What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ben Roethlisberger - initially didn't want Steelers QB Kenny Pickett to succeed (1 Viewer)

So after this season, Roethlisberger will be the 2nd highest paid QB after Wilson. So after all his talk last off season, of being ok sacrificing money to win championships, and giving that money to "the other guys who allow me to be this good" (his words) he needs 34 million a year. 

Say what you will about Antonio Brown, he's 100% on the mark when it comes to Roethlisberger. I mean, not that he isn't worth that, but he made a pretty big deal about not wanting to be that guy, and then instantly became it. 

Say what you will about Antonio Brown, he's 100% on the mark when it comes to Roethlisberger. I mean, not that he isn't worth that, but he made a pretty big deal about not wanting to be that guy, and then instantly became it. 
How does this contract substantiate anything AB said about Ben?  I'm not following.

How does this contract substantiate anything AB said about Ben?  I'm not following.
Brown said his biggest problem with Roethlisberger, was that he'd tell teammates what they'd want to hear, either in person, or to the media, and then talk crap about them to management behind their back. Brown either said, or implied, that Ben was two faced.

Roethlisberger did a bunch of interviews last off season, about how Tom Brady was doing it right, and that championships were the goal, not making money. He said, he wanted his money to go toward keeping the players around him happy, he mentioned Pouncey and Gilbert by name, and it seemed like he was referring to Bell as well, but didn't wanna mention him by name. 

Fast forward a year, and the Steelers are coming off a season of not making the playoffs, letting 2 former all-pros go, and Roethlisberger becoming the 2nd highest paid QB in the NFL behind Wilson, on a per year basis. Again, his play is worthy of it, Big Ben is arguably a top-5 QB, but it just looks like he said all these things he would do, and then did the opposite, just like Brown said he would.

I'm not absolving Brown for his role in his departure, but it looks a little fishy, that Brown and Bell aren't worth more money, but the guy saying he doesn't want the money, gets a huge raise.

I'm not absolving Brown for his role in his departure, but it looks a little fishy, that Brown and Bell aren't worth more money, but the guy saying he doesn't want the money, gets a huge raise.
The NFL is a business.  The teams know it, the players know it, the agents know it.  Maybe some day fans will figure it out.

Ben Roethlisberger is looking forward to getting back to "normalcy."

Contract issues and internal squabbles have been a fixture in Pittsburgh over the last few years, and reporting suggests Roethlisberger played his fair share in the drama. While Le'Veon Bell and Antonio Brown leaving does create a quieter locker room, it also means Roethlisberger will be without two of the most talented players in the league. JuJu Smith-Schuster is there to pick up the slack, but it would not be surprising if Roethlisberger takes a step back this year.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Jun 17, 2019, 8:30 AM ET

I can't wait to see the 2019 Steelers. I'm predicting big things. I spent the better part of 7 years working on the periphery of the Penn St. football program (strength and conditioning) to a point where I can confidently say that a Team with a strong organization behind it, solid coaching, and quality depth, can achieve things far greater as a whole than the sum of it's parts, and sustain a loss of talent that has negative aura and issues. The losses of AB and LBell (and some might argue, from a football standpoint, at least, Jesse James) aren't something to sneeze at, but are offset by not only the offensive depth the Steelers possess, but the sheer amount of noise and distraction that's been cleared out of that locker room and team dynamic. No one on that team who is a true professional football player is going to miss the extra curricular hijinx of either of those  two talented bozos. Come training camp,  it's going to feel like a blast of fresh air tgv throughout that facility. This is a talented bunch that's going to be very focused on chasing excellence in 2019. I say they do it.

I can't wait to see the 2019 Steelers. I'm predicting big things. I spent the better part of 7 years working on the periphery of the Penn St. football program (strength and conditioning) to a point where I can confidently say that a Team with a strong organization behind it, solid coaching, and quality depth, can achieve things far greater as a whole than the sum of it's parts, and sustain a loss of talent that has negative aura and issues. The losses of AB and LBell (and some might argue, from a football standpoint, at least, Jesse James) aren't something to sneeze at, but are offset by not only the offensive depth the Steelers possess, but the sheer amount of noise and distraction that's been cleared out of that locker room and team dynamic. No one on that team who is a true professional football player is going to miss the extra curricular hijinx of either of those  two talented bozos. Come training camp,  it's going to feel like a blast of fresh air tgv throughout that facility. This is a talented bunch that's going to be very focused on chasing excellence in 2019. I say they do it.
Ben's still there, guy.  Along with the ultimate enabler, coach Tomlin.

A majority of athletes playing at the highest level of high school, college and professional football thrive on, and in many cases, rely on structure, routine, accountability, chain of command and other infrastructural dynamics, to the point where they could be justifiably described as being 'institutionally programmed', almost like a colony of ants. Every day of their lives exists around a schedule, and anything that throws it off results in some level of dysfunction. No matter how small, when a pebble hits the pond, there's a ripple effect. When external and peripheral things start to have a negative effect and disrupt the continuity of these dynamics, the effect can be, and sometimes is, exponential. You mess with the hill, the ants go nuts, and their efficiency goes right out the window to some degree, until some kind of order is restored. Thursday Night football is a case study in this. So are bye weeks - a buddy of mine was on the Redskins' staff for about 10 years through the late 00's to the mid teens, and the schedule the coaches and players were on during the bye resembled a game week schedule as much as possible, just to keep the routine in place, so chaos wouldn't ensue.

While the Tomlin/Roethlisberger dynamic may have it's own issues, and is far from flawless...from the standpoint of structural dynamics, with AB and LBell out of town, there is absolutely NO QUESTION to the rest of the ant colony that is the Steelers: who's in charge, who's who in the pecking order, and where the poop generates from, and how it flows downhill from there, and what's going to happen if you're a foot soldier and don't toe the line. Whether it's liked or not, is far less important than that order has been restored...and it's clearly defined so that even a dummy can see it. That locker room is going to be the best football environment it's been, in years, and with that piece nailed down, this is going to be an incredibly football focused group going forward, IMHO.

I think I've used this example somewhere before: if you notice the behavior of a group of herd animals, say zebras, they behave in a markedly dysfunctional manner when in the high grass and there's confusion regarding the lions: are they around,  how many lions, and where they are located, what are they doing...although the optics might look bad for the zebras if we see a pride of lions in their general vicinity, in reality, as long as the zebras are out on the plain, and can clearly see them and know the distance, #'s, etc., the zebras remain focused and calm, exhibit normal social behaviors, and function very efficiently as a herd. Football players who have been institutionally programmed behave very much the same way.

Massive 'intangibles' upgrade for the Steelers going into 2019.

Ultimately it's going to come down to how much their defense has improved.  If no improvement, expect more of the same.  Also, will their kicker still come in with the yips?  I don't have many concerns about the offense.  

Ben Roethlisberger completed 8-of-13 passes for 63 yards and one touchdown in the Steelers' third preseason game.

Roethlisberger dinked and dunked his way down the field before hitting JuJu on a post route for six points. It's going to be different without Anotnio Brown, but Big Ben still has some weapons around him, especially if he can get the most out of Donte Moncrief or James Washington. Last year, Roethlisberger set career-highs in passing yards (5,129) and passing touchdowns (34) while leading the NFL in pass attempts (675).

Aug 25, 2019, 8:51 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger completed 27-of-47 passes for 276 yards and an interception in the Steelers' Week 1 loss to the Patriots.

Roethlisberger was even worse that his stats. The Patriots held him without a touchdown and he averaged just 5.9 yards per attempt. The Steelers offense looked less explosive without Antonio Brown, and Roethlisberger didn’t get any help from the run game. There should be better days ahead, but it’s far to wonder how much Roethlisberger has left. Roethlisberger will be a high-end QB2 for Week 2 against Seattle.

Sep 8, 2019, 11:32 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger completed 27-of-47 passes for 276 yards and an interception in the Steelers' Week 1 loss to the Patriots.

Roethlisberger was even worse that his stats. The Patriots held him without a touchdown and he averaged just 5.9 yards per attempt. The Steelers offense looked less explosive without Antonio Brown, and Roethlisberger didn’t get any help from the run game. There should be better days ahead, but it’s far to wonder how much Roethlisberger has left. Roethlisberger will be a high-end QB2 for Week 2 against Seattle.

Sep 8, 2019, 11:32 PM ET
I don't think the Steelers win if they had AB last night but Moncrief was absolutely horrible.  

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

#Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger, who has been shaking his throwing arm at various points during the first half, has gone to the locker room. Mason Rudolph is the backup.

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, a decision on whether Ben Roethlisberger needs surgery on his injured elbow will be made Monday.

Roethlisberger is headed for an MRI Monday, which should enlighten doctors as to whether he needs surgery, though Ben is hoping to avoid that "at all costs." Mason Rudolph played admirably in his NFL debut Sunday (112 yards on 12-for-19 passing with two touchdowns and one interception in a loss to Seattle) and would be in line to start against San Francisco in Week 3 if Roethlisberger can't get the green light. He could be worth a spin in two-quarterback and superflex settings.

RELATED: 

Mason Rudolph

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Sep 16, 2019, 8:27 AM ET

A lot of players don't want to leave the game due to injury so that might motivate Big Ben to come back and play again. Of course others say enough is enough and get healthy and decide to preserve what is left of their bodies and walk away. 

Big Ben is actually a fair bit younger than I thought given how long guys are playing the position in the modern NFL.  He's 2.5 years younger than Brees and only 1.5 years older than Aaron Rodgers (who has similarly taken a beating and had nagging injuries like Big Ben).  I think the retirement talk from a few years ago has kind of made us think of him as older than he is.  I could see him coming back from this.

The wildcard of course is if the 0-2 Steelers lose enough with Rudolph to be in position to grab one of next year's top QB prospects and he decides he doesn't want to be in an Eli situation where he's clearly the guy on his way out.

Big Ben is actually a fair bit younger than I thought given how long guys are playing the position in the modern NFL.  He's 2.5 years younger than Brees and only 1.5 years older than Aaron Rodgers (who has similarly taken a beating and had nagging injuries like Big Ben).  I think the retirement talk from a few years ago has kind of made us think of him as older than he is.  I could see him coming back from this.

The wildcard of course is if the 0-2 Steelers lose enough with Rudolph to be in position to grab one of next year's top QB prospects and he decides he doesn't want to be in an Eli situation where he's clearly the guy on his way out.
I could see the Steelers winning 4 games this year and getting a top 5 pick.  If that's the case, they should probably go  QB whether Ben is back or not. 

Chris Mortensen‏Verified account @mortreport

When I called Jake Delhomme very early this morning, he didn't even say hello. It was, "You're calling about Ben Roethlisberger, aren't you? As soon as I saw it, looked just like my injury." - The UCL tear in right elbow, which led to Tommy John surgery in October 2007.

10:50 AM - 16 Sep 2019

-------------------------------------

Chris Mortensen‏Verified account @mortreport 3h3 hours ago

Jake Delhomme had the Tommy John surgery and said his arm was "better than ever" six months later. Panthers finished 12-4 that next season (2008) and Delhomme started all 16 games.

I could see the Steelers winning 4 games this year and getting a top 5 pick.  If that's the case, they should probably go  QB whether Ben is back or not. 
I wouldn’t underestimate Mason Rudolph, he might be the qb of the future, and in the process, lead them to more than 4 wins. Also, after Tua, I’m not sure anyone is a better prospect than Rudolph, who I felt should have been a 1st rounder, and was a better prospect than Josh Allen or Daniel Jones.

It all depends on Rudolph.  They still play Cincy twice, Arizona, Buffalo, Jets and Miami.  Not to mention the division games against Cleveland and Baltimore which will probably be close.  They're going to win at SF this week.  Mark it.  These are my homer goggles so maybe your objective point of view is more accurate.

Truthfully, I'm just excited to see what Rudolph can do with a full season.  If they completely collapse and end up a 4 win team, that would mean that Rudolph is likely not the answer.  In that case, they would be going hard for a top QB in the draft.

It all depends on Rudolph.  They still play Cincy twice, Arizona, Buffalo, Jets and Miami.  Not to mention the division games against Cleveland and Baltimore which will probably be close.  They're going to win at SF this week.  Mark it.  These are my homer goggles so maybe your objective point of view is more accurate.

Truthfully, I'm just excited to see what Rudolph can do with a full season.  If they completely collapse and end up a 4 win team, that would mean that Rudolph is likely not the answer.  In that case, they would be going hard for a top QB in the draft.
I'd be surprised if they won at SF this week.  I really just don't think they're trending in the right direction unfortunately.  I'll give them 5 wins.  Cinci 6.  Cleveland 9 and Baltimore 10.

Sounds like he wants to come back though, but might be time for a quick retool/rebuild.   

I'd be surprised if they won at SF this week.  I really just don't think they're trending in the right direction unfortunately.  I'll give them 5 wins.  Cinci 6.  Cleveland 9 and Baltimore 10.

Sounds like he wants to come back though, but might be time for a quick retool/rebuild.   
Time will tell.  Neither you or I know how Rudolph will pan out.  The Steelers are still very talented on both lines and that could be a recipe for success regardless of the rest of the team.  If Rudolph can hold the fort (and Steelers fans seem to think that's the case based on the limited action that we've seen from him), then they're winning more than 5 games.  We'll see about SF - I'm not sold just yet.  

If Rudolph plays well this year, how many of you think Roethlisberger has played his last down in Pittsburgh?  I know he signed a two year extension, but he could get traded.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports the Steelers are "optimistic Ben Roethlisberger will recover from elbow surgery to reattach three tendons."

Mort added that while Big Ben is not cleared to throw yet, he's tracking better and wants and expects to play in 2020 and beyond. Roethlisberger will turn 38 in March. The report comes as a calming clarification after indications that there could be some complications with the recovery of the Steelers' long-time franchise QB. Retirement will remain a constant question for as long as Big Ben continues to play.

SOURCE: Chris Mortensen on Twitter

Dec 23, 2019, 5:53 PM ET

Ben Roethlisberger (elbow) will undergo a "significant" checkup in February.

"That will be significant in terms of mapping out what is next," were coach Mike Tomlin's exact words on Tuesday. "But that is a moving target." It's unclear when Roethlisberger might resume practicing, but he should not be expected to do much during the offseason program. Big Ben turns 38 in early March.

SOURCE: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Dec 31, 2019, 4:15 PM ET

Steelers owner Art Rooney said the team still doesn't have a concrete timeline for Ben Roethlisberger's rehab.

"Everything we hear so far is positive," Rooney said. "He really, still, is in the early stages of his rehab. He hasn't been able to do a whole lot yet. That's going to start to ramp up here over the next couple of months, obviously." Roethlisberger is still expected to undergo a "significant" checkup in February to reveal his true status moving forward. As it stands, the 38-year-old won't be involved in the team's offseason workouts or camp as he continues with an eye on returning for Week 1.

SOURCE: Brooke Pryor on Twitter

Jan 15, 2020, 4:55 PM ET

When asked about Ben Roethlisberger's (elbow) recovery, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said, "All signs are good at this point."

Big Ben's recovery appears to be on track, but the team will have a much clearer idea of his health after his "significant" checkup on February 21. The medical staff should know how realistic a full recovery is and when it's realistic to have their franchise QB back on the field. Pittsburgh wants to run it back with Big Ben as the starter for at least one more year, but they remain a candidate to take a Day 2 quarterback in April's draft as long as Big Ben's health is up in the air. Roethlisberger will be entering his age-38 season this September.

SOURCE: Dale Lolley on Twitter

Feb 13, 2020, 1:46 PM ET

Colbert said he thinks the Ben's back ups did well and plans on keeping them and doesn't plan to sign anybody else. Dumb. Especially since they make it sound like Ben's recovery is not guaranteed.
Rudolph was ok until the Browns game. What are the alternatives? They don't pick high enough for Burrow, Tua, or Herbert. I'm not confident any of the other QB's are better than what they already have. What FA QB is signing on to backup Big Ben?

Last edited by a moderator:
Rudolph was ok until the Browns game. What are the alternatives? They don't pick high enough for Burrow, Tua, or Herbert. I'm not confident any of the other QB's are better than what they already have. What FA QB is signing on to backup Big Ben?
I wouldn't have let Landry Jones leave, personally. Maybe I'm wrong about that. 

Perhaps Rudolph played ok when defenses let him check down to Samuels, and managed to win some games in Joe Flacco fashion. Hes back up quality but a poor one, I don't think I'm alone on that take. With questions surrounding Ben's recovery and age, I think getting a better one should be a priority. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread