to form, that team smokes yours...
Okay, they might. Now what?
I edited to state, that team probably smokes yours right now. Solid at every position rather than loaded with three and only can play one.

The only thing that saves your season is a guy loaded with WR's has a QB get knocked out for the season. Otherwise, you will have two studs on the bench every week.
Better on my bench than playing against them.
You could only play against them a handful times of the year. But every single week, you'll be trotting out guys that would be on other guys benches.
And they will be trotting out QB's that would be on peoples benches. Are you trying to get me in some circular logic thing?

This is a prerry bad team.
If Cruz and Eli return to form, that team smokes yours...
Okay, they might. Now what?
I edited to state, that team probably smokes yours right now. Solid at every position rather than loaded with three and only can play one.
Yeah he has 20 players and I only have 16. That is not a team in the Peyton, Brees & Luck league. That team is below the Eli team.

This actually isnt a bad strategy. You know with a pretty accurate degree of certainty that Peyton and Brees will finish top 5 overall barring injury. Even Luck has a good shot at top 10 overall. What you dont know is which RBs will emerge. Every year is littered with first round busts that were supposed to carry your team. So now he can taken a fairly certain top commodity and trade it a few weeks in for the RBs and WRs that are trendong towards top 10 as opposed to guessing who will make it.

It would all depend on how deep the benches are so that trading is more necessary but you could field a decent team this way.

You could only play against them a handful times of the year. But every single week, you'll be trotting out guys that would be on other guys benches.
And they will be trotting out QB's that would be on peoples benches.
Not necessarily. Quarterbacks are very deep right now, so it's likely that in most 12-team leagues, there will be teams that have backups many weeks that could have been starting and getting good points.

Sometimes I just get pissed off and won't let studs drop, not the best move but they are trade bait at least.

Brees, Drew NOS QB Luck, Andrew IND QB Manning, Peyton DEN QB Blount, LeGarrette PIT RB Bradshaw, Ahmad IND RB (P) Bush, Reggie DET RB Davis, Knile KCC RB (P) Jennings, Rashad NYG RB McCoy, LeSean PHI RB Amendola, Danny NEP WR Cooper, Riley PHI WR Nicks, Hakeem IND WR Gates, Antonio SDC TE Witten, Jason DAL TE Gostkowski, Stephen NEP PK Patriots, New England NEP Def
How many RBs do you start?

And they will be trotting out QB's that would be on peoples benches. Are you trying to get me in some circular logic thing?
Two guys will be trotting out guys that are in the 14-16 range at QB. But you are going to be trotting out WR's in the 90-120 range. Big drop off. Their lack of a few points difference is going to be overcome by the fact that they have receivers and a second RB rather than a mishmash of misfits.

At Manning's age, I full agree in getting someone solid to back him up. I have him in a league and have RGIII as a backup. An expensive backup as this is a contract league and his salary is based on that monster rookie campaign. But you need to move one of those guys for a WR. You blocking a couple teams for a couple of weeks when they play you does not compensate for you blocking yourself every week.

And they will be trotting out QB's that would be on peoples benches.
Not necessarily. Quarterbacks are very deep right now, so it's likely that in most 12-team leagues, there will be teams that have backups many weeks that could have been starting and getting good points.
This is just wrong.

How many RBs do you start?
1Qb 1WR RB TE K D two flex

Two guys will be trotting out guys that are in the 14-16 range at QB. But you are going to be trotting out WR's in the 90-120 range. Big drop off. Their lack of a few points difference is going to be overcome by the fact that they have receivers and a second RB rather than a mishmash of misfits.

At Manning's age, I full agree in getting someone solid to back him up. I have him in a league and have RGIII as a backup. An expensive backup as this is a contract league and his salary is based on that monster rookie campaign. But you need to move one of those guys for a WR. You blocking a couple teams for a couple of weeks when they play you does not compensate for you blocking yourself every week.
No I won't only have to play one and they are all top 40

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
TheFanatic said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
TheFanatic said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
TheFanatic said:

most leagues aren't set like that.

Adam Harstad said:
ConnSKINS26 said:

Ouch.

Yeah, but that was a mock. And true - the value was way too good to pass up.

Good Luck to you. I did that last year but not to that extent. Got Breese later than he should have gone and luck too. Never could get fair value back for Luck. Still finished near the top.

Imo, drafting like this does not help your team and does not hurt the other teams as much as you think it does. Better to put together your best roster when you draft

Imo, drafting like this does not help your team and does not hurt the other teams as much as you think it does. Better to put together your best roster when you draft
I agree, this is not the way to draft but I hate seeing those guys not being taken until the 3rd round.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
TheFanatic said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
TheFanatic said:
FatUncleJerryBuss said:
TheFanatic said:

You are going to start McCoy and Bush at RB (until Bush gets hurt) and who at WR that is top 40? Cooper finished 31st last year in a PPR with very inflated TD numbers from two games and that was with Jackson taking some of the heat. I'm not sure that guy can be a WR2. Nicks can't seem to catch more than about 55 balls a year and is non existent in the red zone. Amendola is made of glass.

But you will have two guys on your bench that will not be hurting other teams as much as they will be hurting you as their points aren't being added to the points you need to win.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
If anyone can tell me why Michael Floyd is going in the 2nd/3rd round I would love know.
Floyd is taken in the 2nd/3rd round by guys not drafting all stud QB's to the detriment to their teams.

Not seeing the potential for a huge break out from a guy who plays opposite the guy who's camp nearly every elite WR in the league has attended and gets to be mentored by for months upon months of the year is about as shortsighted as drafting Manning, Brees and Luck and think that hurts other teams more than yours..

It will be hilarious if you start the wrong QB and they lay an egg in a few weeks.
While I think this draft strategy is silly, I'm not sure how one of them could lay an egg without injury...
Even with Manning's video game stats last year he has 3 weeks of around 15 points. Brees has 3 weeks around 12, including one under 9.
I get that. It just seems hard to fathom making the wrong call.

I don't think you go into a draft with such a plan, but how the draft unfolds dictates. Sometimes you have to go for the position which drops way more than it should. Last year I picked Rodgers, Brady, and Luck in a draft because every other position got eaten up like crazy.

You'll have the goal of trading one of the quarterbacks, although you have to prepare as if you won't. I have found it difficult to trade them in such leagues, because clearly your leagemates don't value the position. And you can't just give away your quarterback, otherwise you may as well have taken running backs or receivers. Your very cynical best case scenario involves one of the top signal callers going down, so you can charge a convenience store price to the owner.

FatUncleJerryBuss said:
If anyone can tell me why Michael Floyd is going in the 2nd/3rd round I would love know.
Floyd is taken in the 2nd/3rd round by guys not drafting all stud QB's to the detriment to their teams.

Not seeing the potential for a huge break out from a guy who plays opposite the guy who's camp nearly every elite WR in the league has attended and gets to be mentored by for months upon months of the year is about as shortsighted as drafting Manning, Brees and Luck and think that hurts other teams more than yours..
In the 2nd/3rd is still a bit early on Floyd. That guy whose camp everyone attended is still playing opposite him, and that QB well he's no Brees, Manning, Rodgers either. Paying 2nd round prices for him is buying him at his absolute maximum upside.

I agree, this is not the way to draft but I hate seeing those guys not being taken until the 3rd round.
Why? With the positional depth that is where value would dictate you take them. Manning, Brees, Rodgers all with in the 3rd in my MFL10

Users who are viewing this thread