What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Victor Cruz, Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Giants training camp: 5 takeaways from the first week

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/07/giants_training_camp_5_takeaways_from_the_first_week.html

Excerpt:

3. Victor Cruz Will Catch a Ton of Passes

Despite the Giants offense and Manning being woefully ineffective last season, wide receiver Victor Cruz was on pace for 83 receptions before suffering a season-ending injury in Week 14. In this new offense, with Cruz playing the role of Green Bay's Randall Cobb and being moved all over the field, 100 receptions is a possibility. Cruz is (and has been) Manning's security blanket. That is not going to change, and will be more prevalent than ever in an unfamiliar offense that demands the ball comes out quickly. Even though the offense has looked shaky in the early part of camp, the one constant has been Manning and Cruz, who have connected for touchdowns on three straight days. They already appear on the same page. Can't imagine that changing anytime soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruz remains underrated in dynasty format. He is clearly still the Giants top wr and with the new offense being installed, he will prove to be an excellent asset for years to come.

I'm considering buying a ticket to this train. An important part of my yearly analysis is examining players coming off down years to see if they may be mis-priced and good "buy lows".

Cruz seems to fit in this category IMO.

As an owner in a lot of Cruz FF stock I'm excited as well. I only hope Randle can take a step forward and Beckham can get healthy enough to make defense pay them some attention. Cruz seems to do best when there's other targets defenses have to account for.

I'm not so sure guys, they just drafted a WR that could fill his roll in the slot and they seem to be high and Randle.

I'm not so sure guys, they just drafted a WR that could fill his roll in the slot and they seem to be high and Randle.
They've said that they see Beckham as an outside receiver. I'm pretty sure they will keep Cruz in the slot in 3 wide sets, where he has historically excelled, rather than a rookie who is missing camp reps due to a hammy.

Cruz is the only sure thing at WR. Beckham and Randle are the question marks. Even if Beckham and Randle play great, Cruz will be the slot guy and get his in the Randall Cobb role. Cruz was great when he actually had a decent WR (Nicks) on the opposite side of him

Sell and run for the hills! Eli+WCO=Disaster. Get out of everything Giants before it's too late.
As for "get out of everything Giants before it's too late", you're too late. Before last year was the time to sell while everyone's value was high. Now everyone's value is low so now is the time to buy. Why would you sell all Giants when they are at their lowest value? That's just terrible fantasy advice.

The Giants have gone from bad to winning super bowls in back to back years all the time. I'm not saying they are a super bowl caliber team, but I do expect a big bounce back this year assuming they aren't the most injured team in the NFL again this year. Hard to be any good when your offensive lineman miss a combined 31 starts.

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz says there's no reason to panic about the Giants' lackluster offensive showing this preseason.

"We have not shown a lot," Cruz said. "We haven’t given a lot of plays or tipped our hand on a lot of things that we have shown yet. It is still pretty base stuff. We just have to do a better job of executing." Cruz hasn't caught a single pass through three preseason games and dropped a deep ball over the weekend. Rueben Randle has one catch for 12 yards. The only receiver making any noise is UDFA Corey Washington, who has three scores. We still like Cruz as a high-volume pass catcher in OC Ben McAdoo's scheme that should fit Cruz well.

Source: New York Daily News

Aug 19 - 10:32 AM

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz caught five passes for 107 yards and one touchdown in the Giants' Week 3 win over the Texans.

After a drop-filled first two weeks, Cruz reeled in 5-of-6 targets. He worked mostly against CB Kareem Jackson. Cruz took a quick slant upfield for a 61-yard gain in the first half, but was caught from behind around the 15-yard line. He later found the end zone on a post pattern from 26 yards out. Cruz stopped on a dime, changed direction, and exploded toward the end zone for the score. The Giants' passing game has found a bit of a rhythm the past two weeks. They'll look to continue it Thursday against the Redskins. Cruz is a solid WR2/3.

Sep 21 - 5:35 PM

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz caught 3-of-6 targets for 22 yards in the Giants' Week 5 win over the Falcons.

The Giants spread the ball around behind target leader Rueben Randle, who finished with 10 targets while Cruz ranked second with six. Cruz has been up and down through the season's first five weeks, but he will be worth firing up against the Eagles' leaky secondary in Week 6. He's a WR2/3 in fantasy.

Oct 5 - 4:15 PM

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz was carted off with a torn patellar tendon in Sunday night's game against the Eagles.

Cruz suffered the knee injury after dropping a two-yard touchdown in the back of the end-zone. It's terrible news for the Giants, as Cruz's season is likely over. Cruz had just two catches for 16 yards prior to going down. He'll finish 2014 with a 23/337/1 line over six games. Odell Beckham will start opposite Rueben Randle, with Preston Parker playing in three-wide sets.

Oct 12 - 10:30 PM

On the positive side, sounds like most athletes have a good recovery from this injury and are able to play the following year.

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz's knee injury is considered more serious than an ACL tear.

Cruz ruptured his right patellar tendon against the Eagles Sunday night. It's a rare injury, one that the Daily News says "could rob him of what makes him truly dangerous: his explosive change-of-direction ability." Cruz is tentatively expected back for 2015 training camp, but effectiveness is going to be a major question mark for the slot man that desperately needs his quicks.

Oct 14 - 8:55 AM

On the positive side, sounds like most athletes have a good recovery from this injury and are able to play the following year.
What concerns me is that I've heard while coming back is almost a certainty, a speed/quicks guy like Cruz is unlikely to ever be the same player again. If this happens to a QB, you can be back 98% or 100% in terms of production, but that may not be the case here.

Which totally sucks.

What concerns me is that I've heard while coming back is almost a certainty, a speed/quicks guy like Cruz is unlikely to ever be the same player again. If this happens to a QB, you can be back 98% or 100% in terms of production, but that may not be the case here.

Which totally sucks.
The guy Cruz got the job from - Steve Smith - was never the same after his knee injury.

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz was carted off with a torn patellar tendon in Sunday night's game against the Eagles.

Cruz suffered the knee injury after dropping a two-yard touchdown in the back of the end-zone. It's terrible news for the Giants, as Cruz's season is likely over. Cruz had just two catches for 16 yards prior to going down. He'll finish 2014 with a 23/337/1 line over six games. Odell Beckham will start opposite Rueben Randle, with Preston Parker playing in three-wide sets.

You would think he would have waited until the process of the catch was complete for a TD before grabbing his knee.

Rotoworld:

You would think he would have waited until the process of the catch was complete for a TD before grabbing his knee.
lol, im assuming you're joking cause a patellar rupture is compared to being shot in the knee. knee cap rolls up into the quad.

cstu said:
Koya said:

Which totally sucks.
The guy Cruz got the job from - Steve Smith - was never the same after his knee injury.
And he was hardly a speedster.

Rotoworld:

Giants placed WR Victor Cruz on injured reserve with a torn right patellar tendon, ending his season.

Cruz is facing a daunting recovery from an injury that's usually more serious than a torn ACL. Provided he progresses without setbacks, however, he should be ready for next year's training camp. The question is if he'll be the same player. Going on 28, Cruz is signed through 2018. His $6.15 million 2015 salary isn't guaranteed, but he should be back with the G-Men on the same deal.

Oct 14 - 5:36 PM

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz - WR - Giants

Giants GM Jerry Reese admitted he's "gotta prepare as if 'What if Victor [Cruz] doesn't come back?'" after Cruz suffered a torn right patellar tendon in October.

"That’s always in the back of your head," Reese continued. "What if this guy doesn’t come back and be the player that we think he is?" The injury Cruz suffered is more serious than a torn ACL and has derailed past careers. It'll be especially tough for Cruz because he relies on suddenness and change-of-direction so much as a slot receiver. Cruz recently progressed to running on a treadmill.

Dec 31 - 9:18 AM

Rotoworld:

Coach Tom Coughlin suggested Victor Cruz (patellar tendon) could miss the start of the season.

Coughlin said the "goal" is for Cruz to be ready Week 1, but "if it doesn't happen, we just went through that" with Odell Beckham last year. (Beckham didn't play until October.) Patellar tendon tears require extremely long rehabs and are tougher to come back from than ACL injuries. With the Giants stocked at receiver with OBJ, Rueben Randle, Corey Washington, and Dwayne Harris, they could take it slow with Cruz. There's a chance he could begin the season on reserve/PUP.

Source: Bart Hubbuch on Twitter
Mar 25 - 11:34 AM

Rotoworld:

NJ.com considers Victor Cruz's 2015 production off a patellar tendon tear a "crapshoot."

Cruz is five months removed from surgery and he's "nowhere near" ready for football action. The Giants hope to be able to ease him in at training camp in August, but that's far from a given. And even once Cruz does get back, the concern is that he won't have the short-area quicks that made him so effective in the slot. Patellar tears are far rarer and more difficult to overcome than ACL tears.

Source: NJ.com
Mar 26 - 8:43 AM

There was a Cruz video posted on FB a couple weeks back. I can't find it googling.

I liked how he looked working out and it eased my concerns some.

Maybe someone can post it here?

He was doing a drill sliding side to side and that would "kill" on a hurt knee.

The Giants would save only $2.45 million against this year's cap if they cut Cruz now, and they have no reason to do so. Especially because of the injury, it wouldn't save them any real money anyway.
Cruz has $1.5M left in guaranteed money owed to him out of his salary and bonus of $6.25M. That's a real money savings of $4.75M if he's cut.

Am I missing something?
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/victor-cruz/

The Giants would save only $2.45 million against this year's cap if they cut Cruz now, and they have no reason to do so. Especially because of the injury, it wouldn't save them any real money anyway.
Cruz has $1.5M left in guaranteed money owed to him out of his salary and bonus of $6.25M. That's a real money savings of $4.75M if he's cut.

Am I missing something?
That's where I get the information? :confused:

Am I missing something?
Maybe you're missing the dead cap column?

Am I missing something?
Maybe you're missing the dead cap column?
Dead cap is the sum of the pro-rated signing bonus plus any remaining guaranteed money.

Only $1.5M of his salary is guaranteed and the rest ($4.75M) would be a savings in real money.

ETA: Actually I'm wrong - I missed the $1.5 roster bonus that they paid him last year so he has no guaranteed money left and the Giants would save $6.15M if he's cut ($6.225M if they cut him now and don't pay his $75k workout bonus).

It wouldn't save them much on the cap this year, but would save them $1.9M each of the next two year for a total of $3.8M.

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz (knee surgery) recently began running on flat ground.

Cruz continues to say he wants to be ready for full contact when training camp opens in July. That's probably very optimistic, as the Giants will likely take it extremely slow with Cruz thanks to their solid depth out wide. Cruz admits he's still trying to build up the muscles around his knee because of all the atrophy.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Apr 10 - 11:00 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN New York reports the Giants don't know whether Victor Cruz will recover from his torn patellar tendon.
Cruz is just over six months removed from surgery. He was recently cleared to run on flat ground, and hasn’t had any setbacks. Cruz is targeting the start of training camp for his return, but that’s far from a given. The Giants are concerned Cruz may never regain his pre-injury form.

Source: ESPN New York
Apr 15 - 4:43 PM

Rotoworld:

Victor Cruz (patellar tendon) attended Eli Manning's workouts at Duke University, but with very little participation.
It's not a surprise with Cruz recovering from one of football's most-severe injuries. Eli says the group has "taken it easy" on Cruz, who only recently began running on flat ground, and isn't yet pushing it at full speed. "He was able to spot up with some things, kind of light jogging. I didn't want him to push anything or do anything that would have any setbacks," said Manning. "So just catching passes and hearing plays called and thinking about what he has to run." It sounds like Cruz's "participation" essentially amounted to "mental reps."

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Apr 20 - 4:04 PM

Rotoworld:

Speaking in a Monday radio interview, Giants GM Jerry Reese estimated Victor Cruz (patellar tendon) is 85-90 percent done with his rehab.

The G-Men have declined to attach an exact date to Cruz's return, but continue to project cautious optimism. Cruz has a real chance at being ready for the start of camp, but even if he's close to 100 percent, the G-Men may exercise caution and start him out on the active/PUP list.

Source: Nick Powell on Twitter
May 4 - 2:20 PM

Users who are viewing this thread