What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger - initially didn't want Steelers QB Kenny Pickett to succeed (2 Viewers)

Ben hasn't been good on the road in a while and that's been well documented, but I think he's going to play well this weekend.  Probably the Homer in me and I'm being hopeful, but he seems to plays best when his back is to the wall.  Nobody expects a great performance from him, but I think he delivers.

Ben hasn't been good on the road in a while and that's been well documented, but I think he's going to play well this weekend.  Probably the Homer in me and I'm being hopeful, but he seems to plays best when his back is to the wall.  Nobody expects a great performance from him, but I think he delivers.
I think he also plays better when they're the underdog.  Recall the run he went on to play the Seahawks.  He sucked  in the Superbowl but was lights out in the games leading up to it.

Former teammate Willie Colon said Ben Roethlisberger "seriously" considered retirement this offseason.

"I got to sit down and talk to him and one thing he told me is he did take it seriously," Colon said on PFT Live. "He’s dealt with a lot of injuries." The Steelers did not seem particularly concerned about the retirement rumors this spring, but perhaps they should be moving forward. Ben will turn 36 next March and could take retirement even more "seriously" if he deals with injuries again this season. Perhaps preparing for the future, the Steelers drafted Josh Dobbs in the fourth round of this year's draft.

Source: Pro Football Talk 
May 16 - 11:06 AM

How are owners feeling about Ben this week at home vs Minnesota?

Drafted him with the idea of playing him every home game, and subbing in someone else for away games. Seems like a rough matchup though.

I'd pass on playing him if I could, but it's a rough week for streaming. If they don't feel that Bell is ready to go yet, there could be a lot more throwing. I would project him for 275 yards, 2 TDs, and 2 turnovers.

How are owners feeling about Ben this week at home vs Minnesota?

Drafted him with the idea of playing him every home game, and subbing in someone else for away games. Seems like a rough matchup though.
Yeah, Vikes have a nice D.  Jax looks like a stout unit too.  By the time the Bengals come to town, Burfict and Pacman will be back.  Packers looked buff against the Seahawks, and Daniels may well be the Next Big Thing on the interior.  Ravens after that.  New England visits the following week...how does that usually go?  Close the season with the same Browns they already faced and struggled against, except with maybe a year of experience under Peppers' belt and a healthy Garrett this time...

If not now, then when?

You got him because the stats say start him at home.  Disregard the matchup, accept that this is a high octane offense that opens the throttle at Heinz, and start him.  Or else dump him now and accept that you wasted a draft pick on a player you're tentative to start under any circumstance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just traded for the guy. 

Do you think he hangs 'em after the season? 

His 2nd half schedule looks great to me, he should put up good numbers.  Or am I missing something? 

Personal opinion is he hangs them up, but I am just some random guy with no inside information.  I had a chance to get him before this season and declined due to this reason.  Second part of your question, with the Defense playing so good I'm not sure we see as many stud games from him.  Kind of like Brees in New Orleans this year.

I picked this guy up and plan to start him over Carr this week, possibly ROS. Carr was a flop for me for the most part. Bummer. Big Ben looks to have turned things around. Could save my season potentially. We will see!

Bens been great but Baltimore is good and it’s gonna be cold and kinda windy.  I heard defensive backfield for Ravens was all banged up but their report doesn’t  show jack.  My option is Matt Ryan so need to choose soon. 

Bens been great but Baltimore is good and it’s gonna be cold and kinda windy.  I heard defensive backfield for Ravens was all banged up but their report doesn’t  show jack.  My option is Matt Ryan so need to choose soon. 
Well Jimmy Smith just went on ir

Well Jimmy Smith just went on ir
I like BAL's secondary anyway, but the bigger deal for me is how tragic PIT's defense is without Shazier and Haden.  Ben's gonna have to throw, and throw often, if the Steelers want to stay in the game.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 2h2 hours ago

Steelers’ QB Ben Roethlisberger told reporters he plans to return for the 2018 season.

Adam Schefter‏ @AdamSchefter 2h2 hours ago

Steelers’ QB Ben Roethlisberger told reporters he plans to return for the 2018 season.
Interesting.  Pretty sure Ben said last off-season (when he made his “not sure if he was coming back comments) that he thinks about retirement each off-season.  

fred_1_15301 said:
As a Steelers fan I hope Ben plays into his 40s.  I’m scared of what the future holds Post Ben 
As a Ben/diehard Steeler fan, I would rather see him retire then go nowhere with Tomlin for the next 5 years.  No if he forces Tomlin to resign he can play til he's 70.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1181/ben-roethlisberger

According to Steelers C Maurkice Pouncey, Ben Roethlisberger told teammates he plans on playing at least three more seasons.

Roethlisberger had already confirmed his return for next season, but now it looks like he'll remain in Pittsburgh at least through the end of his current contract, which runs through 2019. The Steelers made an appeal to Big Ben last week by replacing his nemesis Todd Haley with QBs coach and noted-Roethlisberger advocate Randy Fichtner at offensive coordinator. The two-time Super Bowl champ turns 36 in March. Jan 26 - 3:47 PM

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Reporter should have asked about the potential losses when Ben's not playing which is not to mention the teams decision to hopefully take the BPA  (imo) The pick may have been the steal of the draft  

He has a good ADP relative to consensu expert rankings. If you are somone that likes to roster 2 QBs and alternate, I think he is a good value. He is very boom-bust week to week but we know the numbers will be there by the end of the year. Since AB broke out in 2013, Ben's 16 game average is 4600 and 30. So if you get another solid QB to pair with him for Ben's tough road games and any games Ben misses due to injury, I think you can be in a very good spot at QB. 

Users who are viewing this thread