What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (3 Viewers)

As I posted in the training camp thread, I've been adding him in all my deep dynasty leagues. He's still available in most leagues, and flying under the radar.

Looks like the #3 RB in Miami, and I've seen articles saying that he is best fit for their system.

Last edited by a moderator:
People have been picking him up in all of my dynos this past week. It's all a bit cloudy with their whole RB situation and he might not even make the team, but if free then why not.

Per Rotoworld:

Dolphins UDFA Damien Williams has "at times has been the most impressive running back" behind Lamar Miller.

Williams went undrafted due to off-field issues at Oklahoma, but has the talent of a Day 2 pick. His roster chances are increased with Knowshon Moreno's health status up in the air. At 5-foot-11, 222, Williams ran 4.45 at the Combine with a 10-foot-1 broad jump. Williams is someone to monitor in deep leagues. He could push for the No. 2 running back job if Moreno isn't ready for Week 1. Aug 2 - 3:49 PM
Have to admit, as far as the UDFA RB type guys, his situation is the best. Basically Lamar Miller is the only talent ahead of him and he was pretty disappointing last year. Worth the last spot on your bench in dynasty to wait and see how this shakes out.

Rotoworld:

Damien Williams - RB - Dolphins

Dolphins undrafted RB Damien Williams rushed for 20 yards and one touchdown on 11 carries in Miami's second preseason game, adding three catches for 46 yards.

With all three of Knowshon Moreno, Daniel Thomas, and Mike Gillislee injured, Williams was the second running back through the rotation behind starter Lamar Miller. Williams is solidly-built at 5'11/221 and pounded his touchdown in from one yard out. Based on play, Williams is ahead of Thomas for a job. But we all know by now that the Dolphins love Thomas for some unknown reason.

Aug 16 - 10:54 PM

The only reason I'm not grabbing him is because I don't have roster room. Other than that I think he's a perfect "wait and see" candidate for the end of your bench. Compared to another UDFA in Crowell, Williams seems to have a much clearer path to holding onto a roster spot.

FBG Daily Email Updates

Volume 15, Issue #114 -- Friday Night, August 22nd, 2014

MIA - Damien Williams jumps ahead

Source: South Florida Sun-Sentinel - Omar Kelly

Miami Dolphins RB Damien Williams has leapfrogged RBs Daniel Thomas and Mike Gillislee on the depth chart.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Deep dynasty owners should be all over Williams. Re-draft owners should keep his name on waiver-wire speed dial. Williams was undrafted out of Oklahoma this year after being kicked off the Sooners football team for multiple violations of team rules. At 5'11" 222 pounds, Williams has a lightning fast 10-yard split (1.56) and can break off big runs (see 95-yard TD run in 2012 Cotton Bowl). He's got the upside to be an eventual starter, and his receiving ability makes him a great fit in OC Bill Lazor's offense.

****************************************************************************************

Super-deep sleepers to watchUpdated: August 20, 2014, 10:41 AM ET
By Christopher Harris | ESPN.comhttp://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/story/_/page/nfldk2k14superdeep/super-deep-sleepers-watch-include-alfred-blue-john-brown-joseph-randle

Damien Williams, RB, Miami Dolphins: Williams went undrafted in May after getting booted from the Oklahoma Sooners for multiple team violations. But he's big (a thick, squat 222 pounds), fast (4.45 wheels) and showed quick feet during his two collegiate seasons. Clearly, he's an off-field risk, but on the field he's significantly more talented than many of the options on the Dolphins' cluttered depth chart. In the past I've mentioned Mike Gillislee and even the eventually released Jonas Gray as possible deep sleepers in Miami, but Williams outdoes them all. Lamar Miller is a flag player of mine, but I'm not a Knowshon Moreno believer, and it would be no shock if Daniel Thomas gets released. Remember: If Moreno's knee issues recur, Williams could be a legit thumping complement to Miller.

Moreno and Miller aren't exactly studs. If Williams can get a bit of time and outshine them, I think he's got a shot to have value later in the season.

:blackdot: "Miami Dolphins RB Damien Williams has leapfrogged RBs Daniel Thomas and Mike Gillislee on the depth chart."

That's big news, imo.

Snagged him in a keeper League.
I think it's good news, not huge news. I think most had pretty low expectations for either of those backs to make the roster.
Agreed. Didn't say huge. And added "imo" at the end (in my opinion). I like how fast he passed both of them, and I like the opportunity there.

Moreno and Miller aren't exactly studs. If Williams can get a bit of time and outshine them, I think he's got a shot to have value later in the season.
After watching this kid, I'm a believer. If he gets on the field, I don't think they can keep his role from growing.Maybe just a wasted roster spot in redraft, but in dynasty I think he's going to be gold.

Big OU fan here and watched Williams his last 1.8 years in college (until he got the boot...ganja related). Don't think he was ever seen as a terrible kid, or locker room problem. He just got caught a few too many time and they had to follow policy. Always worked hard in the weight room too.

Tons of talent here. Game breaking speed, great hands and good power. The biggest issue was his propensity to try and bounce everything, even when there was nothing there. He has the capability to run guys over and grind out tough yards, but he'd rather try to hit homer runs. Also, some questions about his vision, but that was mainly due to him trying to bounce everything.

That said, I think he has the talent to be a good NFL back, and with the right opportunity he could be a valuable fantasy asset.

I'm debating between him and CJ Anderson for the broncos as speculative adds this week.

Lamichael James had a favorable workout. No contract offered. (yet?)

He could be a monkey wrench to the FF plans here

Big OU fan here and watched Williams his last 1.8 years in college (until he got the boot...ganja related). Don't think he was ever seen as a terrible kid, or locker room problem. He just got caught a few too many time and they had to follow policy. Always worked hard in the weight room too.

Tons of talent here. Game breaking speed, great hands and good power. The biggest issue was his propensity to try and bounce everything, even when there was nothing there. He has the capability to run guys over and grind out tough yards, but he'd rather try to hit homer runs. Also, some questions about his vision, but that was mainly due to him trying to bounce everything.

That said, I think he has the talent to be a good NFL back, and with the right opportunity he could be a valuable fantasy asset.

I'm debating between him and CJ Anderson for the broncos as speculative adds this week.
would he compare to a bryce brown?

he runs in a way that draft people would say-he runs too upright and that'll lead to injuries in the pros.

I disagree on the previous. I don't think he's a grind it out guy, but avoids contact and that's why he bounces too much.

Plenty of time to fix these things, who knows if he does now.

I like a back to be fast n fancy, but he's gotta get his nose in there sometimes.

Talent is there to be an NFL player. It's been too long to know what quality of an NFL player he could be.

I'm picking him up and spending some considerable WW $ on him.

He's not as good as Murray was, definitely a step down IMO, but still quite good.

Williams only meets one and a half of the required traits listed above. However, Williams has all of the preferred traits mentioned. I expect Williams to receive a major portion of the reps this Sunday as the Dolphins explore what this UDFA can provide to the team.
A "major" portion?

Btw Darkwa played at Tulane, they seem to be generating good skill position talent in the pro style program these days, Ryan Griffin, Ryan Grant and Derrick Strozier are three I can think of.

az_prof said:

No. He doesn't run like Bryce Brown at all. He is a one trick pony--runs outside well, but doesn't know how to pick lane and ball it tough inside.
Which one is the one trick pony Brown or Williams?

Williams only meets one and a half of the required traits listed above. However, Williams has all of the preferred traits mentioned. I expect Williams to receive a major portion of the reps this Sunday as the Dolphins explore what this UDFA can provide to the team.
A "major" portion?

Btw Darkwa played at Tulane, they seem to be generating good skill position talent in the pro style program these days, Ryan Griffin, Ryan Grant and Derrick Strozier are three I can think of.
Some guy named Forte.

Was forced to drop Williams week 2 for a TE flier to deal with Reed's injury. TE flier was Bostick, so I got a zero from the position.

Beat to Williams on waiver priority this AM. :violin:

CSB. :kicksrock:

I hope this author is right--I am in dire need of a RB2 who can be mildly productive. Bush and Vereen obviously aren't going to cut it. Time to buy some lotter ytickets and hope for paydirt!
Obviously?

Would you really start Williams ahead of either of those guys?

I hope this author is right--I am in dire need of a RB2 who can be mildly productive. Bush and Vereen obviously aren't going to cut it. Time to buy some lotter ytickets and hope for paydirt!
Seems like a whole bunch of speculation in that article.
You sir, only fill 1 and 3/4s of the required traits and absolutely non of the preferred traits. Have a nice day.

Seems like a whole bunch of speculation in that article.
You sir, only fill 1 and 3/4s of the required traits and absolutely non of the preferred traits. Have a nice day.
Yet I'm the best candidate, right?

az_prof said:

No. He doesn't run like Bryce Brown at all. He is a one trick pony--runs outside well, but doesn't know how to pick lane and ball it tough inside.
Which one is the one trick pony Brown or Williams?
I wouldn't put him in the same category as Brown, who stacks up athletically with any back in the league.

Williams has power and has the ability to grind out yards -- he's physically capable of it and I've seen him do it in spurts, just not consistently. He never had a large enough sample size for me to be able to tell if he was just stubborn/immature and wanted to break everything, or if he had a lack of vision and aversion to contact.

In the end, he's not my top guy for waiver pick ups this week, but in deeper leagues he's worth a flyer simply due to his size/speed ratio and the potential opportunity in front of him.

This highlight film from the 2012 texas game highlights the good and bad of Williams...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RNXJGCWn60

they didnt sign daniel thomas to play special teams... will this kid even see the field?
Williams made the team over Thomas. So why would they give more playing time to Thomas ? Ireland isn't there anymore to pressure coaches to play Thomas. Wouldn't be a shock if they cut Thomas after game to pickup a better street free agent. He is a terrible fit for Lazor's offense.Miller practice today so the whole Williams vs. Thomas debate is likely pointless. Miller will be the bellcow, and Williams will get a few touches.

they didnt sign daniel thomas to play special teams... will this kid even see the field?
yeah, they re-signed the guy off the street who got cut while they kept williams.

do any of you 'sharks' understand coaches don't really care to go into a game with a single guy at a position?

yeah, they re-signed the guy off the street who got cut while they kept williams.

do any of you 'sharks' understand coaches don't really care to go into a game with a single guy at a position?
i would say most coaches have their 3rd RB as a development/high upside younger guy.... and those guys typically are needed on special teams.... if this kid isnt playing special teams right now I'd be shocked... i don't know what thomas' experience on special teams is but seeing how last year he was in a 50-50 timeshare at RB i doubt he played special teams.

the coaches know what daniel thomas is...last year they trusted him to be the 3rd down/passing back.... obviously this season they signed moreno and felt it was more prudent to let this kid be the 3rd RB behind miller and knowshown.... than to keep the very ordinary thomas as a 3rd RB

I dont think its crazy to assume thomas will get work

i would say most coaches have their 3rd RB as a development/high upside younger guy.... and those guys typically are needed on special teams.... if this kid isnt playing special teams right now I'd be shocked... i don't know what thomas' experience on special teams is but seeing how last year he was in a 50-50 timeshare at RB i doubt he played special teams.

the coaches know what daniel thomas is...last year they trusted him to be the 3rd down/passing back.... obviously this season they signed moreno and felt it was more prudent to let this kid be the 3rd RB behind miller and knowshown.... than to keep the very ordinary thomas as a 3rd RB

they did?

Just about every preseason article on the Miami RBs said that Williams looked a lot better than Thomas and was a better fit for the offense. I don't think a general theory about special teams applies to this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread