What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger - initially didn't want Steelers QB Kenny Pickett to succeed (2 Viewers)

Faust

MVP
Big Ben: My arm is stronger than it's ever been

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000369929/article/big-ben-my-arm-is-stronger-than-its-ever-been

Ben Roethlisberger has always been known for a strong arm.

Even so, the Pittsburgh Steelers signal-caller devoted the offseason to adding zip to his right arm. He also worked with a personal trainer and nutritionist for the first time to shed weight from his 6-foot-5, 241-pound frame.

"My arm is stronger than it's been in my career, I believe," Roethlisberger said Saturday, per Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Even in practices and minicamp the receivers said, 'Ben that ball is getting to us a lot quicker, with a lot more spin on it, it feels real good.' That should translate into better play."

Scott Brown @ScottBrown_ESPN

Roethlisberger completes another sideline pass, this one to Antonio Brown. Man he has a live arm today.

2:36 PM - 26 Jul 2014

Coming off an 8-8 season, the Steelers could use improved play from their franchise QB, not that Ben was the problem. For the second consecutive offseason, Pittsburgh lost a top receiver to free agency.

Big Ben also has his unresolved contract status hanging over his head. The 32-year-old has just two years remaining on his current deal, and team president Art Rooney II said Friday that the Steelers won't negotiate an extension until after the season.

"As I put my faith and trust in them, when the time is right, we'll get it done," Roethlisberger said. "Now I can just concentrate on football."

The two-time Super Bowl champ's confidence is buoyed by the implentation of the no-huddle offense down the stretch last season, a strategy he says "needs to be an integral part of our offense" in 2014

"You start getting to 32, it's time," he said. "As your body deteriorates, your natural talents start to go a little bit. You have to bring in physical working out, building, taking protein and doing extra stuff.

"I want this year to be my best year, and if I have to do extra things, I'm going to do it."

The latest "Around The League Podcast" offers up team-by-team training camp previews of the NFC East and NFC West.

Last edited:
There are 5 pages of Ben threads going back to 2006 and surprisingly none are really a consistent discussion of his FF prospects. Things pick up and drop off over the years.

It seems to me he had a great finish to last year and now the team seems to want to continue with the fast tempo often no-huddle approach. Wheaton may emerge and I think Lance Moore is a terrific addition for Ben, Lance is a QB's best friend. Plus Miller finally returns healthy by the look of it. Also possibly Archer will be a nice specialty offensive option.

Anyone targeting him in drafts and trades?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are 5 pages of Ben threads going back to 2006 and surprisingly none are really a consistent discussion of his FF prospects. Things pick up and drop off over the years.

It seems to me he had a great finish to last year and now the team seems to want to continue with the fast tempo often no-huddle approach. Wheaton may emerge and I think Lance Moore is a terrific addition for Ben, Lance is a QB's best friend. Plus Miller finally returns healthy by the look of it. Also possibly Archer will be a nice specialty offensive option.

Anyone targeting him in drafts and trades?
You know, I like Ben, and I like his prospects for the year. But I just can't talk myself into the idea that his upside is any better than about 15th in the league in this era when everybody seems to be either a 4000/30 threat, or a hybrid QB/RB.

I see he finished 12th in my leagues for last year, and I can certainly see Rivers and Dalton tumbling from their higher finishes based on scheme adjustments. But I've got to believe Rodgers, Griffin, Brady, Cutler and Ryan are almost slam dunks to leapfrog him. And I don't like his chances that much better than guys I can get even cheaper like Palmer or Eli. And if I'm going to take a flyer, wouldn't I rather grab Geno Smith in the endgame and hope he can keep his 20+ point highs while smoothing out his lows, and become a real steal? There's not that kind of upside with Ben.

He's just caught in kind of a fantasy no-man's-land. He can be okay, but I can't see him being much better than okay when his career bests would have given you last place QB points last year. :shrug:

I'll just enjoy him as an NFL QB.

Ben keeps falling into my lap late as a backup QB. In two leagues he is backing up Matt Ryan and in another Drew Brees. I will gladly take steady Ben as a backup/injury fill in over someone like Tannehill etc.........

In redraft, Ben is a great backup or an average starter. I don't think he has ever been higher than about 5th in any season in my league, and most season's he is somewhere in the 7 to 12 range.

In dynasty, I unloaded him a couple of years ago because of a story I read talking about how often he takes big hits as a result of how long he sits in the pocket waiting for a player to get open. This makes him a good QB but the argument was that it would affect the length of his career. He is a big guy and can take a hit but I think this theory has begun to show signs of truth. He is healthy now, but how long? In dynasty I think he is a sell. In redraft he is a great backup and a good QB1 if you pair him with the right QB2 in a QBBC.

In redraft, Ben is a great backup or an average starter. I don't think he has ever been higher than about 5th in any season in my league, and most season's he is somewhere in the 7 to 12 range.
He's much worse than an average starter. Yhe last four years he's been QB11, QB18, QB13, and QB17.

In terms of PPG Roeth has finished:

2013 - 12th

2012 - 11th

2011 - 14th

in the last three years, with two top-7 finishes prior to that. He typically misses a game or two, which is what (IMO) keeps him from getting any credit.

He's value every year, including this one (ADP of 16th/17th).

Best might be yet to come for Big Ben:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/8842/best-may-be-yet-to-come-for-roethlisberger

By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH Ben Roethlisberger to the St. Louis Rams?

The veteran quarterback could only laugh off a tweet, which surfaced earlier this week, that has the Steelers dealing him before the trade deadline if they get off to another slow start this season.

I guess thats the world we live in. People can make up whatever they want [on social media] and its unfortunate, Roethlisberger said. Thats why I dont tweet and Facebook and all that other stuff.

Roethlisberger and the Steelers can each say until they are blue in the face that the shared goal is for him to play his entire career in Pittsburgh, and it still wont stop speculation about his future.

If team president Art Rooney II is looking to unload the most important Steelers most important player since the dynastic teams of the 1970s, he sure doesnt sound like it.

I dont see anything physically that would lead you to believe [Roethlisberger] is starting to tail off in any way, Rooney told ESPN.com recently. So I think maybe some of his best years are still ahead of him here.

Roethlisberger, who turned 32 in March, still certainly appears to be in his prime.

He is coming off a season in which he threw for the most second-most yards (4,261) and touchdowns (28) in his career. The 6-foot-5, 241-pound quarterback is also taking fewer hits with the Steelers running the no-huddle offense more frequently.

Just as significant: Roethlisberger and Todd Haley are in a good place after an, ahem, adjustment period when the latter succeeded Bruce Arians as the Steelers offensive coordinator in 2012.

For all of the talk about how the two arent exactly golfing buddies, they have in fact hit the links a couple of times together this year, Haley said.

Hes as competitive as they come, said Haley, who has a similar reputation. It doesnt matter whether its on a Sunday or on the golf course. Thats a trait that you love to see guys have. Hes competitive when you start naming '80s music too. He is surprisingly good.

Hes not bad at playing quarterback, either.

Roethlisberger is in the process of rewriting the Steelers record book, and he has the best winning percentage (.669) this side of Tom Brady and Peyton Manning among active NFL quarterbacks.

Cornerback Ike Taylor said Roethlisberger is the most underrated quarterback in the NFL even though Big Ben, Brady and Eli Manning are the only active quarterbacks who have won multiple Super Bowls.

Just being a tough, hard-nosed guy, I dont think he gets the credit, Taylor said of Roethlisberger. How he plays, the injuries he plays through, thats why hes a Steeler.

Until they trade him to the Rams, anyway.

In terms of PPG Roeth has finished:

2013 - 12th

2012 - 11th

2011 - 14th

in the last three years, with two top-7 finishes prior to that. He typically misses a game or two, which is what (IMO) keeps him from getting any credit.

He's value every year, including this one (ADP of 16th/17th).
He might be slightly undervalued and may even have a decent season. But looking at the past three seasons as a whole, Big Ben ranks 14th in fantasy ppg for players that appeared in at least 20 games (and less than half a point per game from ranking 16th). He is what he is. A top half QB2 with limited upside to crack the Top 10 if things really go his way.

Roethlisberger had a really strong second half last year. I had to play him in my league due to Rodgers' injury. He was 4th in total points and 5th in ppg for the second half. Strong QB2 with good upside this year. Pittsburgh going up tempo like they did in 2nd half last year. OK schedule. Undervalued.

Roethlisberger had a really strong second half last year. I had to play him in my league due to Rodgers' injury. He was 4th in total points and 5th in ppg for the second half. Strong QB2 with good upside this year. Pittsburgh going up tempo like they did in 2nd half last year. OK schedule. Undervalued.
I hadn't really looked into it, but it does seem like he saw a nice value bump in the second half. Does the increase in production correspond pretty well with a time when the Steelers made a shift to the no-huddle/uptempo stuff?

Big Ben had an interesting season last year as he had 8 games with over 35 passing attempts (with an average of 44) and 8 games with fewer than 35 attempts (with an average of 29). The high attempt games were varied throughout the season.

The splits in the two categories?

1573-10-6

2688-18-8

Oh . . . one other thing. In the low pass attempt games, PIT went 7-1. In the high pass attempt games, they went 1-7. So if people can figure out if the PIT defense is going to be any good and how many games they will be ahead, then we can decipher if Roethlisberger will have fantasy value or not.

Rotoworld;

Ben Roethlisberger - QB - Steelers

Ben Roethlisberger completed 22-of-30 passes for 196 yards and two touchdowns in Sunday night's 37-19 blowout of the Panthers.

The Steelers didn't need their pass game with Le'Veon Bell and LeGarrette Blount both rushing for over 100 yards, but Roethlisberger was able to connect with Antonio Brown for two third-quarter touchdowns. One of his touchdowns was a vintage Big Ben play where he pump faked the entire Panthers defense and made a cross-field throw to Brown. Roethlisberger should get more opportunities to throw in a matchup with the Bucs in Week 4, making him a low-end QB1. He's averaging 273 passing yards with a 3:2 TD:INT ratio through three games.

Sep 22 - 12:09 AM

Rotoworld:

Ben Roethlisberger completed 23-of-33 passes for 265 yards, two touchdowns, and zero interceptions in the Steelers' Week 7 win over the Texans on Monday night.

Roethlisberger absorbed three sacks and lost his right tackle and left tackle for stretches in this one. The offense got off to a really slow start, being held scoreless until there was 3:08 left in the first half. That's when Big Ben hooked up with rookie WR Martavis Bryant for a 35-yard touchdown over the top of the defense. The flood gates opened for Pittsburgh. Antonio Brown found Lance Moore for a three-yard touchdown 1:41 later, and Ben then found Le'Veon Bell for a two-yard score just 49 seconds after that. Roethlisberger hooked up with Brown nine times for 90 yards and had a 16-yard score called back when Brown couldn't get a second foot in bounds. Ben will be a mid-range QB2 vs. the Colts next week.

Oct 21 - 12:02 AM

Rotoworld:

Ben Roethlisberger had a record-setting day in the Steelers' 51-34, Week 8 win over the Colts, completing 40-of-49 passes for 522 yards and six touchdowns.

Roethlisberger's 522 yards were tied for the fourth most in NFL history, while the six scores were a new Steelers record. Operating out of clean pockets, Big Ben systematically dismantled a defense missing its top defensive back in Vontae Davis (knee). As usual, Antonio Brown was Roethlisberger's leading receiver, snagging 10 passes for 133 yards and two scores. The six-score explosion comes after Roethlisberger entered Week 8 with just four touchdowns over his past three games. With half the season now in the books, he's on pace for a career-high 4,760 yards and 32 touchdowns. Next up is the Ravens' stout pass defense on Sunday Night Football.

Oct 26 - 7:59 PM

Benched him for Foles, still won but I dont think I will be benching him again. Lookin good since they have started Bryant.

He has single-handedly brough me back into playoff contention.

Both weeks I was heavy underdog going into his game and then he comes out and does this.

Has to be frustrating for the teams playing against Ben in these later games.

Would imagine that nearly all in redraft, and likely a majority in dynasty as well, have been using Ben as their QB2/bye week fill-in

Maybe you had the stones to play the match ups through this year, but Ben's -- and the Steelers' -- consistency through this year has not made Ben a reliable start.

His last two starts have been as unbelievable as Keanu Reeves being an NFL QB and hitting his deaf TE in the end zone to advance to the playoffs.

So -- do people really trust Big Ben to give them consistent fantasy starts through this year?

All signs point to being favorable, with a fairly soft remaining schedule through FF playoffs (NYJ, @TEN, bye, NO, @CIN, @ATL, KC). Steelers opponents need to account for a solid running game as well as multiple receiving threats in Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton.

Even with these signs, I still worry about leaning on Ben.Yes, he'll regress back to the mean, and his superhuman performances these past two weeks can't continue. But what will that mean be?

Would imagine that nearly all in redraft, and likely a majority in dynasty as well, have been using Ben as their QB2/bye week fill-in

Maybe you had the stones to play the match ups through this year, but Ben's -- and the Steelers' -- consistency through this year has not made Ben a reliable start.

His last two starts have been as unbelievable as Keanu Reeves being an NFL QB and hitting his deaf TE in the end zone to advance to the playoffs.

So -- do people really trust Big Ben to give them consistent fantasy starts through this year?

All signs point to being favorable, with a fairly soft remaining schedule through FF playoffs (NYJ, @TEN, bye, NO, @CIN, @ATL, KC). Steelers opponents need to account for a solid running game as well as multiple receiving threats in Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton.

Even with these signs, I still worry about leaning on Ben.Yes, he'll regress back to the mean, and his superhuman performances these past two weeks can't continue. But what will that mean be?
My starting QB was rg3... Then moved on to Dalton... Then transitioned to Big Ben in week 7.

I think he's a must start until he doesn't throw 6 TDs.

Interesting that he's thrown two meaningless fourth down Tds in back to back games.

This is why you never take a qb in the first 2 rounds. My season has been tanking with Brees as Big Ben chills on my bench.

He's @ Jets and @ TEN next 2 weeks. Luck and Rivers are on byes. I don't know how you don't start him over almost anyone not named Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Manning next week?

He's @ Jets and @ TEN next 2 weeks. Luck and Rivers are on byes. I don't know how you don't start him over almost anyone not named Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Manning next week?
Jets defense is dead last in opposing QBs Rating and allowing the most pass TDs in the NFL with only 1 interception.

The matchups look great and certainly plug him in if your starter is out, but one thing to keep his mind is his home/road splits so far are wildly different. Even against avg to bad defenses on the road (Jax, Cle, Car) he's been underwhelming.

Maybe Bryant in the lineup changes things, but I'd continue to proceed with caution

Big Ben has been my starting QB all year. We do an auction draft and I spent big on RB and WR leaving me little to work with at QB. I was stoked to get Roethlisberger for $4 of a $200 budget late in the auction.

I've got no choice but to continue to lean on him. I don't need 6TDs weekly from him, but if I could count on 250 and 2 I can work with that. Of more concern to me is the Arian Foster injury.

I am actually considering starting him over Brees. With Brees at home though, not sure I have the stones to do it.

Funny, I happened to grab Big Ben last Sunday morning before his big game; I have Brady on the bye this week and loved Ben's matchup with the Jets.

Now maybe I'll be able to get something for him in trade, though I have no clue how much people would be willing to give up after the last 2 weeks.

Skoo said:
Funny, I happened to grab Big Ben last Sunday morning before his big game; I have Brady on the bye this week and loved Ben's matchup with the Jets.

Now maybe I'll be able to get something for him in trade, though I have no clue how much people would be willing to give up after the last 2 weeks.
its not going to be much.

Especially when you have the likes of Tannehill & Eli putting up decent numbers.

Who are people grabbing to cover Big Ben's bye?

Week 12 will likely be as critical as any for many with a playoff spot on the line.

I think a good preemptive play is to grab Orton for his week 12 matchup at home versus the Jets.

Users who are viewing this thread