What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Damien Williams, ATL (6 Viewers)

KC is in a pretty good spot here.....they have a guy (DW) who can be the guy......Thompson will have a year under him, and there is still the other Williams and maybe McCoy (probably not).....so KC can let free agency and the draft kind of come to them....there is always some FA depth out there heading into the season, so they can take a sniff in the draft if they see something they like or they can wait....KC would be a solid destination if you are a fringe FA RB.....the line of FA that would like to come to KC (at any position) is going to be pretty long.....its almost like KC could benefit by adding another “Damien Williams” type of back in the way people thought about him before the Chiefs signed him....a guy that is kind of an afterthought elsewhere, but fits the system in KC....

jm192 said:
They'll draft someone.  Then Williams will be that annoying vet that won't get out of the rookie's way.  And we'll all be guessing all off-season.
It's possible he just flashed at the right time a la Spencer Ware a few years ago, but it's also possible that Williams finally showed what he can do. He was viewed as having a strong all-around skill set in Miami, and now he's yet another guy to thrive when leaving the Adam Gase system.

The only question appears to be health, in that he still can't seem to be able to hold up over the course of a season. That may indeed pave the way for Thompson, Darrel Williams, or perhaps someone else, if Damien falters.

All I know is that I want a piece of that backfield if it's a reasonable price.

Damien Williams will never be a full time healthy starter for the Chiefs until someone fixes the spelling of his name in the thread title.

Damien Williams will never be a full time healthy starter for the Chiefs until someone fixes the spelling of his name in the thread title.
I have never noticed that. Holy cow. Two "l's." Seriously never saw it. Of course, I'm in no position to change anything...

He's still not that great a runner. SF was playing a lot four rush and almost never had eight in the box, giving him plenty of room to run. 

I can see KC drafting a rb in like the 3rd to be 1a1/1b with Williams and Darwin expanding his role a bit as well making it tough to know week to week. 

I honestly don’t care what happens between now and next August, I will not be drafting a Kansas City running back again

Chiefs exercised RB Damien Williams' 2020 option.

Williams will make $2.3 million in the final year of his deal. He was limited to just 11 games last season, but Williams was Kansas City's best back when healthy. The Chiefs should still look to upgrade on him, but Williams enters the offseason as the favorite to lead the backfield in touches.
Unless KC drafts a better player with his skillset, I can see him being drafted in the first 3 rounds again... and after he's dropped I'll nab him in FA.

Chiefs exercised RB Damien Williams' 2020 option.

Williams will make $2.3 million in the final year of his deal. He was limited to just 11 games last season, but Williams was Kansas City's best back when healthy. The Chiefs should still look to upgrade on him, but Williams enters the offseason as the favorite to lead the backfield in touches.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 16, 2020, 8:25 AM ET

dude doesn't have the beastly qualities of a Barkley or something.....but his skill set seems to fit this offense pretty darn good when healthy....and in this offense you can't ignore that....

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Damien Williams will remain the starter, but first-round rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire will "compete for playing time."

“I certainly think it’s going to be a shared load,” Veach said. “Damien has been in this offense for a long time and certainly has shown what he can do on that playoff run. The guy’s a really good pass protector [and] can catch the football. I mean, both these guys can run and catch and certainly Damien will come in as the starting running back and Clyde will have to come in here and compete for playing time, which we think he’ll do. But I think it will be a one-two punch.” No matter how Veach feels, the fact is Williams hasn't handled more than 111 carries and 30 catches at any point in his six-year career. The Fresh Prince of Helaire is fully expected to handle Kansas City's third-down role while Williams splits early down carries, and that workload isn't projected to change barring an immense breakout for either during the league's hypothetical preseason. It's very clear both will share touches unless an injury separates the two mid-year.

RELATED: 

Damien Williams

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk on Twitter

May 1, 2020, 12:01 AM ET

Chiefs GM Brett Veach said Damien Williams will remain the starter, but first-round rookie Clyde Edwards-Helaire will "compete for playing time."
If you can find a guy in your league that BELIEVES this, take whatever you can get for Williams now. 

You don't draft RB's in the first round to sit and "compete for playing time". Unless Williams takes a big pay cut I doubt he's on the final roster in 2020. KC only has ~$3mil in cap space right now and can gain $4.5Mil of cap space by releasing Williams. There are just too many RB's out there willing to play for the vet minimum to backup CEH on a SB team.

It this was a normal offseason where CEH and a new vet would have time to acclimate to the offense the move would already be made imo. RB's fit in quick so I still think the move ultimately gets made unless Williams is willing to take backup money. Maybe an "extension" with lots of funny money on the back end for Williams and his agent to save face. As soon as the round 1 pick was announced the writing was on the wall for Williams no matter what they are saying publicly.

If you can find a guy in your league that BELIEVES this, take whatever you can get for Williams now. 

You don't draft RB's in the first round to sit and "compete for playing time". Unless Williams takes a big pay cut I doubt he's on the final roster in 2020. KC only has ~$3mil in cap space right now and can gain $4.5Mil of cap space by releasing Williams. There are just too many RB's out there willing to play for the vet minimum to backup CEH on a SB team.

It this was a normal offseason where CEH and a new vet would have time to acclimate to the offense the move would already be made imo. RB's fit in quick so I still think the move ultimately gets made unless Williams is willing to take backup money. Maybe an "extension" with lots of funny money on the back end for Williams and his agent to save face. As soon as the round 1 pick was announced the writing was on the wall for Williams no matter what they are saying publicly.
I see a time share, myself.

I see a time share, myself.
Williams is dandy in pass pro. That kneecap didn't just heal overnight. Keep the franchise clean until CEH can prove that he belongs out on the field picking up blitzes. It'll be a timeshare at the beginning, at least according to most prognosticators and common sense. Not that arguments against lack common sense. It's just Ockham's razor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Even Adrian Peterson split time as a rookie.

As rockaction points out William's is very good at pass protection. He is going to play.

I still think CEH is the top rookie player because of the situation.

From a dynasty perspective, the talk of Damien (& Kerryon) being the starter or in a true RBBC is essentially coach/GM-speak.

That said, we're in unprecedented times. COVID-19 fallout could definitely hurt rookies, not to mention the general trend of rookies having to earn their way.

However, by mid-season (likely earlier), you'll see CEH, & especially Swift, be off & running (pun intended).

CEH will be lead sooner than later. But no reason to get rid of the top  (?) handcuff for pennies on the dollar. 

Nevermind, I actually had forgot that there was a Damien Wiliams(KC) and a Damien Williams(KC) both on the same team. The RB would only save them a little over $2mil if released NOT $5mil. That's much more reasonable for a RBBC veteran. 

Completely my bad for getting the two different Damien Williams(KC) contracts confused.

How much of a thorn is he in the side of CEH owners this year?

The GM said Williams would remain the starter.  Obviously, GM speak in May isn't worth a ton.  CEH is a great talent and a perfect fit for the offense.

But I think Williams definitely has a role here.  And he's a good fit for the offense.  He's fast and able to hit the big plays.  He was huge in the playoffs, scoring 6 TD's in 3 games.  I don't think he just goes away this year.  Could he have a 50/50 split this year with CEH taking over full time duties the following year?  

He's a top or the top handcuff.  But he could have solid flex play value if he can get ~10 touches a game in this offense.  

I love CEH, but in terms of redraft--if I'm paying 2nd or 3rd round prices--I'm iffy on it unless we see that he's getting the full or most of the work load.

How much of a thorn is he in the side of CEH owners this year?

The GM said Williams would remain the starter.  Obviously, GM speak in May isn't worth a ton.  CEH is a great talent and a perfect fit for the offense.

But I think Williams definitely has a role here.  And he's a good fit for the offense.  He's fast and able to hit the big plays.  He was huge in the playoffs, scoring 6 TD's in 3 games.  I don't think he just goes away this year.  Could he have a 50/50 split this year with CEH taking over full time duties the following year?  

He's a top or the top handcuff.  But he could have solid flex play value if he can get ~10 touches a game in this offense.  

I love CEH, but in terms of redraft--if I'm paying 2nd or 3rd round prices--I'm iffy on it unless we see that he's getting the full or most of the work load.
He'll be injured before fantasy playoffs so it's not too much of a problem.

Nevermind, I actually had forgot that there was a Damien Wiliams(KC) and a Damien Williams(KC) both on the same team. The RB would only save them a little over $2mil if released NOT $5mil. That's much more reasonable for a RBBC veteran. 

Completely my bad for getting the two different Damien Williams(KC) contracts confused.
There aren't two Daimen Williams.  Damien Williams - RB, Darryl Williams, RB, and Damien Wilson, LB.

Chiefs RBs coach Deland McCullough expects a "big jump" from Damien Williams this season. 

“Just listening to the way Damien spoke about himself and the things we’re doing and the things he’s going to do to improve, I think his maturation in this offense is going to be a big jump this year," was McCullough's full quote. All the focus has been on Clyde Edwards-Helaire since he came off the board on Night 1 of the draft, but it is very much up for debate if the diminutive LSU product is readymade for an early-down role in the NFL. CEH is a dynamite pass catcher, but Williams also excels in that area. Coach Andy Reid was comfortable with a committee in 2019. Especially in the context of the coronavirus-shortened offseason, it should not be surprising if Reid heads that direction again. CEH's ADP is a leap of faith.  

RELATED: 

Clyde Edwards-Helaire

SOURCE: The Athletic 

Jul 5, 2020, 3:54 PM ET

I'm planning to target him everywhere.  

I understand the draft capital they spent on CEH.  I think CEH eventually dominates the backfield.  But I don't think it'll be in 2020.  

Williams was so effective in the playoffs.  He got 19 touches a game and delivered big time.  He knows the offense.  They trust him.  He's shown the ability to hit those home run plays.  He's good in the passing game.

I don't think it's a situation of "will the rookie overtake the vet," so much as it's they're going to use Williams--who is extremely effective--to keep the load light on CEH this year.  I think he could realistically see 10-12 touches a game this year.  Obviously if CEH gets hurt, he shoots up.  And there's always a chance the rookie is slow to adjust to the league.  I'm not banking on it.  But with COVID-19 cutting back off-season team activities--Williams familiarity with the offense is a positive.  I can see a situation where both guys see a similar number of touches, and I'm getting Williams 5 or 6 rounds later.

Per fantasypros:  His ADP is 94 in PPR, 87 in Standard.  You're talking 8th or 9th round for a guy that's probably a solid flex play with a lot more upside if things fall his way.  I'm not banking on the upside--but in the 8th or 9th round, I'm a buyer.  

I understand the draft capital they spent on CEH.  I think CEH eventually dominates the backfield.  But I don't think it'll be in 2020.  

Williams was so effective in the playoffs.  He got 19 touches a game and delivered big time.  He knows the offense.  They trust him.  He's shown the ability to hit those home run plays.  He's good in the passing game.

I don't think it's a situation of "will the rookie overtake the vet," so much as it's they're going to use Williams--who is extremely effective--to keep the load light on CEH this year.  I think he could realistically see 10-12 touches a game this year.  Obviously if CEH gets hurt, he shoots up.  And there's always a chance the rookie is slow to adjust to the league.  I'm not banking on it.  But with COVID-19 cutting back off-season team activities--Williams familiarity with the offense is a positive.  I can see a situation where both guys see a similar number of touches, and I'm getting Williams 5 or 6 rounds later.

Per fantasypros:  His ADP is 94 in PPR, 87 in Standard.  You're talking 8th or 9th round for a guy that's probably a solid flex play with a lot more upside if things fall his way.  I'm not banking on the upside--but in the 8th or 9th round, I'm a buyer.  
I agree with this. In redraft leagues it seems ultra risky to grab CEH in the late second where his ADP is when Williams is still in the picture. Conversely, it seems like good value to grab Williams, who has the same starting potential but could be grabbed 6 rounds later. Definitely targeting Williams as a mid-round upside pick, worst case scenario he gets dropped, not the first time that happens with an 8th round pick. 

don't forget the limited rookie camp and perhaps little to no preseason and everyone can grab CEH at his ADP and we can all take Damien later and reap the benefits 

According to most experts, Edwards-Helaire was not the top RB in the class heading into the draft. In Tony Pauline’s scouting report, he expected Edwards-Helaire to fall in the draft “because of his lack of speed and inability to create yardage” but also expected him “to have an immediate impact as a rotational back, and he ultimately could be a feature runner.” In his Chiefs Draft Grade article, Ian Cummings said that “with several quality running backs on the board at 32, it may have been more prudent for the Chiefs to trade back and take one in the second round, but Edwards-Helaire will provide value to the offense.”

During my own review of Edwards-Helaire leading up to the draft, I also saw him as a great compliment back in an offense looking for something dynamic. I definitely don’t think he’ll be a workhorse back, at least not right away, even though that’s generally what Andy Reid prefers.

As the new Chiefs’ fantasy running back of choice, Edwards-Helaire saw a massive boost in his value with his new landing spot and first-round draft capital. After the combine, he was ranked as the 8th best rookie, 5th best RB. Andrew Jordan even said, “the question marks about his size and downright atrocious display of pass-blocking drops the LSU running back a full tier below Akers.” After the draft, however, he shot up to number one overall and was compared to Maurice Jones-Drew. This was all because the Chiefs reached to grab him so early.
most damning part of that article

I'm hoping the CEH love continues and can get Williams late as his current ADP.  He's an impact player and will have a role , especially if CEH can't protect the Franchis QB

In his 5 career playoff games with KC, he has 540 yards and 10 TDs. I don't think Andy Reid is going to be in any rush to phase him out of the offense. 

In his 5 career playoff games with KC, he has 540 yards and 10 TDs. I don't think Andy Reid is going to be in any rush to phase him out of the offense. 
I looked at those last two playoff runs... he was at 3.9 a carry.  He does have 10 TDs.

He has been good and usable, but the Helaire talent is huge and will push Williams to an afterthought by the end of the year.

I looked at those last two playoff runs... he was at 3.9 a carry.  But you missed a ton of TDs. He has had 16 TDs.

He has been good and usable, but the Helaire talent is huge and will push Williams to an afterthought by the end of the year.
He had 16 TD's in 5 career playoff games?  Really?

Users who are viewing this thread